NCAA VB Selection Show

2,812 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ContinentalAg
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
At 8pm...Aggies likely will make another return trip to Austin to play someone like SMU.
Solid season at 21-8 with a tough non confernce slate probably top five in country however didnt win as much of those matches as we liked.

8pm on ESPNU
tk for tu juan
Some of the out of conference teams we played ended up as the co-2nd place Big Ten, 2nd place Big12, and 2nd place ACC teams.
mullokmotx
AG
Great job by the team earning an at large bid. They came so close to getting a trophy finishing 1 game behind Missouri, who they beat, and Florida. I look back at the first SEC game at Alabama where they lost in 5 sets as what could have been.
SMU is no slouch. Their final RPI was only a few places behind ours.
flintdragon
AG
Can't make the Friday game in Austin but hoping they will be playing Saturday later in the day so I can pop on over. Games are on LHN. grrr...
masag
AG
Go Lady Ags! My daughter is tuned in.
coloradoag69
AG
Looking at the bracket, it appears the SEC got 4 teams in: Florida (11), Missouri (15), Kentucky and A&M. Given the conference record that seems fair.

For those of you who are more in the know than me, is our potential second round pairing fair, or are we paying the price for being too close to Austin? I know only 16 of the 64 teams are ranked, but it looks like Kentucky is traveling a long way to play Washington (8). If all 64 teams were ranked and then paired up, we should be ranked 29th, if my math is correct. Does that sound right for us?

As much as I like being in the SEC in general, one of the ways we've paid for it is being too close to the other Texas teams in the non-revenue sports. It feels like at tournament times, we get over matched for our seed because of proximity. Thoughts?
mullokmotx
AG
I think in every sport where one school hosts that geography is a prime factor in the pairings. The NCAA tries to minimize plane travel. We have been pretty good in securing host spots in everything except volleyball since we joined the SEC.
I haven't seen that many volleyball matches this season, but the one tonight seems to be the poorest play that I've seen. Only Hans and Blake hit the ball consistently and there were a lot of mis-hits. McGee especially never got going. By the RPI ranking the teams were pretty even and SMU just played better.
_mpaul
AG
coloradoag69 said:

It feels like at tournament times, we get over matched for our seed because of proximity. Thoughts?
Yes. We should get better so that we are not over matched. And we should not get beat by SMU in round 1 and then complain that we were over matched because of proximity.
tk for tu juan
Stanford beating Wisc, Minnesota, and Texas was definitely a hard earned championship, and that is after being down two sets to Wisc.

Has a female coach ever won a NCAA women's volleyball championship? It has been a male coach since I've been watching in the late 90's
Wicked Good Ag
No female coach has won an volleyball NCAA title...maybe back when it was called something else AIWU I think but not under NCAA

As for our season....we played one of the toughest non conference schedules around losing to Wisconsin Minnesota, and Texas all seeded in top four plus Florida State and Ohio State (sweet 16 teams). Add to that Florida and Kentucky and the only loss in regular season that isn't understandable is Alabama

This team was solid but faced a scary team in the NCAAs in SMU and we didn't play well and deserved to lose.

Every top team has pins that can terminate, we do also but not consistently at all. McGee hit negative for the first two sets in probably every match of the last 10 and you cant have that happen even if she hits better after the break. Add to that that Babers was maybe 75% on her shoulder for the season and blocked and hit for a high percentage still but have to be in system for that to occur and win those tougher matches

We return setter, middle, two outsides, and libero along with a DS from the rotation but will have to have someone fill Babers shoes which could be a Under Armour AA from Arizona. Need a solid 6 rotation outside to push McGee as a starter to give needed depth...not sure that is someone on our current roster which IMO is too big

Love the program and glad to see the non conference schedule the way it was...win a couple of those tough matches and we might have been seeded

ContinentalAg
Aiple retiring.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.