Ongoing Master Bedroom/Bathroom Remodel Thread

43,035 Views | 297 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Fife
The Fife
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dubi said:

The Fife said:

IT'S RAINING SIDEWAYS!
This post is useless without video!

I should have said it's misting sideways. We're at 0.1" of rain, winds ESE under 10mph.

Edit: also not sure how to post video anyway
aezmvp
The Fife said:

dubi said:

The Fife said:

IT'S RAINING SIDEWAYS!
This post is useless without video!

I should have said it's misting sideways. We're at 0.1" of rain, winds ESE under 10mph.

dubi
AG
Quote:

I upload them to my Youtube account and post them from there.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Now might be a good time to leave doors open and windows cracked on a certain house....

Maybe the winds knock it over completely....

~egon
The Fife
Dr. Doctor said:

Now might be a good time to leave doors open and windows cracked on a certain house....

~egon
That house sold on Tuesday, a few hours before the initial evacuation announcement. It is officially someone else's problem.

If I put the videos on FB no one will be able to see them since mine is locked down. Will have to try youtube if I get anything worthwhile. The eye may come through here but I doubt the will be a calm in the middle even if it does.
The Fife
Dr. Doctor said:

~egon
Shocking update on that certain house - it's still standing!!! I drove by after checking up on a friend's place a couple blocks over this evening and couldn't believe it. We had winds here (as in, not in the middle of the harbor on an island like Ft Sumter) gusting to the low 70s today yet somehow it's still up.

FWIW we lost about 60-70' worth of fence but it was old and not well built so it was getting replaced this winter anyway. That's already been hauled to the street and stacked. I like the newly expanded back yard but doubt the lady behind us would let us annex anything. Also a neighbor's cedar came down on top of a couple of her shrubs and ended up in our yard but it's nothing I can't take care of in about an hour tomorrow. We didn't lose power until the back side of the storm hit and then it was only for about 9 hours. Everything is normal here except for the empty Yuengling bottles everywhere and my bike in the family room next to the couch.

Reports of chaos and flooding here are greatly exaggerated. Some parts of downtown did take on water, but they do that anyway because they're so low. The wind after the center passed ended up blowing a lot of the surge back out to the ocean. Elsewhere around CHS it's just some ponding. NC is getting hit with a lot more rain, they'll probably have a lot more problems than anyone else.
slappy
AG
Yuengling

Good to hear y'all made it relatively unscathed.
AggieFactor
AG
What temp/color are all your lights at? About to start my own master closet redo, as well as update the electrical in the master bedroom, and trying to decide how cool I want the light. Yours does not appear too yellow or blue.
The Fife
I use 2700K to 3000K LEDs as much as possible, it's a very close approximation to incandescent lighting.
Guitarsoup
AG
I go the other way. Much prefer the daylight color of 5000-6000 Kelvin. I feel like it gives the room a more open feel.
The Fife
FWIW I think it depends a lot on the colors used in the room. When we played around with lighting and the color scheme with some spare bulbs I have the marble and gray floor tile looked a bit harsh with bright white. On the other hand if we had more tans / browns we would have probably bumped it up some because warm white would have probably brought out too much yellow.

The actual colors of the room probably look ok because the CRI for all lights used is above 90. That's as big a factor as anything else.
The Fife
Here's where things are right now. Drywall in the shower area is complete and Kerdi starts going up this afternoon. If I'm lucky flooring will start tomorrow and stone on the walls the day after. I'm going to start in the towel bar area and then carry over to the shower so the bottom row in the shower will not be a full piece.

Lighting is also done. I plan on hiding the wires behind where the mirrors are going. Not sure if I'm 100% satisfied with everything but it can be changed later if needed. If anything I might add a recessed light near the doorway to the water closet.

Dr. Doctor
AG
Looking good.

Most of my lights have been the 4 to 5K due to having builder beige everywhere. If you have the 2700K, your walls start looking super yellow.

Painting the rooms and moving to a whiter light makes the place look much better.

