Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Sous Vide

103,367 Views | 509 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Mule_lx
DonaldFDraper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Adjusted for time and effort, it is very good. Good enough in fact it is hard to justify smoking the traditional way unless I just want to sit around and watch the pit for 12-18 hours.

We did it for a tailgate and it was perfect. Cooked it sous vide on Thursday, kept it in the fridge, then smoked it on Saturday.

Either is point or flat are good. Trim as normal but do not over trim. No need to season the night before.

I would recommend to smoke closer to 300. When you put the brisket on the pit, you are just wanting to add smoke flavor and create the bark. But it will already be fully cooked so hot and fast will be better for forming the bark and not drying it out.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket.html

chipotle
Did a turkey: breasts were good and the leg/thigh was the best I've ever had.

Pretty much just did it this way:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-better-way-to-turkey-cook-that-bird-sous-vide-for-the-best-feast-ever
Ag_07
AG
Thanks for the tips. That's what I was reading up on but still had a few questions.

Do you buy the brisket flat/point or do you buy a whole brisket and cut it yourself? Only reason I ask is that at HEB last week the only flats and points they had were already trimmed and had essentially no fat cap.

If that's all I can find I'll just buy a packer and cut it myself and freeze the other half.
docaggie
AG
I buy the whole one and trim it down. The HEB points / flats look convenient, but they just don't have enough fat. I've tried and don't like how they come out.
I usually cook mine then go right to the smoker, but I'm liking the idea of tossing it in the fridge and then doing a higher temp smoking for a better bark. Smoke sticks better to cold meat, so I can see how that might be a benefit.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ag_07
AG
Interesting. I have always had the impression smoke adheres to raw meat better than cooked but smoking it first then dropping in the bath seems dumb. The bark you'd get smoking seems like it'd just disappear in the bath.

For the first crack at this I'm gonna buy a packer brisket trimmed, bathe it in the sous vide for approx 30 hours at 155 then smoke it for 3 hours at 275-300.

Again I'm just interested as to how it stacks up against what I'd get out of smoking it for 12+ hours. If I can get a decent end product it'd be great to have as a backup plan when weather or time don't permit to smoke it traditionally.

We shall see. I'll update here.
Ag_07
AG
Quick update...Brisket turned out pretty damned good. Very tender and point was juicy as hell. 3 hours on the pit gave it a really nice bark. Yeah it's missing a kick of smoke but not to the point where you feel like you're just eating a roast.

I'll certainly be doing this again when time or weather don't allow for me to watch a pit for 12 hours.

DonaldFDraper
AG
Excellent!
htxag09
AG
Anyone done a whole backstrap?

Have some axis backstrap and this is my plan at this point: season with salt, pepper, fresh rosemary, and garlic, sous vide at 130 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, finish with a 90 sec or so sear of each side in a cast iron skillet. Definitely still open to suggestions, though. Also contemplating doing a quick sauce while I let the backstrap rest.
bigtruckguy3500
Question: I'm going to have some extra chicken drumsticks I deboned and am currently sous-viding. Should I just put it in the fridge after it's cooked and then use the skillet tomorrow/day after to warm it and crisp up the skin? Or should I go ahead and crisp it up today after it comes off the sous vide and then refrigerate it? I'm leaning towards fridge today and crisp before eating tomorrow.

Nevermind, found this: https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-thigh.html

Looks like I'll just keep it in the bag and put it in the fridge and take out as needed, then put it skin side down in a skilled for long enough to crisp the skin and warm up the rest of the meat.
htxag09
AG
Well, since I had a lack of suggestions I went with my original plan....salt, pepper, rosemary, and garlic; sous vide for 2 hours at 130, then seared for maybe a minute per side in a cast iron skillet. Topped it with a red wine, mushroom, and cream sauce. Didn't need it but was still a great addition. Was without a doubt the best backstrap I've ever had.
Ag_07
AG
That looks raw
ILikeTacos
AG
Ag_07 said:

That looks raw
fta09
AG
I'm pretty sure I saw that pic when I was browsing imgur the past day or two.
htxag09
AG
Yeah, I added it to imgur last night to post on here. It was probably my first public picture on there, I didn't realize how active the site was.
ethridgem
AG
Ag_07 said:

Quick update...Brisket turned out pretty damned good. Very tender and point was juicy as hell. 3 hours on the pit gave it a really nice bark. Yeah it's missing a kick of smoke but not to the point where you feel like you're just eating a roast.

