Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Sous Vide

103,382 Views | 509 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Mule_lx
tex2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://imgur.com/gallery/jEHN87O

Veal Osso Buco at 176 for 24 hours. The marrow is to the left & was the best part.
gigemJTH12
AG
anyone got a fool proof salmon recipe?
gigemJTH12
AG
curious yalls thoughts on Teal breasts. has anyone tried this??

I would like to cook a whole bag of them and then sear...but I cant find a recipe online anywhere. Only big ducks...which obvioulsy are much bigger breasts.

any thoughts or experience?
Sazerac
AG
Just use the temp recommended for the duck. Probably need an hour. Doesn't hurt to hold it for a couple.
Sazerac
AG
Trying an Anova for the first time tonight. Checked the temp vs a thermopop and it is 20 degrees higher. Is this normal? Online support says they are more accurate than any consumer thermometer but I call BS on a 20 degree difference.

The water feels way hotter than I expected also.
Diggity
AG

Either your thermometer is jacked up, or the Anova is. Have you done a boiled water test on the thermo?
gigemJTH12
AG
I'm about 7 hours into a 36 hour chuck roast. It seems like there is a lot of slack or space forming in my vacuum bag. Is that because the meat is shrinking? It's full of liquid too. I hope that's meat juice and not leaked water.

Any insight?
tex2000
AG
If the water around it isn't turning cloudy or the color of the juice you are good. On all long cooks you are going to have meat shrink & juices form
DTP02
AG
So I got an Anova for Christmas and am not quite sure where to start. I like to cook and am pretty good, but this is a whole new world with new vocabulary and techniques.

Anyone have any good reference sites to both educate myself and start on some basic recipes?
Sazerac
AG
The Anova app has good basic info
Sazerac
AG
Thermo measured 210 on a rolling boil so it's close.

Maybe it was just the initial bring up...I was away during the cook and didn't check it at the end.

Dr. Horrible
gigemJTH12 said:

I'm about 7 hours into a 36 hour chuck roast. It seems like there is a lot of slack or space forming in my vacuum bag. Is that because the meat is shrinking? It's full of liquid too. I hope that's meat juice and not leaked water.

Any insight?
I just got through with my first roast... I hope yours came out better than mine... I might try it again with a lower temp...
gigemJTH12
AG
came here to post the same thing. I went with 138 to get medium so my baby could eat it...flavor was good, and it was average tenderness, but it was dry.

anyone cooked a perfect roast before and have any tips?
Sazerac
AG
I've done four cooks so far and everything has been fantastic. Got me excited about cooking again.

BTW - on my temperature issue it turns out it was the "balls" I was using in the bath. Thy were keeping the temp near the surface WAY hotter than the bottom of container. Maybe too many in a small space? I just don't use them anymore, seems unnecessary even for an all day cook in such a small space.

Diggity
AG
Balls?
Sazerac
AG
https://www.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-Water-Bros-Drying/dp/B013NYKAU4

I think you can use them in place of a lid, not in conjunction.
Diggity
AG
Interesting. Never seen those
Ag_07
AG
I've found when doing a higher temp or an all day cook foil over the container works just fine.
Sazerac
AG
I've got one of the purpose made tubs with the rubber like lid cut out for the Anova.

I guess the balls are if you are using an open type of container? Dunno, they were part of the gift I got so I assumed I was supposed to use them. Glad I check the temps with a separate thermo.
NColoradoAG
I cut a hole in the lid of this cooler with a 2 3/8" hole saw to use on long cooks or for large cuts. I've reheated 4 whole briskets in this thing with no problem. You could definitely use the smaller versions too but I wanted one I could fit several briskets in for work cookouts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BMB8QK/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also got one of these for Christmas and really like it for the counter top. Perfect for cooking on a weeknight for my family of three. Its a solid stock pot to boot.

https://www.amazon.com/Tuxton-Home-THBCZ3-SS9-G-Specialty-Stainless/dp/B008SOUSV0/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1549038155&sr=8-18&keywords=sous%2Bvide%2B8%2Bquart%2Bcontainer%2Bwith%2Blid&th=1
htxag09
AG
I use the balls for any cook over 4 hours or so. Just prevents evaporation. Never have had issues with my water being too hot, though.
Sazerac
AG
have you tested it?

