***Recruiting Thread***

215,157 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by deh40
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Staff still seems to be putting effort into Reggie Chaney. Visiting him in Dallas today. Coaches from Arkansas and TCU also visiting. And Chaney then is doing an official visit to Oklahoma State this weekend.

LawHall88
AG
Looks like we are making a run at Louisville decommit Courtney Ramey:

Quote:

"Some of the people who were there in the beginning, even outside of Louisville, like Texas has made it a point that he's still option number one and they're ramping it up." the elder Ramey said. "The new staff at Ohio State, they're coming deep and calling like crazy saying he's option number one and Marquette, Purdue, of course Missouri as well.

"Those have shown the strongest and then you got new schools like Texas A&M, Wichita State and Clemson," he added. "Cincinnati had offered early and they have been calling now like, 'Do we have a shot? We want to go full charge.' So we got a lot of new blood coming."
https://scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Five-star-point-guard-Courtney-Ramey-restarts-recruiting-process-108456452
LawHall88
AG
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hop said:

I'm hearing from my source that A&M is still the preferred choice...just working through some things. I still wouldn't rule out signing in the early signing period. That's just my opinion. We'll see...
Saw this on the Georgetown board:

Quote:

Hoyareport is indicating that Josh LeBlanc will probably attend Midnight Madness next week.

Hop, also I noticed this:

https://georgetown.rivals.com/news/ewing-visited-leblanc

One of the assistant coaches on LeBlanc's high school team in Baton Rouge is Darrell Owens, a former star basketball player at Georgetown.

If 'just working through some things' includes dealing with one of his high school coaches being a former Georgetown player plus the info that his mother prefers the Hoyas, understandable how difficult it has been for A&M to close this deal.

Here is another post from the Georgetown board, speculation, but maybe this poster has a decent rough take on the situation:

Quote:

Pure speculation from me but I think Josh was set on going to A&M to join his family/friends and was keeping us in as a favor to Darrel Owens who's a big part of his life. Then his mom started pushing for the Hoyas and there was some compromise made to see how the Hoyas look once the season starts and if things have changed the Josh heads to the hilltop. I think the delaying of the announcement might help as long as we show semblance of playing a player conducive style of basketball this season.
If Owens and mom are getting him up to D.C. for their Midnight Madness thing, definitely the push on the kid to go there seems pretty heavy.
Know Your Enemy
AG
LawHall88 said:

Damn. Thought I had a scoop with the Jalen Wilson unofficial. Just saw him mom post on Instagram that they were there. FWIW she didn't know who Coach Chew was. He's obviously not Jalen's recruiter.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Not specifically A&M but SEC related. Georgia had a 4-star Top-100 rated recruit verbally commit to them on Saturday, and then decommit from them today less than 24 hours later. Ouch.

Aggie09Derek
AG
Was on his official visit. Guessing he got pretty excited and committed then talked to family and decided needed to take more time.
Method Man
PROb took some cash and committed then got off campus and got a better offer
Pumpkinhead
AG
Method Man said:

PROb took some cash and committed then got off campus and got a better offer

I know you are joking, but the recruiting analysts have been opining that this 2018 recruiting class will probably be the cleanest class in a long time. That you would have to be a complete idiot to be coloring outside the lines right now.

rlb28
AG
Pumpkinhead
AG
Mom and that Georgetown alum HS coach appeared to have pulled out all the stops to sell LeBlanc on GU instead of A&M, including somebody paying extra dime (LeBlanc already used up his official visit to Georgetown) to get him over to Wash D.C. this weekend. We'll see what happens this weekend and shortly after, to see if GU is able to close the deal.

LawHall88
AG
mdanyc03
AG
Has anybody heard anything about Nigel Hawkins from cy falls? We offered over the summer but I can't find anything about his recruitment ( official visits, etc).
Hop
Staff
AG
mdanyc03 said:

Has anybody heard anything about Nigel Hawkins from cy falls? We offered over the summer but I can't find anything about his recruitment ( official visits, etc).

