*** The Americans: Season 4 ***

46,810 Views | 348 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
DeangeloVickers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Episode was a little light on plot movement. Hoping he season finale provides something good.
No doubt hopefully just a setup episode
Ol Jock 99
AG
Hell of a setup episode though. This season has been unreal.
CowtownAg06
AG
quote:

How much of a reach would it be to think that the Feds investigate a murder of a street thug and find the other friend/mugger and he tells them it was a mother/daughter and says the name Paige.

Would not take long for Stan to connect those dots I would think. Especially near the volunteer place where Pastor Tim is who he also met.

This could have much more implications than just Paige realizing her mom is a trained assassin.

I don't see it.... random bums getting stabbed is barely something DCPD will care about, much less the FBI.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
not directly no...i meant more like routine PD investigation, but they talk to the friend and he says the woman was some badass ninja. they get curious. reports are public. maybe a local news story picks it up. feds hear about it and having been looking for a woman before who kicked Gaads ass they look into it.

something comes out of very little. just saying it's possible. i agree they made it random street thugs because thats likely not to come back to them....but sometimes its a tiny break like that. she would not normally leave witnesses, and would be in disguise on an operation, and not with her daughter, and not yell her daughters name.

think about how Son of Sam was caught. A witness in the neighborhood the night of the murder saw a cop giving out parking tickets on that street. simple parking ticket in the area of the murder led to Berkowitz.
CowtownAg06
AG
Yeah I can see that....

On another note... I wonder what Oleg's future is going to look like?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Something tells me her girl isn't getting the big job in Kenya anymore.
chiken
AG
Just watched this weeks episode last night. I wish they had a better actress for Paige. Her facial "expressions" irk the ever living shasta beans out of me. She looks like a pathetic squirrel! Do you see the resemblance?

She reminds me of Kristen Stewart and her lack of emotional acting.

With that said, I'm glad she called her mom out for never answering a question directly. That S is annoying!

I can't wait to see the finale! I think I'm going to binge watch the first three seasons.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I think she's kinda cute. And a very good actress.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I actually think she's been a good fit playing then naive, churchy teenager in a crazy situation bit. Now maybe it's just luck (or more like a quality job of matching someone to a role) because I'm not sold on her overall acting chops either, but I think it works here. Also, compared to "Dana" from Homeland, I have much preferred this version of teen angst vs. the Homeland version. It would be more annoying if she got more expression-filled and angsty like Dana.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Aggie great Lester Hayes gets a shoutout from the announcers of the super bowl coverage!!!!

lol
J.P. 03
AG
....aaaaand cliffhangers.

Incredible episode up to the end though. Gonna suck waiting another year to see what happens next.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Well sort of anticlimactic actually.

I get why they did it. When they filmed it they had no idea how much longer the show would go. Leaving it as they did in such limbo on really every story allows them to go in almost any direction which lets them proceed as fast or slow as they needed to based on how much longer of a run they got.

Since it is 2 more seasons now for sure I feel like it will be a little slower - well slower toward resolutions and final conflicts. It could go off in other tangents now a bit. But they aren't moving back to Russia for sure and Stan won't be immediately on their tail in season 5.

Interesting little nuggets the scientist dude gave them at the end - married couple, 2 kids, she is pretty. ******bag stopped short of giving them names but he gave them a lot. And Philip talking at EST about how much he loathes being a travel agent was obviously about being a spy.

Certainly a good season, less action overall, but more dark and foreboding.
TriAg2010
AG
Sorry, that was a disappointing season. How did the plot advance beyond the Crock-Pot paced defection of Martha and the split-second execution of Nina? They're basically right back where they were with the FBI having a few vague clues about the deep cover Americans. The only interesting new detail is that Philip's son is out there and might blow his cover by searching him down.
Mr. White
Quentin Tarantino, I know you read this board. Cast Oleg in your next movie.
SWCBonfire
AG
The season opener better be mercurial. Hopefully Russell and Rhys will not have had any sleep for the past x months and the anger will fly as they go in opposite directions when put under pressure.

I also hope the Paige subplot only is for increased angst of the main characters (rift between Phillip and Stan?) and not a main storyline.

They are doing two more seasons... don't know how that is going to play out without one of them turning/confessing. I'm calling Elizabeth eventually goes first, because once she gives up, the whole house of cards comes down.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Quentin Tarantino, I know you read this board. Cast Oleg in your next movie.
In Russia you don't cast Oleg...Oleg cast you.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
quote:
Sorry, that was a disappointing season. How did the plot advance beyond the Crock-Pot paced defection of Martha and the split-second execution of Nina? They're basically right back where they were with the FBI having a few vague clues about the deep cover Americans. The only interesting new detail is that Philip's son is out there and might blow his cover by searching him down.

Completely disagree. I really don't know what else to write other than that. I think this is the best TV show of the past 15 years.
aTmAg
AG
I think the show is good, but the best in 15 years? Better than Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, etc.? I wouldn't go that far.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:

Completely disagree. I really don't know what else to write other than that. I think this is the best TV show of the past 15 years.

