*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

348,597 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RPM said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

except it was an "S" on the signage.

redline248
AG
redline248 said:

What if:

The memory Teddy has of Wyatt shooting the general is really of Dolores shooting Arnold?

Also, when current Dolores was walking into the office area below the church, those bodies had to be hosts left over from (what I assume was) a robot uprising. Why the hell wouldn't the park have ever cleaned that up?

Brian, you weren't the only one!

...and I beat you by 6 pages!
dave94
AG
I didn't recall that ever being a discussion point for GOT. Here on Texags?
mhayden
I think it's far more likely that Hopkins wasn't going to sign on to do multiple season of a television show. My guess is that's it for him.
3rdGen2015
AG
The best part about this finale was that with the way they treated it, the season turned out to be about the hosts and the journey they have taken since the park opened and ultimately not about the mystery of the story line. It was beautifully done and I can't wait for 2018!
AliasMan02
AG
Truly great season finale to a great show. Wiped the narrative slate pretty clean so they have tons of freedom going forward. The season grounded us emotionally in the struggle of the Hosts so that when the real story comes around, meaning the revolution, we are invested with the Hosts as the main characters.

Really great.
AliasMan02
AG
dave94 said:

I've never heard that either, anywhere. Given the type of show it is, that would make no sense.

I think Ford's sacrifice/penance was real.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good call.

Still no explanation for those dead bodies in the hallway, right?
Al Bula
AG
I'm glad something finally happened with the cold storage hosts. When you have a room full of malfunctioning robots, it would be a waste to not have them revolt.

I guess I'm ok with Maeve's story now seeing how she was programmed all along to attempt to escape and create a diversion to distract the QA teams while the cold storage hosts got out. Had she let Bernard continue with his explanation of her Escape narrative I bet he would have told her she was programmed to come back to the park.
TCTTS
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

free_mhayden said:

Could certainly see it coming with the way Ford seemed unaffected by the board forcing him out, the MiB wanting it "to be real" and the cold storage army... But even seeing it coming, they did it very well.

My only question -- does Maeve leaving the train and going back show that she still hasn't completely evolved yet since she was about to see the outside world and chose to go back for her "daughter"?

I took it to mean that she was actually overriding her code
Exactly. She finally made a decision that was all her own. One based around suffering and trying to correct it, no less.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The thing that bothers me a bit is how everything went perfectly to plan for Ford. How can he possibly have known Maeve would try escape at the exact same time as the gala with the board?

And why was he suddenly cool with Bernard again? Guessing his death was also part of the narrative, but again, how could he possibly have known they'd find him in that room?
YellowPot_97
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The thing that bothers me a bit is how everything went perfectly to plan for Ford. How can he possibly have known Maeve would try escape at the exact same time as the gala with the board?
because he programmed her to
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
AliasMan02 said:

dave94 said:

I've never heard that either, anywhere. Given the type of show it is, that would make no sense.

I think Ford's sacrifice/penance was real.

well you can google it...yes it is out there...as for discussion on texags i don't know i've discussed the show in a lot of places really but i think it was (i mean somewhere over 6 seasons - and of course we have the spoilers or the non-spoilers ie book readers or non book readers threads so there is a lot of different GOT talk).

but the point wasn't really that part - whether he is really dead...it was simply that a major character died at the end of season 1
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

But the plan involved Felix's help. How did he know he'd go along with everything, much less that the rebuild would be at that exact time?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

yeah that was pretty clear when he was showing her that her every action was in her programming...getting the other hosts, the escape, going to the train, etc...she got mad and smashed the e tablet thing and said no it as her choices..clearly it wasn't..
E.KingTrill
So, wait... Bruce Willis was a robot the whole time?
TCTTS
AG
Overall, I'm pretty sure I got the gist of it, but just so I'm/we're clear...

- Arnold thought Dolores had achieved true consciousness, but she really hadn't.

- Arnold had Dolores kill him because he was still suffering too much from the loss of his son / realized there was no way out for the hosts. (This is the one I'm not quite clear on.)

- Either way, it was when Arnold died, and Ford suffered the loss of his partner/friend, that he realized suffering was what truly lead to consciousness. So he set in motion a 35-year narrative of sorts, in that the hosts would suffer time and again and eventually achieve true consciousness, which is what we saw both Dolores and Maeve achieve in those final moments.

- In other words, it turns out that Ford *did* care about the freedom of the hosts all along, and this was plan to set them free.

Am I close?
tk for tu juan
Will this be the Season 2 plot: The Lost World: Jurassic Park Synopsis?
3rdGen2015
AG
TCTTS said:

- Arnold thought Dolores had achieved true consciousness, but she really hadn't.

