*** WESTWORLD Season 1 (HBO) ***

348,598 Views | 2710 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
Skinny Wrinkles
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bangobango said:

Probably already mentioned, but Teddy lights those axe murderers up with his gun at the end and they all barely flinch. So, I guess the implication is that five or six guests decided to join a murdering cult?

That's my guess.
mhayden
I think you guys are reading too much into "if they are shot and don't die then they must be guests".

It was mentioned for the storyline that his followers don't feel pain -- I think the assumption should be that they were designed that way for this specific storyline.
bobinator
AG
I think either that, or that specifically bullets from hosts can't hurt them. Like I said earlier in the thread, I didn't notice whether or not the lady actually hit anyone, but perhaps they have to be killed by guests. Hosts can only help them up to a certain point, and then you have to complete the journey on your own.

But yeah, that line of "they don't feel pain, they keep coming" or whatever was clearly a tie-in to that.
MW03
AG
Here's a question regarding the Wyatt story line...

Writer guy wants to introduce Odyssey on Red River which Dr. Ford shuts down because it is nothing but cheap thrills. He says:

Quote:

"They come back because of the subtleties. The details. They come back because they discover something they imagine no one had ever noticed before. Something they fall in love with. They're not looking for a story that tells them who they are. They already know who they are. They're here because they want a glimpse of who they could be."

Then Dr. Ford gives Teddy a backstory about Wyatt, and presumably introduces the Wyatt story line into the park.

So what do you guys think Ford's agenda is behind the Wyatt story line? Could it be that Wyatt does actually recruit park guests to become part of his terrible posse? It seems incongruent for Ford to simply introduce a more difficult round of bosses to make that short story arch more terrifying for the guest.
bobinator
AG
I love a good wild speculation or theory as much as the next person, but I just simply don't think we know enough about the Wyatt situation yet to even begin guessing. I don't anyway, it could literally be almost anything. Dude could effectively have superpowers for all we know.
MW03
AG
I do think it was interesting that they didn't use guns once they had them surrounded, considering the comment the field tech said about how "the only thing keeping them from hacking us to pieces is a single line of your code" or whatever.
AtlAg05
AG
The could go the whole inception route, the west is the first layer, but the command center is the second. Guests can play cowboy or be a park employee for a day that oversees the park for other guests.

The big reveal will be some kid playing Westworld Tycoon on his PC.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
MW03 said:

Here's a question regarding the Wyatt story line...

Writer guy wants to introduce Odyssey on Red River which Dr. Ford shuts down because it is nothing but cheap thrills. He says:

Quote:

"They come back because of the subtleties. The details. They come back because they discover something they imagine no one had ever noticed before. Something they fall in love with. They're not looking for a story that tells them who they are. They already know who they are. They're here because they want a glimpse of who they could be."

Then Dr. Ford gives Teddy a backstory about Wyatt, and presumably introduces the Wyatt story line into the park.

So what do you guys think Ford's agenda is behind the Wyatt story line? Could it be that Wyatt does actually recruit park guests to become part of his terrible posse? It seems incongruent for Ford to simply introduce a more difficult round of bosses to make that short story arch more terrifying for the guest.

Btw, that whole scene w/ Ford giving Teddy that backstory for some reason drew parallels for me to Bernard and his story about his son. It just all felt very scripted which essentially sealed it for me that Bernard is a host.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Breggy Popup
AG
Anagrammatic Nudist said:

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

3rdGen2015 said:

bobinator said:

In fact, until the last scene, this episode almost looked like it was running backwards for her. She digs up a gun, then she has a gun in her dresser, then she pulls the gun off of the outlaw guy. Seems like the natural order would have been, get the gun, hide it in the house, bury the evidence. To be fair, I didn't notice the details enough to see if this is the same gun, but I assume it is.
That's something straight out of Memento right there. Props for coming up with a real theory that I haven't even seen on Reddit.
Interesting take. Wonder who wrote the original short story for that film....
And how about that line from TMIB to Delores: "Let's re-acquaint ourselves... starting with the end".

Definitely something to all this.

TMIB said "starting from the beginning" both times he delivered the line. Just watched it and rewound several times to make sure.
AliasMan02
AG
Ford's storyline won't be just tougher encounters and more blood and guts. It will be psychological and evocative. Can't wait.
Goldie Wilson
3rdGen2015 said:

bobinator said:

In fact, until the last scene, this episode almost looked like it was running backwards for her. She digs up a gun, then she has a gun in her dresser, then she pulls the gun off of the outlaw guy. Seems like the natural order would have been, get the gun, hide it in the house, bury the evidence. To be fair, I didn't notice the details enough to see if this is the same gun, but I assume it is.
That's something straight out of Memento right there. Props for coming up with a real theory that I haven't even seen on Reddit.
My theory on this: She stole the gun from chops in a previous iteration of this narrative. She then buries the gun, digs it up after the world has been reset, and hides it for herself in the haystack for the next time chops attacks her in the barn. Her facial expression when she's laying on the haystack is more of a "holy **** I just found a gun in this haystack" than a "I just stole a gun from chops." I was confused at first about chops looking down at his (presumably empty) holster, but then I think it's just a flicker of Delores's memory from the previous time that she stole his gun -- in much the same vain as the face of her dead dad was flickering between the two hosts.
JJxvi
AG
Wasn't it said that the host that played her Dad previously was leader of some kind of cannibal cult in the wilderness similar to this Wyatt thing?
Liquid Wrench
AtlAg05 said:

The could go the whole inception route, the west is the first layer, but the command center is the second. Guests can play cowboy or be a park employee for a day that oversees the park for other guests.

