Driving in the UK

3,296 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 1876er
Pepper Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, the wife and I are taking 2 weeks in October and will be doing London/Scotland/Ireland. We'll be spending a few days in Aberdeen and plan on doing a few distillery tours in the Highlands. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is any method of public transportation that provides a direct route to Dufftown(where we will be staying).

Have any of you driven in Scotland? Would you recommend it to someone who has never driven on the wrong side of the road?

TIA
Texmid
AG
It takes a little while to get used to it. However, once you get the hang of it there isn't much to worry about. One thing to keep in mind, do not drink any alcohol and then drive. I mean zero. If they can detect any on your breath you are going to jail. They do not mess around.
Unemployed
AG
You'll get use to it after driving around for a day.

Just need to remember that the lane divider is always on your right. And the cars in the roundabout have the right of way.
wbt5845
AG
I do it all the time. You get used to it quick. You'll walk up to the wrong door to get in damn near every time, though

Make sure to get an automatic transmission. That's the only thing I ever had a hard time with.
BenFiasco14
AG
Watch out for big trucks of peace
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
John Francis Donaghy
Driving in the UK is suicide. Everyone will drive right at you and then look at you like youre the idiot. Do NOT do it!
MonkeyKnifeFighter
dcAg
Drove for 10 days in Ireland. Someone here on Texags sent a message I still remember. Wide right turns and short left turns.

Also recommend getting a European Data plan and use your GPS. That helped like you wouldn't believe. Watch out for port cities where they may want you to get on a car ferry and be careful of the roundabouts (that's where the GPS really helped).
John Francis Donaghy
As for actual advice:

1. You'll be fine. It's a fairly easy adjustment to make.
2. If you are comfortable driving stick, left handed shifting is fun.
3. If you're going into the rural highlands, which it sounds like you are, get a SMALL rental car. Lots of rural roadways in the highlands are too narrow for even a compact suv type vehicle to fit on your half of the road. You will have two wheels on grass and gravel every time a car comes the other way. The rental car places know to try to unload the bigger cars on Americans as an "upgrade" because of what we're used to. Don't fall for it, demand compact.

Also, the highlands are phenominal, and you can only really see them by driving. Leave youself plenty of time in your itinerary to take your time and enjoy the scenery while driving.
Max Power
AG
Cars? Go rent a bike and check out the Isle of Man.

DVC2010
AG
Traffic signs don't have words, so maybe spend a few minutes getting to know what they mean before you get there. My brother and I were driving from St. Andrews to Edinburgh last month, and we saw a blue corcle with a red diagonal line through it. A smaller sign below it said "next 3 miles." I told my brother, "I guess we're not doing something for the next three miles."

Which reminds me, they use miles, not kilometers.

I didn't find shifting with the left hand to be any more challenging with the right except that I hadn't driven a manual since high school.

Lanes are narrow in town. On the rural roads, I'm not really convinced they're any wider than the vehicles.

I'm envious! When I was there, I didn't have time to see the highlands. Have a great time!
DVC2010
AG
Also, they will insist that you drive on the wrong side of the road. Nobody over there seems to understand that they are one of three countries that do it backwards.
OverR
AG
Crossing the street seemed more dangerous to me than driving.

BOTH WAYS!
Zip 88
The first wrong turn you make into oncoming traffic will educate you pretty quickly.

My happened right as I was leaving the port after picking my vehicle up, after a move.
DVC2010
AG
OverR said:

Crossing the street seemed more dangerous to me than driving.

BOTH WAYS!

Even with the warnings on the pavement, I kept looking the wrong direction first. Apparently the zigzag lines painted at the roadside means pedestrians have the right-of-way. That would have been nice to know before the last days of my stay.
Seven Costanza
AG
It takes about two minutes to get used to.

Get an automatic. Shifting on the opposite side isn't easy.

The worst part is the extremely narrow two-lane roads with no shoulders that are often lined with stone walls. You will feel like you're about to get into a head-on collision about every 30 seconds.
dcbowers
AG
1. You'll get used to driving on the left pretty quick. Just follow the car in front of you. Most likely, it will be driving on the left.
2. Probably 90% of rental cars are stick shift and 10% are automatic. Be sure to reserve an automatic.
3. Make sure to look to the right when you cross the street.
4. Don't get a DWI.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
fire09
AG
Easy after a day or 2, get an automatic it's much easier, one less thing to focus on. Roads are narrow but unless you are driving a brodozer your little eurocar should do just fine. Don't get the insurance....
PigInABlanket
AG
Slow down. Get an automatic. After Day 1, you should have a handle on it. Enjoy your visit. I did some work in the far north of Scotland the first time I moved here. Not a prettier place in the world.
PigInABlanket
AG
fire09 said:

. Roads are narrow but unless you are driving a brodozer your little eurocar should do just fine.
Also, this. I have an imported F-150, and the only place I have problems with it in certain neighborhoods in London, hence why I take the tube to work.
Superfreak
AG
You know how to tell if a yank is driving in Europe or Australia. Every time they make a turn their windshield wipers come on. You'll understand when you get there.
lataqueria
Driving in the countryside is fine. If you are departing from a major city, I would recommend that you pick the car up on the outskirts of town.

