Wimbledon 2024

3,519 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by DonHenley
scd88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One of my gay sporting events of all time. Last year I went during the first week of play. It was crowded as ever but a lot of fun.

American tennis is not great.

ETA - edited to make a correction - Gauff is not out. I will say I have more faith on the women's side of American tennis than I do the men's.
RAP15
AG
Sabalenka withdrew this morning. Women's draw seems wide open.

Would love to see Tiafoe get back into form.
suprafly03
AG
I saw a post from Men's Tennis showing we have 3 Ags there playing. Who is it???
bigfoot10s
AG
Arthur in singles
Jackson and Austin in doubles
JPN06
scd88 said:

One of my gay sporting events of all time. Last year I went during the first week of play. It was crowded as ever but a lot of fun.

ETA - edited to make a correction - Gauff is not out. I will say I have more faith on the women's side of American tennis than I do the men's.
I bet you really miss Mauresmo
scd88
AG
JPN06 said:

scd88 said:

I bet you really miss Mauresmo

Haha. Well played. I did not see the typo, obviously. lol.

I'm working from home tomorrow so I'll get to watch some matches.
Chapa96
AG
I'll be leaving Saturday and staying in London all week. Tough to get a ticket so doing the queue line early mornings to hopefully get in. I have been to Wimbledon to tour it but never been to the actual tournament.
scd88
AG
Chapa96 said:

I'll be leaving Saturday and staying in London all week. Tough to get a ticket so doing the queue line early mornings to hopefully get in. I have been to Wimbledon to tour it but never been to the actual tournament.

You're gonna love it. I went last year.
Chapa96
AG
scd88 said:

Chapa96 said:

You're gonna love it. I went last year.
Thanks!

Doing all majors one year. Had done them all before but Wimbledon and not in the same year
Capybara
American tennis, who cares. Hopefully we get Sinner, Alcaraz, and (long shot) Rune in the semis.
scd88
AG
Danielle Collin's melting down here in the second set. She was up 5-1 and had a couple of match points she's lost. Now she has two more opportunities.

ETA - she broke to win her match.
JPN06
Enviroag02
AG
Tiafoe looking strong vs Alcaraz!
Enviroag02
AG
Tiafoe falling behind
scd88
AG
Man, alcaraz knows how to turn it on in the 5th set.
Enviroag02
AG
Umm this Gauff opponent looks…
Enviroag02
AG
Gauff looking at her players box like "wtf is going on", when it's clear it's her footwork and attitude.
scd88
AG
Enviroag02 said:

Gauff looking at her players box like "wtf is going on", when it's clear it's her footwork and attitude.

Her body language is terrible.

ETA - Navarro wins. I'm a fan of hers; she played great. The women's draw will be really interesting from here.
Aceswimmer09
So glad Gauff lost…I cannot stand the media's obsession with her. She has a horrendous hitch on her forehand, that if not fixed, will really hold her back. To date, she hasn't been willing to listen to anyone other than that buffoon, Patrick M. (Even though Brad is her current coach) re her forehand technique, and then Gilbert goes on an apology tour saying…if only Osaka had beaten Swiatek at the French Gauff would have won, and oh the roof was closed at Wimbledon and that really was unfortunate and oh she's been in Europe for 3 months and that's hard on her…it's excuse after excuse. She really needs a mindset and team change-out.
scd88
AG
You're not wrong.
safety guy
AG
Gauff is only 20 years old. She seems older because she has been in the spotlight for so long. Right now she is not good on grass, like Swiatek. But she is good on hard courts. So we will see how she does this summer.
Aggie Tennis
AG
Aceswimmer09 said:

So glad Gauff lost…I cannot stand the media's obsession with her. She has a horrendous hitch on her forehand, that if not fixed, will really hold her back. To date, she hasn't been willing to listen to anyone other than that buffoon, Patrick M. (Even though Brad is her current coach) re her forehand technique, and then Gilbert goes on an apology tour saying…if only Osaka had beaten Swiatek at the French Gauff would have won, and oh the roof was closed at Wimbledon and that really was unfortunate and oh she's been in Europe for 3 months and that's hard on her…it's excuse after excuse. She really needs a mindset and team change-out.
There are areas for improvement, but she is great for the game. I'd love to see her make improvements and win Wimbledon one day.

Rybakina is the clear favorite, but hope Navarro takes it.
bagger05
AG
Just turned on Fritz-Zverev.

I'm a VERY casual tennis fan. Is Fritz a poor returner or is Zverev's first serve basically untouchable? Looks like the latter.
Aceswimmer09
I like her as a person and she is trying to professionalize, but she has to fix a major, major flaw in her game. If she does well, she could go on quite a run given how weak the women's game currently is
scd88
AG
Wow. Taylor Fritz beats Zverev!!
bagger05
AG
Had a lunch appointment so I left right as they went into the 4th set tiebreaker.

Very entertaining tennis from what I saw.
safety guy
AG
Aceswimmer09 said:

I like her as a person and she is trying to professionalize, but she has to fix a major, major flaw in her game. If she does well, she could go on quite a run given how weak the women's game currently is

If she stays with Brad Gilbert, she will be fine. The 4 majors she has had with him include 1 win, 2 semis and a 4th round. She has improved her serve which had been a disaster. She has to fix the forehand. We've been spoiled by dominance recently in tennis and the media expectations for her were off the charts. She's 20 and if she ends her career with 4-6 major championships, that should not be viewed as failure. Look at Sofia Kenin. Young American who in 2020 won the Australian and was runner up at the French. Battled through injuries but is nowhere near where she was in 2020 and likely never will.
bagger05
AG
First time we've had two American men in the final eight since 2000 (Sampras and Agassi).
scd88
AG
bagger05 said:

First time we've had two American men in the final eight since 2000 (Sampras and Agassi).
Chapa96
AG
Future Aggie! Won 2&3 today. Looks pretty damn good. Barnaby in the background watching.
bigfoot10s
AG
I'll be surprised if he makes it on campus. Hopefully he does!
safety guy
AG
Who wins the men's final. Djokovic or alcaraz. Crazy that tickets for this are about $10,000 a ticket.
Chapa96
AG
safety guy said:

Who wins the men's final. Djokovic or alcaraz. Crazy that tickets for this are about $10,000 a ticket.
Dammnnnn..

Actually just got back yesterday from London. We stayed in walking distance from Wimbledon. We got up early and walked to W to stay in the queue. First day we stayed in line for 5 hours and actually got grounds tickets. This is Wimbledon. It's the Wimbledon experience. Once we got in, we had to get into another queue for stadium tickets. No luck. The second day we showed up an hour earlier at 5:30 am and actually got Centre Court tickets as well as Court 1 tickets. These are the resale tickets. Each were only 15 pounds which is about $19. We got to see Fritz when he lost. It was an experience to be at Wimbledon and let alone in Centre Court. We had a great time. We may go back next year.
Strat
safety guy said:

$10,000 was the lowest ticket price in the resale market. The announcers on tv said it was the most expensive lowest ticket price for a sporting event in history. Not sure if that is accurate or not.
scd88
AG
This is going to be an epic match. I like both of these guys for different reasons. I'll be happy for the winner; disappointed for the loser.

ETA - Djokovic looks slow but that may be because Alcaraz is on a heater. Unless Djokovic can break soon, this will be a short match. So far my prediction of a lm epic match was way off.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.