***Official 2021-2022 San Antonio Spurs Season Thread***

88,035 Views | 1335 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MookieBlaylock
West Texan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LawHall88
AG
Ag Natural
AG
Spurs are 18-30 and have a 0.0 Net Rating. That is absurd. 7 or 8 teams with better records have worse net ratings.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Sounds like a made up stat

jteagle
AG
Ag Natural said:

Spurs are 18-30 and have a 0.0 Net Rating. That is absurd. 7 or 8 teams with better records have worse net ratings.
I don't know much about net ratings but they are dead even on point differential so far this year. 110.9 ppg for them and their opponents. That is better than 14 teams in the league including the Lakers.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Spurs have been pretty competitive. Haven't been as many blowouts as I would have thought that's for sure. Would love for us to lose some more games though. Would be nice to be in the bottom 7.
Ag Natural
AG
jteagle said:

Ag Natural said:

I don't know much about net ratings but they are dead even on point differential so far this year. 110.9 ppg for them and their opponents. That is better than 14 teams in the league including the Lakers.
I think Net Rating is essentially point differential adjusted for pace. i.e. pts per 100 possessions

In the Spurs case the Offensive Net Rating (pts scored per 100) is equal to their Defensive Net Rating (pts allowed per 100).
Oyster DuPree
AG
Memphis Jizzlies
Ag Natural
AG
Did they change the rules? Morant has gotten multiple foul calls by lunging into a defender. I thought they got rid of that.
Sports-Ag
AG
At least 3 straight drives Morant threw himself in the paint on one of the spurs player and ref blew the whistle and bailed him out.

And every opposing star player scoring high against the spurs lately.
Ag Natural
AG
Memphis did it right tanking for a couple of years and landing Morant and Jackson. I think the Spurs are equal to the Grizz in every other aspect.

What they are missing is a Morant. Maybe this team can lose enough to get a high pick. We'll see.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Per bleacher report (barf), the Hawks have placed a call into the Spurs for DW.
Pendragon12
AG
The question is for what. I actually am not one that thinks we NEED to move one of DW and DJ, but if the offer is a good one and we can get something back that we need, I think we need to pull the trigger.

Which pains me to say because I am generally a huge DW fan despite my frustrations with some of his play earlier this season.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I'm of this opinion too. If we can get a player of a position we need AND we expect a lot from Primo, I think DW is expendable. We have a great defensive backcourt, but their impact isn't big enough to make us a good defensive team. At least as constructed.
Guitarsoup
AG
Hawks are trying to move John Collins for a starter+1st.

Would dump Derrick White, Lonnie, and a first for Collins. Even better, see if you can get a third team to take Young for a first to send them.

PG: Dejounte - Tre
SG: Vassell - Primo
SF: Keldon - Vassell - Wieskamp?
PF: Collins - Dougie
C: Jakob - Jock

Will need to upgrade back up PG and SF, but that is the start of a good, young team.

Hawks get an upgrade at a playmaker when Trae is off the court and White is a huge defensive upgrade over Bogdan.

Hawks:
PG: Trae - White
SG: White - Heurter - Lonnie
SF: Bogdan - Heurter - Lonnie
PF: Hunter - Danilo
C: Capela - OKongwu

Hawks also save a ton of money. ~4mm this year, 7.5mm next year if they let Lonnie walk. They have a huge luxury tax problem next year, and this deal could save them from that with Trae's contract going up.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Wiggins is a freaking Allstar STARTER. That really hurts DJ's chances a lot as they were most's consensus final spot candidates. Exhibit one billion why the all star selections are a joke.
jteagle
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Wiggins is a freaking Allstar STARTER. That really hurts DJ's chances a lot as they were most's consensus final spot candidates. Exhibit one billion why the all star selections are a joke.
Yeah Wiggins is a joke but everything else was pretty much spot on. You could argue that Booker should be a starter but Ja Morant is a superstar too. I'm not a big Trae Young fan but he is 5th in the league in scoring and 3rd in assists.

On another note, the starting front court for the East is Embiid, Durant and Giannis. Could you imagine that starting front court in a real game? Dayum!
jteagle
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Hawks are trying to move John Collins for a starter+1st.

