Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Sous Vide

103,409 Views | 509 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Mule_lx
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anova and Nomiku both have second generation circulators in the pipeline that will probably be better and cheaper than the Sansaire.
TX AG 88
AG
Anova's kickstarter is still active, can still get in for one at $159.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/anova/anova-precision-cooker-cook-sous-vide-with-your-ip
bigtruckguy3500
I really want to get one of those Sous Vide devices!

The $200 Anova one is currently $30 off on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Anova-Sous-Vide-Immersion-Circulator/dp/B00GT753W8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412293759&sr=8-1&keywords=anova+sous

It's tempting, but right now I don't think I'd use it enough to justify the cost.
biobioprof
Just heard that the 2nd gen Anova kickstarter is shipping

Which means they've done two in less time its taken Codlo to do one that isn't even a circulator.
DonaldFDraper
AG
I got in for $99 on the Anova. Excited it for it finally be heading my way.
DallasAggie2012
AG
I got in at 129 for the new Anova. Pretty excited to finally get in on the home sous vide game. Chef Steps has some awesome sous vide videos and walkthroughs as well. They just released this chart the other day with a bunch of different cooking times and temperatures for various meats and veggies: Sous Vide Temperature Guide
biobioprof
quote:
I got in at 129 for the new Anova. Pretty excited to finally get in on the home sous vide game. Chef Steps has some awesome sous vide videos and walkthroughs as well. They just released this chart the other day with a bunch of different cooking times and temperatures for various meats and veggies: Sous Vide Temperature Guide
Lots of info online about temps and times. The new Anova also has a lot of that preprogrammed, IIRC. You can program it from your phone. Not sure I will actually use that feature, depending on how it works. Being able to store and replay the things that worked for you before could be nice, though.

I've also been wondering about the optimal way to do make meats at different levels of doneness in the same bath. I'm thinking you could start medium steaks first, lower the temp, add med rare, lower and add rare, and pull them all together. But how long do you need between temp shifts?

Not sure how practical this would be though, unless you know your guests' preferences a few hours ahead of serving.
BSD
AG
quote:

I've also been wondering about the optimal way to do make meats at different levels of doneness in the same bath. I'm thinking you could start medium steaks first, lower the temp, add med rare, lower and add rare, and pull them all together. But how long do you need between temp shifts?

Not sure how practical this would be though, unless you know your guests' preferences a few hours ahead of serving.

That's why I bought two immersion circulators! And of course, I ask ahead.
Hodor
AG
quote:

You can definitely do that. If you want the downward transition to be fast, drop some ice in there.

I've used mine for yogurt by turning it down to 115.

Used it to finish a brisket (long story, but had unexpected change of plans, so I pulled it early, refrigerated it, vac sealed, and finished it the next weekend). Fantastic.

My favorite so far is probably flank steak. 2 days at 134. Seared and topped with chimchuri sauce.
A&M Chopper
AG
My Anova is on the FedEx delivery truck now. Excited to try it out this week.
DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:
My Anova is on the FedEx delivery truck now. Excited to try it out this week.
I got mine on Friday. I haven't cooked with it yet but I fired it up to see how it worked. Really slick.

I feel like I am going to use this thing a lot.
TX AG 88
AG
Mine's on the way too!!!
scoodogg
AG
This thread caused me to jump on the Amazon Anova One lightning deal for $140. I sure do hope I like it.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Just got my Anova yesterday! Really sleek looking device. Feels very sturdy as well. I plan on firing it up on Friday for some coffee butter steaks. Excited to test it out. Love the new adjustable clip design as well.
TX AG 88
AG
Made 4 med-rare ribeyes with mine tonight. Mmmmm

Used an igloo playmate as the vessel and it worked great. I'm not able to find the app that's supposed to let u use your phone to control it, but otherwise everything seems awesome!
DonaldFDraper
AG
What temp did you cook to? How long?

Pics.
TX AG 88
AG
133* F for several hours. Sorry didn't take pics.
A&M Chopper
AG
I did one ribeye at 135 degrees for 4 hours. Just wanted to test things out. Very happy with the results.

Does the bluetooth work for anyone else? I tried to pair it but my phone never recognized it.
DallasAggie2012
AG
I believe they are still putting the final touches on the app at this time. I am going to try a 24 hour roast on Wednesday. Will try to take some pictures of how it comes out.

