Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kyle Allen on dysfunction

39,293 Views | 255 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by DayAg!
PabloSerna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
High Road, somebody show it to Allen. A future NFL player, he needs to hone this part of his game.
PanhandleSlim
AG
If Sumlin has created a toxic environment, would someone please explain why we aren't seeing other positions blowing up like QB?

Also, I see plenty of discipline on this team, most prominently manifested in the team's strength and conditioning.

Truth is this is part of the new Transfer culture that has emerged in college football. It isn't unique to Texas A&M. Did you know there are 18 major college QB transfers this year?

To catch a glimpse at this emerging Transfer reality, check this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/31/sports/ncaafootball/jake-coker-alabama-college-players-find-end-around-to-transfer-constraints.html?_r=0

TexasAggiesWin
S
Whether you like it or not, here is yet another piece of information about the Aggie football program that paints the entire operation in a bad light. At some point in time, you have to quit defending and think that there may really be a problem in leadership.
RogerTheShrubber
Reading that thread is like reading the POTBANGERS roll call!!!!!!

Before the world wide web, village idiots stayed in their own village...
marble rye
AG
Nothing to see here. Just a bitter Betty attention hoaring millenial.
txagssweetie2014
quote:
We had 5 qb leave in 3 years their has to be a problem with Sumlim

Logic fail. Where are the 20 WRs, 25 OL, 20 DL, 15 LB and 20 DB that have transferred over the last 3 years.
KA is the pick 6 single game record holder as well as Mr. Incompletions Inarow. Dude was injured more than Kyler the Smurph.

I have some issues with Sumlin, but quit blaming for how butthurt Mr. Pick 6 is.
PabloSerna
AG
Never thought I'd say it, but KA sounds bitter about his time here in Aggieland. Glad he got away, must have been hell.
P.C. Principal
Lots of butthurt on this thread.

I respect KA for being honest. Sumlin did create a ****storm it looks like, and KA is just saying stuff we don't want to hear but we feel like we've known all along.

Kyler was the worst thing to happen to us in recent history. Having to constantly kiss his and his dad's asses really messed things up IMO. The fact that Sumlin tolerated his smug, entitled attitude and rewarded him for it says a lot about our current football culture. KA had every right to feel disrespected.

The tolerance for JFF's shenanigans back in 2012 and 2013 didn't help either. I feel like a coach like Saban wouldn't put up with that bull**** for 2 seconds.

And we jumped the gun by throwing $5 mil at Sumlin so soon. It should take YEARS to develop a salary like that. And back when it happened, there were people on this board defending the decision. Because we were still riding high from the Bama win.

I don't have high hopes for next season. I hope I'm wrong. But if Sumlin doesn't heal this culture and move on, it's just going to get worse.
ham98
quote:
Stephen McGee was a better talent in a much worse situation who loved the school like we do. Kyle Allen is just a reflection of the weakness being fostered in today's kids.
1876er
AG
quote:
If Sumlin has created a toxic environment, would someone please explain why we aren't seeing other positions blowing up like QB?

Also, I see plenty of discipline on this team, most prominently manifested in the team's strength and conditioning.

Truth is this is part of the new Transfer culture that has emerged in college football. It isn't unique to Texas A&M. Did you know there are 18 major college QB transfers this year?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/31/sports/ncaafootball/jake-coker-alabama-college-players-find-end-around-to-transfer-constraints.html?_r=0

We've had numerous WRs transfer. Everybody said "no big deal, were stacked at WR", but the reality is we are very mediocre at WR. Trey Williams risked his NFL career by leaving early to get away. Brandon Williams risked his NFL career to switch to defense so he could play for Chavis. We had TWO starting QBs transfer within 10 days of each other. How many schools have had ONE starting QB transfer? How much more evidence do you need?
marble rye
AG
quote:
quote:
Stephen McGee was a better talent in a much worse situation who loved the school like we do. Kyle Allen is just a reflection of the weakness being fostered in today's kids.

Sumlin's Super Special 5-Star Snowflakes
VonDaMan
AG
He's not kid who doesn't understand what impact his statements will have on our program and recruiting. Got a blame someone else, right? What a jerk.
Citizen Reign
quote:
Lots of butthurt on this thread.

