Youngbloods Restaurant in Bryan............

3,958 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 21 yr ago by
Justahumbleaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
.....used to have the BEST Chicken Fried Steak ever. I remember it was called the "Aggie Special" or something like that. Anyway, when I was a young pup, (~1974/5), the family would go there on the Sunday after a home game on the way out of town back to Dallas. The CFS was the best I've ever had and often wonder what happened to that place.

Any body ever eaten there? I know AG_IN_TX has! Does anyone have any suggestions of a similar place in the B/CS area? There also used to be a place in Bryan where you could go, (it was someone's house), and they would serve you family style. That was good too, but I can't remember it's name. And then there was the Mexican Food restaurant that my outfit always went to on Sunday nights, (77/78), since Duncan didn't serve dinner on Sundays. Don't remember the name of that one either. But from campus you'd go past the Holiday Inn, make a left and it'd be a littlw ways down on the left.

Can ya'll tell I'm bored today? Where in the B/CS area can you get good food with real service thats not part of a chain. Any Mom and Pop places still out there, or have they all been run out of business?
BQ78
AG
Zarape's ws the Mexican food place.
dave99ag
AG
Koppe Bridge has some good CFS and burgers. They're located on Wellborn, just off of FM 2818.
Ag_in_TX
Youngblood's has been closed for over 10 years. The sit down place was called Mom's, isn't that right?

And what the hell happened with that Homecoming dilemma? Did you drive or something?
Land Shark
Mom's was the one that served family style. If you are talking about past Holiday Inn in C.S. you are talking about going down Highway 30 to Jose's. Zarapes I think by '78 had moved downtown.
Justahumbleaggie
Yeah, we drove her to the homecoming dance while their "dates" followed behind in their car. We stopped a little short of the high school and let them ride in together, so as to not embarass....

Given her grades over the last two months, however, it will be the last social event for her for a long time.

[This message has been edited by Justahumbleaggie (edited 10/23/2002 9:15a).]
Ag_in_TX
hahaha ... shouldn't laugh, but be hard-ass ... be very hard ass.

BTW - we got a dog
Paul Crewe
My cousin bought Youngblood's from Mr. Youngblood, kept the name the same, and ran it for a good while toward the end there. He did really well with it and I think he just finally decided to cash out. Probably shouldn't have but he did anyway. It's been Carney's Pub ever since as far as I know. Lots of foreign and domestic beers but no more chicken fried steaks.

Today.....Cafe Eccell is probably the best non-chain restaurant in town under $30/plate. Christopher's World Grill is probably the best non-chain restaurant in town over $30/plate.

[This message has been edited by Paul Crewe (edited 10/23/2002 9:30a).]
Ag_in_TX
Along these same lines, is The Texan still open up in Bryan? That was a pretty solid steakhouse.
Land Shark
Texan closed a couple of years ago. The owner died and then his wife ran it for a year or two.
Paul Crewe
The Texan lost all of its high-end business to Christopher's World Grill. It then tried to downgrade and turn itself into more of a diner/burger joint place but that didn't work. Too good of a burger two blocks away at Chicken Oil Co. Ultimately, the Texan had to close.
Ag_in_TX
That's too bad. I had probably the best prime rib of my life at The Texan. (But then again, maybe it was because I was a hungry college student and my parents were buying).
Paul Crewe
I completely forgot to mention the Longhorn Tavern for a really good chicken fried steak in Bryan.
AustinTheAggie
Koppe Bridge also has a new place across highway 6 from Harvey, on highway 30 i think it is.. aka, just go past the movie theatre... its nice, but i still like the atmosphere of the one on welborn a little better... the new one has huge tv's for football though... not bad
localag88
The ambiance isn't much, but Ken Martin's Steakhouse does a pretty good CFS...great cream gravy and wonderful rolls.
Sgt. Hartman
AG
Don't know about the Mexican Food joint, but Youngblood's and Mom's were terrific.

From what I remember, Youngblood's had an excellent seafood platter.

But for a college student, you couldn't beat Mom's. When I was there '79-'83, it was always $3.00 for all the home cookin you could eat on Saturdays for lunch only (CFS, meatloaf, mashed potatos, gravy, etc.). I remember that Mom was a +/- 80 year old lady who was for all practical purposes blind. You paid her (as she sat in her rocking chair) as you walked out the door and you had to tell her what bill you gave her and what change she owed you. If my memory serves me correctly, in the '82-'83 time frame some jerk reported her to the state and she had to start tacking on 15 cents for sales tax.