The big reveal will be some kid playing Westworld Tycoon on his PC.

bangobango
AG
Dan 07 said:

3rdGen2015 said:

bobinator said:

My theory on this: She stole the gun from chops in a previous iteration of this narrative. She then buries the gun, digs it up after the world has been reset, and hides it for herself in the haystack for the next time chops attacks her in the barn. Her facial expression when she's laying on the haystack is more of a "holy **** I just found a gun in this haystack" than a "I just stole a gun from chops." I was confused at first about chops looking down at his (presumably empty) holster, but then I think it's just a flicker of Delores's memory from the previous time that she stole his gun -- in much the same vain as the face of her dead dad was flickering between the two hosts.
This is what I thought, that she buried the gun there from a previous loop. That she is essentially leaving herself clues and items to help her survive. Which is also very Memento like.

I didn't understand the gun in the dresser and then disappearing (flashback, maybe?) and I don't understand him looking down at his belt after he sees the gun (because he recognizes it as his, maybe?).
bangobango
AG
free_mhayden said:

I think you guys are reading too much into "if they are shot and don't die then they must be guests".

It was mentioned for the storyline that his followers don't feel pain -- I think the assumption should be that they were designed that way for this specific storyline.
There is not feeling pain and then there is getting shot with a gun from point blank range and not even flinching. Seems the physics alone would cause them to at least take a step back.
mhayden
bangobango said:

free_mhayden said:

There is not feeling pain and then there is getting shot with a gun from point blank range and not even flinching. Seems the physics alone would cause them to at least take a step back.

Which would hold true if they were guests as well.
Breggy Popup
AG
bangobango said:

free_mhayden said:

Gunshots to not impart enough force in real life to move a full grown human...or cybernetic organism. Any flinching from a gunshot is purely due to pain or reaction to the sound of the gunshot. If you watch any video of real life shootings, there is rarely any indication that the gunshot victim has been shot other than falling to the ground and blood pooling.

ETA: Speaking only of handguns and small caliber rifles. Obviously a .50 BMG would have enough mass and velocity to move a human.
schmendeler
AG
mythbusters covered this. even a shotgun blast at point blank was barely enough to nudge a hog carcass hanging from a precariously balanced hook. iirc.
bangobango
AG
schmendeler said:

mythbusters covered this. even a shotgun blast at point blank was barely enough to nudge a hog carcass hanging from a precariously balanced hook. iirc.

Interesting. Learn something new everyday.
JJxvi
AG
A buddy just told me that the can Dolores drops is the same in the Teddy and Man in Black scenes, but is slightly different when William picks it up.
JJxvi
AG

Found an image on reddit.
schmendeler
AG
bangobango said:

schmendeler said:

Interesting. Learn something new everyday.
if you think about it, it makes sense. if a bullet had enough force to knock someone down, then firing the gun would knock you down as well.
bobinator
AG
One thing I liked, or maybe didn't, on that podcast that someone linked to earlier in the thread is that Jason Concepcion joked about Westworld "weaponizing" internet theories. It almost seems like they might be doing things in this show just to get more wild internet threads started and then they won't end up really being important later.

Or, maybe every single thing means something.

I still think there are multiple timelines at work here, and I don't even necessarily think they're linear in and of themselves. Like I said, I think Delores could be working backwards, or at least slipping backwards and forwards.
Apache
AG
What exactly is that image supposed to show? The can looks the same unless I am missing something.
I think the westworld wouldn't change the design of a can of condensed milk over the years. If it ain't broke...
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Apache said:

What exactly is that image supposed to show? The can looks the same unless I am missing something.
I think the westworld wouldn't change the design of a can of condensed milk over the years. If it ain't broke...

Check the spacing on Maidenbrand.
bobinator
AG
The can thing seems like reaching to me. If we're supposed to be paying THAT close of attention, then I need a bigger TV.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
bobinator said:

The can thing seems like reaching to me. If we're supposed to be paying THAT close of attention, then I need a bigger TV.

LOST
3rdGen2015
AG
bobinator said:

Sounds like a good excuse to upgrade
Apache
AG
Tight Maiden vs. Spread Maiden. Clearly symbolic of Dolores' journey to full AI.
TheVarian
AG
That was probably an uh oh/lazy person by the props department
JJxvi
AG
Heh, that would be highly appropriate then since William picking up the slightly different can occurs during the presentation of Odyssey on Red River when Ford shoots it down and his speech about how guests don't come for the obvious things they do, but for the subtle things and the details is overlaid over that scene.
PooDoo
AG
Isn't this whole park a repulsive concept?

Sexbots, victimbots, & murderbots. Gross if you think about it.
bobinator
AG
I mean it's just like the most popular video games now... so I think that's to be expected.
jabberwalkie09
AG
PooDoo said:

Isn't this whole park a repulsive concept?

Sexbots, victimbots, & murderbots. Gross if you think about it.
Are you aware of the number of people that play games like Red Dead Redemption, God of War, Grand Theft Auto, or any other number of games like that?

This seems much along the same line, only in person.
Dro07
AG
Better to kill and rape robots than real people? Are you not participating in this years Purge?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.