I respect KA for being honest. Sumlin did create a ****storm it looks like, and KA is just saying stuff we don't want to hear but we feel like we've known all along.

Kyler was the worst thing to happen to us in recent history. Having to constantly kiss his and his dad's asses really messed things up IMO. The fact that Sumlin tolerated his smug, entitled attitude and rewarded him for it says a lot about our current football culture. KA had every right to feel disrespected.

The tolerance for JFF's shenanigans back in 2012 and 2013 didn't help either. I feel like a coach like Saban wouldn't put up with that bull**** for 2 seconds.

And we jumped the gun by throwing $5 mil at Sumlin so soon. It should take YEARS to develop a salary like that. And back when it happened, there were people on this board defending the decision. Because we were still riding high from the Bama win.

I don't have high hopes for next season. I hope I'm wrong. But if Sumlin doesn't heal this culture and move on, it's just going to get worse.
This
MidTnAg
AG
None of us know what has (and is) happening in the locker room. But it appears that Kyle is spot on in his asssessments.

Unfortunetly, I am afraid recruits sense this same atmosphere in Aggieland and are tending to look elsewhere.
Frisco - Ag
AG
quote:

quote:
All the negative recruiting stems from one source...

and he's still here.

Blame the guys who cut the big checks. They signed him to a guaranteed contract and dithered on what to do with him in Dec. Just like people say it is pointless to blame allen for what should be Sumlin's responsibility. It is pointless to blame Sumlin for being here. There are people who could alleviate that problem. They just choose not too.

quote:
I know everyone wants to pile on Sumlin, but who goes to the media repeatedly to talk about how bad they had it at their past school?
He is a woman scorned. He recklessly transfered to a mid-major commuter school to play for a coach, he will never take a live snap for. He realizes this now and his little poor me media tour is how he justifies his careless decision in his mind.

The funny thing is that article comes across as more of dig against his former teammates than his former coach. I have a feeling some of our guys would have an opinion on "Mr. I want to transfer my freshmen year because I didn't get the starting job" talking about team work and togetherness.

This. Stop taking about your old school. Get over it queen.
chipotle
Pffffft.....freshmen
PanhandleSlim
AG
Also note KA quit before the end of the season. He wasn't happy here.

More smoke than fire and all coming from two 5-star QBs. Happy trails boys!
. . .
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
Johnny Manziel is responsible for Kyle Allen throwing three pick 6's against 'Bama?

What a fool.
Bobaloo
Not interested in the comments of a quitter. Enjoy Cougar High.
TrillOBrien
AG
It's ironic considering Kyle was always posting pictures of him in Arizona every other week partying with his girlfriend. The culture didn't seem to be an issue when he was given that freedom, but suddenly the Alabama game comes along that it's all about a lack of "culture."

Oh, and Myles Garrett never parties. He seems to focus on football and school. So...why has the culture not been an issue to him? Why hasn't he wanted to transfer because other players didn't have the same focus or mindset?

This isn't about culture. That's just an excuse. Culture didn't cause him to throw pick-sixes.
Texan76
quote:

Having the two top QBs on the depth chart has nothing to do with a transfer culture. It is unheard of.
FCBlitz
quote:
Also note KA quit before the end of the season. He wasn't happy here.

More smoke than fire and all coming from two 5-star QBs. Happy trails boys!

After all of these years there may be a point where you and I see things differently. KA in my opinion not was unhappy in the KM sort of way. That game where the coaching staff asked him to throw pass after pass when mechanically he couldn't because of shoulder injury was the final spike in the train track of the KDS express. If that was my son I would have counseled him to go sonewhere else.
txagssweetie2014
quote:
We've had numerous WRs transfer. Everybody said "no big deal, were stacked at WR", but the reality is we are very mediocre at WR. Trey Williams risked his NFL career by leaving early to get away. Brandon Williams risked his NFL career to switch to defense so he could play for Chavis. We had TWO starting QBs transfer within 10 days of each other. How many schools have had ONE starting QB transfer? How much more evidence do you need?

