Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kyle Allen on dysfunction

39,256 Views | 255 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by DayAg!
12mn95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
You people are amazing. A guy that was actually in the locker room says our program is dysfunctional, and y'all blame him and not the "CEO" at the top.

And who quit during season...

I didn't have a problem that he left at the end of the regular season. Gave Hubenak the chance to practice as the starter all December. Murray had the starting role all to himself. And he still left.

Allen probably knew Spav was gone which only left him with Sumlin who he didn't have much respect for. Why stay for that? Give the next guy an opportunity if you don't want it. I am fine with that.
TrillOBrien
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
You people are amazing. A guy that was actually in the locker room says our program is dysfunctional, and y'all blame him and not the "CEO" at the top.

I didn't have a problem that he left at the end of the regular season. Gave Hubenak the chance to practice as the starter all December. Murray had the starting role all to himself. And he still left.

Allen probably knew Spav was gone which only left him with Sumlin who he didn't have much respect for. Why stay for that? Give the next guy an opportunity if you don't want it. I am fine with that.
Life is unfair. He should be able to deal with it. Him running away from his problems.....WHILE SPAV WAS STILL THE OC and before a bowl game is a bad look. If he truly left because Spav was gone, he would've done it after the firing was official. Him leaving only made the case worse for Spav and Sumlin's job security. We all know Sumlin wanted to keep Spav around. Having a 5* QB transfer before a bowl game only made things worse for Spav
Artorias
AG
Good lord, more of this nonsense *****ing about him leaving before the irrelevant bowl game? As has been pointed out countless times in the countless other threads where the same idiots are bashing KA for leaving before the bowl game, had he stayed for the bowl game, you same idiots would be bashing him for not leaving sooner and taking away valuable practice and game reps from Hubenak.

And LOL at all the idiots on here trying to discount a first-hand experience of what happened inside the program for the past 2 years. Circle the wagons, Ags! All is well in Aggieland! There is no dysfunction! 2 5* Qbs leaving is normal. Next year is our year!

vander54
S
It is possible the dysfunction was caused by the tranfered players and also the tension between Spav and DC. If so both are resolved.
Artorias
AG
quote:
It is possible the dysfunction was caused by the tranfered players and also the tension between Spav and DC. If so both are resolved.
Could be. If so, then choosing 3 starting QBs in a row that cause team-wide dysfunction (Hill, Allen, Murray) reflects poorly on Sumlin. Ultimately, he is in charge, and he put those guys out there to lead the team.
aggiedent
AG
quote:
If so, then choosing 3 starting QBs in a row that cause team-wide dysfunction (Hill, Allen, Murray) reflects poorly on Sumlin. Ultimately, he is in charge, and he put those guys out there to lead the team.

First of all, those guys were in high demand by many of the best programs in the country. Coaches can never know everything about a recruit. College is much different than HS, and some kids don't handle the change well. It's hard for them to understand they are not the best player on the team anymore or that starting is not guaranteed.

Second, Sumlin put the best player out there, the one he thought gave us the best chance at winning. Every single coach out there would have done the same thing.

Third, once Hill was removed, it was either Allen or a walk-on. Gee.....I wonder who I would have chosen.

My point being, it's so easy to say what you did, but you fail to state what the options were or what you would have done differently.
vander54
S
quote:
quote:
Could be. If so, then choosing 3 starting QBs in a row that cause team-wide dysfunction (Hill, Allen, Murray) reflects poorly on Sumlin. Ultimately, he is in charge, and he put those guys out there to lead the team.

Hindsight 20/20
Artorias
AG
quote:
quote:
If so, then choosing 3 starting QBs in a row that cause team-wide dysfunction (Hill, Allen, Murray) reflects poorly on Sumlin. Ultimately, he is in charge, and he put those guys out there to lead the team.

First of all, those guys were in high demand by many of the best programs in the country. Coaches can never know everything about a recruit. College is much different than HS, and some kids don't handle the change well. It's hard for them to understand they are not the best player on the team anymore or that starting is not guaranteed.

Second, Sumlin put the best player out there, the one he thought gave us the best chance at winning. Every single coach out there would have done the same thing.

Third, once Hill was removed, it was either Allen or a walk-on. Gee.....I wonder who I would have chosen.

My point being, it's so easy to say what you did, but you fail to state what the options were or what you would have done differently.
I don't believe it was just the QBs. I think it is a much deeper, bigger problem. I hope I am wrong, but I doubt it.
aggiedent
AG
quote:
I don't believe it was just the QBs. I think it is a much deeper, bigger problem. I hope I am wrong, but I doubt it.

Well please enlighten us.

