Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Sous Vide

103,420 Views | 509 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Mule_lx
scoodogg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Anova One is on sale for $99 right now.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8292697-anova-one-sous-vide-cooker-for-99-anova-precision-gets-50-off
BEaggie08
AG
The Anova 2 is on sale for $129 on their website.
ILikeTacos
AG
Just want to give a thumbs up to Anova, after a year of trucking along with my Kickstarter Anova One, the power cord decided to short out and melt down on me. I contacted their warranty department and I was able to send back my Anova, and they just sent me a warranty replacement!

It is nice to see a company stand behind it's product. I didn't know what the warranty would be like, and was willing to buy a new one, but they took care of it no problem!
hph6203
AG
Dog chewed up my Anova and they let me send that back for replacement with no hassles.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Picked up an Anova 2 on sale last week - any recommendations on a vacuum sealer?
beb06
AG
I'm also looking for recommendations on a vacuum sealer.
Duncan Idaho
I just picked up whatever one was athe Sam's or costco. It's done did what I needed
Tx-Ag2010
AG
What's your price range? I like my vacmaster vp320. Depending on what you plan on vac sealing the vp215 is also a good option

If you plan on using it a lot you will save a ton of money on bags.

I had a foodsaver and got tired of replacing it every year when the pump burnt up. But they are a good option if you only plan on using it occasionally.

Edit:
Not recommending the vp 320 in particular just speaking to the quality of their units. There are smaller less expensive chamber seal units like the vp112 ($550) but still likely more than most people NEED. It is nice though to be able to vac seal soups and other things.
Duncan Idaho
I paid $70 for mt foodsaver.....the $1400 difference between that and the vacmaster will buy more bags than I will use,in a lifetime
bigtruckguy3500
$100 circulator cooker if you get the white one.

http://www.amazon.com/Gourmia-Digital-Immersion-Circulator-Precision/dp/B017HX1FTC
bthotugigem05
AG
My latest sous vide, a sirloin cooked at 130F for about an hour: https://i.imgur.com/9qtVISH.jpg
BlueMiles
AG
If it's in the thread, tell me where and I'll go back and read it. How do you finish the steaks: broiler, grill, butane torch? I'm hoping for instruction on the former, as that's what I have right now.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Screaming hot cast iron skillet is the easiest way I've found. If I am cooking for 10-15 people I will fire up the pit but it isn't worth the waste of time and charcoal to do it for a couple steaks.
BlueMiles
AG
Thank you, I can do that, too. Pictures in this thread look so good!
chipotle
For a few steaks I'll cook on a hot buttered pan and baste while it sears
bthotugigem05
AG
The steak from my pic was seared on a fairly hot cast iron skillet for 45 seconds a side twice, then I went around the edges on the skillet until it looked relatively uniform. Then the awkward part happened where I did a photo shoot with a steak.
ILikeTacos
AG
quote:
The steak from my pic was seared on a fairly hot cast iron skillet for 45 seconds a side twice, then I went around the edges on the skillet until it looked relatively uniform. Then the awkward part happened where I did a photo shoot with a steak.
"Work it! Work it! NO! NO! NO! Ok, I'm spent."
bthotugigem05
AG
I was
bigtruckguy3500
quote:
Do you wait till it has cooled down before putting it in the skillet? I feel like if you're not careful and you sear it right after bringing it out of the water, it can raise the internal temp beyond what you want. But if you let it cool too much, then it'll be cold inside.
bthotugigem05
AG
I pat dry the steak and let it rest for about 5 minutes or so. With such a short sear you're not risking overcooking and the steak won't cool too quickly.
Goose06
AG
Thinking about getting one of these for my wife for Christmas. I literally just came across these today and never had heard of Sous Vide so trying to figure out if this would be a good gift for my wife. She cooks a lot, but not usually steaks. Also, we have a 3 year old and an almost 1 year old so I would say something easy to cook is her typical (which means quite a few crock pot meals and breakfast for dinner type meals). Does this make cooking easier or just make the steak taste better while requiring more work?

I am picturing my wife using this to make chicken to use in a salad or pasta or to pair with some steamed vegetables. I would then use it to make steaks (my benefit of buying this for her is I get to use it, right!)

The specific item I am looking at is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinary-Bluetooth-Precision-Cooker/dp/B00UKPBXM4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1450136222&sr=8-5&keywords=sous+vide+oven

Any feedback would be appreciated on if this is a worthwhile purchase. Thanks!
jh0400
AG
I've got that one. We use it quite a bit for weeknight meals, and the steaks are a good bonus.
jh0400
AG
752bro4
AG
Not near the same resolution or photo op of bthotugigem05, but sirloin at 120, rested 10 minutes, then 60 seconds each side in a cast iron from a 525 oven. Butter/garlic/thyme as the fat

http://imgur.com/Uyxy0n3
ILikeTacos
AG
quote:
Just want to give a thumbs up to Anova, after a year of trucking along with my Kickstarter Anova One, the power cord decided to short out and melt down on me. I contacted their warranty department and I was able to send back my Anova, and they just sent me a warranty replacement!

It is nice to see a company stand behind it's product. I didn't know what the warranty would be like, and was willing to buy a new one, but they took care of it no problem!
And the new one won't heat water past 130*.

I just threw it in the trash, not going through that crap again. I got it EARLY in the kickstarter and definitely got it's worth out of it.
schmendeler
AG
Anyone heard of Joule by the chef steps people? Looks pretty cool.

Edit for url: https://www.chefsteps.com/joule
jh0400
AG
I haven't read up on it, but how is it different than an ANOVA?
schmendeler
AG
After a quick glance looks the the Joule is 1100 watts vs the other 800. Also the Joule has a magnet to stick it to the bottom of a cooking vessel as well as the clip.
752bro4
AG
Have a prime tenderloin (2.25 lbs) in the fridge on a wire rack, covered in salt for NYE. Tied up with butchers twine.

Planning on a quick sear, then 3 hours at 122 with 2 tablespoons of butter and some thyme and peppercorns. 15 minute rest. Another quick sear in the skillet.

Hoping its photo worthy.
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
quote:

And the new one won't heat water past 130*.

I just threw it in the trash, not going through that crap again. I got it EARLY in the kickstarter and definitely got it's worth out of it.
I've gotten hundreds of hours out of my Anova 2nd Gen. Even did an overnight experiment at 185 (which tested the water level sensor due to evaporation). Sorry to hear yours was no good.

752bro4
AG
quote:
Have a prime tenderloin (2.25 lbs) in the fridge on a wire rack, covered in salt for NYE. Tied up with butchers twine.

Planning on a quick sear, then 3 hours at 122 with 2 tablespoons of butter and some thyme and peppercorns. 15 minute rest. Another quick sear in the skillet.

Hoping its photo worthy.

http://imgur.com/0XYsWyK

Served with 2012 Peju Cab
Whoop04
Question for a newb: I am putting together a bachelor party (Lajitas golf!) and want to reheat two briskets and a pulled pork that will be smoked the day before the trip. Is it possible to put all three in an ice chest and heat them at the same time? What temp should I heat them to?
redd38
AG
The ziploc vacuum bags suck ass, btw. Just use regular freezer bags.
chipotle
I just sucked it up and bought a foodsaver since the ziplock vacuum bags didn't hold well under water.
terradactylexpress
quote:
Question for a newb: I am putting together a bachelor party (Lajitas golf!) and want to reheat two briskets and a pulled pork that will be smoked the day before the trip. Is it possible to put all three in an ice chest and heat them at the same time? What temp should I heat them to?

I would think you could vac seal the meat and then just toss it in hot water to warm it up

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.