Women's Swimming and Diving NCAA Selection

2,713 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by roboag
halco87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Psych Sheet

In: Belousova, DeBever, Field, Gonzalez-Hermosillo, Pickrem, Pike, Powers, Quah, Rasmus, Toney, Yelle

Katie Portz has been scratched from the meet. Portz Scratched

Still to be determined are the relay alternates (can take up to 4) and divers from the Zone meet contested Mar 11-13.
rugger74
AG
Based on projections, a top ten finish would be great.
halco87
Mark Theall lowered his school record in the 200 free to 1:33.68 last night, should improve his chances of qualifying for the NCAA meet as an individual.

https://swimswam.com/mark-theall-likely-qualifies-for-ncaas-on-first-day-of-asccs/#comments
halco87
Add Charlye Campbell on 1m and Alais Kalonji on platform to the list of Aggies competing in Austin.
roboag
AG
Just watched the 800 Free relay. We added a little over 3 seconds. Came in 8th so we got points. t.u. dropped time & came in 5th. Unfortunately, Claire has a had a not so good 1st leg which messed us up.
DallasAg 94
roboag said:

Just watched the 800 Free relay. We added a little over 3 seconds. Came in 8th so we got points. t.u. dropped time & came in 5th. Unfortunately, Claire has a had a not so good 1st leg which messed us up.
I was hoping to watch, but had to leave.

Meet Mobile has the NCAA race:
Rasmus: 1:44.25 <- Added 1.19
DeBever: 1:45.29 <- Added 1.11
Yelle: 1:45.26
Pickrem: 1:42.95 <- Added 0.29

At the SEC we swam:
Portz: 1:44.57
Rasmus: 1:43.06
DeBever: 1:44.18
Pickrem: 1:42.66

Since Portz was scratched, we replaced her with Yelle.

At the SEC:
200Free: Prelim // Finals
8th. Portz: 1:45.70 // 1:46.34
13th. DeBever: 1:46.02 // 1:46.14
14th. Yelle: 1:45.88 // 1.46.26

So, Yelle swam 0.62 improved.

Hopefully not a sign of things to come.

Tomorrow morning:

E2: 200 Free Relay
Eldridge (22.49)
Sapianchai (21.92)
Carlton (22.38)
Rasmus: (22.20)

E3: 500 Free
#13: Yelle
#24: Rasmus
#53: Field

E4: 200 IM
#2: Pickrem
#18: Debever
#23: Belousova
#24: Gonzalez-Hermosillo
#46: Toney
#55: Quah
roboag
AG
Yep, I was checking the results on MeetMobile too.
roboag
AG
We have an opportunity to score a lot of points tomorrow.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94 said:

Tomorrow morning:

E2: 200 Free Relay
Eldridge (22.49)
Sapianchai (21.92)
Carlton (22.38)
Rasmus: (22.20)

E3: 500 Free
#13: Yelle
#24: Rasmus
#53: Field

E4: 200 IM
#2: Pickrem
#18: Debever
#23: Belousova
#24: Gonzalez-Hermosillo
#46: Toney
#55: Quah
Pickrem swam for Rasmus, which shouldn't be a surprise, with Rasmus in the 500Free immediately after.

Ladies finished 9th, dropping 0.17.

Tuned in, just in time to catch Rasmus in the 500Free. She was in Lane 8.
Rasmus swam 4:43.97; Added 4.86.
Yelle's swam a 4:42.00, she added 4.08
Field swam a 4:44.58, added 0.60

Prelims are online for free:
https://texassports.com/watch/?Live=360&type=Live

Results.
http://www.sidearmstats.com/ncaa/swimming/index.htm

<Edited to add Yelle's time>

DallasAg 94
Ok.. finally some good news on points:

200 IM
2nd: Pickrem (A-Final) - 1:52.75 (+1.09)
15th: Gonzalez-Hermosillo (B-Final) - 1:56.38 (+0.56)
26th: Quah - 1:57.07 (-1.76)
28th: Debever - 1:57.26 (+1.52)
34th: Belousova - 1:57.66 (+1.86)
52nd: Toney - 1:59.49 (+1.49)
jbeaman88
AG
What's up with the 400MR DQ for a freestyle stroke infraction? Don't see that too often at this level.
DallasAg 94
jbeaman88 said:

What's up with the 400MR DQ for a freestyle stroke infraction? Don't see that too often at this level.
I didn't see the event, but it was likely what has been referred to as the "Lochte Rule."

For USA Swimming:
The rule with freestyle events is... you can swim anything.
The rule with backstroke is... you have to be on your back.

For the MR... and the IM... I can't recall the exact rule wording... but I believe it indicates the rule for any one stroke is limited to one-fourth the distance. It happens more for the IM, and that is, at the turn for freestyle, when you come off the wall, you have to be on your breast... that is your shoulders have to be such that your breast is down. If not, and your back is down... it is technically considered backstroke, and thus, you've swum more than 1/4 the distance in that stroke.

There have been modifications to the interpretation for the past couple years, with USA Swimming, and I'm not sure how the rule is interpreted at NCAA, but I'm guessing that is the issue. I think it has ranged from coming off the wall (ie once your feet leave contact from the wall, you must be towards the breast), to the start of your 1st stroke (ie, you can glide off the wall as your body moves towards the breast).

