*** The Americans: Season 4 ***

46,784 Views | 348 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
$240 Worth of Pudding
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I would expect a fan of this show to understand nuance. Words have meaning.

I actually don't think it's a ridiculous tangent when you're talking about this show. What they've done in getting the audience to root for and identify with the bad guys over the good guys is a big aspect of what makes it great TV.
Oh please. We all agree that the writers do a great job with this show. That's why we watch it. But let's not pretend that this show is some esoteric masterpiece that requires a high level of sophistication to properly view.
You're attempting to pass off semantics as "nuance". Words indeed do have meaning. "Other than" is merely a circumlocution of the use of "only".
DTP02
AG
"Other than some people who" is just a way to use more words to say "all people." That's what you're saying. Some=all. Yeah, I think we're done here.
TexasAggie008
AG
Enough already
lunchbox
quote:

I also remember that Twilight Zone episode. I think she would say "Stop talking!" to stop time and the missle was way up in the air, not 10 feet off the ground, but it was visible nonetheless. That was a great episode, thanks for reminding me of it, I hadn't thought of it in years.

Correct...here is the screengrab.

Here is the youtube of the episode if you want to watch it. Quality isn't great...

aTmAg
AG
quote:

Damn.. that first stage has a long range.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Damn good episode

Cant help but think Gabriel's question about calling it off to Elizabeth was a test
Love Paige's character but I want to lap her
Who in the world thought it was a good idea for Pastor Tim and Stan to be in the same room? (next episode)
I havent missed the teenage girl of the CIA agent....so uncomfortable
oragator
All I know is that they have killed off or otherwise eliminated half the cast this year, must be in serious cost cutting mode. Every episode someone is saying sayonara.
TexasAggie008
AG
So 3 more eps this season right ?
et98
AG
quote:
Cant help but think Gabriel's question about calling it off to Elizabeth was a test

My thoughts exactly
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
Damn good episode
I havent missed the teenage girl of the CIA agent....so uncomfortable

Agree, this season is killing it.

I LOVE the Kimi stuff. Some of the best acting on the show. You can almost hear Phil "please don't make me have sex with her! Please don't make me have sex with her! I don't believe in hell, but I'm definitely going there if I have sex with her!"
J.P. 03
AG
Oh my Gadd!!!

(Sorry, someone had to)

I'm curious what the Russians were hoping to accomplish with him. I guess they thought they could turn him based on his possible anger at being forced out?

And I agree that the Phillip/teenager scenes are super awkward...which I believe is the point. This is one of those instances where I hate how well-written/acted they are because they evoke the exact emotion the writers were going for, even if I don't want to feel that way. Interesting how hard Phillip came down on her for sharing her dad's secret with him. The parallels in his relationships with her and with Paige are really well done, IMO.
MW13
AG
Another good episode.

Martha's dad was a spy. Where does that go?
What was the play with Gaad?

And yes why on earth would you ever get Pastor Tim and Stan together?
Ol Jock 99
AG

quote:
Martha's dad was a spy. Where does that go?
Do what now? I'll have to rewatch, but I didn't pick that up at all. He just wants answers.

quote:
What was the play with Gaad?
They screwed you, now get them back. Super long odds, I know.

quote:
And yes why on earth would you ever get Pastor Tim and Stan together?
I'm assuming it has to do with Stan's son and the guitar pickin music guy.
MW13
AG
Maybe I heard wrong but didn't Stan's son tell Paige Martha's dad was spy?

Ya that's what I figured with Gaad I'm just interested to see where that will go. Arkady was pretty pissed about it and Stan is going to be out for blood.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Pretty sure you misheard on Martha's dad. Paige was asking StanBoy if it was weird having a dad in the FBI. Later Kimi was talking about how stuff made better sense once she learned that her dad was a spook.

The Gaad thing wasn't set up well. There should have been a scene or two of Arkady being mad on the phone or something. "This will not work. You don't know him like I do." Stuff like that. But no one bats 1.000.
MW13
AG
Ok I think I found where I had the mix-up . . .

Now that Stan's relationship with Matthew is improving, apparently he's been a lot more open with his son about his work. Like, telling him about going for drinks with "the dad of the secretary in his office who was a spy" a secretary who then "disappeared."

