So is every show on HGTV fake?

21,286 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
piag94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Know for a fact fixer upper is. Trapped at parents house and have to watch the one with the divorced hot blonde. She literally does nothing but look pretty and smile....

Rant done
Actionag
rules
chipotle
Real answer: it's sorta real but mostly fake.
snowaggie
Anyone want to start a class action lawsuit against those shows? I figure they owe me about 10k worth of Home Depot expenditures that my wife would have never given a c**p about before watching 1000 hours of that propaganda.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Brother and SIL were almost on house hunters a few years back. They wait until you have a house purchased, then show you a couple of others that are about the same.

I assumed it wasn't 100% real, and don't really care. I watch to be entertained

Edit: one of my cousins and her husband were on Beachfront Bargain Hunt a few years back, but I haven't gone into much discussion with them about what that was like
PrincessButtercup
AG
piag94 said:

Know for a fact fixer upper is. Trapped at parents house and have to watch the one with the divorced hot blonde. She literally does nothing but look pretty and smile....

Rant done

How is Fixed Upper fake?
Liquid Wrench
OMG the floor tiles just got here and I have a showing scheduled for 5:30 TOMORROW!! I'm going to scream and wave my arms at these Mexican dudes who don't look like they understand a word I'm saying! My hot wife who I definitely have normal heterosexual relations with went over budget by 50,000 dollars so the realtor needs to close by Wednesday or I'll lose everything!!

*This was my script for Flipping Vegas in case that wasn't clear.
piag94
AG
Haha....
She's the biggest beach on the planet
He's a major cheater...
He rolls up in his Denali, they spray him with water and he rips down one board and leaves. Massive lawsuits from 15+ home owners that HGTV takes care of.

Oh and Magnolia in Waco has two full time employees that remove the stickers from where they buy their house crap and put their own stickers on them charging them 10x the amount.

On and on..... trust me
ArtVandelay03
AG
My in-laws filmed Beachfront Bargain Hunt this summer for a beach house they bought last year. They said it was tricky for them and their young kids to show the right amount of enthusiasm and not have their reactions look too contrived.
HollywoodBQ
AG
PrincessButtercup said:

piag94 said:

Rant done
How is Fixed Upper fake?
I'd start with Chip posing as a Hetero Breeder
piag94
AG
I wish I could go short on downtown Waco when that bubble pops!!
HollywoodBQ
AG
As you can tell by my handle, I've put in the hard yards in Hollywood to assure you that everything you see on TV is fake. Everything.

One night about 15 years ago, I was flipping channels and caught the first reality show I ever saw from Waco - Texas Cheer Moms which was based on the Midway High School Cheer squad. It was an absolute riot.

Fast forward a decade and I'm going through an airport and I see a guy wearing a Magnolia Farms hat and I assume he's some sort of Dairy Cattle guy or something. Turns out there's an entire fake industry in Waco. Still cracks me up when they show people houses in Woodway or worse - North Waco.

The shows are entertaining though if you watch the clients and their wardrobe changes. Hilarious stuff.

Oh, and I always love the old people whose budget is like next to nothing and then Chip tells them how he's going to sell them a $150K house instead of their $200K budget and they'll have $50K to "play with". Meaning he'll be the one playing them out of their hard earned dollars.

But hey, giving credit where credit is due, Chip and Joanna deserve the key to the city for changing Waco's image from the Branch Davidians to Fixer Upper.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Interesting. I don't have cable so i don't really care, just curious.
superunknown
AG
Bah i give up
Lex
Growing up outside of Waco I can say from the deepest depths of my soul and most of my friends that I hate Chip, Joann, Magnolia and Fixer Upper.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
snowaggie said:

Anyone want to start a class action lawsuit against those shows? I figure they owe me about 10k worth of Home Depot expenditures that my wife would have never given a c**p about before watching 1000 hours of that propaganda.

v
Bondag
AG
I love the logic of having $50k to fix up a $150k house. Because you didn't buy a $200k house. To get a loan for 150k you would have to put 30k down assuming 20%. The bank is not going to give you an extra $50k to play with when you have less than that in equity.
aglaohfour
AG
I'm always mystified by people who hate the Gaines' because the show is fake or they seem fake or shiplap is dumb. I grew up in Waco, in the same church as Joanna, though her younger sister is closer to my age, and we had a lot of the same friends. Now I have 5 close friends who work for them, and they have nothing but good things to say about how generous they are and how great they are as bosses.

I can only conclude that people who hate on them are jealous of their success, which is just so weird to me because if any of us had the opportunity to cash in like they have, after years of building a business and working their asses off, wouldn't we take it?
AgLiving06
I mean, obviously the show is staged to a certain extent. Nobody is going to leave that many variables open to chance at all times. That would be a recipe for losing money.

But that doesn't change that Joanna has great design sense and Chip just seems fun to hang out with.

When it first came out that the show was somewhat staged, everyone was quick to say that the personalities you got from Chip and Joanna were the same on and off camera.
Beer Baron
AG
I have never wanted to murder someone more than this dumb beech on one of those shows who kept sheeting all over houses because they had more than one bathroom. The real estate person, the carpenter people, her husband, the audience - all of us were unified in our hatred of her.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Are people allowed to hate them for having a TV deal in place, then buying out their former business partners without telling them about the TV deal?
Liquid Wrench
When I'm gonna get mine? They money ain't doing me no good.
Beer Baron
AG
How dare you.
Sports-Ag
AG
That Flip or Flop show looks more staged with the sudden disasters and bad acting.
Bayside Tiger Ag
piag94 said:

Haha....
She's the biggest beach on the planet
He's a major cheater...
He rolls up in his Denali, they spray him with water and he rips down one board and leaves. Massive lawsuits from 15+ home owners that HGTV takes care of.

Oh and Magnolia in Waco has two full time employees that remove the stickers from where they buy their house crap and put their own stickers on them charging them 10x the amount.

On and on..... trust me

Chip a cheater? Really?
aglaohfour
AG
I mean, sure you can. You can hate them for any reason at all, I just think it's weird the vitriol they inspire from total strangers. But to my knowledge, that whole thing hasn't actually been proven in court? A person can say anything they want when filing a lawsuit, that doesn't automatically make it true.
AggieDarlin
AG
I came here to say that I HATE "Love it or List It"

The scripted shows are no secret, but LIOLI is effing horrible. HORRIBLE.

BRING BACK DEVINE DESIGN.

The Fife
Agoodlittleag04 said:

I'm always mystified by people who hate the Gaines' because the show is fake or they seem fake or shiplap is dumb. I grew up in Waco, in the same church as Joanna, though her younger sister is closer to my age, and we had a lot of the same friends. Now I have 5 close friends who work for them, and they have nothing but good things to say about how generous they are and how great they are as bosses.

I can only conclude that people who hate on them are jealous of their success, which is just so weird to me because if any of us had the opportunity to cash in like they have, after years of building a business and working their asses off, wouldn't we take it?
I'll give her credit where credit is due - creating this decade's shag carpeting, fake fruit, or the tuscan look.
Al Bula
AG
I question anyone's intelligence who doesn't realize all television programming is scripted and fake.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Shiplap
vin1041
AG
Just boring!
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

But that doesn't change that Joanna has great design sense
Putting shiplap on the walls and a lot of old crap on the shelves is design sense?
Post removed:
by user
Ag_07
AG
Thread save incoming...

Nicole Curtis

Alison Victoria

Tecolote
AG
Agoodlittleag04 said:

Have no problem with their business and financial success. I'm just disliking their work because these days you can't go now and see any new ideas besides subway tiles and barn doors when looking for renovations.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.