Sunday Frugal Moms

4,480 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Ag with kids
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1) Instead of going out to dinner with friends, rotate having dinner parties with your friends. Healthier, cheaper, and you have more time to talk to each other.
2) Cut the cord to satellite or cable.
3) Meatless Mondays.
4) Many ethnic recipes are quite cheap to make and are better for you than the standard American dinners. Shop ethnic markets to save even more money.
5) Buying rice, beans, and flour in bulk can save money if kept tightly sealed.
6) Set a 5 minute timer for all showers and baths.
7) If you are waiting for water from a faucet to heat up or cool, keep a bowl or pan under the faucet and use the water for plants, cleaning, or heating to boil water for dinner.
8) Unplug all items that do not need to be constantly plugged in.
9) Sign up for ebates to get cash back on online purchases.
10) Share a netflix account with a friend or sibling or neighbor.
11) If you own a truck or a trailer, calculate if it is worth the money and gasoline to scavenge neighborhoods on large trash day and sell items for scrap metal or to take furniture, repurpose it, and sell on craigslist or at a garage sale.
12) Use your store rewards cards to download digital coupons.
13) Do not buy your kids new clothes for the summer. Used or free (even better) means it doesn't matter if they rip them or get paint on them. Simply turn them into rags for cleaning, or make rag strip rugs for sale on Etsy once they are worn out or outgrown.
14) Do not buy single serving snacks for your kids. You can make your own granola bars, or peanut butter cracker sandwiches, or single servings of chips or goldfish. Wash and reuse the plastic bags once they have been used.
GAC06
AG
Why would you set a five minute timer for a bath
Goodfield Nohit
quote:
Also known as stealing
DifferenceMaker Ag

Ol Jock 99
AG
mel99
AG
Ebates is awesome! Anyone want a referral?
Human
AG
Waiting for the

"Pick out the corn out of your children's stools."

Has that ever made the list!?
Tanya 93
quote:
Waiting for the

"Pick out the corn out of your children's stools."

Has that ever made the list!?
It happens all the time from someone replying to the thread.
They think it is new!
The Fife
quote:
3) Meatless Mondays.

quote:
11) If you own a truck or a trailer, calculate if it is worth the money and gasoline to scavenge neighborhoods on large trash day and sell items for scrap metal or to take furniture, repurpose it, and sell on craigslist or at a garage sale.

IrishTxAggie
AG
Your family must hate you for making them live like they're in a 3rd world country.
FancyKetchup14
AG
And if you're that strapped for cash, where you have to split an $8/month subscription, you probably shouldn't be watching Netflix in the first place.
Tanya 93
We had meatless Saturday.

Black beans, Welsh Rarebit, spinach salad, cuties, and sliced cucumbers.
Tanya 93
quote:
Your family must hate you for making them live like they're in a 3rd world country.
You must not ever read these threads.

/Pats your head

"Run along little one. Run along!"
Direct Enter Enter
quote:
A friend of mine does this during moveout at the small liberal arts colleges near him. Apparently the SJWs-in-training tend to pitch a lot of perfectly good items because they don't want to pack them.
Eliminatus
AG
Best way to save money is to not have kids.
The Fife
quote:
quote:
A friend of mine does this during moveout at the small liberal arts colleges near him. Apparently the SJWs-in-training tend to pitch a lot of perfectly good items because they don't want to pack them.

Back in the day you used to be able to do this with lofts at the end of the spring. Go pick them up as people moved out, make sure the fire code sticker or whatever was still there, and sell them to fish at the start of the fall.
Eliminatus
AG
Honest question here. Do most of these moms actually NEED to do these things to save money? Or is it just to give them a warm and fuzzy from something they saw on pinterest?

Because if you are putting thought and energy into saving a pot of water from letting the water heat up....you are either in the most dire of straights or a just flat out weird person.
The Fife
quote:
Honest question here. Do most of these moms actually NEED to do these things to save money? Or is it just to give them a warm and fuzzy from something they saw on pinterest?

