How to learn guitar and fiddle/violin - lessons, videos, books, other???

6,605 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by digging tunnels
Ag12thman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a kid that is interested in learning to play guitar (and later the fiddle/violin). I am also interested in learning myself. We are both very much beginners and know nothing about reading music.

Question -- does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on how to go about learning? Are lessons the best way or are there videos (online or DVDs), books, or other methods that might be just as good or better?
Kitten With A Whip
I recommend lessons. You will have an easier time with the intracacies with a teacher, plus can be helpful when it comes to pushing through the times when you want to give up and those times do happen! Why not take lessons together? Sounds like a good opportunity to bond.
Professor Frick
AG
My two cents:

The most important thing I learned early on as a guitar player was a decent basic understanding of music theory. I'm talking very basics, like keys, how to build different types of chords, and the chord types that make up a particular key (i.e major, minor, dominant, diminished). After learning those kind of basics, after a while you can listen to 99% of songs (especially pop, rock, or country) and you will recognize one of the very few chord progressions that are pleasing to listen to, and you can then play pretty much any song.

I was so glad to luck into a guitar teacher who happened to care about these very basics. From there, it has been not only so much easier to play guitar and write songs, but sets you up to be able to play just about any instrument.

Sure, it helps at first to learn the fingering of a few 'cowboy' chords. But after that, I would still clear of anybody that promises to teach you to play "a thousand and one" chords or whatever. You learn how a chord is built, you will know how to make any chord yourself.

Professor Frick
AG
Oh, and to keep yourself entertained in the mean time, learn to tell by ear what key a song is in, and learn the pentatonic scale. Then you're ready to jam with just about every rock song ever.
mike_ags_fan12
I learned in 2 months and I taught myself. Print out guitar chords finger placement sheet and practice each chord until you don't hear the *thud* sound in the strum. It'll be difficult and your fingers will hurt, but it will be all worth it when you get down a couple of chords.

Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Professor Frick is right on.

Claude!
I think the only sure-fire way to learn is to consume the flesh of people with the requisite knowledge. So go eat Eddie Van Halen and Charlie Daniels.
Ag12thman
AG
Awesome advice. Thanks a ton!

One follow up question - where is best to learn these "very basics" you speak of? Is there a good website, video set, or book I can use to learn them?
Ag12thman
AG
mike_ags_fan12 said:

I learned in 2 months and I taught myself. Print out guitar chords finger placement sheet and practice each chord until you don't hear the *thud* sound in the strum. It'll be difficult and your fingers will hurt, but it will be all worth it when you get down a couple of chords.

Do you have a link maybe or another source I can go to for the chords finger placement sheet you mention?
Really appreciate the advice and help!
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Stevie Ray never learned by printing out chords on paper. Paper can't teach rhythm or touch.

Get your kid a teacher.
Joe Exotic
AG
Ag12thman said:

Awesome advice. Thanks a ton!

One follow up question - where is best to learn these "very basics" you speak of? Is there a good website, video set, or book I can use to learn them?

I had lessons and a dad that played very well give me pointers and guidance.

But honestly the very best thing I ever used was/is Rocksmith on the XBOX/PlayStation. It had tons of actual play along lessons that teach technique and theory. But the best part is the song library and how it dynamically adjusts to your skill and playing level so even a novice player can play any song. It also includes a cord that allows you to connect any real guitar so there's no special instrument needed.
TyHolden
AG
Been a musician all my life. Played in a band for 10 years. Opened up for nickleback about 5 years ago but didn't work out. The cowbell is not appreciated that much anymore. Working on unplugged album right now.
Human
AG
Oh look at me, I have digits, and I plan to use them
Ghost91
I started two years ago. Initially tried lessons with an instructor, but they were terrible. I'm sure it has to do with the instructor.

Best thing I ever did was stumble across guitarsystem.com. The guy (Nate Savage) just really works for me. Starts with the very basics (parts of the guitar, changing strings, gear, etc.) and then goes into basic open chords, and on and on.

Neat little 'play-a-longs' at the end of each video lesson, and he is VERY accessible - underneath each video is a chat screen where you can log questions and he'll respond. I've never waited more than 24 hours for a reply.

I think it was $150 for lifetime access to all his videos, and you can print out a manual that follows along with the vids. I recommend looking him up on YouTube, where he has a ton of free videos, and just see if you connect with his style/approach like I did.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I am using "Yousician" currently and I really like it. My dad gave me some basic instructions when I was a kid, but I never could pick up on it. The program has really helped for me. You can either pay $120 for a year and have unlimited access or /Tanya it and go the freebie route and get 30 minutes a day.

