*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

348,591 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
bayouaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Hopkins is using Harris right now IMO."

I wondered this also....what if Hopkins(Ford) is looking for something that he knows Arnold left in Westworld as a clue on the hosts. The secret to their own awareness, some code that unlocks a bank account with a gazillion dollars entrusted , who knows? Ford is letting MIB solve the riddle and find it for him then he can kill him later.

Regarding the storylines, I'm in the William=MIB camp for now. I like the post above noting how maybe Dolores becomes self aware and falls in love with William, then they wipe her clean and she's a programmed damsel again. This sends MIB off the deep end and once he finds out there is something lying within the park (left by Arnold), he is hellbent on figuring it out. Maybe he wants to "unlock" Dolores to make her the person that fell in love with him again.
NoHo Hank
AG
bobinator said:

I don't get why people have decided what the themes/morals/etc of the show should be. Maybe let the show finish telling its story first?

Why would you decide the direction the show is going? I would argue themes are typically more easily understood than plot, so if you were to guess at one of them... And they aren't exactly hiding the ball here.

At what point do the things we create start to have meaning beyond what we impart on them?
In a world without consequence, is there moral responsibility?

Those are clearly the themes of the show thus far.

As to the position it is taking on each, that is less obvious. William is one extreme, the mib the other. The obvious response is to say that William is the good guy, but does cruelty absent consequence actually matter? The mib doesn't think so; you are led to believe he is an icon of virtue outside the world. Then again, he doesn't have the full picture.

I just don't see how evolving William into him makes sense thematically or narratively.
schmendeler
AG
Who's the greyhound? The man in black? Ford? Delores? Bernard?
ce1994
AG
john:

Hitler and Stalin both studied to be priests. As it stands now I do not think MIB has done anything to anyone other than hosts so his actions have no consequences. William let his friend die. That has consequence.

As strange as this sounds it is as if William is in another timeline prior to the present day one. The talk of them investing in the park and the MIB being so familiar with Delores,

This show is certainly hard to follow. With Game of Thrones you knew what their ultimate motives are. Westworld is harder to figure.
ce1994
AG
I saw on this thread just now someone else thinks there are two different timelines.
R0GUE
AG
ce1994 said:

john:

Hitler and Stalin both studied to be priests. As it stands now I do not think MIB has done anything to anyone other than hosts so his actions have no consequences. William let his friend die. That has consequence.

As strange as this sounds it is as if William is in another timeline prior to the present day one. The talk of them investing in the park and the MIB being so familiar with Delores,

This show is certainly hard to follow. With Game of Thrones you knew what their ultimate motives are. Westworld is harder to figure.

Who says William let his friend die? The hosts can rough people up but they still can't kill a real person.
ce1994
AG
I thought they were not able to hurt anyone, not even a fly. They are outside that area. Those hosts killed his friend I would suspect.
R0GUE
AG
ce1994 said:

I thought they were not able to hurt anyone, not even a fly. They are outside that area. Those hosts killed his friend I would suspect.

No, no. So this is where the two timelines comes in again. If you recall Logan himself says the robots can punch, hurt, people within reason, but they still can't kill.

But in the later timeline, they've changed the rules. Now the hosts can't hurt anyone at all.
Breggy Popup
AG
R0GUE said:

ce1994 said:

john:

Who says William let his friend die? The hosts can rough people up but they still can't kill a real person.

It will be interesting to see the fate of Logan. IF he dies this has to be the incident in question. Also don't forget earlier in the episode the soldier was choking him and not stopping.
ce1994
AG
Reading this thread has enhanced my enjoyment of the show quite a bit. I must admit it has confused me several times.
Clem
I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but what if the device found in the forearm of the stargazer is not for sending data, but instead, is primarily for receiving data. I believe in the show they thought it was an attempt to steal data, but I'm wondering if it is the mechanism for hearing the voices in their heads.

Sort of like this...

If that is a big reveal at the end of an episode, I really want it to fade out while playing Ray Stevens.
TCTTS
AG
I would be absolutely, 100% convinced of the two-timeline theory after last night if not for the scene were Delores gets caught up in the Day of the Dead festival/parade (or whatever that is), someone whispers her go-to-sleep phrase, and then she's suddenly with Ford/Hopkins back at headquarters.

Last week I argued FOR the two-timeline theory for almost this exact same scenario - when Delores stumbles upon William and Logan at night at the end of episode three, the first scene of episode four is her back at headquarters with Bernard, and then the next time we see her she's back with William and Logan the next morning. I argued that it was too unbelievable that park employees could come pick her up in the middle of the night at a campfire without William and Logan noticing, and thus the scene with her and Bernard at headquarters was likely from a different timeline.

