*** The Americans: Season 4 ***

46,786 Views | 348 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am not a fan of the whole Martha thing but last night did have a ton of interesting subtext and emotion. I enjoyed it.
Will be happy when she is gone though.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Phillip/Clark was especially good last night - lots of emotion and he is being challenged subtly by both Elizabeth and Gabriel and even that William guy. Plus he cares for Martha but she is doomed. Lots of unspoken words...and tension.

To hear Martha and how much she just wants to be with Clark is painful and the way she says they can just go away together or as long as they are together, etc....is gut wrenching when he just doesn't reply (ummmmm....thats a no sweetie).

I could not figure out how they went from her apartment to Clark Westerfelds so quickly...I guess just based on when they followed her before. I actually did not recall that they knew where his place was?

EDIT - ok i do recall Aderholt following Martha to the outside of the building, so I guess they just decided to go back there and inquire of the landlord? But what did they ask him? Unless he knows which apartment Martha "visits" cuz the landlord did not recognize the sketch of Philip/Clark in a different disguise. Just seemed like a very quick leap to being inside his place. Remember its an inside hallway in that place and Aderholt sat outside in his car waiting to see who came or went.

aTmAg
AG

quote:
I could not figure out how they went from her apartment to Clark Westerfelds so quickly...I guess just based on when they followed her before. I actually did not recall that they knew where his place was?
Clark Westerfeld is not a place, it's Phillip's alias to Martha.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:

quote:
i know that - i meant Clark Westerfelds apartment. see above
aTmAg
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:
i know that - i meant Clark Westerfelds apartment. see above

Oh so you are asking how did they know to go from her apartment to his? So yeah, Aderholt knew the building, and I assume the landlord recognized her.
aggiefan09
AG
How'd they get his name to know which apartment to look in?
DeangeloVickers
AG
quote:
Following her? (I dont know)

I totally get the Martha story, and it is well done and they are much smarter than me.

I just selfishly don't like her and want her dead

aTmAg
AG
quote:
My assumption: They went to the landlord and showed a picture of Martha and asked, "you seen this woman?" The landlord says, "yeah she's the wife of Clark Westerfeld in 2B." And when they showed him the composite picture, of course it looks nothing like Clark Westerfeld which is why he said no to that.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
quote:
My least favorite episode....I want her dead yesterday

Hell, lets talk to the Korean lady
What? That episode was incredible.

This is all going to come to an incredible end. The FBI is looking for her, Phillip and Elizabeth are looking for her, Oleg will be looking for her.

And if there's any question what's going to happen to Martha.....the dead rat should be a pretty good clue.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I know...I admit...I'm shallow

Give me more Keri Russell
aggiefan09
AG
Thumbs up for Keri Russell,

What is the Korean lady's role? I haven't figured that one out yet, or elizabeth using Mary Kay to get in with some FBI agents house through the wife?
DeangeloVickers
AG
quote:
Thumbs up for Keri Russell,

What is the Korean lady's role? I haven't figured that one out yet, or elizabeth using Mary Kay to get in with some FBI agents house through the wife?
I THINK we will know later....the writers really have done an AMAZING job
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
My assumption: They went to the landlord and showed a picture of Martha and asked, "you seen this woman?" The landlord says, "yeah she's the wife of Clark Westerfeld in 2B." And when they showed him the composite picture, of course it looks nothing like Clark Westerfeld which is why he said no to that.

possible. But honestly how many times were they even there? Not that often that I recall. They were almost always at Martha's. This super would have to be staking out those hallways a lot.

Maybe they just didn't show us and they searched multiple apartments of male renters and most were there, had alibis, etc. Maybe they stumbled upon Clarks as one of several they searched and then noticing there were no personal effects and no tape in the answering machine, etc. they got curious. Maybe he was the only renter who didn't have a family or soemthing. Maybe.
annie88
AG
I got through a few of season 2, so need to go back and finish. I'm currently watching all seasons of Game of Thrones. Never really watched much, on season 3, ep 2 in four days But I loved season 1 of Americans.
CorpsAg11
AG
So I'm finally caught up on this show and can look at this thread!!

I think the season has been slow but its clearly about to pay off with some awesome episodes. I really wonder how the whole fingerprint thing is going to play out. No way "Clark" could've wiped the place clean off his prints. I think something is going to happen to those prints otherwise they would just be able to nail Philip and the show would basically be over.

And yea I think Martha is a goner.
gomerschlep
AG
No way Martha survives this season with how she was talking in the last episode.
Big Cat `93
AG
Feast on this, Americans fans.

How to make great TV, explained by FX spy drama The Americans.
CorpsAg11
AG
quote:

Good article. It mentioned the low ratings for the show. I wonder if it has a chance of building a following like Breaking Bad did over time. I'm afraid if it doesn't the show might not last much longer...
CowtownAg06
AG
FX seems to be a little more patient than most. I think they realize how good of a show this is and it's potential for their library long term via steaming.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I honestly think their marketing of it was poor....when I first saw the commercials for it I didnt want to watch it as it looked too dark and weird.

