Another Brewery Sells Out

5,786 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TxFig
IrishTxAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New Belgium Brewing Sells to Kirin, Ending Decades of Independent Ownership

Quote:

Colorado's largest and most storied craft beer maker, said today that it plans to sell 100 percent of the company to a subsidiary of the Kirin beer conglomerate. The move would mean an end to New Belgium's employee ownership and its proud legacy of independent ownership.

As the fourth-largest craft brewery in the nation, it will also force the Boulder-based Brewers Association to consider how it defines craft breweries, as the sale would eliminate New Belgium from its definition.
Ragoo
AG
Who cares?
Joe Exotic
AG
Ragoo said:

Who cares?

Dbags that drink beer that tastes like lawn clippings
Unemployed
AG
I think you meant to say "Another brewery takes advantage of capitalism and is gonna make a crap ton of money because gdammit, it is AMERICA!!!"
AgsMyDude
AG
Quote:

More than 300 of New Belgium's employee-owners will receive more than $100,000 in retirement money through the deal

SCREW THOSE PEOPLE, RIGHT?

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/11/19/new-belgium-brewing-sale-kirin/

IrishTxAggie
AG
RealTalk said:

I think you meant to say "Another brewery takes advantage of capitalism and is gonna make a crap ton of money because gdammit, it is AMERICA!!!"
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the capitalist model and support these people in doing what they want to financially. Still sellouts. I'd happily take a label as a sellout for that type of coin.
Aero95
AG
AgsMyDude said:

Quote:

More than 300 of New Belgium's employee-owners will receive more than $100,000 in retirement money through the deal

Good for all of them. Especially in an increasingly competitive market where the small micros seem to be taking share from old/established (but still good) breweries like NB. If I were an employee getting paid, I'd be very happy... Especially considering that the payday might never be higher with a greater chance of it declining in the future. NB might've overextended going to Asheville and this might be a bailout...
aggie_fan13
AG
we're all capitalists til we aren't
6.5 Swede
Yah, when have the Irish ever cared about the Dutch?

Just Kidding!

Read the article and looks like the employees are getting well taken care of and KIRIN is infusing the company with cash. Should be able to keep it's craft beer identity.
tu- DDU * where NFL Dreams go to Die U
et98
AG
I thought for sure New Belgium had already sold out.

Maybe I just assume that about all easily-accessible beers, and it seems that New Belgium is already in every grocery store.
hairloom
IPAs are ass my dude!
Out in Left Field
AG
Aero95 said:

AgsMyDude said:

Quote:

Good for all of them. Especially in an increasingly competitive market where the small micros seem to be taking share from old/established (but still good) breweries like SN. If I were an employee getting paid, I'd be very happy... Especially considering that the payday might never be higher with a greater chance of it declining in the future. SN might've overextended going to Asheville and this might be a bailout...

Where was Sierra Nevada mentioned?
Aero95
AG
Duh, got my big craft breweries mixed up! Gonna edit...
randy828
AG
Bummer to hear this.

I have always loved Fat Tire and my favorite was their Sunshine. And for a dark beer, 1554 was not bad. Also loved when they used to do Bier de Mars and their Two Cherry Ale.

My ex-wife, who went to Colorado State, went on a tour of the brewery when we visited Fort Collins somewhere around 1999. One of her friends worked there...the employees could take home all the beer that had messed up labels for free. Beautiful girl, free beer. How she was single, I don't know.

Never heard of this one:

I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
Mort Rainey
New Belgium makes average beer
Tex117
AG
Was my first "craft beer" back in the late 90s.
TXAG 05
AG
Tex117 said:

You always were a fancy one.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Tex117 said:

damn before you had a shiner bock?
diehard03
cost of expansion is high when you're already a certain size.
TX AG 88
AG
So I don't understand the dilemma here. The brewery got bought out by a bigger enterprise (apparently to the great benefit of the brewery employees) and this matters why?

Does the beer not taste the same?

(Is this like a band gaining too much popularity, for you to like it anymore?)
Bird Poo
AG
One of the first craft beers. I would seek out fat tire for several years. Still has a unique taste but it's been surpassed by 10,000 other beers on the market.

Craft brewing is incredibly competitive nowadays.
Texmid
AG
My daughter moved to Colorado at the first of this year. Her house is just a few miles from this brewery. If you are ever up there you should take the tour. They will let you drink as much beer as you want, for free, while on the tour. I took full advantage.
ought1ag
AG
I've got some in my fridge - its pretty decent
diehard03
Quote:

So I don't understand the dilemma here. The brewery got bought out by a bigger enterprise (apparently to the great benefit of the brewery employees) and this matters why?

Depends. Many times they move certain beers to higher volume production locations and the water is different...which, in turn, changes the taste of the beer. They might also mess with the recipe to broaden a certain beer's appeal to the masses.

I don't think anyone's mad at employees and owners cashing out at a high level. But changes are coming to the beer and brand itself...and these aren't always the best ones based on your tastes.
512Ag
AG
I keep hearing complaints about all these small and/or independent breweries selling out. Can't they just brew more beer?

/dadjoke
Ragoo
AG
62strat
AG
TX AG 88 said:

(Is this like a band gaining too much popularity, for you to like it anymore?)
The general argument is when a brewery, like Karbach, sells to InBev specificaly, who is very much anti-small breweries. So that type of arrangement is hypocritical in nature, and ruffles feathers.

It doesn't apply to New Belgium, since they didn't sell to InBev. So no one really cares. Avery sold to non inbev, firestone walker, ballast point, boulevard.. on and on and on.. no one cares about these buy outs from breweries that aren't inbev.
bmc13
AG

Ragoo
AG
Avery - maharaja
Firestone walker - wookey Jack

Good beers
The Lost
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Depends. Many times they move certain beers to higher volume production locations and the water is different...which, in turn, changes the taste of the beer. They might also mess with the recipe to broaden a certain beer's appeal to the masses.

I don't think anyone's mad at employees and owners cashing out at a high level. But changes are coming to the beer and brand itself...and these aren't always the best ones based on your tastes.

Yeah, it will help some employees who have been there a while. It was hilarious though that the first reason the cofounder listed as selling out was it the ESOP was too expensive and too many were selling out.

Really the most entertaining out come would be the employees voting this down.
62strat
AG
The Lost said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

Really the most entertaining out come would be the employees voting this down.
pretty sure that can't happen, seeing as the 2-3 people who drafted this up own majority share over the other hundred.
TxFig
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

New Belgium Brewing Sells to Kirin, Ending Decades of Independent Ownership

Quote:

Colorado's largest and most storied craft beer maker, said today that it plans to sell 100 percent of the company to a subsidiary of the Kirin beer conglomerate. The move would mean an end to New Belgium's employee ownership and its proud legacy of independent ownership.

As the fourth-largest craft brewery in the nation, it will also force the Boulder-based Brewers Association to consider how it defines craft breweries, as the sale would eliminate New Belgium from its definition.

Ok Boomer.
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.