Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Sous Vide

103,395 Views | 509 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Mule_lx
bigboykin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, I went looking for some nice thick-cut pork chops, but couldn't pass up these ribeyes on manager's special for six bucks apiece. Pretty stoked for dinner!

fta09
AG
Tri-tip might be one of my favorite things to do. I still prefer doing my steaks on the grill, but the tri-tip comes out great. Pork is an easy choice, either chops or loin, and salmon comes out melt in your mouth good.
Ag_07
AG
fta09 said:

Tri-tip might be one of my favorite things to do. I still prefer doing my steaks on the grill, but the tri-tip comes out great. Pork is an easy choice, either chops or loin, and salmon comes out melt in your mouth good.

I'm taking my shot at a sous vide tri tip chili this weekend. We'll see how it turns out
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Got an Anova bluetooth the other day and trying to figure out what to cook first.

I've pulled a vacuum sealed ribeye (2" thick) out of the freezer. It doesn't have salt and pepper on it. Would it be okay to just pop it into the sous vide and then s&p before searing? Or will that not be as good?
DPlainview
AG
In my experience, steaks are better when seasoned before, but it isn't a deal killer. Drop it in and just S&P before searing.

Max Power
AG
Season before it goes in the bag, and again before you sear.
rilloaggie
AG
Little teaser to what I hope will be a great meal tonight! I shot a 160lb hog on opening weekend and started one of the backstraps in the Joule yesterday around 5 at 167 degrees. Following this Chefsteps recipe:

www.chefsteps.com/activities/wild-boar-schweinebraten-roast-pork-with-wild-game-expert-david-draper

Straps trimmed and salted

Pre-searing in cast iron

Seared up and have the marinade waiting behind

Bath time! I will update tonight with some pictures and a report.
rilloaggie
AG

Time for the update!! I think the recipe would be good...but I am not sure a West Texas feral hog is the best choice of meat for this one. It came out super tender but there was next to no fat in the meat so there wasn't really anything to render or provide juiciness. When I covered the meat in gravy it was pretty tasty and I think that trying to cook these sans sous vide I probably wouldn't have been able to eat them due to toughness and dryness. Here are pics...they aren't pretty

Sometimes you have a a dud in the kitchen!

Searing away

Medium-ish

Fork tender was about the only thing these had going for them.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Bummer.

I'm going to try wild duck breast tomorrow. I typically don't keep the skin when I clean them, but I did this time.
schmendeler
AG
rilloaggie said:

Little teaser to what I hope will be a great meal tonight! I shot a 160lb hog on opening weekend and started one of the backstraps in the Joule yesterday around 5 at 167 degrees. Following this Chefsteps recipe:

www.chefsteps.com/activities/wild-boar-schweinebraten-roast-pork-with-wild-game-expert-david-draper

Straps trimmed and salted

Pre-searing in cast iron

Seared up and have the marinade waiting behind

Bath time! I will update tonight with some pictures and a report.

Why such a high temperature?
rilloaggie
AG
I followed the recommended temps on the Joule app. Thinking they are erring on the side of caution big time with their temps. To be honest, I am totally cool eating pork that is on the rarer side but something about this being a feral hog had me wanting to make sure it was welll done also.
Ag_07
AG
Did anything render when you seared them? Next time maybe try searing after the bath.

And I agree that 167 seems high seeing as I do pork tenderloins at 140.

But good try. Not like you ruined a top grade cut of meat.
aggielax48
AG
Annova 900W Wifi version on sale at Amazon for $112. Buy or hold out for a deal on a Joule? Maybe I'll buy and return if there is a good deal on the Joule.
aggielax48
AG
Anybody have a share joule code they are willing to share?

Edit-nevermind, looks like it doesn't combine since you have to use a code to get the BlackFriday discount
BEaggie08
AG
I made Tomahawk Ribeye Steaks with my Annova yesterday. They turned out great, but my wife packed it into the cooler and then threw the clamp on top of it and cracked the screen. I'm thinking of replacing it with a Joule. Any had/have both and care to chime in? The Annova I'll replace is the BT 800 Watt version, while the Joule has BT, WiFi, 1100 Watts, and seems to have some other pretty cool features.
aggielax48
AG
I think the pros for the Joule are more power, smaller form factor, magnet bottom and allegedly better reliability. The cons are it doesn't have manual controls, is more expensive and the big clamp is an extra.