I had a 20 degree delta from surface to bottom....
biobioprof
cclearman said:

have you tested it?

I had a 20 degree delta from surface to bottom....
That's odd given that the device is supposed to be circulating the water. Is the pump working?
Sazerac
AG
They don't have pumps per se, but yes the impeller/propeller is working

I was shocked at the temp difference with the balls.

Without it's been running great.
DTP02
AG
I'm new to the whole Sous vide thing but after getting an Anova for Christmas finally put it to use with some prime NY strips last week and was really happy. Loved the near edge to edge Med rare perfection as much as I thought I would.

For Valentine's Day I'm planning to make my wife one of our favorite recipes from Emeril's NOLA back before they changed to more of a tapas style menu- double cut pork chops with a caramelized onion sauce.

To adapt to cooking Sous vide I am planning to follow this recipe as a base: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/09/sous-vide-double-cut-pork-chops-recipe.html

Any input from those who have done double cut/ thick bone in chops would be appreciated. A couple specific questions:

I've seen differing opinions on seasoning your protein before you put it in the bag. I usually season these chops with a modified version of emeril's essence seasoning. Any concerns about seasoning before I bag and immerse?

The serious eats recommendations are for setting the temp at 135-140 for 45 mins to 4 hours. I like my chops just a tick toward the medium side of Med rare, so I'm thinking I will set at 137. I am also thinking I will go for 2.5-3 hours (schedule permitting) so that it's a little more tender without being overly so. Any thoughts on temp and time?

TIA.
ORAggieFan
I always season before going in sous vide.

Temps/time seem good.
Sazerac
AG
I'm going to grill fajitas tonight so I was thinking if I'm going to marinate then anyways, why not just throw it in the sous vide at the same time? Then sear off.

Anyone tried?

Anova app says 8 hr cook though. I guess for awese tenderness. I'm thinking 2 hours of tenderized meat in a pineapple based marinade should do the trick also.
plarmigan
AG
Funny you mentioned this, the other night I was thinking about trying fajitas (loin flap from costco) for the first time sous vide and was debating doing the Papasito 3-2-1 marinade ahead of time or just putting it all in the bag and marinate/sous vide at the same time.

I use the Joule/Chef Steps app and no idea what the cook time says yet though. Please post the results if you do decide to do this. Really curious how it turns out.
aggielostinETX
AG
cclearman said:

I'm going to grill fajitas tonight so I was thinking if I'm going to marinate then anyways, why not just throw it in the sous vide at the same time? Then sear off.

Anyone tried?

Anova app says 8 hr cook though. I guess for awese tenderness. I'm thinking 2 hours of tenderized meat in a pineapple based marinade should do the trick also.

No but it should help break them down.
I would keep sous vide cooler than normal and sear should be 30 seconds at most.
Sazerac
AG
Well, I've got about 2.5lbs bathing at 131F in a pineapple/worcester/soy /lime, onion/cilantro/jalapeno, cumin/whitepepper bath.
Will let you know how it turns out.
Business Time
AG
Skirt or loin flap is not a good cut for sous vide. Being so thin you run the risk of overcooking them.

Sazerac
AG
Yeah, I know in general. It's so thin that just a quick sear is usually good enough, and if tenderized well you don't mind a little grey.
But since it's sitting in a bag of marinade....why not make it a warm bag?

I actually just turned it down to 128F so I'll have some margin of error when searing.
Bruce Almighty
AG
For the hell of it, I did sous vide fajitas a couple of months ago. I cooked the skirt rare and then finished on a really hot grill for about 30 seconds a side. I was skeptical because it's fajitas and already easy, but it was the best fajitas I've ever made and came out a perfect med rare and really tender. For only five minutes of extra work, I may do this all the time now.
aggielostinETX
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

For the hell of it, I did sous vide fajitas a couple of months ago. I cooked the skirt rare and then finished on a really hot grill for about 30 seconds a side. I was skeptical because it's fajitas and already easy, but it was the best fajitas I've ever made and came out a perfect med rare and really tender. For only five minutes of extra work, I may do this all the time now.

Temps?
Bruce Almighty
AG
I set the sous vide to 125 and cooked for 1 hour.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.