Because if you are putting thought and energy into saving a pot of water from letting the water heat up....you are either in the most dire of straights or a just flat out weird person.
Some people are just like that. I could see the in-laws doing maybe half of the things on the list and supposedly they have over $800K in the bank alone. All I ever hear when one of them comes to visit (two tickets cost too much) is how expensive gas is over here. One time I finally asked what the difference was and the FIL said 2 cents.
TyHolden
AG
quote:
quote:
Also known as stealing

Exactly
Tanya 93
quote:

A lot of these moms are involved in these online challenges where you get "rep points" if you spend the least amount of money a month on bills or groceries etc. So they think by not wasting water, throwing away as little as possible by recycling or composting, etc that they will seem as the most frugal. Which then feeds their egos because newbies ask for advice. I remember this one time when someone suggested flirting with the butcher to get free meat (hey Tree Hugger). Others have no shame in simply gaming the system: they will take toilet paper from public bathrooms, plastic forks and spoons and condiments from places, even if they didn't buy food, write a complaint letter about a product to get a refund and a coupon to try it for free and dumpster/garbage can dive.
crunchyo
quote:
1) Instead of going out to dinner with friends, rotate having dinner parties with your friends. Healthier, cheaper, and you have more time to talk to each other.
2) Cut the cord to satellite or cable.
3) Meatless Mondays.
4) Many ethnic recipes are quite cheap to make and are better for you than the standard American dinners. Shop ethnic markets to save even more money.
5) Buying rice, beans, and flour in bulk can save money if kept tightly sealed.
7) If you are waiting for water from a faucet to heat up or cool, keep a bowl or pan under the faucet and use the water for plants, cleaning, or heating to boil water for dinner.
8) Unplug all items that do not need to be constantly plugged in.
9) Sign up for ebates to get cash back on online purchases.
12) Use your store rewards cards to download digital coupons.
13) Do not buy your kids new clothes for the summer. Used or free (even better) means it doesn't matter if they rip them or get paint on them. Simply turn them into rags for cleaning, or make rag strip rugs for sale on Etsy once they are worn out or outgrown.
14) Do not buy single serving snacks for your kids. You can make your own granola bars, or peanut butter cracker sandwiches, or single servings of chips or goldfish. Wash and reuse the plastic bags once they have been used.

I went to college so I didn't have to worry about stuff like this. Please, go live your life and stop nickel and diming everything. You can't take your money to the grave. This isn't 1929 and the stock market has not crashed.
Tanya 93
GoneGirl
AG
quote:

6. Why baths? Or is that just so you can run the whole family through before the water gets cold?

10/11. AKA "theft of services."

14. There's just something nasty about reusing plastic bags. It's like sharing underwear. Sure you washed it, so it's clean, but really?
Tanya 93
quote:
quote:

6. Why baths? Or is that just so you can run the whole family through before the water gets cold?

10/11. AKA "theft of services."

14. There's just something nasty about reusing plastic bags. It's like sharing underwear. Sure you washed it, so it's clean, but really?
I see nothing nasty about a ziploc that held skittles being washed and used again to hold gf goldfish.

And I am not sure if it is always a theft of service to take trash set out.
I know it isn't here for large items.
gigemJTH12
AG
wash out ziploc bags and re use them?

holy sh**. thats penny pinching right there.
Tree Hugger
AG
quote:
I remember this one time when someone suggested flirting with the butcher to get free meat (hey Tree Hugger).
I'm still bummed I got banned for that sight for that troll. But it was fun.
Tanya 93
quote:
wash out ziploc bags and re use them?

holy sh**. thats penny pinching right there.
It is also less wasteful.
Personally, I pack lunches in reusable containers. But I do have some ziplocs that do get used and washed because of what they held.
Tanya 93
quote:
quote:
I remember this one time when someone suggested flirting with the butcher to get free meat (hey Tree Hugger).
I'm still bummed I got banned for that sight for that troll. But it was fun.
Mommysavers no longer has forums

Frugalvillage.com is now the go to one.
Ag with kids
AG
Netflix allows you to have multiple users accessing a single account, FWIW...
LostInLA07
AG
Yes but it's intended for a single household / family, not sharing with your neighbor across the street.
Ag with kids
AG
Netflix CEO saying account sharing is OK
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.