~egon
The Fife
The more I screw around with lighting while working on waterproofing the shower, the more I realize I really don't like what's in the vanity area right now. Without turning on lights from the closet and WC the room isn't bright enough. It is't very good at general illumination and looks too yellow so I think we're going to remove the middle one and put the remaining two on their own switch (think: makeup lighting). The recessed stuff in the ceiling is easy enough to bump up to 3,000K since they fit in standard cans.

I'm thinking about adding three 4" recessed lights, two of them 18" from the shower niche wall, far right wall and exterior wall. The third being spaced at the midpoint of the previous two, but 18" from the wall behind someone standing at the vanity.

Any thoughts, or maybe there's something that I'm missing here?
The Fife
Not to bump my own thread, but after thinking about it overnight I'm very tempted to do this sort of thing instead of recessed lights as the previous post mentioned. This should throw out the same level of brightness that we currently have, but be less directional which should help out a lot with glare and improving the overall light level in the room. I'm thinking clear glass because the ceiling is only 8' in here.

The Fife
This weekend I got a lot done. The last of the materials we need are finally on order, waterproofing in the shower is done except for a few seams that need KERDI-BAND and stone is starting to go up outside the shower. That part has been going pretty quickly, except for measuring a dozen times to make sure I don't lose the location where the towel is installed. Now that the holes are covered up I need to drill through the tile so I can reinstall it. The largest wall tile I've used is 12x12 and 12x24 with zero spacing is a bit more of a challenge.

This afternoon I'm doing the electrical rework that I mentioned earlier, removing one of the LED strip lights, moving the left one closer to the end of the vanity and running the wiring for three overhead lights that should solve all of our general lighting problems. Not quite sure how I'm going to keep tiling as I move to the left, the stuff weighs about 10lbper piece so it'll sag pretty badly if I can't figure something out.

Going up...

At the end of the day
dubi
TxAG-010
AG
How was the install of the KERDI system? I'm thinking of tackling this job myself in our guest bath.
The Fife
TxAG-010 said:

How was the install of the KERDI system? I'm thinking of tackling this job myself in our guest bath.
Not bad at all, however I'm a little worried I didn't leave enough space between the linear drain and the wall. We'll see in a few days.

The actual Kerdi goes on pretty easily. Pieces either need to overlap by 2" or have the seam covered by Kerdi-band. I wrapped pieces horizontally, the longest one being 9' in length. To get holes cut correctly for all the plumbing valves and everything I held it in place with a few thumbtacks and cut the holes. Then I went back and applied thinset to the wall and put the Kerdi on. Last time I built a shower I cut pieces vertically, but had problems with the corner building up a little too thick between the Kerdi and Kerdi-line. This time hopefully the corners are sharp enough.

edit: I also used a rolling pin to help even the thinset between the Kerdi and wall out. You shouldn't really try and squeeze all of it out, but I made it a lot flatter than it was last time I did this so hopefully that will make life a little easier.
The Fife
Things are coming along pretty well with the stonework. This evening I should be able to finish the vanity area and move on to the wall between the bathroom and closet. That will require trimming out the doorway though, and I'm out of wood for that. The new lighting is also supposed to arrive sometime today but I doubt I'll be able to get that in until later.

Looking forward to all of the boxes of tile that are lying around everywhere to start going away, and also ordering the mirror for the vanity once I get the backsplash tile finished.

The Fife
I was busy this weekend putting up even more tile. By square footage it's still under halfway done but the front and right side of the bathroom are the hardest because there are hardly any whole pieces to go in. Also the new lights are in and I like them a lot better than what was there before. The lights have globes, they just aren't installed yet. I threw in some 40W equivalent CFLs just to get an idea of the color and brightness that we'll need. If anyone knows of some 60W equivalent LEDs that are 3000K and are clear (not milky white) I'd appreciate the source. Especially if they're dimmable like the CREE LEDs we have on the same switch in the ceiling.

