Drama at the Kentucky Derby

3,338 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TXAggie2011
FriscoKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Woah! Winner DQ'ed
TexasRebel
AG
First time ever.

65-1 long shot won.
Agnzona
Wow did the Kentucky Derby just put the final nail in the horse racing coffin?
Crazy Ag 97
AG
Legit call. The move to the outside prevented another horse from being on the podium. Any other racethey make the DQ call in 30 seconds.
FriscoKid
AG
Millions of dollars switched hands on that call.
FriscoKid
AG
Crazy Ag 97 said:

Legit call. The move to the outside prevented another horse from being on the podium. Any other racethey make the DQ call in 30 seconds.

That was a NASCAR move. Rubbing is racing.
TxSquarebody
A gut punch for sure, but it was the right call.
oragator
Will give the derby millions in feee press over the next week or two.
Will be just as likely to give the sport a boost as a negative.
BoxingAg84

Cassius
Terrible call. The horse that was bumped finished 8th. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd place horse were even after the turn. Max out ran them all at that point. Oh well.
tk for tu juan
Cassius said:

Terrible call. The horse that was bumped finished 8th...

Getting impeded and having to slow down had a lot to do with the final placement. Even NASCAR would penalize a driver on a double move like that
johnnyblaze36
AG
I had a 7, 20 EX BOX. I've not screamed in anger so loud in a very long time once that decision was made.

I really do think it was the biggest pile of horse chit in SPORTS history other than maybe last year's NFC Championship game.

But really this was worse. I'm extra salty having it cost me a nice pile of cash but it's impossible to feel good for anybody involved. Sigh.
mavsfan4ever
AG
So weird. #7 definitely should've been dq'd I guess. But the horse he screwed (#1) ended up gettting like 5th, and It seemed like #1 was going to win. The second place horse #20 wasn't even affected by the foul. So it's so weird that #20 gets to win and #1 just gets screwed.

Seems like they need a new rule but I have no clue what it should be
mavsfan4ever
AG
Cassius said:

Terrible call. The horse that was bumped finished 8th. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd place horse were even after the turn. Max out ran them all at that point. Oh well.

The horse that was bumped could've won. That's why the ruling isn't fair. It penalizes the first place horse and does nothing to benefit the horse that got hurt.
TexasRebel
AG
That's how just about every track race is.

DQ for interference, but any change in position caused by the interference stands. No way to speculate what "should" have happened.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea I donot know the rules. I figured that's what they were. Just seems really unfair. But not sure what you can do about it.
Aggie12B
AG
Payouts for the derby:
HORSE WIN PLACE SHOW
20 Country House $132.40 $56.60 $24.60
13 Code of Honor $15.20 $9.80
8 Tacitus $5.60
$2 EXACTA 20-13 $3,009.60
$1 TRIFECTA 20-13-8 $11,475.30
$1 SUPERFECTA 20-13-8-5 $51,400.10
Hershey97
You must not watch much NASCAR
Cassius
tk for tu juan said:

Cassius said:

Getting impeded and having to slow down had a lot to do with the final placement. Even NASCAR would penalize a driver on a double move like that

It had nothing do with the final placement. There were 4 horses dead even at the turn. Max turned on the burners and out ran them all. Sad day for the derby.

I haven't watched Nascar in years, but did so faithfully for about 10. Nascar never penalized drivers for blocking. That's called "racing". I remember watching Gordon actually spin Wallace on the final lap at Bristol to win one time. Guess what.. No Penalty!!
tk for tu juan
Are you seriously saying War of Will having to slow down did not effect his final placement. What video are you watching?

MidTnAg
AG
I saw four horses, each weighing about 1200 pounds running right up against each other at about a 40 mph pace. In this situation, there will ALWAYS be some bumping and jostling for positions. To think otherwise is stupidity. But was the "bumping" beneficial to one horse over another?

Seems like there should be two questions:

Did the Stewards see any indication that the jockey made any movement that would cause Maximum Security to deviate from its path?

Did any movement by any horse have any influence on the order of finish of any horse?
Threadbare
MidTnAg said:

I saw four horses, each weighing about 1200 pounds running right up against each other at about a 40 mph pace. In this situation, there will ALWAYS be some bumping and jostling for positions. To think otherwise is stupidity. But was the "bumping" beneficial to one horse over another?

Seems like there should be two questions:

Did the Stewards see any indication that the jockey made any movement that would cause Maximum Security to deviate from its path?

Did any movement by any horse have any influence on the order of finish of any horse?
You guys are all missing the point.

What you saw was a hairsbreadth within a pile-up that would have resulted in destroyed horses, seriously injured or dead jockeys, and probably a threat to the sport itself.

The jockey didn't do anything wrong. The horse did, when he veered out suddenly into the path of the other horse. His jockey actually did a good job of getting him back toward the rail quickly.

But, they have to DQ that horse. It's not really "fair", but there has to be incentive to avoid that situation, no matter how difficult. Most knowledgeable racing people that I've heard comment think that the result had to be taken down, but, whether they would have made that call or not, none of them think it was a terrible, beyond-the-pale decision. It was right on the edge (just like horse racing itself).

They can't say for sure who would have won. (The lead horse interfered with half the field when he made that move.) War of Will (descendant of Man O' War and War Admiral) looked like he had some steam left when he had to pull up, but he finished so far back that it doesn't matter.

Any way you slice it, a horse is not allowed to cut off another horse coming up behind with a sudden lane change like that; if the stewards think that's what happened, then they made the right call. DQ's are common. It's just part of horse racing.

It's disappointing for everyone involved, but those are the breaks. It's a capricious sport by nature.
Threadbare
Cassius said:

tk for tu juan said:

Cassius said:

It had nothing do with the final placement. There were 4 horses dead even at the turn. Max turned on the burners and out ran them all. Sad day for the derby.

I haven't watched Nascar in years, but did so faithfully for about 10. Nascar never penalized drivers for blocking. That's called "racing". I remember watching Gordon actually spin Wallace on the final lap at Bristol to win one time. Guess what.. No Penalty!!
When a horse clips another's heels, horses (and sometimes riders) can die.

I don't really think NASCAR has anything to do with it...
twilly
AG
Since this was the first time it happened at the Derby, has there ever been a case where something like this happened and they DIDN'T change the results?
TexasRebel
AG
Past KDs are a good place to begin looking.
MAROON
AG
twilly said:

Since this was the first time it happened at the Derby, has there ever been a case where something like this happened and they DIDN'T change the results?
with 20 horses in the field - I'm gonna speculate it happens most every year. Someone gets cut off or bumped seriously.

Bob Baffert not too impressed with those who lodged a protest.

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/bob-baffert-has-strong-response-to-kentucky-derby-controversy
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
TexasRebel
AG
Why do they run the horses at the same time? Wouldn't a staggered start or individual runs work?
tk for tu juan
TexasRebel said:

Why do they run the horses at the same time? Wouldn't a staggered start or individual runs work?

Then it is no longer a race, just a time trial where people can ***** about changing track conditions favoring the early runners
TexasRebel
AG
So the track conditions for the horses getting hit but the face with mud are the same for the early front runners?
TXAggie2011
AG
Stood outside the wagering windows in the Churchill Downs infield turned mud pit for 20 minutes holding what I thought was a winning ticket.

It didn't feel too great and too correct at the moment, but watching the tape, I think they made the right call.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.