Hitfix agrees - Alan Sepinwall. Great reviewer by the way..

Review: 'The Americans' just closed its best, darkest season yet

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-the-americans-just-closed-its-best-darkest-season-yet

quote:
It doesn't work as a great cliffhanger, because it would be so dramatically unsatisfying if the show burned Philip and Elizabeth's cover life down to the ground now, before Stan gets a chance to find out, before Paige and Matthew get even closer and cause more problems, before Mischa makes it to America, etc. Most likely, Philip's friendship with Stan will allow him to realize that William didn't give them up, and thus that it's safe to stay. But it doesn't matter that I don't believe Phil and Liz are going to pack up the Camaro and point it towards Moscow, because the thing is, they should do it. This arrangement has become untenable, between Philip and Elizabeth's increasing levels of guilt over all the monstrous things they do for Mother Russia, Pastor Tim and Alice being in on the secret, Stan's suspicions, and now Philip's discovery that Paige and Matthew are becoming more than just friends.

quote:
This is bad business the entire family is caught up in, and one where it's hard to imagine a good ending. Though the Jennings family made it out of this season physically unscathed, the number of supporting characters we've either lost (Nina, Martha, Gaad, William) or are on the verge of losing (Oleg, Arkady) illustrates the danger of this work and all the collateral damage it causes. Even assuming the action is still centered in Falls Church next season, it's going to feel like a very different series because of all the people we've lost. This was a hard season, a heavy one, and easily The Americans' best so far.

oragator
Yeah it's still a great show, but for me this season was below average.
Very little action likely due to the pregnancy (there should have been a drinking game for the number of ways they put things in front of her from laundry baskets to b**** coats to dry cleaning to counters etc), only 2 overriding themes of consequence (Paige, which got old and Phillips ambivalence). The whole Martha thing dragged on WAY too long, and we aren't very far from where we were when the season started. Presumably for money they got rid of some of the better characters like Nina, and we weren't left with any real cliffhanger (you know the family is staying). The whole Korean plot line ended with an anticlimactic thud, and there weren't any scenes like the old lady at repair shop that Elizabeth had that really raised the level of the show.
Plenty of decent stuff and I will be back next year, just fell short for me compared to other seasons.
Bunbury
AG
Yeah some of this season felt like it was written with a backup parachute ready in case they didn't get renewed for additional seasons. I imagine they had a good idea they were at least getting a 5th season, but maybe the back half of the season plays out differently if the 23 episode renewal isn't confirmed.

I'm sure people say this with all their favorite shows, but I think if The Americans had been able to get on HBO with their budget and artistic freedom, it would vault into the top tier of post-2000 shows. Just hearing how the creators discuss their themes and goals, this definitely could be considered the heir to the Sopranos as far as it being initially billed as one type of show, but more about family/humanity.

I don't always 'get it' on my own with each episode I see, but the reviews and discussions following help supplement it. There's definitely some inconsistency and flaws, but no other show since the Sopranos sticks with me and resonates on a personal level like this one.
ItsA&InotA&M

Is Gabriel going back to Russia?

He's in just as much danger as the family and was urging them to leave. It would make sense that he would already be on a plane (except for this being a tv show)..

Did I miss something regarding this?
CorpsAg11
AG
I agree on it being a disappointing season. I don't need cliffhangers in the finale but I do need the story to move along a little more than it did in this season.
TriAg2010
AG
quote:
quote:

Sure, The Americans is still good television and better than 90% of the stuff out there. But it is not in the top-tier along side Breaking Bad, The Wire, Sopranos, or Game of Thrones on any dimension. I am disappointed because this show had the potential to be along side those greats, but it fell a clear notch short after this season.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Just home from vacation. My DVR had some infomercial instead of the episode. Fortunately looks like it repeats tonight.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Mine too. Settled in to watch late Wednesday and had the damn infomercial. Not even aure what channel the infomercial was from. Had to record the overnight one so it pushed me back a day.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
Just home from vacation. My DVR had some infomercial instead of the episode. Fortunately looks like it repeats tonight.
Same here! We ended up Chromecast ing it from the FXNOW app.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
et98
AG
Same thing happened to me. I finally recorded a re-airing in the middle of the night last night.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Yup. Ours did the same but we caught it in time and just stayed up and watched the 10PM repeat.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I thought the season was great, and the finale was meh.
Jim01
AG
Finally some Emmy love! Best Series, Best Actor and Best Actress, Nice!
bilbobag
When is season 5 expected to start? March?
AgDaddy08-11
S
Season premiere of The Americans is on March 7th. FX is starting to show clips from the new season.
SWCBonfire
AG
AgDaddy08-11 said:

Season premiere of The Americans is on March 7th. FX is starting to show clips from the new season.

https://goo.gl/images/tDou2p

Eta: well, I guess the wrong emoticon works
ChipFTAC01
AG
Big Acie Law fan?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.