The stonework is coming along about the speed I thought it would. Lots of walking around between the bathroom and wet saw in the back yard. The worst pieces have been the ones with holes for outlets and light switches, and the pieces with 45 degree cuts at the far left where I need to have it wrap around the narrow wall with the shower. Due to size I can only cut these from the back side so the front tends to chip out a little, but it's nothing that can't be taken care of when it's time to grout. To control lippage I've been using a huge suction cup to push/pull when needed. For the one or two pieces that had a corner chip along a vein I've repaired it from the back side with foil tape and then installed the tile like normal (superglue works too). Repairs are completely invisible. So far, so good.

Not very visible in the first picture, but there's a Schluter-Schiene edge at the far right at the end of the tile run. The hamper will run right up until this point, and it gives the carpenter a bit of wiggle room for installation since if adjustments are needed it will reveal more metal instead of untreated stone. They're available at your nearest friendly big box store and don't cost much.

AggieFactor
AG
Looking great Fife!! As far as clear LED bulbs, your best bet is to look for VINTAGE LED's. I don't know if it gets you the style you want but here is an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Filament-Equivalent-Omnidirectional-UL-Listed/dp/B01EM8RUJ4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1477316316&sr=8-7&keywords=vintage%2Bled%2Bbulb&th=1

Also, are you going to be using any type of molding at the ceiling/tile transition?
The Fife
AggieFactor said:

Looking great Fife!! As far as clear LED bulbs, your best bet is to look for VINTAGE LED's. I don't know if it gets you the style you want but here is an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Filament-Equivalent-Omnidirectional-UL-Listed/dp/B01EM8RUJ4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1477316316&sr=8-7&keywords=vintage%2Bled%2Bbulb&th=1

Also, are you going to be using any type of molding at the ceiling/tile transition?
Hmm... very strong candidates with the bulbs, I didn't expect to see them available at 3000K and that brightness but that does look like what we need.

No molding will be used - it will be some combination of grout and caulk the same as transitions with door casing will be. Taking large profile tile to the ceiling is a challenge because you find out every little flaw in the framing. The spot in the top/right corner of the first picture is from me not being finished with the ceiling drywall btw. That's an area that needs drywall mud.
The Fife
This weekend I mostly worked on the tile, but also prepared the ceiling for paint and trimmed out the window by the tub. There were a few nasty pieces to cut but nothing too bad. Once it's grouted and sealed I can start putting in the last of the plumbing fixtures and it will start to look like an actual shower. Not visible, but I also tiled the niche areas (niche shelf level calibrated with Mrs. Fife's giant shampoo bottle) so the small wall where the tile wraps around can be finished up.

People are coming by to measure for the vanity mirror today and the subject of shower glass will come up while they're here, and after work I should be able to finish tiling the wall with the big window. I'm about tired of setting up and taking the wet saw down almost every day and am looking forward to doing something else for a while.
dubi
AG
Oh my, I went back to page 1 and realize it has been almost a full year.

I hope you are done soon and just sit back and enjoy your baby.
The Fife
dubi said:

Oh my, I went back to page 1 and realize it has been almost a full year.

I hope you are done soon and just sit back and enjoy your baby.
On my end, once tile is done for the most part that's it. Leftovers include...
  • connect shower and tub drain under the house
  • Hook plumbing up after countertop is in
  • Tile half bath after countertop is in
  • Seal, grout tile
  • Attach shower hardware
  • Stain floor grout
  • Paint trim in all areas
  • Paint bathroom ceiling
  • Paint server closet
  • Server closet shelving
  • Install doorknobs
  • Call someone for shower glass, they install it
  • Someone else builds and installs hamper
  • Light switches, faceplates

None of these things on their own take up more than a full evening after work except for figuring out the server closet shelving. It's 32" wide so I may have to get creative.

I am already deep in the design phase for the next phase of the house. It involves a tankless water heater but we draw the line there. No garage apartments. In a nutshell it's a rebuild of the original 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. No floorplan changes besides undoing changes made to one bedroom and closet and no relocating plumbing or utilities. The hard part has been figuring out how to make the two bathrooms look period correct.
The Fife
The tile is in now except for one small wall and some odds and ends. The piece around the top half of the niche was one of the hardest ones I've cut before. It's under 2" wide and I got lucky there weren't any veins for it to fracture along. The chips along the corner will clean up when I grout everything.

