Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Sous Vide

103,427 Views | 509 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Mule_lx
ILikeTacos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
145 for 45 min. I then drained off the loose white and threw them in boiling water for thirty seconds after taking out of the shell just to set any residual white (I think this was unnecessary but I was trying stuff out)
TX AG 88
AG
Cooked some thick pork chops the other night, with a sliced apple in apple cider and apple cider vinegar topping/sauce. Cooked them med-rare, which is very safe when cooked at 134* for four hours. The chops were tender, but next time I think I'll leave them in for 6-8 hours. I should have salted them a little more heavily, too. So focused on the process, I neglected basic seasoning.

Tonight, I have a top sirloin started out at 140*. I'll lower the temp to 133* tomorrow morning and put another one in (for one med rare and one medium). Looking forward to dinner tomorrow night.
RangerRick9211
AG
Finally had a chance to take the Anova for a spin.

Last nights rib-eye:

2 hrs. @ 135 deg. F

And today's lunch:

Fries packaged w/ brine for 30 min. @ 195 def. F. - fried @ 200 deg. F, frozen for 2 hrs. and fried again at 285 deg. F.
Burger was 1.5 hrs. @ 137 deg. F.

Burger and steak were seared post bath w/ TS7000 torch.
ILikeTacos
AG
Steak looks great! Sounds like too much work for fries.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Dang that burger looks delicious!! Are those the chef steps fries? How did they turn out?
RangerRick9211
AG
Yes, they were the chef steps recipe. Came out great. But like 07 said above, too much work for fries. I just wanted to try as many things as I could sous vide.

Prepared a rib-eye and NY strip last night for some friends. It was a good opportunity to test a work-flow on doneness as one chick was adamant on a medium+ steak. Pulled the rib-eye at 1 hr. and 45 min. and upped the bath to from 135 to 145 deg. F. After I basted, seared and plated the rib-eye I pulled the strip - roughly 10 min. Bath barely reached temp by the time I pulled it and ended up finishing her slices in the oven. Thoughts?

And sous vide is perfect for fat burger patties. However, the patties go in at a uniform thickness and I pack via water displacement. But as you can see, they're wedge shaped and compressed on the edges. Not sure why.
TX AG 88
AG
quote:
Prepared a rib-eye and NY strip last night for some friends. It was a good opportunity to test a work-flow on doneness as one chick was adamant on a medium+ steak. Pulled the rib-eye at 1 hr. and 45 min. and upped the bath to from 135 to 145 deg. F. After I basted, seared and plated the rib-eye I pulled the strip - roughly 10 min. Bath barely reached temp by the time I pulled it and ended up finishing her slices in the oven. Thoughts?

The way to cook steaks to different levels of done-ness is to do the more well-done ones first. Put the chick's steak in at 145* or whatever temp for about 45 minutes. Then add a little cold water or ice and the rest of your steaks at 135* or so. When they're done, the chick's steak will still be warm and can be finished right next to the others.

I did steaks this way for a get-together at my house. Had ONE guy that wanted a well-done steak (ugh), several mediums, and the rest med-rare. Did the shoe leather first, then the mediums, etc. All came out at the same time and got seared on my gas grill with different colored toothpicks to indicate which was which.

Also, I typed up a long update on my overnight top sirloins, but somehow it got lost.

short version, the steaks were tender, but dark in color (dark and light brown/tan instead of bright red/pink) and kind of had a "reheated steak" taste to them. Mine (the all-day but not overnight one) was better. I'll limit my steak cooking time to ~6 hours going forward.
RangerRick9211
AG
Brilliant. Thanks!
NoneGiven
AG
http://polyscienceculinary.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/venisonsquid-icc-20111.pdf
For the hunters out there, that venison heart recipe is a winner!
TwoTimeAg
AG
Anyone know when Anova is releasing their app for the iPhone?
biobioprof
quote:
Anyone know when Anova is releasing their app for the iPhone?
Looking on their website, I found a forum post that said they had missed their last target of submitting it by Dec 15. No mention of when it would actually be done.
HTownAg98
I did pork chops Sunday. The marinade consisted of molasses, coffee, ginger, garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme. Removed the chops from the marinade, patted them dry, and vacuum packed them. Water bathed them at 145dF for 1.5 hours. Drained the juices into th marinade, and reduced that down, and broiled the chops. Turned out well, though next time I'll cook them to about 135 so I can broil them and get a good sear.
Hodor
AG
Why not cool them off and then sear, so they don't overshoot? That way you can still get them to 145, assuming that's the doneness you want. I've done that on flank steaks a few times, and it works well. If they're thick, and you're worried they'll be cold in the center, maybe drop the temp to 135 for a while before searing?

