What was the total cost of your divorce?

22,268 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by coastalaggie
Seven Costanza
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How long did the entire process take? Is there anything that you wish you had done differently knowing what you know now (about the process, not the marriage)?
The Grinder (99)
AG
Disclaimer: im not divorced and don't plan on getting divorced.

A rich acquaintance of mine recently explained divocost to me. "You know why divorce is so expensive? ... cause it's worth it!"
Talon2DSO
AG
Ours worked out really well. Neither of us was put for blood and we cooperated with each other well. It cost me about $8,000 in attorney fees.

Now I'm happily married and my wife and ex have a great friendship with each other. So far I'm pretty lucky about how it turned out.
Seven Costanza
AG
That's great. $8k is basically nothing.
Ag_EE
AG
Mine was a hostile divorce that went to trial. Took 14 months to get judgement.

Lessons learned:
Find a good attorney - cannot be stressed enough
Limit the alimony as much as you can - should have paid less
Get joint physical and legal custody of the kids - got this one right
Equitable arrangement on medical expenses and their definition - had to go to second trial to resolve
Definition of child care - addressed during second trial as ex-spouse wanted karate camps, space camps, etc defined as child care
If you get the residence in the settlement, be sure you're there when your ex moves out. I was not and the ex took things that were to remain and had to be resolved in second trial

There were probably others that I can't remember.

It was painful and costly, but as another poster stated, it was worth it.
Humorous Username
AG
My neighbors' divorce has lasted over a year now, and the husband told me his attorney fees so far have been $21,000.

They've argued about a lot, and I've heard way too much about the skeletons in their respective closets while they each try to get primary custody of their young son.
Talon2DSO
AG
Seven Costanza said:

That's great. $8k is basically nothing.

Yep. From the get go we decided to play nice for the sake of our daughter. When we made our daughter's security and consistency our priority, it completely shifted how we handled ourselves in the divorce. Our daughter just realized about a month ago what divorce is because of someone at her school. She has no idea how good she has it
PneumAg
If you get through a divorce for under $50,000, consider yourself extremely lucky. They go way, way over that pretty often.

I don't do family law, but a client of mine I represented in another lawsuit wanted me as co-counsel in his divorce since I'm familiar with his web of businesses. His was filed in July 2018, and his divorce lawyer has billed him $150,000. I've been trying to keep the bills low and have billed him about $100,000. We've had 7 or 8 hearings, a dozen depositions, and a lot of written discovery.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I think there's a correlation between costs and levels of BSC.
Ag with kids
AG
$500. 1 year marriage. No kids. We rented. I bought a divorce kit online. Went to court by myself because she did not want to dispute anything. She gave up her rights. Judge shook my hand and said congratulations.
Dr.Rumack
If we did it might be north of $60k
Ag with kids
AG
I think it was $1500 flat fee for the attorney.

I got the house and the kids. Passed on having her pay child support because you can't get blood from a turnip and it would have cost more in attorney fees and she wouldn't have paid anyways.

Met my late wife 2 days after I filed. Much better deal on that one...
Tatem
Ib4

Have you tried counseling?
HHAG
AG
eleventy billion. So worth it.
91_Aggie
AG
Sounds lke those paying the most are the dumbest who make many bad/horrible life choices
HHAG
AG
Well, from experience, I can tell you that psychotics can hide it well. When you come home from a business trip and find your"sweet and wonderful" wife in the Fresno county jail, life choices really don't matter.
GiveEmHellBill
AG

Half.
Smittyfubar
AG
Priceless!
OregonAggie
AG
$44K Between the 2 of us and we didn't even get to trial. Came to an agreement during mediation.
Tatem
HHAG said:

Well, from experience, I can tell you that psychotics can hide it well. When you come home from a business trip and find your"sweet and wonderful" wife in the Fresno county jail, life choices really don't matter.

Yeah, we're gonna need some more details on this one
Seven Costanza
AG
OregonAggie said:

$44K Between the 2 of us and we didn't even get to trial. Came to an agreement during mediation.
Just for the costs of the process, or does that include stuff that you gave her?
rwtxag83
OregonAggie
AG
Seven Costanza said:

OregonAggie said:

Just for the costs of the process, or does that include stuff that you gave her?

That's just the process. I had some alimony to pay as well that isn't factored in.
rhoswen
AG
$270 court fees and parking at the courthouse.
aggiecadet09
$300 total fees. I got full custody, she kept the house.
Builder93
AG
These are the only ones who win in a divorce.
BaitShack
AG
Not much. We agreed on the details and did our own paperwork. I think it took 2 or 3 months.
permabull
AG
TJJackson
Just court fees 250-300ish. Doing it Pro Se and it being a mutual parting saved thousands.
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave.

-Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
I just killed my wife, she had a million dollar life insurance policy.
ballchain
Post removed:
by user
agneck
We got your message, you are very important and make a lot of money.
BaitShack
AG
ballchain said:

UghWhile the $$$$ spent on attorneys can be accounted for, the years of anguish and torment cannot. There's no way to account for the years of lost revenue potential. I was alone in the courtroom the final day, and the judge almost broke down watching me almost break down as I responded to her questions to finalize everything.

When it was over, she wished me the best of luck and I bee-lined it to the nearest bathroom to break down for about 30 minutes before regaining composure enough to get in my car and drive away.

I swore an oath when I got married, and never wanted it to end, but life isn't fair sometimes.
Ugh, walked out of the courtroom to the toon of "the dance" in our heads.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.