The Fife
The area around the bathroom entry door and around the bathtub is what I'm going to try and finish up this weekend. To finish the hole to the plumbing for the tub I'm making a removable access door from plywood and drywall that will be tiled, held in place with magnets. This may mostly be a Sunday thing because I'm occupied most of today with work and Christmas pictures.

It's late to the project but I discovered that casing goes up a lot faster if I tack it together at the corners first and install as one piece. For some reason the glass people want the area above the vanity to be tiled so I'm going to use the samples from tile we didn't go with and scraps there.

The Fife
I'm finally done putting up tile in the bathroom. At the far right of the bathtub is an access hole for the plumbing underneath. To build it I cut a piece of plywood and attached it to the framing with cabinet magnets, then drywalled and tiled it. To remove, just grab a couple of suction cups and carefully pull it off.

This afternoon people are back to measure for the countertops and tub deck, and on Thursday the mirror will go in. The glass people wanted the wall behind the mirror to be completely tiled and I didn't want to waste marble there, so I used up all of the tile samples and a few scraps of marble since I was going to throw those out anyway.

Next up is grouting and sealing all of the walls, connecting the plumbing underneath the house, and painting the ceiling and trim. I'm also about at the point where I can kick out all sorts of tools from here and neaten up the place.

Coming up this weekend will be a bunch of work on the server closet because I finally have all of the storage figured out.

sts7049
AG
i know you'll never see those samples under the mirror, but man after all this hard work you put it won't it drive you crazy knowing those are hiding there behind the mirror? i don't think my OCD could handle that
The Fife
sts7049 said:

i know you'll never see those samples under the mirror, but man after all this hard work you put it won't it drive you crazy knowing those are hiding there behind the mirror? i don't think my OCD could handle that
Normally, but I was thinking about how I might want to tile the water closet like the rest of the bathroom someday and it's about a box less that I would have to order to do it.

The punch list is slowly shrinking. The ceiling is painted, all the tile grouted except for the shower floor, some of the floor grout stained, and today I'm sealing it and reinstalling the towel bar, putting in the actual switches we're going to use and faceplates on, then hopefully attaching all of the shower hardware.

This weekend I really want to get the media closet finished - yesterday I realized just how much clutter can go away after that's done since everything that was in the old closet is still scattered all around. There are probably 5-7 paper boxes full of CDs and DVDs, plus all the games occupying half the space in the pantry. The HD shelves should be pretty easy to put together, I'm really pumped up about it.
txag2008
AG
Looking good fife, you're definitely in the homestretch.

Out of curiosity, why are you needing to stain your floor grout? What product are you using?
The Fife
txag2008 said:

Looking good fife, you're definitely in the homestretch.

Out of curiosity, why are you needing to stain your floor grout? What product are you using?
I need to stain the grout on the floor because we did a bad job of choosing a color. We wanted it to closely match the tile, basically to look like it wasn't there. Instead we ended up with something too light.

I'm using Polyblend Grout Renew to fix it, basically painting over all the grout lines with a small paintbrush. It takes a long time but goes a little faster if I mask the tile with tape so I don't have to be careful. In the first picture of the last post you can see the difference near the doors. If it doesn't last as long as I'd like it to I guess I'll have to look into regrouting, but at least we know what color to use next time.
The Fife
This weekend I ended up doing small things in the bathroom because the shower volume control knob instruction sheet, which has zero words anywhere, left off a very important detail about the orientation of one of the parts before you trim it and I had to order a replacement for it. Also it requires a 12MM allen wrench for the other pieces and I'll pick one of those up at HF on my way home from work tomorrow.

On the plus side, the heated floor is awesome, especially when it's 49 and raining outside!

We figured out all the shelves and racks that we need for the media closet and I picked up all that I could from HD yesterday. They don't carry enough of the shelves we need in stock so I have under 1/3 of what we need. We're going to have 10 shelves at 10 inches high each, counting the floor. This gives enough space to house about 1,150 DVD sized objects. I think that'll do, because there are just a few things to put in there.

dubi

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.