***Recruiting Thread***

215,158 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by deh40
sean00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pumpkinhead
AG
Smith might only be 6'0" but verification can dunk:

Know Your Enemy
AG
The Silent Assassin never rests.
sean00
AG
Watched most of his games with Bridgeport. He's an effortless leaper. I'll yet try to post a couple of other videos of him dunking. But it's the little things on the court he does best. Good passer and good rebounder.
Method Man
I believe Hop is saying "hold on" on this commitment until we hear something officially.
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
I believe Hop is saying "hold on" on this commitment until we hear something officially.
It's sounding like he's going to A&M. I think the question is whether he's on scholarship or a preferred walk-on.
Method Man
I'm okay with either. He seems like a four year player that can contribute at some point.
Duck Sausage
Method Man
GE
AG
Hops latest post indicates scholarship, which I'm good with.
LawHall88
AG
Wendell Carter, class of 2017 PF:

quote:
Wendell Carter Jr., a five-star power forward from Fairburn, Georgia who holds an Auburn offer along with Duke, Georgia and Texas A&M, had 14 points and three blocked shots.

http://www.annistonstar.com/sports/auburn/basketball-auburn-commit-posts-double-double-in-team-usa-win/article_e2f31a12-3a44-11e6-8547-373b57e42698.html
Method Man
mdanyc03
AG
An offer from a couple of days ago. Will baker. 2019 from westlake.

https://twitter.com/thrillbaker
GE
AG
We have to have several dozen offers out. At least we are offering early enough that those are spread over 17, 18, and 19 and we aren't just carpet bombing by offering everyone in one class.
Aston04
AG
One year deal on a scholarship would make sense to me.. Might as well use the scholarships we got.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
One year deal on a scholarship would make sense to me.. Might as well use the scholarships we got.

This Smith kid given his HS resume and highlights looks like he could be just as good a D1 PG over his career as say an Anthony Collins. He looks maybe more athletic than Collins. I don't think he is a better prospect than Caldwell but as Method said he seems like a guy who could be a 4-year scholarship player who contributes in college. Looks better than a walk-on to me.
GE
AG
Has to be a better scorer than Collins too
Method Man
FtWorthAg19
quote:

Know Chris from his time at Country Day in Fort Worth, really good kid.
mdanyc03
AG
quote:

Awesome idea. Let's put him on scholarship for one year when we don't need him. Spend a year and tons of resources developing him. And the once We need him and he is ready to help us, let's cut him loose.
Aston04
AG
what my post meant was staff could potentially tell the player you have 1 year guaranteed on scholarship.. if it goes well, then by all means keep using the scholarship...if not, maybe on preferred walkon status..

In reality all scholarships are 1 year deals.. but a player well under the radar, late in the game and with extra scholarships hanging around for this year, it could make sense to offer under the above-mentioned understanding.

At least that would be the more ethical way to about it than just planning to trap door a guy on an extra scholarship, if he doesn't work out great.
Method Man
This HC has had no problems running players he didn't want off.
Aston04
AG
^true. It really is the secret to the limited success Billy has had imo
GE
AG
quote:
^true. It really is the secret to the limited success Billy has had imo
Disagree. Offering early and often and building an atmosphere that people want to be a part of is what has led to the success Billy has had. Running people off doesn't mean Jack if you're replacing them with equals
mdanyc03
AG
You don't really think that, do you?
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:

I work for a software company. When they move you to the office in the basement and take away your favorite stapler, that apparently is the signal that maybe you should start looking.
mdanyc03
AG
quote:

I don't think he has "run off" anybody that wasn't a discipline problem.

Letting a guy know he won't get playing time and helping him find a landing spot is not the same as "running somebody off."
mdanyc03
AG
So to give a straight answer, Caleb smith had other good opportunities. I am sure we recruited him hard and told him why we wanted him. I am sure we didn't say give him some crap lecture that made it clear we didn't think very highly of him.
mdanyc03
AG
Now, back to recruiting.
Method Man
Call it what you want. It doesn't bother me either way at this point. It did before when he wasn't bringing in upper echelon talent
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Call it what you want. It doesn't bother me either way at this point. It did before when he wasn't bringing in upper echelon talent
Transfers bother fans at lot less if the coach is winning games.
Aston04
AG
quote:
You don't really think that, do you?
BK does have a track record of running guys off. I will say in his defense that is has become the norm in college basketball these days though.
Aston04
AG
quote:
So to give a straight answer, Caleb smith had other good opportunities. I am sure we recruited him hard and told him why we wanted him. I am sure we didn't say give him some crap lecture that made it clear we didn't think very highly of him.
Perhaps- but those on the fence between preferred walk-on/scholarship winner-- it can play out how I mentioned. I guess the question is if the recruit falls into that category.. I see very little public info out there on him on his recruitment, but maybe he is a late bloomer.

And it is pretty crappy to get your last word in and then expect the discussion to be over ("now back to recruiting")...
Aston04
AG
quote:
quote:
Transfers bother fans at lot less if the coach is winning games.
Agree completely.
mdanyc03
AG
quote:
quote:
Perhaps- but those on the fence between preferred walk-on/scholarship winner-- it can play out how I mentioned. I guess the question is if the recruit falls into that category.. I see very little public info out there on him on his recruitment, but maybe he is a late bloomer.

And it is pretty crappy to get your last word in and then expect the discussion to be over ("now back to recruiting")...
He's not a late bloomer. He is a late qualifier. His transcripts were a mess (bad home situation, home school, then public school before finally going to a prep school and getting it straightened out). But once he qualified, he had several decent programs recruiting him. So he isn't a late bloomer nor is he somebody that was on the fence, at all, between scholarship player and preferred walk on.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.