Women do ask for pay raises, they just don't get them

10,201 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by george92
BombayAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On CNN right now.

by Ivana Kottasova @ivanakottasova
http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/06/news/women-pay-gap-ask/index.html

quote:
Women ask for a raise as often as men, but stand a much smaller chance of getting one.

Research by Cass Business School and the University of Warwick in the U.K., and the University of Wisconsin, found that men are 25% more likely to get a raise when they ask for one.
The study challenges the myth that the gender pay gap is a result of women not asking for more money because they're less ambitious, more worried about upsetting their boss, or afraid of being seen as too pushy.
"Having seen these findings, I think we have to accept that there is some element of pure discrimination against women," said Andrew Oswald, professor of economics at the University of Warwick and one of the study's authors.
The researchers surveyed 4,600 workers across more than 800 employers in Australia, the only country that collects data on whether employees ask for and get pay rises.
According to Oswald, Australia was highly likely to be representative of behavior in other major economies.
"Data from other studies show that the pay gap in Australia is around 15%, which is typical, and Australia is a modern industrial economy, a mixture between Britain and the U.S.," he told CNNMoney.
Related: Mothers still lag behind in pay for years
The study took into account differences between part time and full time work, comparing only like-for-like workers.
But it's not all grim reading. The researchers found evidence that change may be coming.
"Young women under 40 are negotiating their pay more successfully than older females, so the trend is looking better," said Amanda Goodall, a senior lecturer at Cass Business School.
Women still earn less then men in every country in the world, according to data from the World Economic Forum. It will take 118 years for the gap between men and women to close, the forum said recently. In the U.S., women can expect to make 78 cents for every dollar made by men in the same jobs.
Women are also more likely to miss out on promotions. A study published by Chartered Management Institute last month found that male managers were 40% more likely to be promoted compared to their female colleagues.
CNNMoney (London) First published September 6, 2016: 8:35 AM ET

chiken
AG
shut up.
G.I.Bro
It's as if lens Dunham has been showing her tits for no reason lo this many years
LupinusTexensis
I got a 35% raise and 10% bonuses after I asked. I might now be making the same as the male dumbass my age the next cube over that takes a sick day every other week.
paammar
If garbage like this was true, corporations would be losing a lot of money in lawsuits, because it is illegal.

But it isn't.
Geralt of Rivia
S
I take back what I said last week. I definitely prefer runontexas' jinx and UTSA threads to this
BombayAg
quote:
I got a 35% raise and 10% bonuses after I asked. I might now be making the same as the male dumbass my age the next cube over that takes a sick day every other week.

Wow 35% is awesome. You just asked and that's it?
eeinhouston
Women can ask all they want, but when they called her into the boss' at the end of the day to giver her a raise, she was already gone after 7.6 hours to pick up the kids. Meanwhile the man sitting next to her was still working after 8.5 hours, so they gave the 12% raise to him.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics
ShinerBlonde
AG
Would be nice to have a man that helped take care of the kid stuff but unfortunately with all the working women I know the husband/fathers job takes priority. If I didn't take off to go take the kids to the doctor or dentist, etc they would never go. Never mind that I worked through my lunch break to make up for that hour I missed. I've been everything from full time working mom with a spouse, stay at home mom, part time working with spouse and full time single mom and never have my child care or household responsibilities been lessened in any scenario. I wish I had a wife.
LupinusTexensis
Good god I need a wife. My life would be so much easier
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
Would be nice to have a man that helped take care of the kid stuff but unfortunately with all the working women I know the husband/fathers job takes priority. If I didn't take off to go take the kids to the doctor or dentist, etc they would never go. Never mind that I worked through my lunch break to make up for that hour I missed. I've been everything from full time working mom with a spouse, stay at home mom, part time working with spouse and full time single mom and never have my child care or household responsibilities been lessened in any scenario. I wish I had a wife.
it's 2016, you can.
LupinusTexensis
Well I didn't just ask. I came in with my accounts, how they've grown since I've been here, and the new business I've brought in.
LupinusTexensis
And yet somehow I bet the woman got more done in those 7.6 hours than a man would in 8.5.

/as I post from work
ShinerBlonde
AG
Already got rid of the superfluous husband. Love the idea of a wife for day to day purposes but unfortunately girls just don't do it for me.
ShinerBlonde
AG
True and the man was probably in the bathroom during that 'extra' work time anyways.
91_Aggie
AG
stolen from unabashedly from reddit:

Geralt of Rivia
S
So when are Bluebonnet and BearMama going to hook up?!?
Ulrich
Your 20s are a crucial time to establish a professional reputation and get on "the ladder". Person A misses 6 months (5%) of her 20s plus another 6 months of substantially reduced productivity for doctors appointments, retraining after leave, etc while Person B is using that time to deliver value, develop skills/abilities, and may be getting recognized for stepping up to cover for Person A. Assuming the two are otherwise equivalent in intelligence and work ethic and their leadership is fair, does one get ahead?

Should you be able to have your baby and eat it, too? I'm not saying anything about what having kids SHOULD be like, just observing how the process often plays out and leaving open what might be the result.