I was thinking they meant the dad was a spy. My bad.
Bunbury
AG
So if this news is true (Americans will get 5 or 6 seasons guaranteed, and they'll know before season 5 if season 6 is guaranteed), are you guys hoping for a 5th and final season, or 2 more to wrap it up.

I think I lean more on 5, I'd rather they wrap it up well than drag it out. But I also don't want them to have to expedite or cut any good stuff short.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheAmericans/comments/4jl8pg/fx_president_john_landgraf_confirms_show_will/
Ol Jock 99
AG
I think either would work well, but they need a definite end date to ramp up to.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Don't cut the 80s soundtrack short. I need 2 more years of revival of obscure synth pop tracks.
gravy97
AG
So Kimi learned that her dad was CIA... but Phillip already knew that right? I assume he did, but I couldn't figure out why this discovery was included... other than to show her dad was talking to her, and that she was sharing that secret to Phillip
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
So Kimi learned that her dad was CIA... but Phillip already knew that right? I assume he did, but I couldn't figure out why this discovery was included... other than to show her dad was talking to her, and that she was sharing that secret to Phillip

It gives him a different perspective on what Paige is going through too.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Right. Also, he's basically seducing a teenage girl, and the revelation that Kimi knows about her dad is just one more parallel/similarity to have it hit home that he's essentially seducing another version of Paige.
TX AG 88
AG
Good night John Boy!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Right. Also, he's basically seducing a teenage girl, and the revelation that Kimi knows about her dad is just one more parallel/similarity to have it hit home that he's essentially seducing another version of Paige.
^THIS

...and how Kimmi says that it now makes sense why he was never there and never talked about stuff...exactly like Paige.
safety guy
AG
It was funny when Paige told her parents that Pastor Tim was found. Elizabeth's first comment was "Thank God!". Interesting comment from a hardened atheist Russian spy.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I've been looking forward to tonight's episode all day. Until I realized today is Tuesday and it won't air until Weds.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I've been looking forward to tonight's episode all day. Until I realized today is Tuesday and it won't air until Weds.
No today is Wednesday!!!!

well it was Wednesday when I popped open this thread.....showtime.....soon.
TexasAggie008
AG
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/the-americans-gets-to-end-on-its-own-terms-with-two-season-final-renewal
CorpsAg11
AG
Trying to avoid looking at this thread since I still haven't finished last weeks episode but I'm super excited this got renewed for 2 more seasons, and even more excited that they have set-in-stone last season, so they can wrap the story up properly!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Great that it is renewed for 2 more seasons and they can now map out the final stories and direction.

I don't get why so many shows use this formula though of a truncated final season - or the version where they do 2 seasons dividing it into 2 mini seasons slightly longer than 1 season.

Scheduling I suppose might become an issue with those actors starting to move onto other projects?

Sopranos did it with seasons 6 parts 1 and 2. Sex and the City did it also. Breaking Bad was another recent one and Mad Men also.

Just seems bizarre to me that they can do 4-5 full seasons but those last couple are mini seasons. Is it simply dragging it out so it stays in the rotation while they get other shows going (and advertise them within)?

Word is GOT may be heading this way also.

CowtownAg06
AG
So we are in 1983 right now... I would assume that with just two more seasons we won't see the end of the Cold War. I was kind of hoping that how this would end.
Counterpoint
AG
quote:
So we are in 1983 right now... I would assume that with just two more seasons we won't see the end of the Cold War. I was kind of hoping that how this would end.
They could do another "fast forward" like they did earlier this season.
oragator
Finally, a show I like gets to go out the right way!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

They could also do a flash forward in the last episode....like just a glimpse of 5 years down the road. Perhaps they are done and pulled out of service by the end (or dead) and we leap to 5 years down the road and the fall of the Berlin wall, etc....

and we see Paige now in a CIA office as a newly graduated college kid who lands a job thanks to Stan but is a soviet spy......and she says "great....now what!!!"

Counterpoint
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

They could also do a flash forward in the last episode....like just a glimpse of 5 years down the road. Perhaps they are done and pulled out of service by the end (or dead) and we leap to 5 years down the road and the fall of the Berlin wall, etc....

and we see Paige now in a CIA office as a newly graduated college kid who lands a job thanks to Stan but is a soviet spy......and she says "great....now what!!!"

A+ ending! I will be disappointed if they don't do this now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.