- Arnold had Dolores kill him because he was still suffering too much from the loss of his son / realized there was no way out for the hosts. (This is the one I'm not quite clear on.)

- Either way, it was when Arnold died, and Ford suffered the loss of his partner/friend, that he realized suffering was what truly lead to consciousness. So he set in motion a 35-year narrative of sorts, in that the hosts would suffer time and again and eventually achieve true consciousness, which is what we saw Dolores achieve in those final moments.

- In other words, it turns out that Ford *did* care about the freedom of the hosts all along, and this was plan to set them free.

Am I close?

That's what I got too. Arnold had Dolores kill him in attempts to keep the park from opening and, in turn, to keep the guests from harming the hosts.

I love that Ford was actually a protagonist though, I wonder how much knowing that will change a season rewatch.
TCTTS
AG
Nice. Good point about Arnold having Dolores kill him to both try and keep the park from opening and keep the guests from harming the hosts.

And yeah, I love the new light it paints on Ford. Probably my single favorite thing about the finale.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, the scene where MIB says the maze "revealed itself to him" when killing Maeve's daughter and seeing her suffer, still doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

If he knew the maze was simply the hosts achieving consciousness, why was he still looking for the maze?
TCTTS
AG
Still curious about why Ford thought he had to die. Other than it being a symbolic gesture on the part of Dolores, she could have technically killed anyone to achieve her sentience. And yes, Ford knew he was being pushed out by the board, but why the public death other than for theatrics? I guess I'm just trying to find a tangible meaning for it.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

If he knew the maze was simply the hosts achieving consciousness, why was he still looking for the maze?

I don't think he ever really knew this, unless I missed something.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

- Either way, it was when Arnold died, and Ford suffered the loss of his partner/friend, that he realized suffering was what truly lead to consciousness. So he set in motion a 35-year narrative of sorts, in that the hosts would suffer time and again and eventually achieve true consciousness, which is what we saw both Dolores and Maeve achieve in those final moments.

Am I close?

yes...with the exception that I don't think Maeve was experiencing that at all...only Dolores.

Dolores is the oldest host as we know and suffered the most and is the first to achieve consciousness.

Maeve I believe was still controlled by programming as shown in the control center when Felix showed her that her every action was actually in her programming that had been scripted and changed. Now I'm not 100% sure about her action leaving the train - was that programming or was that finally a choice??? But I think it was all programming...her story was simply to set the distraction in effect for the security detail so that Ford could wipe out the board at the little party.

So I don't think they are all conscious or free...only Dolores. But others will get there as it continues...I suppose Ford had a plan to replace board members with hosts??? to continue the WW as they evolved and then achieve that consciousness.....I guess we shall see.
LostAg
What was Charlotte's plan with Old Man Abernathy in cold storage and what was the "important" job the narrative writer was sent to do when he realized they were all gone?
Dro07
AG
Still don't think the MIB is Willlliam!!!! /Claym711
Independent George
AG
He was suppose to put Abernathy on the train.
Dro07
AG
I thought they were able to get Abernathy off world?
YellowPot_97
AG
wonder what happened to the head security guy that was grabbed by the ghost nation indians.
G Martin 87
AG
LostAg said:

What was Charlotte's plan with Old Man Abernathy in cold storage and what was the "important" job the narrative writer was sent to do when he realized they were all gone?
Wide open for Season 2.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

wonder what happened to the head security guy that was grabbed by the ghost nation indians.
he's still rowing the boat.
TCTTS
AG
As we try to piece all this together, if there's one thing I am sure of - as if I wasn't before - it's that the Nolan brothers are officially mind**** cinema geniuses. Seriously...

- Memento
- The Prestige
- Inception
- Interstellar
- Westworld

... all feature some of the trippiest timeline work we've ever seen put to film, and always to jaw dropping effect.

That, and they still do "endings" better than just about anyone in the business. What a great finale tonight. It wasn't always the most empathetic journey this season, but that last ten minutes made up for every shortcoming along the way. Just a note-perfect way to go out, and they somehow still managed to surprise us.

Cannot wait for 2018.
Dro07
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

I am going to say he was killed. I want to say that those Indians were coded to be able to kill
G Martin 87
AG
TCTTS said:

Still curious about why Ford thought he had to die. Other than it being a symbolic gesture on the part of Dolores, she could have technically killed anyone to achieve her sentience. And yes, Ford knew he was being pushed out by the board, but why the public death other than for theatrics? I guess I'm just trying to find a tangible meaning for it.
Part of his plan seems to have been to kill the board to cause chaos and hand over control of the park to Delores. Can't very well remain alive in that case.
TCTTS
AG
Makes sense. I can buy that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.