Would dump Derrick White, Lonnie, and a first for Collins. Even better, see if you can get a third team to take Young for a first to send them.

PG: Dejounte - Tre
SG: Vassell - Primo
SF: Keldon - Vassell - Wieskamp?
PF: Collins - Dougie
C: Jakob - Jock

Will need to upgrade back up PG and SF, but that is the start of a good, young team.

Hawks get an upgrade at a playmaker when Trae is off the court and White is a huge defensive upgrade over Bogdan.

Hawks:
PG: Trae - White
SG: White - Heurter - Lonnie
SF: Bogdan - Heurter - Lonnie
PF: Hunter - Danilo
C: Capela - OKongwu

Hawks also save a ton of money. ~4mm this year, 7.5mm next year if they let Lonnie walk. They have a huge luxury tax problem next year, and this deal could save them from that with Trae's contract going up.
I'm in favor of this.
Zach Collins can backup PF and the McDermott can backup Keldon.
Pendragon12
AG
Would do this for sure. I think they key is we can't let go of our first round pick this year. So if we could move Thad to a third team for a first, that would be ideal.

I think the Spurs are somewhat in control here. We have some assets, not GREAT ones, but good ones. We clearly aren't shooting for the playoffs this year. And we honestly don't need to move anyway, because if we hold pat, we still have some good young players and good players in their primes, and we will be adding a (likely) low lottery pick this year.
jteagle
AG
Also, whether we trade Derrick or not, I would really like to see Devin take his place in the lineup. He is becoming a better scorer, he is good on defense and has more length. I've always thought Derrick was better when he was coming off the bench.

I just think Devin has alot more upside and can become a real contributor.
Pendragon12
AG
jteagle said:

Also, whether we trade Derrick or not, I would really like to see Devin take his place in the lineup. He is becoming a better scorer, he is good on defense and has more length. I've always thought Derrick was better when he was coming off the bench.

I just think Devin has alot more upside and can become a real contributor.
Theoretically, yes DW is better coming off the bench because he's better with the ball in his hands and DJ plays better with the starters. When the Spurs tried that...last season? The one prior? DW's confidence took a major hit and he was somehow way worse. Which is why I'm okay moving him for the right value. Devin should be starting...he's a perfect complimentary 2 guard with Dejounte. Can play off ball, cuts, can create for himself if need be, long, good defensive instincts, etc.

So I think if we keep Derrick, then he'll keep starting. If you want to see Devin (and Keldon) start, then I think DW needs to be moved. Honestly, a starting lineup of DJ-Devin-Keldon/McDermott-Collins-Poeltl might make me cry with joy.
Ag Natural
AG
I think Keldon will end up being a SG. He's been playing the 3 since he's very strong and can guard bigger guys. But he's undersized for that position. Now he's near the top of the league in 3pt shooting.

Moving DW isn't out of the question at all. He has a manageable contract that should be attractive to other teams. I just wonder what the Spurs would want in return. A deal for a guy like Collins would be interesting it just seems unlikely that Atlanta would see that as an equitable trade. I doubt the Spurs would want to give up a whole lot in addition to White especially since they'd have to take on the bigger contract.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

I think Keldon will end up being a SG. He's been playing the 3 since he's very strong and can guard bigger guys. But he's undersized for that position. Now he's near the top of the league in 3pt shooting.

Moving DW isn't out of the question at all. He has a manageable contract that should be attractive to other teams. I just wonder what the Spurs would want in return. A deal for a guy like Collins would be interesting it just seems unlikely that Atlanta would see that as an equitable trade. I doubt the Spurs would want to give up a whole lot in addition to White especially since they'd have to take on the bigger contract.
Atlanta is over the luxury tax next year with just 9 players under contract. Collins and Capela just dont fit well next to each other and they need a secondary playmaker. Spurs probably get the better end of that trade, but White is a legitimate 15/6/4 guy that is a very good defensive player and can play defense against three positions. I think on a team like Atlanta, he would be much more efficient than he is on the Spurs with fewer great options.

If you look at PG/Combo Guards on the market, White is probably one of the better ones.