Marinade sounds interesting, btw. Was there a liquid base to it, or was it just left pretty thick?
HTownAg98
I didn't want them to be cold in the middle when they were done searing. The marinade was a liquid because of the coffee.
Hodor
AG
I was thinking ground coffee. I've seen dry rub recipes that use it, but haven't tried it due to not wanting to eat coffee grounds.
terradactylexpress
Anyone interested in purchasing an older model anova(touch screen version)? Just got the new one in the mail today and don't really need two circulators
DallasAggie2012
AG
I have a brother in law looking that might be interested. I know he's looking at the newer model but he may be interested in the earlier version of the Anova.

If you'll PM some of the details, like how much it's been used and price, I will relay it onto him and see if he is interested.
ILikeTacos
AG
Another update from Anova, the app is another few weeks out.
HTownAg98
I made the chefsteps creme brule tonight. You pour the custard into jars, and cook it in a water bath. Pretty easy, they aren't over cooked, and since they are sealed, they've got a shelf life of at least a week.
TX AG 88
AG
made some steaks today for Xmas (had turkey last week)

bought a whole Choice tenderloin yesterday and sliced it today. Buying a whole one is good on a price/pound basis but at the thin end you get some funny looking "steaks."

Anyway, they came out great. Made some medium steaks for my parent-in-laws at 141* and then lowered the temp to 133* as I put the rest (med-rare) in. Finished/seared them on the gas grill. My wife took a med one, and took the smallest one... it was more done than she would have liked.

She would have been fine with a med-rare steak left on the grill a bit longer, OR what I should have done is barely seared one of the Medium steaks for her.

The point of this post (on this thread) is that you CAN cook steaks to different levels of doneness with a sous vide setup. Typically, you will grill (or somehow) your steak to sear it. So, even if your guests want 4 different levels of doneness, you can do two groups in the sous vide, then adjust them with the grill times. Just gotta plan it right.

Someone asked here or elsewhere if food could be done at different levels, or how to do it.

The thing to do is cook the well done steaks (if you have any... yuk) first. Then turn the temp down and do the med well done steaks. Then turn the temp down and do the med. Then the med rare. The more done steaks can stay in the bath for HOURS, and all they're doing is staying warm. If you are in a rush, or "advanced" you can do less "cycles" and make the differences on the grill. e.g. you could cook 4 steaks med and 4 rare... then when you sear them on the grill, do 2 of the med ones longer (1 to med-well and 1 to well done) and you can just barely sear one of the rare to leave it rare and then let the other three go a little longer to get to med-rare, with really good grill marks!

I know this can be done straight on the grill, but since the steaks are mostly done before you get them to the grill, the margin for error is reduced. AND the steaks are typically more tender since they sat at temp for a while and the proteins/fibers broke down.

Like some have said, I've had (very very few) better steaks, but I've never MADE better steaks...
biobioprof
wondering how many got sous vide toys from Santa this year
tamu2009
AG
I got an Anova from the parentals and can't wait to use it!
aggiesherpa
AG
Here is an article on the Anova from the Consumer Electronic Show today in Vegas.

Link
ILikeTacos
AG
I see in that article they are using the timer function... that would be nice if mine did that... or had the app that was promised...
RangerRick9211
AG
I prepared a cowboy steak last weekend:

Tried a new finishing method combining cast iron and torch. I infused Plugra butter, high fat content butter ideal for searing, w/ thyme and rosemary in a separate bag to bathe w/ the steak. Then one minute per side in the butter sear on the cast iron, rotate and torch the butter side. Repeat for the opposite.
BlueMiles
AG
Looks great. I need to retrieve my cast iron from grandpa's house.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Looks great man! Cast Iron is my preferred method of finish as well since I don't have a torch to pair with it. Making me hungry for some steak again though.
bigtruckguy3500
quote:
Anyone interested in purchasing an older model anova(touch screen version)? Just got the new one in the mail today and don't really need two circulators
Do you still have this. If so, I'm interested.
terradactylexpress
Sorry I forgot about this. I have the original anova (used a few times) and a new in box updated model. I only need one of them so I would like to offload the other (don't care which one). Which one are you interested in, I'm in the Houston area but can ship if it need be
bigtruckguy3500
I'm assuming the older Anova would be cheaper? How much would you like for it? And is it still under warranty? Next time I'll be in Houston will be in mid March.
scoodogg
AG
Made some beef tenderloin last night. Was pretty damn good.

terradactylexpress
So looking at the anova website, the older model lists for 199 and the new one 179. I'll give you the choice of either for 170. Both models were purchased on Dec 3rd, the anova one (older model) was from amazon so it came 2 days later while I didn't get the newer version until late Dec
bigtruckguy3500
quote:
So looking at the anova website, the older model lists for 199 and the new one 179. I'll give you the choice of either for 170. Both models were purchased on Dec 3rd, the anova one (older model) was from amazon so it came 2 days later while I didn't get the newer version until late Dec
I think I'll have to hold off for now. Thanks though
bthotugigem05
AG
Got back into it tonight, combined a sous-vided New York Strip with my good camera and some creative lighting.

Duncan Idaho
Now that looks great.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.