Houston
Sponsored by

Woman Stole Package from Front Porch

35,392 Views | 214 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Some Junkie Cosmonaut
Aggie09Derek
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
More than likely stole it from that.
Pepesilvia
AG
quote:
A box full of hornets or bees would be awesome.

Pop a quick H on there first so everyone knows its a box of hornets
wessimo
AG
I don't watch always sunny but if you google "box of hornets" all you get is references to the episode.
El Mero Guero
quote:
quote:
but in general, they are useless at anything other than slapping good honest tax paying people with outrageously high fines for relatively minor infractions.

Like stealing a box of dog treats?
Theft is not a minor infraction. Dog treats is minor loot, but I guarantee she wasn't hoping to score $10 worth of dog treats with this theft. And I highly doubt she doesn't make a habit of this, stealing anything and everything boxed on peoples' porches. Realizing you're in the wrong lane and changing lanes before a stop light and getting popped for hundreds of dollars like my mom recently did is a minor infraction. Riding dirty with a one month expired registration sticker is minor. Theft of mail is often times a felony...not minor.
Ozmandius
quote:
quote:
but in general, they are useless at anything other than slapping good honest tax paying people with outrageously high fines for relatively minor infractions.

Like stealing a box of dog treats?
You keep focusing on the fact it was dog treats, but she didn't know it what it was when she stole it. It could have been an iphone or medicine for all she knew. She doesn't get credit for taking something with almost no value when she had no idea what she was stealing.

And your take on this is pretty darn short sighted. How big of a step do you think it is to go from taking something sitting on the porch, to taking something sitting in the backyard, to trying to doors to see if they are unlocked in order to see what is inside? All of these things involve taking property that isn't hers for her personal gain. And in each of these scenarios you could use deadly force to defend your property if she tried this at night. If she has done this two times before, then her taking these dog treats is a felony regardless of the value of the dog treats.

I'm not sure you could be more wrong than you currently are.

Diggity
AG
The Houston board seems to have it's own resident troll now.
Dan Scott
AG
In y'alls opinion, If police spend more time going after small crime like this vs. hiding out looking for speeders, would we be better off?
Ag_07
AG
Man you guys get worked up easily.

I realize what you're saying, but I see the fact that it was dog treats as a pretty important factor. Again, if it's just dog treats WGAS. If it's a TV then it's worth pursuing.

Kinda like if someone dings my door in a parking lot. I'm not going to waste my and others time to figure out who put a ding in my door. Now if someone keyed my car from bumper to bumper then yes I'd probably put some effort into it.

I value my time and efforts more than I value a box of treats. That changes as the value of the package increases. I just don't see this as big deal.

And I knew my opinion wouldn't be shared by many when I posted it. Hate me for it
wessimo
AG
Doesn't matter what was in the box. The lady deserves to be locked in a car with a nest of angry hornets.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Shut up, 07
Ag_07
AG
quote:
Shut up, 07

I expect more from a nice guy.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
In y'alls opinion, If police spend more time going after small crime like this vs. hiding out looking for speeders, would we be better off?

Absolutely.

Speeding isn't a big deal unless you're doing so recklessly. Merely going 75 in a 65 isn't inherently dangerous.

Thievery is.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
quote:
Shut up, 07

I expect more from a nice guy.

It's one of those oxymoronic names. Like calling a fat guy "Slim" or a little dude "Jumbo."
Jaydoug
AG
230Ag
AG
quote:
quote:

Absolutely.

Speeding isn't a big deal unless you're doing so recklessly. Merely going 75 in a 65 isn't inherently dangerous.

Thievery is.

Just out of curiousity, how is stealing something more inherently dangerous than operating a vehicle over the posted speed limit?
Put dog **** in a box and leave it out front.
Ag_07
AG
It's also ironic that the severity of the thievery/value of what is stolen is irrelevant, yet it's OK to go just 10 mph over the speed limit.

If you think stealing is stealing no matter what it is then you should be OK with tickets for going 10 mph over.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Absolutely.

Thievery is.

Just out of curiousity, how is stealing something more inherently dangerous than operating a vehicle over the posted speed limit?

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that thievery is inherently dangerous. Merely that it's something that if the police spend more time trying to stop or catch thieves for punishment society would be better off.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
It's also ironic that the severity of the thievery/value of what is stolen is irrelevant, yet it's OK to go just 10 mph over the speed limit.

If you think stealing is stealing no matter what it is then you should be OK with tickets for going 10 mph over.

Private property rights are infinitely more important than arbitrarily derived speed limits which are largely in place as a means to generate revenue for the state.
yeahtoast
AG
quote:

Jesus, shut the **** up.
Panama Red
AG
quote:

Definitely not ironic that someone this silly also doesn't know what ironic means.
Dan Scott
AG
Off topic:

When opening the page to see the last post from Mobil Is the page my default sending you the very bottom where you see the ad for anybody else?
Texaggie7nine
quote:
It's also ironic that the severity of the thievery/value of what is stolen is irrelevant
What you are not taking into account is the intent. She walked onto someone's private property and took a delivery box she thought would have valuables in it.

That is different than had she walked onto the property and taken something that she knew was pretty worthless.