Do you think the addition of two veteran and quality coordinators will help stabilize and mature some of the young players?
Trident 88
AG
quote:
And LOL at all the idiots on here trying to discount a first-hand experience of what happened inside the program for the past 2 years. Circle the wagons, Ags! All is well in Aggieland! There is no dysfunction! 2 5* Qbs leaving is normal. Next year is our year!

I'm confident that the large majority of us recognize that there was dysfunction and that the program's recovery from it is still a work in process. I understand that Sumlin has his faults, as would most coaches who mistakenly put themselves in the same position as he did. However, the expectation is now that the poison of the Murray father/son dbag duo has been extracted for the most part from the program, "bystanders" like KA should be able to perform and improve instead of opting to bail on the rest of the team.
Artorias
AG
quote:
quote:

Do you think the addition of two veteran and quality coordinators will help stabilize and mature some of the young players?
IMHO, I think the culture that Sumlin has developed within the program, starting with the JFF years, is the core of the problem. I do think veteran, hard-nose coordinators like Chavis can help fix it, assuming Sumlin allows them to do their job.

To be clear, I do think it was bad form and unwise for Allen to comment. He is a young guy who obviously doesn't know any better. That being said, the efforts of some to simply discount his accounts of what was going on inside the locker room is simply sticking your head in the sand.
vander54
S
quote:
quote:
quote:

IMHO, I think the culture that Sumlin has developed within the program, starting with the JFF years, is the core of the problem. I do think veteran, hard-nose coordinators like Chavis can help fix it, assuming Sumlin allows them to do their job.

To be clear, I do think it was bad form and unwise for Allen to comment. He is a young guy who obviously doesn't know any better. That being said, the efforts of some to simply discount his accounts of what was going on inside the locker room is simply sticking your head in the sand.

And assuming things that you have no proof to is bad as well. Sumlin has some faults in what is going on but you can't blame him 100% and it seems like he has been trying to fix things.
aggiedent
AG
quote:
I do think veteran, hard-nose coordinators like Chavis can help fix it, assuming Sumlin allows them to do their job.

Did you notice that all the issues (the QB circus and all the game suspensions) were on the offensive side of the ball? I agree it starts with Sumlin, but I really think Spav wasn't up to the job from a maturity standpoint. I don't see that being a problem with Mazzone. From what I heard, Mazzone is a lot like Chavis.
Houstonag
AG
No doubt the football coaches lost control and failed to manage. AD all the way down are responsible. Take off the rose colored glasses.
Clown Question
I don't think anyone thinks Sumlin is without blame but allen was part of the entitlement culture and therefore the dysfunction. Just because he wasn't a complete ass like murray (even though he is quickly catching up with his woman scorned interviews), doesn't mean he wasn't part of the problem. He was the guy who wanted to transfer as a true freshman because he didn't win the starting job and was vocal about it to the coaches. And as others pointed out, he wasn't here during the Manziel era so him acting like an expert on it is stupid.
Goose83
AG
Kids leaving to go to another program is not the problem here - Coaches publicly throwing kids under the bus to cover up their incompetence is. I'd like to know how many people here casting stones at Allen wouldn't have done the exact same thing under the exact same circumstances.

Additionally, loyalty to A&M is one thing - Loyalty to Sumlin is another. Unfortunately some people here seem to have gotten the two confused.
The Collective
AG
So, is it possible for us to agree that Allen probably has some points that are true, but he is not 100% blameless or without fault for the situation that occurred?
Artorias
AG
quote:
So, is it possible for us to agree that Allen probably has some points that are true, but he is not 100% blameless or without fault for the situation that occurred?

Sounds fair. Therefore, get that **** outta here! This is the ZOO, *****!
Clown Question

quote:

I think the less insane zoo members see this as the case. Sumlin did not do a good job managing the team but allen demonstrated the entitled attitude he talked about in the article.
GoneGirl
AG
Kyle Allen sounds like the guy who keeps trying to convince all the other guys how bsc his ex is, despite her hotness, because he doesn't want to see her dating anyone else, and because everyone thinks he's an idiot for breaking up with her.

zipp99
AG
quote:
This is old news, basically, that everyone already knows. The best QB we've had since Johnny is Kenny Hill who threw it away.

Who coincidentally was also permitted to be a stumbling drunk until he couldn't perform on Satirdays anymore.
Ag4coal
quote:
Kyle Allen sounds like the guy who keeps trying to convince all the other guys how bsc his ex is, despite her hotness, because he doesn't want to see her dating anyone else, and because everyone thinks he's an idiot for breaking up with her.

