Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Sous Vide

102,664 Views | 509 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Mule_lx
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just got a promo email from Anova announcing a new Pro model

https://anovaculinary.com/introducing-the-anova-precision-cooker-pro/

not an endorsement, just a fyi
HTownAg98
I'm seriously considering getting rid of my Sous Vide Supreme, getting an Anova, and repurpose that counter space for a toaster oven.
htxag09
AG
Recently there was a question of the balls that float on your liquid to prevent evaporation causing fluctuations in the water temp....I'm towards the end of a 24 hour cook with them, I periodically checked the water temp at multiple depths and multiple places with a thermopen. Dead on every time. This is with a joule, fwiw.
investorAg83
AG
htxag09 said:

Recently there was a question of the balls that float on your liquid to prevent evaporation causing fluctuations in the water temp....I'm towards the end of a 24 hour cook with them, I periodically checked the water temp at multiple depths and multiple places with a thermopen. Dead on every time. This is with a joule, fwiw.
Ooooh...what's the 24hr + cook that's happening?
HTownAg98
Leg of lamb sous vide at 132 for 12 hours and seared on the Weber kettle. Best lamb I've ever cooked.
DTP02
AG
Need some Sous Vide brisket help. I was planning to follow the serious eats recipe which is at least 24 hours at 155, then a finish on the smoker for a couple hours plus some rest time after.

But due to some unforeseen issues my total cook time got shortened to about 20 hours, so even if I shorten to two hours for finishing on the smoker plus a little rest, I'm down to 18 hours in the bag.

For now I've raised the temp to 165. Can I go even a little higher without messing it up? Should I shorten the bag time another hour and allocate that time to the smoker and resting?
OldAg1997
AG
I got a sous vide for Father's Day. First thing that I tried to do was a butter poached potatoes. When I pulled the bag out of the water, a hole had developed in the bottom (not where the bag was sealed at the vacuum sealer) and the potatoes fell out into the water.

Has anyone else encountered something like this before? Did I do something the wrong way?

Please help, TIA.
htxag09
AG
I have not.

What kind of bag did you use and what was your water temp?

I assume the bag just melted.
OldAg1997
AG
It was a food saver bag that came with the vacuum sealer. Temp was 190F.
htxag09
AG
190 is pretty high but don't think it should've melted.

Maybe a bad bag? I'd consider double sealing that side of the bag for hotter cooks.
OldAg1997
AG
Thanks. I'll try sealing that side, as well.
Vernada
AG
Looking to get into Sous Vide -

Is the Anova Precision the obvious choice?
gvine07
AG
Yes, thats what I have and I don't think you'd ever look back. But the guy with the Sous Vide Everything channel on YouTube prefers the Jule because of the app.

Just buy one and start cooking!
Vernada
AG
I may look at the Joule - it gets good recommendations too and it looks like the Anova Precision is sold out.

It's not available on their website and the one I could find on Amazon looks to be BT only which means it's an older model.

edit: NVM - I see the current model Precision now - not sure why it wasn't showing up earlier.
bmc13
AG
anyone used the instant pot one? i saw it on the prime day sales. not looking to buy as i already have an anova but just wondering on reviews.
htxag09
AG
Made Alton browns Sous vide cheesecake this past weekend. Was pretty damn good and really easy.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/ic-mini-cheesecakes-7297817

OlArmy01
AG
htxag09 said:

Made Alton browns Sous vide cheesecake this past weekend. Was pretty damn good and really easy.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/ic-mini-cheesecakes-7297817

Cheat meal here I come.
Mule_lx
AG
If I precook a tri-tip sous vide on the 23rd and then put it in the fridge, would searing it on the 25th be sufficient for reheating? If not, other suggestions?
htxag09
AG
I would probably throw it in the sous vide to get up to temp before searing. If all you do is sear it, the inside will still be cold.
Mule_lx
AG
htxag09 said:

I would probably throw it in the sous vide to get up to temp before searing. If all you do is sear it, the inside will still be cold.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking, but was wondering if anyone had experience there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.