I watched him early in the summer at The Gauntlet event and did a premium interview with him that's in the basketball recruiting section. His ballhandling was a tad weak. Solid athlete. High three star guy...I don't think A&M has pushed him much since the summer and his name hasn't come up as far as top targets over the past couple of months.
rlb28
AG
mdanyc03 said:

I just looked... crickets!!
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hop said:

mdanyc03 said:

I watched him early in the summer at The Gauntlet event and did a premium interview with him that's in the basketball recruiting section. His ballhandling was a tad weak. Solid athlete. High three star guy...I don't think A&M has pushed him much since the summer and his name hasn't come up as far as top targets over the past couple of months.
Hop, do you think the Aggie staff will be able to get LeBlanc to continue holding off on any decision and perhaps also come to Maroon Madness in a couple of weeks, since he is going to Georgetown's equivalent this weekend? Or is this more likely a case where the people around him are so heavily in favor of pushing him to GU that him finding a plane ticket or car ride to College Station would be considerably more difficult than how he found a plane ticket to Washington D.C.?

The guy who put out that LeBlanc is coming to their event this weekend is very confident.

mdanyc03
AG
Quote:

perhaps also come to Maroon Madness in a couple of weeks
Not sure I would use that as a big recruiting event.
Pumpkinhead
AG
GU closed the deal on LeBlanc. bad luck that the kid's HS coach in Baton Rouge happened to be an ex-GU player.

This is a big loss for Ags. Really good recruit who looked like a perfect fit.

LawHall88
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

GU closed the deal on LeBlanc. bad luck that the kid's HS coach in Baton Rouge happened to be an ex-GU player.

Well, poop. Staff better be hiding some cards or this is shaping up to be a disappointing recruiting year.
Ben Puig 97
Ags #1
AG
How can the staff go from recruiting like the have to completely whiffing???
Duck Sausage
AG
Ruh roh
Expert Analysis
AG
There was not much in our favor in the recruitment of leblanc. Not supeising he went to play for ewing at a good school in a cool city.

Our roster is in decent shape even with a limited class, unless we have additional loss that woulsnt be expected. It will put huge pressure on the next class thoigh, but we will have lots of PT to sell.
GE
AG
LawHall88 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Well, poop. Staff better be hiding some cards or this is shaping up to be a disappointing recruiting year.
Have a good enough season and we can likely sign some great players in the spring.
CypressAg09
AG
After a few years of solid recruiting, never thought we would get shut out on early signees this year.
Pumpkinhead
AG
We seemed to be in the final three-ish for Taeshon Cherry at Trojans. The other highly rated 2018 forward that the Trojans had committed to that 2018 class (Brooks) just decommitted as fall out from the FBI probe. The assistant coach who was the primary recruiter of Cherry is the coach who got arrested. As of now though Cherry seems to be still on board but interesting news. First sign at USC of their highly rated 2018 recruiting class now perhaps unraveling a bit.

jml2621
CypressAg09 said:

After a few years of solid recruiting, never thought we would get shut out on early signees this year.

I wonder who's missing...
phorizt
Brooks lives in Seattle but is actual from san Diego originally and is close to Cherry. The coach who got fired is also a San Diego guy with strong ties to that area and Cherrys recruiter so it will be interesting to see how this turns out. I think Cherry stays on the West Coast either way.
LawHall88
AG
Aggie09Derek
AG
Hefner is class of 2020
LonghornsNo1
LawHall88 said:

Another Houston Defenders player. His big sister is already in school in Aggieland, A&M will be a heavy favorite to land him. Kid who has insane hops and can knock down the long ball. Also has very good vision and high basketball IQ. Some of you may be old enough to remember Rex Chapman. Game kind of reminds me of his.
LawHall88
AG
sosolik
AG
Looks like we offered Morton Ranch's LJ Cryer (2020 PG).
Pumpkinhead
AG
Interesting decommit from TCU. Dallas kid.

We were listed in his Top-7 as of August, but no idea of what may be behind this decommit.

https://scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/2018-wing-Feron-Hunt-sets-visits-105851840

Quote:

Hunt, who has a top seven of Arkansas, Houston, Kansas, Texas A&M, Tulsa, TCU and UT-Arlington, will start off his visit schedule with a trip to Tulsa the weekend of August 26th.

Method Man
Can someone explain why we didn't push for the white Aggie legacy who ended up at Baylor?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.