Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kyle Allen on dysfunction

39,280 Views | 255 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by DayAg!
Ex-liberalag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Look, maybe what he said holds some truth but to bring up Johnny when he is down is weak. What a Pansie azz...
Scantron882
AG
The old 'As long as you keep pointing at others no one is looking at you' strategy
BattleAg
quote:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Z5rripU6L9Y/UX_eV16Qg5I/AAAAAAAALks/dq1ynb2ECiw/s1600/mr-perfect.gif
LOL!
theeyetest

quote:
"Everyone wasn't in a straight line. Everyone was going this way, this way, this way. We had a ton of talent there. I think that, once you get all the right coaches there and get the vision right, you can do a lot of things."

So, KA is pretty much saying that we won't win a THING until Sumlin is gone and the culture and locker room create a cohesiveness that allows us to win big ball games.

He's dead on with this one.
Dr. Abbott, DDS
quote:
What??? TexAgs assured me "KDS" was an offensive guru, master recruiter, great CEO.

I think I'll go put my head back in the sand where everything is great.
How about you stick it back up Kevin Murray's ass
jwal
Agree with Bob Harris, Deputy and Token and others - KA remarks sound like fair comment to me and not badly spoken either.

Despite the ups and downs of young athletes, I find it easy to assert that Sumlin is the issue. It would surprise me to see Sumlin right the ship at Texas A&M or as someone tried suggesting in another thread - go build a dynasty elsewhere. Just don't see that happening.
Amazing Moves
Thanks, 19 year old. Now run along.
InternetFan02
AG
don't care won heisman
1876er
AG
Also, this is pretty much what John Lopez said 4 months ago and everybody on this website called him a hack.
TexasAggiesWin
S
I don't think anyone has ever thought Sumlin ran a tight ship in College Station?
Bob Harris
The biggest question is, how does a guy who has made a career coaching football just lose interest in being the head coach of a potential monster program in the SEC West?

Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer wanted to win so bad they recruited thugs. Other coaches want to win so bad, they cheat any way they can to buy recruits. Joe Paterno just turned a blind eye to some pretty horrible things going on in the program. All of those things usually catch up to the coach and he is forced to move on or grab the first train out of town.

But not many coaches just ... check out and let the program drift away from them. Look at the way we just let DC go, and Spavital before him. No one really knew what was going on. It took forever. People heard rumors about it for a few days, and then we basically got the notice on a little Post-It note outside the Bright Complex.

I've never seen a head coach handle things like this before in any sport. They either implode or explode, but it's pretty rare to just watch one just sort of melt away.

Bird Poo
AG
It seems like he talks about it all the time because he is asked about it all the time. EVERYONE wants to know the reasons for the sudden departure. It's a fair question even if texags zoo posters don't like the answers.

Texas A&M football cannot get better if we don't understand why we suck in the first place.

I'm giving Sumlin another year based solely on what Chavis will do for our defense.
ABATTBQ87
AG
An example from 7 Habits of Highly Effective People that illustrates the issues:

quote:
For example, a person in charge of a physical asset, such as a machine, may be eager to make a good impression on his superiors. Perhaps the company is in a rapid growth stage and promotions are coming fast. So he (Manziel) produces at optimum levels -- no downtime, no maintenance. He runs the machine day and night. The production is phenomenal, costs are down, and profits skyrocket. Within a short time, he's (Manziel) promoted. Golden eggs.

But suppose you (KA) are his successor on the job. You (KA) inherit a very sick goose, a machine that, by this time, is rusted and starts to break down. You have to invest heavily in downtime and maintenance. Costs skyrocket; profits nose-dive. And who gets blamed for the loss of golden eggs? You do (KA). Your predecessor liquidated the asset, but the accounting system only reported unit production, costs, and profit.
KA was unprepared to fill the shoes of his highly successful and productive predecessor.
curry97
AG
quote:
This times 1000!

While everyone already knew this, Sumlin's seat just got a little warmer.

Sumlin's seat should have already been pulled out from under him considering the things he allows to go on in the department.
whatshappening
quote:
Nobody cares, Kyle. Go on to Cougar high and their beautiful campus. You'll probably throw for 3,500 yards against that competition and nobody will take notice.
You're right. Nobody notices UH these days.
stetson
AG
Core values comin'?
The Collective
AG
quote:
How convenient he just jumps on the bash Johnny train. No coincidence he does it this week. What a joke. Man up and admit you were not ready for the SEC. Notice how he transferred to a p5 school.

Well, I think you would have to know the question that Kyle was asked before judging him using Johnny's name. Perhaps the reporter asked him specifically about the Manziel culture... reporters are good at tricking players to give them the quote they want. This article's hit rate probably went up 10000000%, because the author was able to get Allen to reference Manziel directly in quotes.
Clown Question

quote:
You're right. Nobody notices UH these days.

uh is a great stepping stone school for up and coming coaches. They have proven that.

quote:
The biggest question is, how does a guy who has made a career coaching football just lose interest in being the head coach of a potential monster program in the SEC West?

You give him $30 guaranteed.
BattleAg
quote:
quote:
How convenient he just jumps on the bash Johnny train. No coincidence he does it this week. What a joke. Man up and admit you were not ready for the SEC. Notice how he transferred to a p5 school.

