2024 Cricket World Cup (T-20)

2,742 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by canadiaggie
canadiaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
USA about to pull off a massive upset win over Pakistan!
canadiaggie
AG
Team USA pulled it off! What a win!
oragator
Legal Custodian
AG
Wow, some are saying this is the biggest upset in cricket history. So that's pretty awesome, reminds me of the 1950 USMNT beating England in the FIFA World Cup.

I know nothing about cricket other than what I've learned from the Bluey episode.
Legal Custodian
AG
canadiaggie
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Wow, some are saying this is the biggest upset in cricket history. So that's pretty awesome, reminds me of the 1950 USMNT beating England in the FIFA World Cup.

I know nothing about cricket other than what I've learned from the Bluey episode.

Pakistan has a history of suffering major upsets in tournaments - there was a loss to Kenya in 2002, Ireland in 2007, but I think this is bigger than either of those. Hopefully it ignites some interest in the sport here.

If we were to beat India this tournament, I think it would break the sport.
themissinglink
AG
Apparently, we're an elite cricket school.

Out in Left Field
AG
I loved watching the NZ T20 league over winter but haven't found any time for this tournament.
themissinglink
AG
My absolute favorite Bluey episode

Out in Left Field
AG
US vs India just started!
Legal Custodian
AG
Got to 110. India to chase, and we have to think it'll be a fairly easy chase.

But apparently the New York field has played slow all tournament which has resulted in unusually low scores. So who knows.
canadiaggie
AG
The NY pitch sucks. We have a chance. It's a small chance but it's a chance.

On the flip side - if we lose this and lose to Ireland, Pakistan may advance on points.
Legal Custodian
AG
Like I needed another sport to get into, but damn this is pretty fun as so much lies on every bowl.

USA got out of the first over at 2-1. Fantastic start.
Legal Custodian
AG
Another wicket for the US! It's 10-2 thru 2.4 overs. Couldn't ask for a better start from the US.

This is streaming on FuboTV incase anyone has it and is interested in watching.
canadiaggie
AG
Netravalkar is freaking legit. The whole Oracle bit is overplayed (he was a star in the India youth team in 2010 so he's not some nerd programmer-turned-athlete) but dude is going to parlay this into a fat IPL contract after this tournament.
Legal Custodian
AG
33-2 thru 6 overs. India is on pace currently for.....110
canadiaggie
AG
It's getting tense, India is getting slowly choked out. Unlike Pakistan they have the firepower to make it up
Legal Custodian
AG
Halfway done with India's inning. 10 overs complete and 47 runs for India. On pace for 94, but I guess the normal strategy is have your best batters for the later overs?

Over on the BBC live chat, they're saying India has gotta like where they're at.
canadiaggie
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Halfway done with India's inning. 10 overs complete and 47 runs for India. On pace for 94, but I guess the normal strategy is have your best batters for the later overs?

Over on the BBC live chat, they're saying India has gotta like where they're at.
This isn't India's usual strategy and the required run rate is creeping up.

This is shaping up like the recent Pakistan/India game where Pakistan was in a good spot but then began to let too many deliveries go by without scoring runs. In the end you need to hit 4s and 6s and that's not a great proposition on this pitch.
canadiaggie
AG
Damn. Last four balls have swung the pendulum heavily back in India's favor. Need a wicket to rattle the Indian lineup here
Legal Custodian
AG
canadiaggie said:

Legal Custodian said:

This isn't India's usual strategy and the required run rate is creeping up.

This is shaping up like the recent Pakistan/India game where Pakistan was in a good spot but then began to let too many deliveries go by without scoring runs. In the end you need to hit 4s and 6s and that's not a great proposition on this pitch.
Gotcha, thanks.
canadiaggie
AG
India just awarded 5 penalty runs, not sure wtf for. Apparently due to delays in between overs. WTF
Legal Custodian
AG
Wow, 5 run penalty given to the US. And with a 2 run and a single with the first two bowls in the 15th over.

It's now 27 runs needed out of 28 balls. Huge swing of momentum there and hurts the US chances big time.
canadiaggie
AG
Less than run-per-ball right now, need to dismiss one of the two Indian batsmen to have a chance. New batsman will need time to get acclimated to the pitch
canadiaggie
AG
canadiaggie said:

India just awarded 5 penalty runs, not sure wtf for. Apparently due to delays in between overs. WTF
Apparently this over-clock rule was instituted this year. This might be the first instance of the penalty in an international game
canadiaggie
AG
Damn. Dagger six and four
canadiaggie
AG
India wins. They have one spot locked up in the Super 8.

We still control our fate. We need to beat Ireland. If we lose, we need Ireland to then beat Pakistan.

Pakistan needs us to lose to Ireland and then they need to beat Ireland. There are some opaque tiebreakers involved but because Pakistan's win against Canada was decisive and their two losses incredibly close, tiebreaker favors Pakistan.

A very real scenario could be that both games get washed out by rain in Fort Lauderdale, in which case we'd go forward based on current results. There are no make-up games in this tournament.
RJHouston
AG
Hmm.. looks like lots of rain forecast in Lauderhill for Thursday and Friday.. A washout is not out of the equation.
PascalsWager
AG
I was at the India/Ireland match on June 4th in New York. The pitch (batting surface) is close to unplayable and dangerous. The pitch's wear and tear is one of the biggest factors that exist in the game. The New York Pitch was brought in from Adelaide which is a cool story. But the execution has been atrocious. Actual professional batsmen have died playing cricket within the last 10 years due to how unpredictable the bounce is on a poor playing surfaces.

For reference, I think a par score where bat and ball are about equal would be 180 runs in a T20 match. But recent T20s in India have started seeing soaring runs like 220 even 250 plus runs.

Considering that they played in some of the most difficult conditions ever against an absolute juggernaut side in India, the group of semi-pros in the US team should be incredibly proud of how they acquitted themselves.
canadiaggie
AG
RJHouston said:

Hmm.. looks like lots of rain forecast in Lauderhill for Thursday and Friday.. A washout is not out of the equation.

Yep. And to correct my previous statement: a washout of the US game moves us ahead based on the point split which means Pakistan cannot tie on points even if they beat Ireland.

Bit anticlimactic but probably best for our advancement chances.
canadiaggie
AG
USA vs Ireland gets washed out, which means that the US advances to the next round!
Legal Custodian
AG
US vs South Africa is on right now.

SA batting first and currently at 133-3 thru 14 overs. Currently on pace for 190 which would be a tough number to get to for us.
Legal Custodian
AG
Ouch, South Africa finished at 194. This will be a very tall task to chase them down.

Need to average 9.7 runs per over
canadiaggie
AG
Ugly total but good start.

But now Steven Taylor is out...

Think Jones and Anderson will have to carry the end of middle down the stretch and to the end.
Legal Custodian
AG
US lost 194-176. Pretty respectable showing to be honest
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.