But in last night's episode someone specifically put her in sleep mode - something we didn't see last time - and it would have been much easier for park employees to come pick her up that night during all that parade commotion without William and Logan noticing. And the very next scene is Delores with Ford/Hopkins, seemingly pointing toward a single / the same timeline.

That said, again, nearly EVERYTHING else is starting to point toward a two-timeline theory, but I haven't seen anyone address that particular scene yet. My only theory is that if that parade scene was in the past, that maybe Arnold or someone else gave her that sleep command, for whatever reason (maybe to instill the last bit of coding needed to cause her damsel-to-hero change), and then the Delores/Ford scene was in the present, just using the same editing trick that was employed earlier.

Thoughts?
TCTTS
AG
And for the record, if the story of this first season really is...

- William is a do-gooder push-over who gets a promotion at a major corporation / comes to Westworld to discover his true self.

- Meets Delores, falls for her damsel-to-hero plight / wants her to be free.

- Journeys with Delores to the maze, but just before unlocking whatever ultimate truth/secret/freedom, is thwarted and Delores is reset, made to loop for years on end again.

- William returns to the park 30 years later (if not also a few times in between) to finish what he started. But is potentially a pawn by Ford this time to get back to the maze for whatever reason.

... that's a pretty f-ing cool story, and a hell of an achievement if both stories are being told simultaneously. Honestly, the more I think about it, the more that almost has to be it. There's just no other reason to be putting this much focus on William, who would ultimately rather be a fairly inconsequential figure for all this time spent on him, if he didn't turn out to be the MiB. That, and I've said this before, but all this corporation / foundation talk between Logan/William, and then with the MiB, just can't be coincidental. This park has to change William in some way in that when he gets back to the real world, he's a new man with a new mission, rises through the ranks of the corporation/foundation, all the time either motived by his experience and/or is plotting his return to the park. It just makes so much sense.

I sense that in episode eight or nine, we're either going to learn that the MiB's real name is William, or William and Logan are going to meet a young Ford/Hopkins. Either way, the set up so far is just too good for a surprise like that not to happen.
NoHo Hank
AG
TCTTS said:

I would be absolutely, 100% convinced of the two-timeline theory after last night if not for the scene were Delores gets caught up in the Day of the Dead festival/parade (or whatever that is), someone whispers her go-to-sleep phrase, and then she's suddenly with Ford/Hopkins back at headquarters.

Last week I argued FOR the two-timeline theory for almost this exact same scenario - when Delores stumbles upon William and Logan at night at the end of episode three, the first scene of episode four is her back at headquarters with Bernard, and then the next time we see her she's back with William and Logan the next morning. I argued that it was too unbelievable that park employees could come pick her up in the middle of the night at a campfire without William and Logan noticing, and thus the scene with her and Bernard at headquarters was likely from a different timeline.

But in last night's episode someone specifically put her in sleep mode - something we didn't see last time - and it would have been much easier for park employees to come pick her up that night during all that parade commotion without William and Logan noticing. And the very next scene is Delores with Ford/Hopkins, seemingly pointing toward a single / the same timeline.

That said, again, nearly EVERYTHING else is starting to point toward a two-timeline theory, but I haven't seen anyone address that particular scene yet. My only theory is that if that parade scene was in the past, that maybe Arnold or someone else gave her that sleep command, for whatever reason (maybe to instill the last bit of coding needed to cause her damsel-to-hero change), and then the Delores/Ford scene was in the present, just using the same editing trick that was employed earlier.

Thoughts?
I go back and forth. I think it is more likely that there are two timelines that are close but not fully overlapping but in the scene you reference, Delores gets pulled by techs who you can hear whisper "until then may you dream a dreamless sleep" or whatever the trigger is that puts them to sleep. Then she does wake up in Ford's company. Could be two different times in which she is interacting with Ford, but there's no evidence that suggests that's the case - it isn't a sleight of hand, it's just deliberately obfuscating things.

Here's another scene that makes me think the timelines are close. When the MIB talks to Teddy, he says, "I cut you open once, you used to be a million pieces, all beautifully assembled, but then they made you more human like on the inside. It was cheaper." The gist of the conversation was the hosts used to be more basic. You have 3 conversations now - 1) between Old Bill the bartender and Ford (2 conversations there really), 2) with Sizemore saying they keep making the robots more sophisticated, and 3) with the MIB talking to Teddy, all of which indicate that when the park opened, no one confused the hosts with real humans. That is clearly happening with William. The only reason Logan isn't treating it that way is because he is desensitized to the whole thing, and can't see what a new comer would - the robots look, feel, and act like humans now.