Here is some evidence- Trevor Knight, who is well known for having high character just transferred here. You mentioned Trey Williams leaving, but failed to mention Keith Ford transferring in. Your never ending one-sided trolling should get you perma-banned.
pasquale
AG
Sumlin needs to establish some Core Values
agz win
AG
quote:
quote:

THIS!
Wabs
AG
quote:
quote:

Here is some evidence- Trevor Knight, who is well known for having high character just transferred here. You mentioned Trey Williams leaving, but failed to mention Keith Ford transferring in. Your never ending one-sided trolling should get you perma-banned.
AGHouston11
AG
He has a right to talk about it.
Sumlin is making 13k a day and is one of the highest paid coaches. Kyle is having to plan his future for hopefully a big payday in the NFL.

If Sumlin was leading a train wreck that is on him.
Sumlin is getting paid for results!

It is a news worthy story because there is no other 5 million dollar coach that lost 2 five star recruits in one week.
Artorias
AG
it is painfully obvious to even a casual observer that there has been dysfunction in the team/program for a while now. People on here trying to ignore it or insist everything is fine is laughable.
The Collective
AG
The truth on the program's status is somewhere between the #s description and the texags one (user perception; not staff). Unfortunately, the variance between these two is the size of the grand canyon, so it's difficult to get a good idea of how dire things are.
Post removed:
by user
strbrst777
What is the "culture?" Get anywhere near the practice field and tell me what you hear. That tells me that a higher value needs to be placed on higher values. It is a symptom. Tell me that the players like it and recruits love it, and I'll tell you that some don't.
aggiedent
AG
At the end of the day, it is clear that our team had a number of problems. Of course, a lot of head coaches have made mistakes in the early portion of their careers, Nick Saban being a great example.

I think the two greatest mistakes Sumlin made was running the ship a little lax and putting much too inexperienced a person in charge of the offense. I say inexperienced not just in technical knowledge but in the sense that Spav was too young to provide solid leadership. Kind of like having a 25 year old general run a division. Kid may end up being a great leader, but at 25, he's not ready for the role yet.

The key for Sumlin (as it was for Saban) is recognizing your mistakes, learning from them, and making appropriate changes. Sumlin's two best fixes have been hiring new coordinators. Not only two guys who do their job well, but two guys who provide solid leadership for the young guys on the team. They will provide the team some needed maturity and stability. Does anybody see Mazzone or Chavis not getting full effort or preparation from their players? I don't. I also think Chavis and Mazzone will be willing to speak up and provide advice to Sumlin. The fact that Sumlin has chosen his new coordinators very wisely, is why I would be very hesitant to fire and replace him.

Just because we hire a great new HC, does not mean that we inherit coordinators as good as Mazzone and Chief. Never mind the difficulty level in installing an all new offense and defense.

Barring some type of collapse I say we give this group some time to work their system. I think it will pay off.

Or we could be like 1876er, get hysterical every season, and fire all the coaches every single year.

Which do you think would be better??
ham98
quote:
At the end of the day, it is clear that our team had a number of problems. Of course, a lot of head coaches have made mistakes in the early portion of their careers, Nick Saban being a great example.

I think the two greatest mistakes Sumlin made was running the ship a little lax and putting much too inexperienced a person in charge of the offense. I say inexperienced not just in technical knowledge but in the sense that Spav was too young to provide solid leadership. Kind of like having a 25 year old general run a division. Kid may end up being a great leader, but at 25, he's not ready for the role yet.

The key for Sumlin (as it was for Saban) is recognizing your mistakes, learning from them, and making appropriate changes. Sumlin's two best fixes have been hiring new coordinators. Not only two guys who do their job well, but two guys who provide solid leadership for the young guys on the team. They will provide the team some needed maturity and stability. Does anybody see Mazzone or Chavis not getting full effort or preparation from their players? I don't. I also think Chavis and Mazzone will be willing to speak up and provide advice to Sumlin. The fact that Sumlin has chosen his new coordinators very wisely, is why I would be very hesitant to fire and replace him.

Just because we hire a great new HC, does not mean that we inherit coordinators as good as Mazzone and Chief. Never mind the difficulty level in installing an all new offense and defense.

Barring some type of collapse I say we give this group some time to work their system. I think it will pay off.

Or we could be like 1876er, get hysterical every season, and fire all the coaches every single year.

Which do you think would be better??
that's a long winded way of saying wait till next year
Shooz in Katy
AG
Sounds like an honest assessment. However, I'm sure many of our players would disagree and point to the two 5* QBs as the ones not being "in a straight line."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.