If a robber goes into a store holds up the place and only gets $100 out of it, should they be punished less than had they got $10k? If they got away with it, should police just forget looking for the person since it was only $100?

7nine
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Absolutely.

Thievery is.

My bullet travels faster than a car.
Ghost91
quote:
Again, if it's just dog treats WGAS. If it's a TV then it's worth pursuing. I value my time and efforts more than I value a box of treats.

Ask the dog if HE thinks this is a big deal!!! Poor pup standin' there asking 'WTF, dad'.
strohag
AG
My puppy is a poop factory. Let me know if y'all want some packages delivered as bait.
htownag10
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Absolutely.

Thievery is.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that thievery is inherently dangerous. Merely that it's something that if the police spend more time trying to stop or catch thieves for punishment society would be better off.
Stealing and 10 mph over the speed limit is are both wrong. Hard to argue that one. If you get caught you get caught.

Maybe I'm reading what I bolded wrong, but that came across as an "OMG I got a speeding ticket. Shouldn't you be out catching thieves or muders?" If that's the case then what do you want? A cop on every corner or every doorstep. Can't predict where those will happen.
Ozmandius
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Absolutely.

Thievery is.

I'll bite. Plain vanilla thievery more inherently dangerous than a plain vanilla act speeding. Both can be more of less dangerous depending on the circumstances, but the use of deadly force is allowed to defend property. This is a common thing. Using deadly force to stop someone from speeding is rare and really only done by law enforcement. In other words, the chances you will get shot are much higher if you like to steal than if you like to speed using the example above i.e. 10 mph over the limit or a simply theft.

On top of that, society itself judges how dangerous a particular act is if you just look at the punishment associated with each crime. 10mph over the limit is always going to be a class C misdemeanor (setting aside extenuating circumstances like DWI or reckless driving). A simple theft can easily reach felony levels a bunch of different ways. For example, a 3rd theft conviction regardless of value, theft from person (i.e. purse snatching), theft where the value is greater than $1500, theft of a motor vehicle, etc.

AND the crime of theft is legally considered a crime of "moral turpitude." This means you have bad character. You can be cross examined in any court about your past crimes of moral turpitude so the jury/judge can know about your character. A theft conviction can prevent you from landing a job or cause you to lose a current one.

TLDR -- simple theft is much worse than a simple speeding according to the laws of the society we live in and common sense.
The D
AG
It blows my mind people think speeding is the same as stealing.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

quote:
Maybe I'm reading what I bolded wrong, but that came across as an "OMG I got a speeding ticket. Shouldn't you be out catching thieves or muders?" If that's the case then what do you want? A cop on every corner or every doorstep. Can't predict where those will happen.
Take your interpretations and shove em up your stupid hairy ass.

We absolutely should demand some sort of response from HPD on property crimes. Their current official policy is this: "Too ****ing bad, we don't care, but if you hound us long and persistently enough, and axe us nicely enough and say pretty please with sugar on top, we may give you a case number so you can file an insurance claim."

I'm assuming you and Ag07 are out stealing packages right now. Try not to get your commie asses rained on.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Absolutely.

Thievery is.

I'll bite. Plain vanilla thievery more inherently dangerous than a plain vanilla act speeding. Both can be more of less dangerous depending on the circumstances, but the use of deadly force is allowed to defend property. This is a common thing. Using deadly force to stop someone from speeding is rare and really only done by law enforcement. In other words, the chances you will get shot are much higher if you like to steal than if you like to speed using the example above i.e. 10 mph over the limit or a simply theft.

On top of that, society itself judges how dangerous a particular act is if you just look at the punishment associated with each crime. 10mph over the limit is always going to be a class C misdemeanor (setting aside extenuating circumstances like DWI or reckless driving). A simple theft can easily reach felony levels a bunch of different ways. For example, a 3rd theft conviction regardless of value, theft from person (i.e. purse snatching), theft where the value is greater than $1500, theft of a motor vehicle, etc.

AND the crime of theft is legally considered a crime of "moral turpitude." This means you have bad character. You can be cross examined in any court about your past crimes of moral turpitude so the jury/judge can know about your character. A theft conviction can prevent you from landing a job or cause you to lose a current one.

TLDR -- simple theft is much worse than a simple speeding according to the laws of the society we live in and common sense.

El Duke
I'm disappointed that in 2016 someone cant just enhance this pic and read the shirt. This is pitiful.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
obligatory

Texas Tea
AG
quote:

quote:
Take your interpretations and shove em up your stupid hairy ass.

We absolutely should demand some sort of response from HPD on property crimes. Their current official policy is this: "Too ****ing bad, we don't care, but if you hound us long and persistently enough, and axe us nicely enough and say pretty please with sugar on top, we may give you a case number so you can file an insurance claim."

I'm assuming you and Ag07 are out stealing packages right now. Try not to get your commie asses rained on.
Not only this, but from my experience, even if they do recover stolen property, they do not return it to the owner no matter how much you hound them.
Ag_07
AG
quote:

Hey now...I'll be glad to cut your ass off in traffic if you wanna sit there and play on your phone but I'm no thief or commie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.