And when ya think about it, that's one of the central themes of the show. Again, going back to the greeter host, "if you can't tell, what difference does it make?" A new comer sees the host as basically autonomous humans and treats them as such. Yet, if someone is telling you it is okay, giving you permission to bend the rules, you'll treat the hosts like *****

It honestly reminds me of Lord of the Flies - people are basically ****ty creatures, and absent civilization telling them what they can and can't do, they become awful - civilization creates moral responsibility.

And for that reason, I just don't buy the two timeline theory - it is only in the "modern" timeline that those questions exist (where there would be a reasonable doubt about the actually morality of your actions) and yet that's what William, Logan, the MIB, Maeve, and everyone else seem to be going through.

If there are two timelines interacting, I hope they can explain that plot hole.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

And for the record, if the story of this first season really is...

- William is a do-gooder push-over who gets a promotion at a major corporation / comes to Westworld to discover his true self.

- Meets Delores, falls for her damsel-to-hero plight / wants her to be free.

- Journeys with Delores to the maze, but just before unlocking whatever ultimate truth/secret/freedom, is thwarted and Delores is reset, made to loop for years on end again.

- William returns to the park 30 years later (if not also a few times in between) to finish what he started. But is potentially a pawn by Ford this time to get back to the maze for whatever reason.

... that's a pretty f-ing cool story, and a hell of an achievement if both stories are being told simultaneously. Honestly, the more I think about it, the more that almost has to be it. There's just no other reason to be putting this much focus on William, who would ultimately rather be a fairly inconsequential figure for all this time spent on him, if he didn't turn out to be the MiB. That, and I've said this before, but all this corporation / foundation talk between Logan/William, and then with the MiB, just can't be coincidental. This park has to change William in some way in that when he gets back to the real world, he's a new man with a new mission, rises through the ranks of the corporation/foundation, all the time either motived by his experience and/or is plotting his return to the park. It just makes so much sense.

I sense that in episode eight or nine, we're either going to learn that the MiB's real name is William, or William and Logan are going to meet a young Ford/Hopkins. Either way, the set up so far is just too good for a surprise like that not to happen.

If true, you know what this kind of reminds me of? True Detective season one. Except if the interviews in the present were somehow being presented as if they were in the same time period as the rest of the story. Either way, I loved how that two-timeline structure made the show feel so incredibly epic. Rust and Marty set out to find the killer, only to be thwarted and broken apart. But then they band together 20 or so years later to finish what the started. All told in this interweaving format that was just so cool and inventive. I'm really starting to get that same vibe here and I'm absolutely loving it.
JJxvi
AG
Dolores is caught in a loop where shes still involved in the same thing. Back then and now. Working for Arnold (and presumably any other allies he has) and now working with Bernard. Shes got memory issues in both because of the groundhog day elements of their loops.
TCTTS
AG
That's a good point, but almost less exciting to me in a way, if true.
claym711
AG
First 5 mins of first episode MIB tells Delores "I've been coming here for 30 years". It wouldn't make much sense that MIB has been going for 30 years and hasn't made any progress towards finding the maze if he is the white hat guy Delores is with in current timeline.
TCTTS
AG
Who's to say he hasn't made progress in that time? I've always thought that this latest go-around we're seeing with the MiB is the result of him attempting dead-ends and finding new clues with every visit.
NoHo Hank
AG
TCTTS said:

That's a good point, but almost less exciting to me in a way, if true.
We'll see. The thing I find so engaging about the show is how fully it makes the world feel. Between the acting and the writing, the park just feels every bit as epic as they want it to. Couple that scale with the hosts becoming aware, what that'll mean for the park goers, etc. and I'm hooked. I think it does a good job of exploring the morality of it from both sides. It isn't quite as cut and dry for park goers as William makes it seem, yet its obvious Logan's actions have consequences he doesn't understand. I'm hoping they weave all this into the conversation Sizemore had - this park is one thing to the guests, another to the employees, and a third to the shareholders. What is the ultimate purpose of the park? I think we'll start to see that as the MIB, Delores, and others get closer to the center of the maze.

Throw in the fact that you basically have Ford, who is John Hammond had nothing gone wrong with a god complex bigger than the park, playing his own game with long dead Arnold, the fact the guests and the hosts are just game pieces getting moved around the board, and I'm fascinated to see how it'll play out.

The parallel timelines may work, but I hope that the MIB isn't William - I just don't see right now how that would fit.
claym711
AG
I certainly think the blunt/rude corporate lady is the sister of the guy whose company is going to buy the park.
claym711
AG
Also FWIW 2 of the first recognizable songs were Black Hole Sun and Paint it Black
AliasMan02
AG
A tidbit from this week's episode will tell for sure if the show is in two timelines or not. The MiB clearly says that when he started coming to the park, the Hosts were mechanical, not synthetic flesh and bone. I don't think he means mechanical like Bill, but full of tiny mechanical parts, like he said.