Spencer Dinwiddie has played poorly this year.
Jalen Brunson may be available, but Dallas would probably want a high price and Collins would be awful next to KP.
Schroeder is a big downgrade defensively.
Kemba is past his prime.
Quickley isnt as good as White right now.

DeAaron Fox is the only guy that is on the market right now that is way better than White, but he would not e a great fit next to Trae. Plus he would cause more financial problems.

Also, with how Atlanta is built with Trae Young and Bogdan at primary guard positions, Atlanta really needs a defensive player that can cover 1 or 2s. White would be a huge upgrade for them defensively.

So he isnt as good as Collins, but he might make their team better overall.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Would y'all rather have Collins or Ayton? Before this season I'd say the latter but Collins is having a hell of a shooting season and averages more blocks.
Ag Natural
AG
I agree that they need a player like White. Atlanta has really fallen off defensively this season. But the only way they give up Collins for him is if that luxury tax becomes the motivation. So I guess that's possible.
Ag Natural
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Would y'all rather have Collins or Ayton? Before this season I'd say the latter but Collins is having a hell of a shooting season and averages more blocks.
On the current Spurs roster I'd prefer Collins. Ayton is an upgrade of Poeltl but he's not lightyears better. Jacob brings a lot to the table. Plus Ayton wants a max deal.
Guitarsoup
AG
Collins if we keep Jakob.

The rumor is that Atlanta called us about White. So they know they need him to improve their team.

Atlanta also has their own pick and Charlotte's pick next year (assuming Charlotte is between 19-32)

Next year, Atlanta has 9 guys under contract for $146mm. Plus their own pick (lottery) and Charlotte's pick (~20.)That's another $7mm or so, depending on where their pick lands. White and a future first gets them 7mm closer to the luxury tax line.

Woj said Lux tax would be ~140mm next year. So if they are at 153+1 roster spot for a million, they would be 14mm over the tax, which would mean $26mm in taxes. Collins for White would drop them from 180mm total in salary + tax to 158mm in salary + tax. Saves $22mm in just the first full year and probably improves your team defensively.
Pendragon12
AG
As happy as a collins for white trade would make me (though also sad, emotions are confusing), I think the pieces we should not move include: Devin, Primo, our FRP this year, Jakob, and Keldon. I think that also limits the likelihood of something happening unless the luxury tax is a main motivator. The FO may disagree on my untouchables list, but with how young 3/5 of those assets are, and Collins has some limitations, I think moving them now you're potentially selling yourself short. Collins is good. But he won't ever be THE guy.

I think with how effective Jakob has been this season, and how friendly of a deal he's on, you don't move him unless you get a deal you can't refuse.
Guitarsoup
AG
Pendragon12 said:

As happy as a collins for white trade would make me (though also sad, emotions are confusing), I think the pieces we should not move include: Devin, Primo, our FRP this year, Jakob, and Keldon. I think that also limits the likelihood of something happening unless the luxury tax is a main motivator. The FO may disagree on my untouchables list, but with how young 3/5 of those assets are, and Collins has some limitations, I think moving them now you're potentially selling yourself short. Collins is good. But he won't ever be THE guy.

I think with how effective Jakob has been this season, and how friendly of a deal he's on, you don't move him unless you get a deal you can't refuse.
I dont think anyone is untouchable for the right price. I dont think the Atlanta trade would include this year's FRP, since they already own the rights to three picks (one won't convey, one may not) and they are trying to cut guaranteed salary.
Guitarsoup
AG
Zach Collin averaging 15p - 8r on 50% shooting in 3 games in Austin. Just 24mpg.

Primo averaging 19p 3r 5a while hitting 50% from three and 48%FG in 30mpg

Spurs 2-way player Devontae Cacok is putting up 23p/13r in 33mpg.
Sports-Ag
AG
Spurs win 131-122. 7 players in double figures. They also made their free throws and 3 pointers. Pop 7 wins away from all time wins in regular season
Enzo The Baker
AG

Tea leaves to be read (Poeltl and White) or really just resting against a team we would lose to anyways in the suns?
jteagle
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Tea leaves to be read (Poeltl and White) or really just resting against a team we would lose to anyways in the suns?
Or making sure they lose.
Pendragon12
AG
I think DJ and Jakob could be legitimate. White is interesting.
LawHall88
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.