With the Olympics in 2020, I would expect the interpretation to be tighter overall.
roboag
AG
That 200 BR (2nd place to Lily King) by Sidney Pickrem has got to be a team record! It was a great swim!
halco87
Galat actually went slightly faster trying to run down King last year in the 200.

Looks like a BS call on Rasmus but judge for yourself. 400 Medley relay

Ella Eastin, however, probably kicks on her back at the first freestyle turn in the 400IM and definitely does at the 50 turn. 400 IM Final
DallasAg 94
halco87 said:

Galat actually went slightly faster trying to run down King last year in the 200.

Looks like a BS call on Rasmus but judge for yourself. 400 Medley relay

Ella Eastin, however, probably kicks on her back at the first freestyle turn in the 400IM and definitely does at the 50 turn. 400 IM Final
Thanks for posting those.

I would have thought they had access to video review, at this meet?! I know for the men, a few years ago, there was a question about the Breast and Tenn players, with the upward propulsion. In that meet, they used video reveiw... and they used video with one of our women Breast on their kick off the wall. I think we had a discussion as to whether you could actually make the call, with the turbulent water.

Regardless, with Eastin, I can't see the 50 turn. Because her back is towards me, I can't really determine from that angle on any of the swimmers. On the 25, it doesn't appear to be any different than Rasmus. Based on what I could tell from that angle, the CJ and Meet Ref should have asked for more information on Rasmus, and at that level I can't see how you take that call.

In fairness... the last Official's Meeting I can recall, it was an Age Group meet. Probably a B/C... maybe an A meet, likely in Rockwall.

The "spirit" of the "Lochte" rule... or intent was not to disqualify swimmers on a technicality, but to prevent swimmers from swimming 15M underwater on their back. Which does violate the 25% rule. The reason interpretation has been fluid is, how strict to call it.
halco87
Watch at the 50 turn for Eastin, right after she flips white water kicks up and you can see her feet kick up. It's impossible for the water to kick up that close to the wall after the turn unless she immediately kicks on her back. Doesn't happen for anyone else in the race.

Now, I think the Lochte rule is nonsense. There are freestylers kicking off the wall on their backs in freestyle races, so if you can do it there you should be able to do it anytime you're making a freestyle turn. This just highlights the nonsense of calling it at all because it's so ridiculously subjective.
DallasAg 94
halco87 said:

Watch at the 50 turn for Eastin, right after she flips white water kicks up and you can see her feet kick up. It's impossible for the water to kick up that close to the wall after the turn unless she immediately kicks on her back. Doesn't happen for anyone else in the race.

Now, I think the Lochte rule is nonsense. There are freestylers kicking off the wall on their backs in freestyle races, so if you can do it there you should be able to do it anytime you're making a freestyle turn. This just highlights the nonsense of calling it at all because it's so ridiculously subjective.
I agree water kicks up. I agree it would seem impossible to kick up water that closely to the wall. However, she is pretty deep in the water, which makes it difficult to see her shoulders. I agree with you, she is likely kicking up, towards her back. I just can't see her shoulders or distinguish her position.

Her suit is different than the ladies in lane 5 & 6. Their suit shows more back/side. When they turn, you can see where the suit and back change colors, which makes it easy to see their position. Which is definitely on their breast. Lane 5, she almost splashes out of the water and is clearly on her breast. Lane 6, not as dramatic, but similar.

I actually slowed it down. I think the best indicator is the suit and the back, just under the arms. Using that, her 25 and 75 are close, but on the 50, even though she is deep, you can see the transition/rotation of her right shoulder. You don't see that rotation until well after she has left the wall. Her final breast position is consistently later than Lane 5 & 6, which would indicate the splash at the 75 would have to be from her back.

On the 25 and 75, her turns would indicate the Official is likely using a standard that by the flags, she must be on her breast. That would seem a reasonable expectation. For the turn, you would be on your back when your feet hit the wall. That would require your hips to be towards the back, and unless you are gumby, your shoulders as well. You can drop one foot lower on the wall, to start your rotation, which is what Lane 5 & 6 appear to do, which is why you can clearly see their skin on the side with the suit showing they are on their breast. Eastin's feet don't appear to do the same, or she would be further in her rotation on the 25 and 75.

One last point... the MR was on Thurs and the IM was on Friday. There is a strong likelihood, that a discussion was raised about the DQ during the Friday "Officials Meeting," however, it appears equal application was not applied.

What makes it more suspect is, at that level meet, you should not have such a discrepency. The S&T Judge, CJ and Deck Ref all 3 would have to accept the call. I think I misstated Meet Ref above. With the meet in Austin and it being A&M... it is very disappointing.
halco87
Thanks for the in depth explanation/breakdown!

The fact that is requires Zapruder film like review is a testament to it being a ridiculous standard to apply.
DallasAg 94
halco87 said:

Thanks for the in depth explanation/breakdown!

The fact that is requires Zapruder film like review is a testament to it being a ridiculous standard to apply.
My pleasure.

Agreed.

I think it has always been a controversial call, and one I was never comfortable calling. If there is a disagreement among officials on how it should be applied, I can't see enforcing it.

Benefit always to the swimmer.
roboag
AG
Great explanation!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.