If you like the Annova, some folks swear by the Monoprice ripoff. It was on sale for $50.
BEaggie08
AG
aggielax48 said:

If you like the Annova, some folks swear by the Monoprice ripoff. It was on sale for $50.
This is helpful info. I already ordered a Joule, but if the Anova craps out after the injury, I may pick up the Monoprice version.
752bro4
752bro4
AG
Monoprice $50 800w sous vide - free shipping
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
What temp and time for boneless skinless chicken breast? Found some on sale so I vacuum packed with salt, pepper, olive oil (since they were skinless), and some fresh herbs.
biobioprof
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

What temp and time for boneless skinless chicken breast? Found some on sale so I vacuum packed with salt, pepper, olive oil (since they were skinless), and some fresh herbs.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html
aggiemike02
AG
aggielax48 said:

I think the pros for the Joule are more power, smaller form factor, magnet bottom and allegedly better reliability. The cons are it doesn't have manual controls, is more expensive and the big clamp is an extra.
Agree with all of these. have a Joule and really like it.
hbc07
AG
I'm looking to possibly upgrade from my vacuum sealer from the ~10y/o foodsaver I currently have. Preferably something that can handle bags with liquid. Any recommendations?
aeroag14
AG
Did a Turkey for Thanksgiving. Was absolutely fantastic. Probably the second best turkey I have ever had (one time I had an out of this world smoked turkey that was cooked at a super low temp and was ridiculously moist).

It was a lot of work but definitely worth it. Pre butchered the bird and separated the legs/thighs and the breasts. Injected the bird with a simple brine/injection marinade, simple salt/pepper/garlic rub for the skin and then sealed white and dark meat separately. Left skin on.

Bathed the dark meat over night at higher temp, morning of thanksgiving threw the white meat in and dropped the temp. Let cook for ~6 or 7 hours. Pulled everything out and broiled (oven grate as close to the heating elements as possible) skin side up for a few minutes until the skin was crisp and golden brown.

Absolutely fantastic. As moist as you can get a turkey and a very nice flavor. I would definitely recommend seasoning the skin/outside and injecting.

In the future I may even consider only doing breasts as it will greatly reduce effort a is already so moist that I don't think anyone specifically cared any more for the dark meat.
awesome sauce
AG
From my experience, bone and skin are important for flavor. I haven't done turkey but split chicken breasts (with bone and skin) taste SIGNIFICANTLY better than boneless, skinless breasts - even if you remove the skin before browning. I peel back the skin, season generously, then stretch the skin back over before cooking.
DiskoTroop
Lamb chops from NYE

htxag09
htxag09
AG
Have some fresh red fish fillets from last week, anyone have a good recipe?
Ag_07
AG
Give em to me. Before you freeze them of course.

I would think any salmon recipe would work. This tequila lime recipe is awesome on sous vide salmon if you just marinade it per the recipe and then just drop it in the bath instead of grill it. Think it would be good with red fish.

http://www.dvo.com/recipe_pages/weber/Tequila_Salmon.php
HTownAg98
Sous vide turkey thighs are a thing of beauty when done right.
Max Power
AG
I know it's likely unnecessary since salmonella is so rare with eggs but I use my Anova to pasteurize eggs. Add those in raw with my protein shakes. And I don't have to worry about the eggs ending up cooked in the shell.
aeroag14
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Sous vide turkey thighs are a thing of beauty when done right.

Oh they were great.

But the breasts were just as good and just as moist.

Since I Sous Vide'd the thighs and breasts at different temps, they were both just about as moist as each other.
zephyrtexan
AG
What temp do you do that at?
txagfisher
AG
Does anyone have a code for a joule they would be willing to share?
Ag_07
AG
Anybody done a sous vide brisket? I know I know...Blasphemy.

But I wanna give it a shot just to see how it turns out and stands up to a traditional smoked brisket.

I've done some reading up bu have a couple questions...Should I cook an entire brisket or just the point or just the flat? Do I trim it like I would if I were smoking it? I'm guessing there is no need to season the brisket and refrigerate overnight like I typically would.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.