You'll start with three different programs that you can progress through as you please. They have music theory, chord progression and picking/note progression.
Max Power
AG
https://www.justinguitar.com/
GigEmBevo
My half brother used YouTube to teach himself.
Geralt of Rivia
S
When I played the violin when I was younger, I had a teacher.
SlackerAg
AG
The "Heavy Guitar Bible" taught me more theory and chords than the Mel Bay books.
mike_ags_fan12
I used google images when I started learning.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I probably learned the slow way, but I just found songs that I wanted to play, and then I learned how to play them. That's how I have picked up all my chords. I couldn't tell you all the chords in the world, or really anything about musical theory, but I love to jam.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Real guitars are stupid.

http://southpark.cc.com/clips/pa80cd/guitar-hero
YokelRidesAgain
AG
How old is your child? And what kind of guitar does he (or she) want to play? (Acoustic, electric, etc.)?

Violin skills aren't going to translate to guitar beyond general music theory stuff--if kid really wants to play both in the future should probably start both soon.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Buck O Five
AG
?w=680

Fret zeppelin teaches you in real time with LEDs.
digging tunnels
AG
For violin, you will need a teacher. The violin does not have frets therefore proper finger placement is important
Ag12thman
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

How old is your child? And what kind of guitar does he (or she) want to play? (Acoustic, electric, etc.)?

Violin skills aren't going to translate to guitar beyond general music theory stuff--if kid really wants to play both in the future should probably start both soon.
My son is 9 and he is interested in both guitars, actually, but I figured it would be best to start him on an acoustic.

Good point on the violin. Seems like it may be the more difficult instrument to learn, but I could be very wrong on that. There also seems to be a lot less options out there for learning violin versus learning guitar. Seems like a teacher may be far and away the best option.

I really appreciate all the responses and options for guitar. It looks like success can be achieved via various methods (books, YouTube, Internet how-to sites, lessons, etc.), although I realize practice, practice, practice is probably the biggest factor at play.
aggielax48
AG
It's already said but Justin Sandercoe. Watch his beginner course videos on YouTube or his website
bagger05
AG
Violin wouldn't be an easy instrument to learn on your own. I tried hacking it out by myself for a couple months and learned a little from videos and books, but I got a lot better and progressed ten times as fast once I started taking lessons.

If you're in DFW I could recommend someone.
91_Aggie
AG
How musically inclined are you to begin with? I always wanted to play guitar but I'm hopelessly time deaf. I have no clue what note is being played. Could never even guess what key a song is in.

So that dream dies early. My brother, on the hand, can play piano by ear. *******.
Ag12thman
AG
Thanks... he seems pretty thorough and knowledgeable in that first introductory video on YouTube. I still have to buy a guitar and I see that he has a video on doing that, too. Really appreciate the info!
Ag12thman
AG
I'm actually in South Texas, but thanks. Violin definitely seems to be a different kinda animal than guitar. I think you're right.
Ag12thman
AG
I really don't know how musically inclined I am, but I guess I'm about to find out.
Garrelli 5000
AG
TLDR: The first 2 or 3 months will be painful bursts of horrible practice for 5 minutes, set the guitar down, come back in an hour,and repeat. One day you'll have an "ah-ha!" moment, and your life will be changed. After that moment, every time you pick up the guitar will be fun and you'll rapidly get better.

I cannot imagine having the wealth of information available at my fingertips now on the internet back when I taught myself to play 26 years ago.

My parents bought me a cheap crappy acoustic for my 15th. The shop owner gave me a sheet of paper with a few dozen chords diagrammed.

The first 2 months went like this:

1. Pick up guitar.
2. Awkwardly finger a chord
3. Strum
5. Try to switch to another chord
6. Crash, burn, roughly set guitar down
7. Walk out of room cursing.
8. Come back an hour later
9. Repeat

Took about 5 minutes at a time until I'd get pissed and quit.

2 months later I'm at my grandparents house and they had MTV. More Than Words by Extreme was gaining in popularity. The video shows a lot of close up shots of the sound hole and I could see just 2 or 3 strings vibrating at a time. I realized he was fingering a chord then plucking several strings at once.

I picked up my guitar and started the process above. When I got to step 3 I just randomly plucked 2 strings. Then I'd continue holding the chord and randomly pluck 2 different strings.

This was a watershed moment. Within a week I could suddenly switch basic chords without sounding like a train wreck. It all snowballed from there. I then started learning to read tab from guitar magazines. As soon as I learned parts of a popular song on the radio the hook was set even deeper.

Ag12thman
AG
^^^^^ Awesome post.

Quick question -- Do guitar players generally read sheet music? A guy I was talking to about lessons was saying they can, but it's extremely difficult due to all the strings and frets involved with the guitar.

I was wanting to learn to read music as I progressed in learning. Maybe a bad idea???
PseudonymK
AG
I started with music theory and piano when I was 6. I think those were Alfred books. Now, I can read most music and pick up chords by ear.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.