There used to be another place on FM 60 south of town that had an all you can eat (catfish or chicken) special called the Country Kitchen that was pretty good chow, but I think it burned down after I left. Those were the good old days.

LifeLongAg
S
Country Kitchen was good in the 60's too. Mr. LifeLongAg took me there as well as to Clayton's for a very special treat. As I had already graduated from TWU and had a "real" job at the time, guess who bought dinner? (Mr. LLA was an engineering major so it took him longer to get through school -- and he had to stay out a year to work to get enough money to finish his education.)
Justahumbleaggie
Yep, all good memories! Thanks. I also remember Sparky's on a Saturday night and the Hall of Fame on Thursday nights
GoAgs92
AG
Whats the name of the place in Sommerville with the huge CFS?
WBBQ74
AG
And what about the Lakeview Club on Thursday and Saturday nights? Johnny Bush used to pack them in, but you couldn't dance while totin' a Lone Star longneck....LOL

"Recall.....Step off on Hullabaloo..."
Sgt. Hartman
AG
Sparky's was a little before my time, but I heard some stories. A long lost Northgate waterin hole from that era was the Thirsty Turtle (75 cent Lone Star quarts on Tues. nights). I cried a river of tears when they tore that place down for a damned convenience store.

Johnny Bush was a favorite at Lakeview, as was Dennis Ivey & the Waymen.
Ag_in_TX
I thought Thirsty Turtle was at Eastgate?

And for the hard core, who ever had the jalapeno pizza at Pizza Planet?
Land Shark
Ag in Tx you are the only person I have heard say they ate at Pizza Planet.

[This message has been edited by Land Shark (edited 10/23/2002 3:51p).]
Sgt. Hartman
AG
That was Thirsty Turtle II. That place was a dive with lots of leather, hair and motorcycles in the parking lot. Went in there once and it just wasn't my crowd.

The original was where the damned convenience store is now at across from the Campus Theatre (Shadow Canyon for the youngsters.)
Ag_in_TX
Ahhh ... I knew there had been something there. I was at A&M from 80-84, and our Northgate choices were Dudley's, The Chicken and The Alamo.
Paul Crewe
Yeah, you guys are old school.

My parents talk about Lakeview.

Ag_in_TX
Land Shark - Justahumbleaggie, his old lady and I ate a jalapeno pizza there one time that cooked our insides...

We used to go to Pizza Planet on Sunday night when Sbisa was closed, since they had a buffet...
HarryWahoo
A good steakhouse in Snook is Sodolaks, which is right on the highway. Unbeliveable HUGE steaks.

Martin's BBQ is still here. Place looks terrible, but still pretty decent.

Mr. G's Pizzaria in downtown Bryan is really good.

A place that I hear is really good, but haven't tried yet is a tiny restaurant on Texas Ave. not far from the Bryan Kroger call Hampton's. Family style place.
Land Shark
We usually went to Pizza Hut on University or the Pizza Inn just north of University and Texas. Really, no one ever mentioned eating at Pizza Planet.

Pizza Planet building is still here, for sale now, recently was a hair salon.
eric76
AG
Mr. Youngblood was featured on a half hour tv show one time, "Eyes of Texas" or something like that, because of his hobby -- RC helicopters.
bholman
Back in The Day, my favorites were Burger Hut (otherwise referred to as Slut Hut, don't know why) and Dead Solid Perfect. The latter was an old frame house someone had converted into a bar, with an old pool table. Used to get great hamburgers; the pattie was about the size of a softball, slightly flattened, and burnt just right... Yum!
terata
AG
quote:
There also used to be a place in Bryan where you could go, (it was someone's house), and they would serve you family style.

We called it "Ma Ball's", as the owner was named Ball. Yep, one could sit at a table with total strangers and pass around the food in bowls. I loved that place and the ambience, but hey that was a long time ago.

quote:
My parents talk about Lakeview.

I learned to dance at Lakeview. I had an Italian girlfriend from Bryan and she taught me to dance, among other things. Perhaps, a retro movement should be started for "Youngblood's" and "Lakeview" .

[This message has been edited by terata (edited 10/23/2002 7:58p).]
Paul Crewe
terata: What was her name? I guarantee I know her.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.