prenup

5,692 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TyHolden
aggie_fan13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
yay or nay ?

i want to hear thoughts on if this is a good idea or not ?
FDT 1999
AG
Depends on how much you have coming in.
Big Tuna
Do you have significant assets, personal or business? Then yes. Get one. And get one from someone who specializes in family law, not on ****ing legal zoom.
Woody2006
AG
Better idea, just don't get married.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
If you have significant assets prior to marriage it makes a lot of sense to get one. A reasonable prenup can be worked out so it doesn't have to be about leaving her with nothing.

If you have family money or kids from a prior marriage then I'd think it would be assumed that you would get a prenup to protect the money that you are partially responsible to use to help other people.
aggie_fan13
AG
what makes you say that ?
Bob Knights Paper Hands
He says that because traditional family and marriages are the new racist for liberals. Just another way they are attempting to break down our society.
Duncan Idaho
Bob Knights Liver said:

If you have significant assets prior to marriage it makes a lot of sense to get one. A reasonable prenup can be worked out so it doesn't have to be about leaving her with nothing.

If you have family money or kids from a prior marriage then I'd think it would be assumed that you would get a prenup to protect the money that you are partially responsible to use to help other people.

Why would you want to protect any previous kids? Unless you are widowed, you already ruined their life by breaking up the family or the kids were so terrible you had to get out of there. So why throw good money after bad. Write them off and try again with new ones.
The Lost
If im 40 and gonna marry a smokin hot 23 y/o. Yes.

If I'm 30 and dating a 28 y/o and neither of us have any real assets to care about, then no.
Burn-It
AG
If you declare your financial assets as separate property prior to getting married and don't dip into those assets for shared expenses after getting married, you should be OK without a formal prenup.

For example, if you have a large IRA, you can declare it as separate property prior to marriage. As long as you don't tap into it for something that benefits both of you (ex. purchasing a house), she will not have access to it if you end up getting divorced.

Your 401k may be protected as separate property for the balance up to the point of marriage, but the growth and contributions made following marriage would be communal property.
AKA 13-0
Old RV Ag
AG

Old RV Ag
AG
If you are asking this question on the GB, you don't have enough assets to worry about protecting so in OP case the answer is NO!
aggie_fan13
AG
I wanted opinions mate
Get Off My Lawn
The divorce rate isnt actually a coin flip. The "half of marriages" line includes frequent fliers. So if neither of you is divorced, your odds of making it work are better than not. Even better if both participants were raised in an in-tact household. And if you share the same primary values. And both approach it with a "divorce is not an option" mentality. And are both highly conscientious of the other.

Those with prenups may think differently, but it seems to be planning for failure - which isnt a great foundation of a healthy marriage.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Are you marrying Marissa Oren of Brasserie 19 meltdown fame or someone of her ilk? If yes, a prenup is a great idea because without one, she's going to leave with all your money and your days of golfing with Clyde Drexler are OVER.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Polishing brass on the Titanic.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Why dont y'all just marry hot girls that make a lot of money?

That's what I am doing.
aggie_fan13
AG
I like the cut of your jib
Woody2006
AG
Bob Knights Liver said:

He says that because traditional family and marriages are the new racist for liberals. Just another way they are attempting to break down our society.
Whoa, did I make a wrong turn somewhere and end up in forum 16?
Woody2006
AG
azulAg said:

You'll find out if you do.
mrad85
AG
I'd say a hard pass if she's got all the money.
aggie_fan13
AG
i know you think youre funny, youre not
Old RV Ag
AG
azulAg said:

i know you think youre funny, youre not
Coming from you, that's a compliment.

And, well, at least I don't start countless threads about nothing - although you're fox thread in fear of your cat on the OB was spectacular!
aggie_fan13
AG
how original, never heard that one before, yawn
diablo loco
I'm early 40s and got divorced a while back. No chance I get married again without one. If you have significant assets, protect them cause no one else will. haha.
Old RV Ag
AG
azulAg said:

how original, never heard that one before, yawn
And am sure you'll hear it again, and again, and again....sleep well if that puts you to sleep.

You can put your cat in a prenup probably if that's what's really worrying you.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
CharlieBrown17
AG
You just get laid off or retire Old RV Ag? You've been bleeding all over the GB an unnecessary amount recently.
Woody2006
AG
C@LAg said:

azulAg said:

I believe he has been quoted before as claiming to have been divorced previously so I think his opinion might be tainted somewhat.

But I do agree with them. Avoid marriage if you can. Outdated concept that serves no purpose in the modern world and can be easily replaced with legal agreements.

"I believe he has been quoted before as claiming to have been divorced"?

Who writes like that?
MR Gadsden
I highly recommend a hot sugar mama.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
The Fife
Burn-It said:

If you declare your financial assets as separate property prior to getting married and don't dip into those assets for shared expenses after getting married, you should be OK without a formal prenup.

For example, if you have a large IRA, you can declare it as separate property prior to marriage. As long as you don't tap into it for something that benefits both of you (ex. purchasing a house), she will not have access to it if you end up getting divorced.

Your 401k may be protected as separate property for the balance up to the point of marriage, but the growth and contributions made following marriage would be communal property.

Exactly what the attorney told me a couple of days ago.
Post removed:
by user
TyHolden
AG
Not if she's an heiress to Singapore royalty
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.