I didnt start watching it until Clay Travis said to check it out
Squirrel Master
AG
This season has been a great slow build to what I think will be some tense episodes coming. Thoughts:

Re: the Korean woman, when Elizabeth was at her house for family dinner, they made a point to show the male of the family who was sitting at the head of the table several times. I'm thinking he's the lady's brother and some scientist or something and Elizabeth is playing the long game to get set up with him. That's why she's getting so into the Korean culture and food with her. Elizabeth is practicing her Korean cooking at home to hopefully impress him.

The Martha story has been fantastic, though after she found her gun gone, I think she's definitely mad/not trusting and this is the beginning of her end in some form or fashion.

Re: Pastor Tim and wife, I think Paige is going to get upset at them enough that she's actually going to be the one who approves them getting taken care of and that will be her moment of jumping headfirst into the Soviet spy pool. But this will take some time and be a slow build. Could see this as how season ends.
CorpsAg11
AG
quote:

Re: Pastor Tim and wife, I think Paige is going to get upset at them enough that she's actually going to be the one who approves them getting taken care of and that will be her moment of jumping headfirst into the Soviet spy pool. But this will take some time and be a slow build. Could see this as how season ends.

I've thought the same, I think that is how things will play out.
Stat Monitor Repairman
quote:

Interesting theory. I was convinced for a while she would get a one way ticket to Moscow for indoctrination.

Americans and Better Call Saul is the best tv out there right now.
Squirrel Master
AG
Just seems like there is a lot of potential for Paige to make that call... she was really upset he violated her trust by telling his wife, Phillip and Elizabeth's hand wringing over what to do with them but not ruin relationship with Paige. Flipping the script and having Paige request it would make things really interesting. Plus add even more to awkward family dichotomy of the three of them while Henry is off being best buds with Stan.

Phillip and Elizabeth keep trying to convince Paige they're "good spies" who don't hurt people, but something the Pastor says/does will make Paige ask them "Can't you get someone do something about them". P&E exchange a glance and a pregnant pause and tell her they'll look into it. Then the pastor and wife will be in a car crash or something.
aTmAg
AG
That is a big jump for Paige to make. The pastor would have to try to molest her or something to get her to take it that far. No way would she want him killed merely because she's pissed he told her secret.
Squirrel Master
AG
If she feels the safety of her family is legitimately threatened, she could get there. Her parents have already emphasized repeatedly the risks and consequences of this information getting out. But you're right, it's still gonna take some time to get from where we are to where I'm predicting. Why I think it could be how the year ends, as opposed to an imminent event.
Stat Monitor Repairman
quote:
The pastor would have to try to molest her or something to get her to take it that far.

I think you may be on to something here.

Could Paige try to seduce Pastor Tim and use that as leverage? Her mom is sure good at it.
oragator
quote:
quote:

Good article. It mentioned the low ratings for the show. I wonder if it has a chance of building a following like Breaking Bad did over time. I'm afraid if it doesn't the show might not last much longer...
I posted this earlier in the thread, but the FX brass seems to love the fact that such a critically acclaimed show helps their brand and are accepting the trade off of the ratings. We'll see if it's lip service though.

http://www.ibtimes.com/americans-reaches-season-4-why-more-people-are-not-watching-why-fx-does-not-care-2337931
aTmAg
AG
quote:
quote:
The pastor would have to try to molest her or something to get her to take it that far.

I think you may be on to something here.

Could Paige try to seduce Pastor Tim and use that as leverage? Her mom is sure good at it.
I think it would be sorta shark jumpy for the pastor to do something that makes it a no brainer to kill him. I think the point is putting them into a quandary where they have to choose between killing a good man (while alienating their daughter) and putting themselves in danger.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I've really appreciated them making Tim a genuine good guy and would be EXTREMELY disappointed if he gets stat-rapey with Paige.

He and wife still get axed, but not for that.
J.P. 03
AG
I didn't think Martha could get any deader than she already is...and then Phillip told her his name.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Awesome episode

Really surprised Martha is gonna live..figured she got stabbed in the park

Looks like Pastor Tim should be praying until next week....Keri mad.....REAL mad

Clark Westerfeld is getting softer and softer
bilbobag
I think they will regret not killing her unless something happens to Elizabeth and Phillip/Clark reunite with Martha and that's the writers plan for her
CowtownAg06
AG
I almost think it's sadder for her not to die. Also she could still go down next week.
SWCBonfire
AG
They are telegraphing her as a diversion to get the Glanders out of the country. Oleg not getting his pilot, the new chick getting hers, secrecy, etc.

Martha is killed in Key West (or captured alive), Oleg realizes he was sold out, all this marches to the inevitable conclusion of the series.

Or they could shoot her in the head in the last minute, who knows.

ETA:

Spoiler alert: Don't Google "Glanders" if you don't want to know what is obviously coming. There is actual historical context here w/ the Soviets.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.