***Recruiting Thread***

215,259 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by deh40
mdanyc03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alabama has no point guard I believe . Had a couple of out transfers. I saw some of their fans wondering if aj Jr. would be ready to start........
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
Alabama has no point guard I believe . Had a couple of out transfers. I saw some of their fans wondering if aj Jr. would be ready to start........
they still have Dazon Ingram as far as I know. Started as a freshman before injuring his foot.
gphid97
AG
Yep, they were really counting on him this year before the injury. He's the reason 4 star Justin Coleman transferred down to Samford after being passed by the true fish.
Method Man
cbates85
Any news on Corprew?
Method Man
quote:
Any news on Corprew?

Everyone passed on him.
agfan1030
quote:
Quinn Slazinski @QSlaz1 3h3 hours ago
Blessed to receive an offer from Coach Kennedy and the Texas A&M family! #TAMU

(followed by Ulric Maligi)

quote:
Sugarland, TX - 2019

SchoolFort Settlement HS
PositionSmall Forward
Height6'1"
Weight145 lbs.
AAU TeamHouston Defenders
HometownSugarland, TX
Class2019

cbates85
quote:
quote:
Any news on Corprew?

Everyone passed on him.
Why? Grades?
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
Why? Grades?
Yes
Method Man
wacarnolds
AG
That's some quality competition
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:

Method Man
Method Man
hoya-ag
AG

Cedar Bayou Ag
AG
Will Hop or Logan be on TA radio this morning to discuss basketball news?
Method Man
Thanks Hoya Ag
Method Man
quote:
Will Hop or Logan be on TA radio this morning to discuss basketball news?

What news?
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:

Alabama just picked their own grad transfer guard Corban Collins from Morehead ST. Bama was also on this Hampton kid's final list along with Georgia Tech and Ole Miss. But both Bama and Ole Miss have grabbed a guy now so unless it is Georgia Tech maybe, then looks like there is a strong chance this is who A&M ends up with regarding the grad transfer musical chairs game.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/05/alabama_basketball_lands_gradu.html
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:

I wonder what the connection was that got Porter to even make this visit. Anybody know?
Method Man
I hope he signs so you feel better PH
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Who? Porter Jr or the Hampton guy?

In terms of Hampton, just only from quick internet browsing, I'm kind of have a 'meh' feeling about him if that is the guy. I definitely liked Gillon a lot more who looked legit. Never seen Hampton play so I'll try to keep an open mind, but hopefully he turns out better than a 'we were desperate for a warm body' sort of signing.
mdanyc03
AG
Maybe.,... Porter sr in the mysterious "candidate with close ties to current recruits" that Logan referenced a while back.
treyyates
AG
I think he might just be. That would sure be one heck of a hire.
RoseRichAg01
quote:
Maybe.,... Porter sr in the mysterious "candidate with close ties to current recruits" that Logan referenced a while back.

mdanyc03
AG
quote:
quote:
Who? Porter Jr or the Hampton guy?

In terms of Hampton, just only from quick internet browsing, I'm kind of have a 'meh' feeling about him if that is the guy. I definitely liked Gillon a lot more who looked legit. Never seen Hampton play so I'll try to keep an open mind, but hopefully he turns out better than a 'we were desperate for a warm body' sort of signing.
So I guess this all goes to what you think this team needs.

To be clear, Gillon is the one I wanted. But I am good with Hampton too.

We have a lot of good pieces already. What I think we need in this spot is the right fit more than anything. The guys we have been recruiting are all guys that averaged 16 points per game or so at their last spot. I for one certainly hope that we don't have a 6'0 grad transfer point guard scoring 16 points per game for us. If that happens, it means that we aren't getting the production we all hope for out of Tyler, DJ, Trocha, Admon, etc.

I for one feel very good about JJ Caldwell. I think a lot of you are using J Mike or Jamal Branch as your reference point. I think Caldwell is much better than those guys. He went to these national tournaments and had national analysts tweeting that he was in the conversation for the best point guard in America. He obviously wasn't rated as high as some of the other guys from his same class but I think that is mostly based on height and long run upside. For me the reference point is Tyler Davis. Obviously different positions but I think he will be a similar quality true freshman starter relative to his position as Tyler was.

That being said, all I want out of this grad transfer is somebody that can 1) take care of the basketball/ beat pressure/ run the offense, 2) play defense and 3) knock down a three pointer out of the double team and 4) make free throws at the end of games when we are up. Basically like Anthony Collins (generally speaking) except for the third (which was because Collins had a low slow release since accuracy wasn't his problem).

I get that Gillon is a guy you can go to to get a bucket when you need it. That is a nice luxury. But hopefully we are going to Tyler, DJ and Admon in that order when we desperately need a bucket and not a 6'0 point guard.

Long story short; Hampton may not be a difference maker but that isn't what we need. I would have preferred Gillon but I would be perfectly happy with Hampton and perfectly confident he can fill the role we need him to fill.
Method Man
"I for one feel very good about JJ Caldwell. I think a lot of you are using J Mike or Jamal Branch as your reference point."

I don't think so. I think most people think we will be good but not necessarily wanting to roll him out and expect him to start.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:

I found the Livingston theory more plausible at the time but there is this:

quote:
Porter is a 1989 graduate of the University of New Orleans.

And we all know Kennedy knew everybody back in New Orleans back in the day, ha ha. I got the sense though the mysterious new hire was a guy with a lot of coaching experience so I doubt it though.

Somebody obviously had enough of a connection to get Jr. to do an unofficial however, so was curious.

Sure seems like if Porter Jr. doesn't go the Kentucky/Duke/Kansas route that he is most likely to go to Washington (Romar who is his godfather), Mizzou, maybe Oklahoma. I can't see A&M having any real chance unless there is some truly amazing connection that is unseen as of this moment.
phorizt
Billy coached at UNO when Porter Sr. played there so that is the connection. Not sure if he was the one who recruited him but they go back to the late 80's.
Shepherd Boy
Did Porter Jr's little brother (Jontay) come as well or is he still committed to Washington?

Remember a story of Sr going to coach there with Romar but ended up turning it down.
GE
AG
quote:
Did Porter Jr's little brother (Jontay) come as well or is he still committed to Washington?

Remember a story of Sr going to coach there with Romar but ended up turning it down.
He came as well. They both posted pictures of themselves with coach Kennedy and Maligi on their twitters
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Billy coached at UNO when Porter Sr. played there so that is the connection. Not sure if he was the one who recruited him but they go back to the late 80's.
Thanks for the information. That sounds like the relationship.

And to the Steeple poster, there ya go. Although it probably won't amount to anything in the end (like the Kyrie Irving visit several years back), here is a current example of Kennedy having at least enough personality that an old personal relationship resulted in an elite 5-star visiting College Station.
GE
AG
quote:
"I for one feel very good about JJ Caldwell. I think a lot of you are using J Mike or Jamal Branch as your reference point."

I don't think so. I think most people think we will be good but not necessarily wanting to roll him out and expect him to start.
I think a lot of people are using our history of getting excited about incoming freshmen just to be disappointed as their reference point.
wacarnolds
AG
How many non-5star PGs have had great freshman years?
GE
AG
quote:
How many non-5star PGs have had great freshman years?
Great? Not many. I can't even think of one off the top of my head.

Good? Enough that we can consider it a reasonable possibility.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.