I made the mistake of picking up the car in the middle of Edinburgh. That may have been the most stressful situation that I've ever been in. I could not figure out how to get out of town, and every intersection was a roundabout. White knuckles and dripping with sweat.

GAC06
AG
I found that driving on the left was pretty easy. Where I almost got in trouble was turning onto a street, when your ingrained habit is to look left first.
tamuangry
I was given a short term assignment in England, during which I drove everywhere. I recommend you go to the Lake District and Scotland especially.

Driving over there is easy after the first 15 min...but do not drive a standard unless you drive a standard transmission over here. Also, the rate to rent an automatic was 3 times more expensive than a standard AND they are harder to find to rent. Make sure you plan ahead for your car rentals.
GAP76
AG
Make sure to rent a car with a stick shift standard transmission. No automatic transmission. That will make it much more interesting to drive on the otherside
HollywoodBQ
AG
No alcohol.
No radio.

I did this for the first month I lived in Australia driving on the wrong side of the road.

When you pull out of a car park to enter the street, or when you're turning, repeat this to yourself, "STAY LEFT, STAY LEFT".

You will go to the wrong side of the car to get in a few times until you start remembering that everything is reversed.

The one thing that will really hang you up is route planning and trying to navigate. You'll be trying to make left turns instead of right turns. Roundabouts are great but, if you miss your turn, it might be difficult to make a U-Turn.

I second the recommendation to get a GPS with the rental car. Takes a load off your mind.

Have fun.
Tree Hugger
AG
I didn't think driving a standard was anything difficult at all. Now turning right was interesting at times, in Galway I forgot to swing wide and almost got in a head-on collision.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Thanks for the encouragement. The last thing I want to do is be so stressed about not getting us killed that I miss the scenery.

I have no problems driving a standard transmission but I'd definitely get an auto if we go there. Im looking forwards to the trip regardless.
Unemployed
AG
Tree Hugger said:

I didn't think driving a standard was anything difficult at all.
Agree. All these people saying driving a standard over there is hard must be women.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Took about a day to adjust, and I would definitely highlight this advice because the turns were when I really had to focus:
Quote:

Wide right turns and short left turns.
elfurioso92
AG
I've never driven myself when in the UK but I did in New Zealand. Didn't have a problem adjusting to the left hand shifing, it just seemed weird for the first few drives. The rules for who has right of way at various intersections and situations was sometimes different from what I was used to. I'd read up on that and what the different signs and road marking mean.
Human
AG

Rockin' in the USA >>>>>> Driving in the U.K.
duffelpud
AG
I personally recommend against driving yourself. I visit a former British territory once a year where they continue to drive on the left. I always hire a driver.

I was almost killed the first time I drove there because when you are faced with a 'think quick' situation, natural instincts take over. When you go around a corner and a car is coming at you, your natural instinct is to swerve to the right. The natives' natural instinct is to swerve to the left.

You end up trying to pass through the same patch of real estate at the same time.
tford12
AG
BoilerAg10 said:

So, the wife and I are taking 2 weeks in October and will be doing London/Scotland/Ireland. We'll be spending a few days in Aberdeen and plan on doing a few distillery tours in the Highlands. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is any method of public transportation that provides a direct route to Dufftown(where we will be staying).

Have any of you driven in Scotland? Would you recommend it to someone who has never driven on the wrong side of the road?

TIA
I was in Scotland with my brother last month. We got a rental and drove up through the highlands for two days. I would just recommend getting as small a car as you can that still fills your needs. Our rental company "upgraded" us to a small SUV (Nissan Rogue, I think) and it was way to big for the narrow roads up in the Highlands. The lanes are narrower than what we have in the US, and in much of the area there is no shoulder. So don't get a car that is too big/wide.

Feeling cramped on the road along with everything being backwards caused some stressful moments. But other than that, we didn't have any problems. Just make sure you can handle roundabouts, because there is one basically every other mile.
1876er
AG
Driving a standard isn't bad if you can do it here. I probably hit my right hand on the door 100 times out of habit, but I drive a standard everyday, so shifting with my right hand is a habit.

The narrow lanes were the worst part for me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.