Anecdotally, I've directly benefitted more than once from my coworkers' child rearing activities.
george92
quote:
And yet somehow I bet the woman got more done in those 7.6 hours than a man would in 8.5.

/as I post from work
Yes - but have you ever tried to be Commissioner of 3 fantasy football leagues at one time? I don't think so.
ShinerBlonde
AG
She's pretty cute. Considering my luck with men looking for a wife is certainly starting to look pretty appealing.
The Collective
AG
Discrimination
Buck Compton
AG
If women were cheaper for the same work... then any profit-seeking corporation would try to hire ONLY WOMEN. If you could really trim that much off your total salary expense... you would! In a heartbeat.

Can't have it both ways, corporations are either greedy, heartless *******s that will do anything for a buck (or a million), OR they are misogynistic pigs that don't care about efficiency or money that are keeping women repressed by paying men higher salaries for the same output. These two things are contradictory.

You're paid for your output and your corresponding ability to communicate the value of said output to your superiors. Being really good at one side of the equation can really help mask deficiencies in the other side. The people that get passed up for promotion and raises are those that are mediocre at both. Not a single sex or gender.
bagger05
AG
[rant]I wasn't alive way back in the day, but I assume that things are much better for women now than they have been at pretty much any point in history. We are living in a world where now women are told that they can have it all. That they can be driven career women AND great moms who spend tons of time with their kids AND have great intimate relationships with their husbands AND have plenty of time with their girlfriends AND have plenty of time to themselves, etc etc, etc.

Well, this notion flies in the face of one of the great laws of the universe and that is the concept of scarcity. Life is full of economic choices, and choosing to do one thing means choosing to NOT do something else. So yes, anyone can choose to devote a great deal of time to their work and career, but by doing so you are choosing to spend less time with your kids. And if you choose to spend your free time with your kids then you're choosing not to have time alone with your husband. If you're choosing to spend time by yourself, you aren't spending time with your kids or your husband or at your job or with your girlfriends. The list goes on.

EVERYONE, men and women, make these decisions. Yes, lots of married working women are the ones who "primarily" take care of the kids and the man's job takes priority. There's no reason the situation can't be reversed, but if it were reversed then it would be REVERSED and the man would be missing time at work to take care of the kids.

So no, women can't have it all, but neither can men. Opportunity cost. It's a law of the universe and applies equally to everyone regardless of gender.[/rant]
Buck Compton
AG
Also... THIS.
LupinusTexensis
quote:
She's pretty cute. Considering my luck with men looking for a wife is certainly starting to look pretty appealing.

Dude. I have seriously considered switching teams. I'll keep you posted.
TheMasterplan
quote:
[rant]I wasn't alive way back in the day, but I assume that things are much better for women now than they have been at pretty much any point in history. We are living in a world where now women are told that they can have it all. That they can be driven career women AND great moms who spend tons of time with their kids AND have great intimate relationships with their husbands AND have plenty of time with their girlfriends AND have plenty of time to themselves, etc etc, etc.

Well, this notion flies in the face of one of the great laws of the universe and that is the concept of scarcity. Life is full of economic choices, and choosing to do one thing means choosing to NOT do something else. So yes, anyone can choose to devote a great deal of time to their work and career, but by doing so you are choosing to spend less time with your kids. And if you choose to spend your free time with your kids then you're choosing not to have time alone with your husband. If you're choosing to spend time by yourself, you aren't spending time with your kids or your husband or at your job or with your girlfriends. The list goes on.

EVERYONE, men and women, make these decisions. Yes, lots of married working women are the ones who "primarily" take care of the kids and the man's job takes priority. There's no reason the situation can't be reversed, but if it were reversed then it would be REVERSED and the man would be missing time at work to take care of the kids.

So no, women can't have it all, but neither can men. Opportunity cost. It's a law of the universe and applies equally to everyone regardless of gender.[/rant]
Yep.

For some reason women have thought that men have had it all this entire time. Yeah dude we really love working 40-80 hrs a week!!!!

Not to mention a lot of those jobs being manual labor which women don't participate in.
ShinerBlonde
AG
You are correct. It just happens that I married someone who put all the household and child rearing responsibilities on me while still pressuring me to earn more money to "help him out". He made it to the point where I made my life easier by not having him in it since he really wasn't pulling any weight besides financial support. Now all I need from him is child support to help take care of his children while not having to do his laundry, cook his meals, clean up after him and put up with his complaining.

Bluebonnet, you will be the first to know when I decide to give up on men altogether.
TheMasterplan
quote:
stolen from unabashedly from reddit:

BombayAg
quote:

Well put.
Joe Exotic
AG
You sound like high maintenance. Probably mouthy and speak out of turn too.
ShinerBlonde
AG
Absolutely. You have me all figured out.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Really?
ShinerBlonde
AG
I might be a tad bit sarcastic too. How about you?
Geralt of Rivia
S
I don't know how to answer this
3 William 56
AG
probably asked for raises while on 6 month maternity leave.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.