So far we have not had any indication of that in William's story, but it hasn't been disproven, either.
agchino
AG
I think we can rule out that the park is underwater with the satcom plot. Still leaves in the Mars/not Earth theory though.
Bunk Moreland
AliasMan02 said:

A tidbit from this week's episode will tell for sure if the show is in two timelines or not. The MiB clearly says that when he started coming to the park, the Hosts were mechanical, not synthetic flesh and bone. I don't think he means mechanical like Bill, but full of tiny mechanical parts, like he said.

So far we have not had any indication of that in William's story, but it hasn't been disproven, either.

Wasn't Dolores ripping her skin up when she saw the psychic? I felt like that was teasing us that she knew (or had previously known).

Honestly, I'll be slightly annoyed if they go 2 time-line angle. You have a classic protagonist antagonist storyline all set to meet in the middle of the maze.

William vs MIB. And then the ultimate play of teddy going after William until finding out he didn't kidnap Dolores, who ultimately helps William win.

Then finish the season with a crazy twist regarding the maze, or what's at the end of it. Maybe a hatch?
TAZ99
AG
claym711 said:

Also FWIW 2 of the first recognizable songs were Black Hole Sun and Paint it Black
Also, Nine Inch Nails "Something I Can Never Have" played during tMIB and Ford's conversation.
bangobango
AG
I have to admit, if they go with two timelines thirty years apart, the thing that is going to annoy me the most is that they showed that bartender obviously being fake and then they showed all the other hosts looking exactly these thirty years ago as they do today. That's cheating, really.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Time for this week's tl;dw.

TCTTS
AG
Yeah, that seems to be the big deal breaker. But have they ever said that the park *opened* 30 years ago? I honestly can't remember. If it's two timelines, what if it's something like:

- 40 years ago: Westworld opens w/ less life-like robots
- 35 years ago: Westworld makes the switch to more life-like robots
- 30 years ago: William & Logan show up

I'm betting there's a line of dialogue or historical mention that throws that timeline off, but just curious. Didn't Delores say in this episode that she last talked to Arnold 34 years ago? Or did she say 37? Either way, she's older than the 30-year mark that keeps being mentioned, and it's been implied that her body/mechanics have evolved over that time.
bangobango
AG
Couple of Hopkins/Ford lines with Dolores that jumped out to me:

In response to Dolores saying she was in a dream "You're in my dream."

Then

Ford: "Do you remember the man I used to be?"

D: "I'm sorry, I'm forgetful sometimes."

F: "Hardly your fault, but I'm sure you can remember him... Arnold. The person who created you."
3rdGen2015
AG
On the age of the park and hosts:

Logan said that the co-founder killed himself just before the park was set to open.

The conversation after the Skeleton Parade between Ford and Dolores revealed that Arnold died 34 years and change from Old Ford time.

In the flashback scene of Young Ford, he said that the first three years was just innovation, no corporate or businessmen.

From this, I think it's safe to say that the absolute oldest a host can be is 40 years.
PooDoo
AG
If there are 2 timelines... Dolores and William or Logan must discover the maze. Now the MiB is the one of the two trying to get back there years later. That would also make Dr. Narcise a host, right?

Did anyone else think Logan was happy William didn't try to save him? I thought he smirked like he was happy William finally became immersed in the park. In fact, I'd find Logan the more believable MiB because he seems like he's really into the game aspect of the park. I just don't see William coming back and roughing up Dolores in the barn.

I do think the revolution El Guapo is talking about is against the humans and human protecting hosts. Like a slave uprising where the field slaves kill the masters and the house slaves.

I also think that Ford killed Arnold.
TCTTS
AG
I could see William dying somehow, before they reach the maze, and that changing Logan just a bit. Becomes an assh*le with a purpose, instead of just an assh*le, and it obviously still fits in with the corporation/foundation connection. And yeah, Logan roughing up Delores in the barn does make a bit more sense.

That said, we're obviously watching William slowly change in the midst of a character arc, and there has to be a reason for that. Given enough time and years, I could see him becoming this hardened old man immune to the charms of the park, and even Delores.
Centerpole90
AG
I just got to finish this episode last night, so I've got about 3 pages of reading this thread to catch up on.

However, just in case it hasn't been mentioned already - but the more we see of Dolores -

Definitely WB.
claym711
AG
Logan definitely had a smirk/smile when William abandoned him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.