Ongoing Master Bedroom/Bathroom Remodel Thread

42,760 Views | 297 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Fife
TxAG-010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No need to bash his taste in modern design (which is great btw). Not everyone has to have the same 1980's 'gooseneck' faucet in their bathroom! There is a reason Hansgrohe and Dorn Bracht cost more than the Home Depot special, they will last your entire life and then some, while the other will be replaced five times.

Something about "If you can't say anything nice....

Good work Fife!
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
I don't believe Fife has his panties in a wad and nor did Olag so just, ya know, chill! I'm very proud of him.
The Fife
Shots fired!

I'm still holding out that I'll hear back from the build.com rep I've worked with but understand that today is the last work day before Christmas and that she's very likely not to be in. Their official return window is 60 days, but perhaps they would consider this to be more of a swap. That's the reason I worked with one of their people on the last two projects instead of being anonymous and clicking 'submit order' ... well, that and the fact that they knock another 5-10% off if you ask what the best they can do is.

Otherwise the manager over there seems to have calibrated the sales person and they are all of a sudden receptive to 2cm so it won't end in some kind of horrible stalemate.

And yeah, one of the reasons I went with Grohe / Hansgrohe / Dornbracht is the longevity of the actual items. The chrome finish just holds up on these - in 2 years we haven't managed to put a single scratch anywhere on the sink hardware, and there are no signs of pitting. The only plastic bit is the little geared piece that knobs grab on to (better than metal IMO because it can corrode here). From a tactile perspective they're much heavier or solid than most, like how an old car door closes. And of course aesthetics, the more readily available brands look like 'modern lite' to me which wouldn't work anyway.
The Fife
Still waiting to hear back from build.com, and plan on calling the rep I worked with today.

The countertop in the half bath is in now though, so I can start tiling in there. I'll probably get to that tomorrow or Thursday after work. The wall behind the sink will have mosaic tile for 1' above the countertop, then a mirror running the width of the room for about 2.5', then more mosaic to the ceiling. Side walls and the space under the countertop will be large white subway tile. The knobs were fun to install because the plumbing wants to occupy the same space the framework goes in.

Also slowing me down is finishing putting the back yard fence together. At this point I have about 270 more pickets to put up. The shower glass will get here in less than 2 weeks along with the mirror for this room. Once that's done all that's left is the hamper sometime within the next month or so.

Complaint Investigator
AG
Fife - can you haggle with Build.com? They have some hardware I want for the kitchen in a new spec home I bought, but when I chatted online the best they could do on $715 and change was $25 off. I can't find any other coupons that will work either.
The Fife
Complaint Investigator said:

Fife - can you haggle with Build.com? They have some hardware I want for the kitchen in a new spec home I bought, but when I chatted online the best they could do on $715 and change was $25 off. I can't find any other coupons that will work either.
They're pretty good about price matching if you can find it somewhere for less. I didn't chat, there was some 'ask a question' type link and I asked if they could go anywhere lower and left my phone number in the contact box and that's when someone called me back.
The Fife
I spent 20 hours of tiling this weekend and all the subway stuff is up. Using a wet saw is extra fun when it's below freezing outside and ice keeps building up on the deck and table. That's the deck that I walk around on, and the table for the wet saw which the tile will now slide around on.

I could have probably plumbed the 1/4 turn valves but really don't like shutting off water to the house when there's 30 minutes or less worth of daylight left in case something goes sideways. Today I'll plumb it, finish the mosaic, and maybe do some grouting.

There will also be a fun call to management at the countertop place to discuss why they are trying to charge me for a re-measurement they requested, and why when I pointed out on the invoice that I was getting 2cm instead of 3, they just changed the number and the price remained the same. This follows the sales idiot reneging on her earlier promise of redoing the countertop and trying to double charge for it and add a removal fee for getting rid of their original defective work.

Aggietaco
AG
Those cuts around the toilet look like fun.
The Fife
They were pretty awful, the freezing weather didn't help any either. The toilet actually comes with a gasket to put between that and the wall if you were to have tiled first (which I really wanted to do). After grout and caulk the seam should clean up better.

The countertop mess is straightened out. It's amazing what you can get done when you talk to a manager and they're someone who actually has a clue.
The Fife
Long term bumpity. The hamper is FINALLY getting installed today, I gave Mrs Fife their number a while ago and told her she gets to bug them directly instead of asking me. There was some kind of drama on the cabinet builder's side of things and I think the guy in charge of that type of work was fired but it'll get here later today, so before/after pics to come if we're lucky.

I can't imagine if we also went with them for the vanity... Mrs Fife probably would have done something that would require me bailing her out.
Gary79Ag
AG
The Fife said:

Long term bumpity. The hamper is FINALLY getting installed today, I gave Mrs Fife their number a while ago and told her she gets to bug them directly instead of asking me. There was some kind of drama on the cabinet builder's side of things and I think the guy in charge of that type of work was fired but it'll get here later today, so before/after pics to come if we're lucky.

I can't imagine if we also went with them for the vanity... Mrs Fife probably would have done something that would require me bailing her out.
Mrs Fife sounds just like Mrs B...
The Fife
We have hamper! I need to order and install the pulls, clean up and the project is done.

The Fife
Dp
BackwardsInBoots
AG
That is a lot bigger than I expected
The Fife
BackwardsInBoots said:

That is a lot bigger than I expected
It's cool, that isn't the first time I've heard this.
toolshed
AG
Another you may have heard, what's that hole for?
notheranymore
Well done!
The Fife
Project's done - all the last minute items are finally closed out and before / after pics will show up as soon as we can get the place cleaned up.

The longest two were redoing the tub access hatch since it was knocked down and one of the tiles broke, and making the attic access hole in the ceiling look decent. Since this project is finished maybe the other one will start to move at a bit more than glacial speed.
The Fife
Tying this thread to the official end of the project for anyone who searches and finds it later...

https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/2851290

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.