I'll certainly be doing this again when time or weather don't allow for me to watch a pit for 12 hours.

What did you add to the bag for the sous vide portion of the cook? I wonder if adding a healthy amount of liquid smoke would help get that smoke flavor to penetrate the meat during that portion...
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

What did you add to the bag for the sous vide portion of the cook?
Nothing. Just seasoned with salt and pepper like I would if I were smoking it

Quote:

I wonder if adding a healthy amount of liquid smoke would help get that smoke flavor to penetrate the meat during that portion...

Many do suggest this but I'm not a big fan of liquid smoke.

I think it's pretty easily discernible from real smoke and gives the meat a distinct taste. Maybe I'd try if someone I knew had tried it and given the OK, but for now I just can't bring myself to use it.
ethridgem
AG
Quote:

but for now I just can't bring myself to use it.
Fair enough! I might give it a try and will report back.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah report back because I am curious.

This thread bump has convinced me to throw a brisket in the sous vide this weekend.
Moxie
AG
Expecting my Anova in a few days and ready to put it to the test!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
What temp do you reheat the brisket to? 165?
BackwardsInBoots
AG
BF loves brisket. I've got an anova but we don't have any access to a smoker. I'm curious to hear about y'alls results.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Pork butt is currently taking a 20 hour bath at 165 to be smoked tomorrow.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/07/sous-vide-barbecue-pulled-pork-shoulder-recipe.html
gvine07
AG
I'm making sous vide steaks tonight for the 3rd time. The first time they were not cooked enough/warm enough to our liking. Second time we didn't like the texture as much as when I grill. Both times I seared in a pan.

I watched a video from "Sous Vide Everything" on Youtube and have read a few things. Right now the steaks are frozen with rub in vacuum sealed bags.

I'm planning on leaving them in the sous vide for ~3 hours, then adding rub, olive oil, and searing them on my grill.

Do y'all have any suggestions?
BourbonAg
AG
Make sure your grill is hot as you can get it.
htxag09
AG
Curious as to what cuts, temp, and time you're cooking. We just do the standard joule recipe for steaks a couple times a month and they've been perfect every time.
FTAco07
AG
Just got a 900w Annova for Christmas. Does anybody use a torch for browning rather than a grill or cast iron? If so, do you use a butane cream brule torch or a higher powered propane blowtorch?

Can't wait to try this thing out
shimmeringshark
AG
Propane blowtorch from a big box store. Can't imagine a small butane torch will work - not hot enough and too small of a flame.
aggielostinETX
AG
Anyone have any bag recommendations?

The latest ones I have bought seem to be failing at the seal pretty often.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I use a small butane torch and it works pretty good
Sazerac
AG
Get a food saver and the generic bag roll on Amazon?

Just got my first Anova. What is the best resource for cooking times? Can't believe someone hasn't figured out a way to monitor the food temp.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Just google what you want to cook. Plenty of sites have cooking time recommendations.

Did NY Strip on my new Anova tonight. Was phenomenal.
aggielostinETX
AG
cclearman said:

Get a food saver and the generic bag roll on Amazon?

Just got my first Anova. What is the best resource for cooking times? Can't believe someone hasn't figured out a way to monitor the food temp.

Foodsaver I have. Generic bags are what I got last. Guess I am going back to foodsaver bags.
aggielostinETX
AG
You seem a bit confused. You get it there and leave it there. Temp doesn't matter bc it never gets hotter. Start with the Anova app for recipes.
htxag09
AG
I just use ziploc bags the majority of the time.
Van Buren Boy
AG
Deats said:

Anyone have any bag recommendations?

The latest ones I have bought seem to be failing at the seal pretty often.
I've never had an issue with these bags:

https://www.amazon.com/Houseables-Commercial-Plastic-Airtight-Microwave/dp/B00JESPZZ4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545891653&sr=8-3&keywords=houseables+food+saver+bag

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.