Any recommendations for Anova use after giving it a first run guys?
TX AG 88
AG
Yeah I think the app is required for Bluetooth pairing... But I can't find the app anywhere...

All I've done sous vide so far is steak. Definitely need to branch out.
Duncan Idaho
Do the 48 hr short ribs.
ILikeTacos
AG
I AM SO EXCITED! Mine just got here this morning! Can't wait to try something out. Guess I will do a steak first and go from there.
biobioprof
Just heard that my Anova is delayed because I ordered white. The black 110V are shipping.

But since I already have a Nomiku and Codlo is actually shipping, I can wait.
A&M Chopper
AG
Pork loin done last night for 4 hours at 138 degrees. Outstanding results. I'm going to be using this thing all the time. I've currently been using cast iron to try and sear it upon completion. Anyone trying the torch method?
HTownAg98
I have, but I get better results with a ripping hot cast iron pan. Be sure to dry the steaks very well and use a high smoke point oil for best results.
A&M Chopper
AG
General FYI for Anova users...I got a low water warning a few seconds after starting mine yesterday. It beeped a couple times and seemed to generally go haywire so I pulled the power and tried again after filling up the cooler with more water. It was dead. Tried a couple other outlets in the kitchen with the same results. Was very bummed until I finally realize it had tripped the GFCI circuit in the kitchen.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Pork loin done last night for 4 hours at 138 degrees. Outstanding results. I'm going to be using this thing all the time. I've currently been using cast iron to try and sear it upon completion. Anyone trying the torch method?

Torch the **** out of steaks....or I just throw them directly on the actual coals.
biobioprof
quote:
General FYI for Anova users...I got a low water warning a few seconds after starting mine yesterday. It beeped a couple times and seemed to generally go haywire so I pulled the power and tried again after filling up the cooler with more water. It was dead. Tried a couple other outlets in the kitchen with the same results. Was very bummed until I finally realize it had tripped the GFCI circuit in the kitchen.
So...is it OK? Or was the low water warning etc a defect?
A&M Chopper
AG
It's ok. Not sure if it was the machine that kicked off the GFCI after the low water warning sounded or my scramble to unplug it from the outlet.
scoodogg
AG
I made my first steaks last night. Cooked some medium rare ny strips and everyone in the house loved them. I'm not saying they were the best steaks I have ever had, but they were the best that I have ever made. I'm not a big fan of ny strips, so I definitely need to try it with a different cut of meat.
ILikeTacos
AG
Ok used the new Anova two nights ago to make my first steaks with the Sous Vide. Did a nice Filet and a Rib eye Just to try multiple things. First time to ever use cast iron as well. Like the poster above this may not have been the best filet I have ever had but it was the best I have ever cooked! So tender, so perfectly done on the inside I was blown away, and so was the wife honestly.

Things to improve on, I need to either invest in a blowtorch to finish off the steaks or I need to jack up the heat a bit on my cast iron. I didn't get the finish as crispy as I think it could have been. The rib eye being a little thinner than the filet ended up with a very small "grey band" on it from finishing it. Now it was a LOT smaller than when I grill them but it still resulted in it being less desirable than the thicker cut.

Overall a resounding win, just need to improve my own technique.

Edit: adding a iPhone pic, sorry for the bad quality

biobioprof
One of the things I've enjoyed with sous vide is doing cheaper, more flavorful cuts as steaks. I've done pieces of chuck roast as medium rare steaks by going overnight, while when I do a ribeye I'll only go for a couple of hours. Supposedly as you leave the meat at sous vide temperatures, cathepsins (and calpains?) tenderize it. Not sure how good the data are for this mechanism but it seems to work.
biobioprof
My Codlo actually arrived yesterday. I had signed up for the Kickstarter way back before the circulators started appearing, and the nature of Kickstarter usually doesn't support canceling for a refund. The Anova has been so successful that I saw that they are actually offering refunds to anyone whose delivery has been delayed. They know they can sell those units.
ILikeTacos
AG
Fun times with more experimentation!

I tried some sous vide poached eggs this weekend over some skillet potatoes.

[url=http://s46.photobucket.com/user/starranchjoker/media/Food/IMG_3133_zps2dd2e300.jpg.html][/url]
DonaldFDraper
AG
Temp and time?

I did two eggs at 167 F for 15 minutes. One came out perfect, the other egg's white did set completely.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.