Olympic Softball

1,570 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by littlebitofhifi
monarch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Women leading Italy 2-0 T4; playing in a baseball field in Okst Orange uni's? Sure as hell isn't red to me.
Peace for Ukraine!
monarch
S
Final was 2-0 with Cat Osterman in the circle? Weird way to play.
Peace for Ukraine!
TXAggie2011
AG
It is really odd to be staging the softball and baseball games on the same fields, but that was apparently what it took to convince the IOC too approve them for these games.

The weird field combined with no fans, and its like watching super talented intramural teams.

Cat is apparently still pissed off Japan took the gold medal last time and wanted to come back and beat them in Japan. But Team USA will have to play better than they did yesterday to beat Japan
monarch
S
Cat is 38 now? Shikes!
Peace for Ukraine!
nereus
AG
I just don't understand that logic. If they permanently added baseball/softball, I guess I could see that. A host city that didn't have an adequate baseball or softball venue would now only have to build 1 venue instead of two and if they just had baseball they wouldn't need to build a separate facility for softball. So I can see why they would want to keep it cheaper for future host cities in countries that aren't big baseball or softball countries as the cost of hosting these games keep rising. Still, you would think they would allow countries that already has the additional softball only facilities to use them.

But my understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, is that they didn't do that. They added baseball/softball after Tokyo was awarded the games because baseball is really big there. So it seems like hosting softball in one of Japan's softball stadiums wouldn't be that expensive even if it needed a few upgrades and those upgrades would continue to be used in the future. Then it goes away for France in 2024. It comes back for the US in 2028 but again that is only a 1 time deal (correct me if I am wrong). We defiantly have softball stadiums in LA (or maybe UCLA gets some upgrades to host in their stadium), but we definitely have the ability for them to be playing in a real softball stadium.

I don't think it is finalized for 2032 in Australia, but my understanding is the default is current set a no baseball/softball for 2032.
tk for tu juan
ShotOver
AG
Did they stand for the nat'l anthem?
monarch
S
Not sure if they played it; by the time the game started, they missed showing the first 2-3 pitches.

Ladies did beat Australia 2-1 in the bottom of the 8th. The CNBC studio announcer, had to get political after the game was over, saying something to the effect that the ladies played the way Joe Biden said they would or some BS stuff like that.

Girls won the game and Joey B had nothing to do with it.
Peace for Ukraine!
Aggie95
AG
well, they are playing in ***ushima...less than 40 miles from the nuclear disaster site, so they might all come home with tails and/or an extra eye
littlebitofhifi
AG
Are you just trolling? The studio commentator's Biden comment was simply about the Olympics bringing people together. It had nothing to do with softball and was after the story about the 12-year old Syrian table tennis athlete.

Will be very interested to see how the US chooses to play in their final group stage game now that they've locked a spot in the gold medal game. I'd be ok with resting Osterman and Abbott a bit, but boy do we need some bats to step up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.