What Bonfire did you build?

114,804 Views | 411 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TXAGBQ76
CrottyKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First and last.
proc
AG
87 and 88. Bonfire burned a little brighter for me, having put some hard work into cut and stack.
Billy'28
AG
Fish '82, Head Pot was in our Outfit that year, got to guard the Stack when it burned. That was the year Jackie Sherrill came down from the stack and created the 12th man kick off team. Was definitely the best and hardest Semester of my life. It took almost 4 years to balance out the grades from that first semester. The next 3 were awesome as well, but nothing beats your Fish Year bonfire.
"86,000 times higher than the highest honored graduate of tu!".........................Forget, Hell!
ecoag80
AG
76-78
Picard
AG
'96-'98

Regret not making time for '99
wtr1975
AG
I - 1 '75 - worked on '71, '72, '73, and '74
MidTnAg
AG
Worked on three Bonfires. However, my senior we did not build one. Trivia Q: What year was that?
Iced-T14
AG
2010 with the McInnis Madmen and then 2011 with Kruger
JSKolache
AG
Hotard Stack 96
OCA Cut 97
Unstack 99
Burt Macklin, FBI
AG
Bonfire '98 as a fish with Huslin' 1.
Bonfire '99 with Thunderbird 3.
Was passed down the Buttpot shortly after the collapse in case there was a Bonfire '00.

We were load outfits. I hated cut.

Served on the steering committee to try to bring it back to campus in 2002. Was very hopeful, but there was no way it was gonna happen.
Burrus86
AG
'83 Crew Chief for OCA
'84 Yellow Pot for OCA
'85 Brown Pot and Jr. Red Pot Babysitter
Predmid
AG
quote:
Worked on three Bonfires. However, my senior we did not build one. Trivia Q: What year was that?

Welll, 1963 was the year it didn't burn out of tribute to the JFK assassination.....
Burt Macklin, FBI
AG
quote:
quote:

Welll, 1963 was the year it didn't burn out of tribute to the JFK assassination.....

They still built it though. They just disassembled it instead of burning it. First year they didn't build would have been 2000.
Frag
AG
'87 - Hotard, cut and stack
WhoMp93
AG
first watched it as a HS Senior during orientation weekend at Duncan in 88.
Worked it 89,90, with First year Appelt Hall was opened. Filled with 95% fish. Tried to start a water fight with Hotard the first week of the semester and all of Northside showed up. oops.
Then moved to Wells and worked on it 91, 92.
Went back when it fell a few weekends in 97 or 98 I think with my buddy who lived in Law. (Whats Law? you know those bike racks on the other side of Simpson from the MSC?
Never took the grades hit to be a chief, but spent more hours at stack then sleeping F'n logs and running the tow line.
If my son Kyle is lucky enough to get in, would love to see him work on it. Best leadership and teamwork experience of my life.
Gig'em. Skaggs Alpha Beta for cut Breakfast.

Superdave1993
AG
90,91,92,93 CT in L2. Unload and stack outfit. Worked on stack and hauled logs many nights, surfed off a truck with buddies and two junior reds, and would break for refreshments at taco cabana between trucks after it moved to the polo fields.
brotheraggie
77-80
aggiejim70
AG
Worked on the stack with the other BQ's in '66 and '67. Me and roomie hauled logs from the cut to the stack in '68. Put on log on the stack as a senior in '69, just to be able to say I did.
ScoutBanderaAg956
AG
80 - 84
aggiejim70
AG
Worked on the stack as a BQ fish and pisshead 66 and 67. Swamped on a truck in 68. Put one log on the stack in 69 as a senior just to say I did.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
DeadCiv
AG
'79-'82. Head Civilian in '82. Class of '83
SpiDer2008
AG
Good thread - dad was HMFIC '84 which was 83 bonfire - Cotton was his dad. Wanted me to ask if Civilian was big Al - Hack's dad? Still talks about when pots passed n cing Coach Sherrill expression when handle broke on him n had to repeat.
DeadCiv
AG
Yeah, that was me.
drmwvr
AG
First off, the 20/20 show hit me harder than I thought it would as I was almost 7 years out of A&M when bonfire fell.

I attended bonfire since I was a small child (dad was Class of '55) and attended A&M from fall of '88 to spring of '93. As a fish in the corps, my fish buddies and I had the honor of performing "fish-wrap" where we ceremoniously connected the spliced center pole among other activities. Our outfit was an unload unit so that was a lot of fun since we didn't have to get up early and Duncan field was just a few minutes walk away from our dorm. I went to cut every year I was at A&M and because we had yellow and red pots in our outfit, I was able spend time all over the stack during build.

Spider69
AG
'65 Spider D; center pole hole guard; center pole guard; cut (actually just f****** logs; food wars with air craps; & wrestling pissheads; guarding campus memorials)

'66 Spider D; cut (actually just f****** logs; food wars with air craps; & wrestling fish)

'67 Spider D; cut (actually swinging axes; directing air crap food wars)

'68 Spider D; cut (leadership; log riding & leading)

1965-1968, I don't remember anybody wearing a pot at cut! First Batt (A-1, B-1, C-1, & D-1) were bonfire perimeter guards before the lighting.

'97 D-2 father-son cut

'98 D-2 father-son cut

'99 D-2 father-son cut

1965 & 1966 riding to cut on a flat bed 18 wheeler trailer in locked arms

My son, '01 D-2 Buttpot, took a heavy load with a lost D-2 fish, Lucas Kimmel '03 (RIP T&P)!

Beat the hell out of tu!
DeadCiv
AG
quote:

Food wars

1965 & 1966 riding to cut on a flat bed 18 wheeler trailer in locked arms

Both of these lasted well into the 80's. The truck ride was always epic, especially for the fish.

And I'll never forget the great Orange War of '82. The Admin was concerned about safety, so we removed the fruit and put in donuts. Which of course lead the the Great Donut War of '82

davido
AG
94, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99

Moore Hall Truckers #BMF42
Old Man Pot '96

I made it out to Student Bonfire for the first time in remembrance of a dorm mate who recently passed. We had a lot of good times out there. His older brother was my Bonfire Dad. I'm looking forward to getting more involved again next year. They've done a good job carrying the torch out there.
Whens lunch
AG
'69-'72. '69 Fish year tallest at 109'

Outfit cut all 4 years. Volunteered at stack for whatever was needed. Never on stack, though.
Hullabaloo19
What Bonfire did you build: 16 and getting ready for next season!

Hullabaloo, One Helluva Crew!
Drill Pot '17

How did you get involved: I was friends with a girl named *****crux freshman year. She found Hullabaloo spring semester freshman year and was trying to convince me to come out to cut so we could be fish buddies. My initial thought was heck no! This girl is crazy if she thinks that I am waking up at 5 a.m. on a Sunday. I promised her I would go out once and the rest is history.
MidTnAg
AG
My class did not build one our senior year.
JamesScruggs97
AG
Law Hall 93-94
Yellow Pot 94
Moved into Hart for 95 when Law got condemned then retired so I could work on graduating
CharlieBrown17
AG
'13
'14
'15
'16
'17

Class of '17 that took an extra lap
ChAg1799
AG
'95, '96, '97, and '98...

Challenger 17... one of my favorite experiences while on campus.
FrontPorchAg
98, 99
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
aeon-ag
LOAD 2002 said:

former students:

what year(s) were you out there building bonfire?
who did you build it with?
were you a chief? pot? or just red ass?
and when did you realize that cut sucks and the real work was done at load?

current students:

what off campus bonfires did you help build?
how did you get involved?
1969-on campus

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.