Well, I think you would have to know the question that Kyle was asked before judging him using Johnny's name. Perhaps the reporter asked him specifically about the Manziel culture... reporters are good at tricking players to give them the quote they want. This article's hit rate probably went up 10000000%, because the author was able to get Allen to reference Manziel directly in quotes.

This ^.

While he should have kept his mouth shut (for a number of reasons.. but mainly, just take the high road), he hasn't really been around the block enough times (imo) to know that the media is not his friend, they aren't here to make him look good and he won't score any points with them for future deference. He'll learn, at least if he performs well enough to stay in the conversation. I'm not letting him off the hook, nor blaming him, necessarily. I think we're just seeing a young kid who should have said "no comment" but didn't. Whether he got advice along those lines (and didn't take it) is another question, too. jmho.
heddy Lamarr
AG
of course as a QB and leader of the team none of this was on him
Deputy Travis Junior
I think you missed my point. I said he's right but should have just kept his mouth shut.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
Yeah. I'm going to take the word of a 19 yr old quitter over the guys still here working hard. KA made himself irrelevant and now is looking for a stage. Scorned woman syndrome
kentky
Sumlin's credibility as a coach and recruiter is shot. Recruits already knew there was a reason that a starting QB would quit his team and that reason was the head coach. I fear that recruiting is just going to get worse as long as Sumlin is here and recruiting is the life blood of any program..
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
Sumlin's credibility as a coach and recruiter is shot. Recruits already knew there was a reason that a starting QB would quit his team and that reason was the head coach. I fear that recruiting is just going to get worse as long as Sumlin is here and recruiting is the life blood of any program..
that's why this year is critical. Show stability at the QB position and win... this will right the ship.
FCBlitz
quote:

Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer wanted to win so bad they recruited thugs. Other coaches want to win so bad, they cheat any way they can to buy recruits. Joe Paterno just turned a blind eye to some pretty horrible things going on in the program. All of those things usually catch up to the coach and he is forced to move on or grab the first train out of town.

But not many coaches just ... check out and let the program drift away from them. Look at the way we just let DC go, and Spavital before him. No one really knew what was going on. It took forever. People heard rumors about it for a few days, and then we basically got the notice on a little Post-It note outside the Bright Complex.

I've never seen a head coach handle things like this before in any sport. They either implode or explode, but it's pretty rare to just watch one just sort of melt away.

Mental health issues. I tossed this out long ago......for consideration. Plus he is protected by that crazy contract.
Shake and Bake
Interesting - so a perfect chance to lead which is what the nfl covets or run away- which is what he did. Sounds like a big oppurtunity lost for him. When the going gets tough ... The tough get going. He is not from the mold of what I know and love about Ags. The recent nfl mvp gets it!
ScottStreet06
quote:
Nobody cares, Kyle. Go on to Cougar high and their beautiful campus. You'll probably throw for 3,500 yards against that competition and nobody will take notice.
Or possibly, he will win conference titles, play in NY6 bowl games and finish in the top 10 in the country, then move on to the NFL like past UH quarterbacks? Keep bragging about the huge stadium and the SEC schedule (no one cares about losers). Not even Johnny cokehead could win you a conference title.
PanhandleSlim
AG
I don't buy what Kyle is selling.

Think about it. If there was such a big problem, it would not have only affected the two 5-star QBs. We would see this happening throughout the team at various positions. We are not. The problem ---whatever it was--- was limited to two 5-star QBs.

You can bet your last silver dollar that if Kyle Allen had not been benched he would still be playing for A&M.
JJxvi
AG
Kenny Hill
The Collective
AG
Credit to Deats on the metroplex board:
farmer1
AG
We had 5 qb leave in 3 years their has to be a problem with Sumlim
Clown Question

quote:
Or possibly, he will win conference titles, play in NY6 bowl games and finish in the top 10 in the country, then move on to the NFL like past UH quarterbacks? Keep bragging about the huge stadium and the SEC schedule (no one cares about losers). Not even Johnny cokehead could win you a conference title.

So who is the new coach he will do all those things under? The only uh coach responsible for those things is going to be at tu in 2017. Also how is that big 12 invite coming?
quote:

We had 5 qb leave in 3 years their has to be a problem with Sumlim
To be fair Showers and Joekel transferred because they were behind Manziel. Hill was an alcoholic. This year the transfers were a cluster **** on the part of Sumlin.
Meximan
Our ships must all sail in the same direction!

txpierce
AG
I don't have any comment on Sumlin or the general state of the program, but I thought this was pretty amusing:

quote:

"I think the culture was a big part of it, and I think that stems from Johnny's era there -- the way that they let Johnny and [others] act there," said Allen, the No. 1-rated pro-style quarterback in the 247Sports Composite for 2014. "They [could] do that and still win games because they had Johnny and five offensive linemen playing in the NFL right now."

"When you don't have players like Johnny and [others] there anymore, you have to really come together as a team and scrap for wins," Allen said.

So, what are you saying, Kyle? That you're no Johnny Football?
diehard03
quote:
I don't buy what Kyle is selling.

I don't either because it's just nonsensical. It reads like he just made it up on the spot since Johnny's been in the news lately.

If it's 2013? Sure, the season after going 11-2 and moon-pounding OU in the cotton bowl might have this affect. But since then, we've gone 9-4,8-5,8-5. During that time, Alabama whipped our ass 59-0.

It makes no sense that a "Johnny Football" entitlement culture would still exist.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.