We are absolutely not the hot school right now. Two straight, massive, mid season meltdowns has assured us of that. He's the guy saying telling us why she's bsc when another guy asks, not trying to slander her
Rnguyen
KA needs to own up to his crappy plays and all the INTs that he threw that put him on the bench in the first place. Good riddance!!!!
StayPuft
AG
quote:
KA needs to own up to his crappy plays and all the INTs that he threw that put him on the bench in the first place. Good riddance!!!!
Yeah, I mean, why would an irresponsible and stubborn head coach make him want to transfer?
Bodhi
AG
Johnny brought the program to heights it has never seen before, and then destroyed it. Resembles his life.
Artorias
AG
quote:
People who talk about "all the INTS" Allen threw, acting like he was an INT machine show they are completely ignorant of the facts. A simple look at the stats will cure your ignorance.

Allen had 14 INTs in 14 starts, as a true freshman/sophomore behind a weak OL.

For comparison, Manziel had 22 INTs in 26 games, playing behind an NFL OL and throwing to Mike Evans.
Jameis Winston had 28 INTs in 27 games, playing on a National Championship team, and a team that played in the CFP the next year.

Yes, Allen had 3 INTs against Bama that were returned for touchdowns, 2 of which were returned for 60+ and 90+ yards. Manziel threw 3 INTs in a game twice. The only difference is his team actually tackled the guys.

KA was not a great QB while he was here, but let's not exaggerate reality just because we are feeling scorned.
trm94
AG
KA is Ryan Leaf. Physical tools, headcase with no leadership or respect, and an incredibly slow release. He's a future NFL bench warmer. Not one decent program wanted him
Artorias
AG
quote:
KA is Ryan Leaf.
You are confusing KA with JFF
12mn95
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Life is unfair. He should be able to deal with it. Him running away from his problems.....WHILE SPAV WAS STILL THE OC and before a bowl game is a bad look. If he truly left because Spav was gone, he would've done it after the firing was official. Him leaving only made the case worse for Spav and Sumlin's job security. We all know Sumlin wanted to keep Spav around. Having a 5* QB transfer before a bowl game only made things worse for Spav
Why should he stay if he doesn't want to. Because you want him to? Coaches come and go, so why shouldn't players who are making a "business decision". If you don't want to play here then I rather you leave and get someone else that does want to be here. We are a top university, we should be able to find players that want to be here no matter what.

You need to accept that this is a business and a lot of players don't love our school the way we do. They came here to get to the NFL not because they grew up loving A&M. He felt this was the best way to get there. When he realized that FOR HIM it wasn't the best place, then he left. He was not married to A&M. His feelings for our school are not same yours and everyone else's on here...

Like you said, Life is unfair. Just like he needs to deal with it, you need to deal with it too that he left and let it go.
4L Aggie
AG
Kids a punk. Should have taken the high road - instead he is whining and making excuses why he couldn't hack it. He does not have it upstairs or the intestinal fortitude to be a leader.
BowhunterAg83
AG
Jim Turner! Have a great day! Best news in months. Sumlin is putting together a very good staff!
agz win
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Why should he stay if he doesn't want to. Because you want him to? Coaches come and go, so why shouldn't players who are making a "business decision".

Because he signed a contract to play for A&M and he quit on his teammates and coaches before the season ended - simply a bad "business decision". If he's going to promote himself as a team leader then he needs to help the team through the bowl game.

For him to quit on his team like he did just shows his lack of true leadership abilities. He wasn't SEC ready.

Maybe Hermann can help him mature in the "business decisions" he makes over at Cougar High - although his new teammates will always have in the back of their minds that he's a quitter and can't be fully trusted.

Regardless, what he did to his A&M teammates will follow him on his resume for the rest of his life and the NFL has already taken notes of his juvenile antics.
TexasAggiesWin
S
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Why should he stay if he doesn't want to. Because you want him to? Coaches come and go, so why shouldn't players who are making a "business decision".

Because he signed a contract to play for A&M and he quit on his teammates and coaches before the season ended - simply a bad "business decision". If he's going to promote himself as a team leader then he needs to help the team through the bowl game.

For him to quit on his team like he did just shows his lack of true leadership abilities. He wasn't SEC ready.

Maybe Hermann can help him mature in the "business decisions" he makes over at Cougar High - although his new teammates will always have in the back of their minds that he's a quitter and can't be fully trusted.

Regardless, what he did to his A&M teammates will follow him on his resume for the rest of his life and the NFL has already taken notes of his juvenile antics.
So, you are not a fan of the Turner hire because he just signed a contract with Cincinnati to coach there and didn't fulfill his obligations?
aggiedent
AG
quote:
So, you are not a fan of the Turner hire because he just signed a contract with Cincinnati to coach there and didn't fulfill his obligations?

How difficult is to to see the difference between quitting in mid-season and quitting in the off season?
Nino Brown
Two cry babies plus a 29 year old boss equals trouble, period. Look I like KA and think he should of stayed but as a true sophomore he didn't have the right to pout about getting pulled out of game when he was struggling against Bama, hurt or not. Then he should of told the coaches he was hurting, he did that to himself.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.