SNL's 40th season is sucking it up

49,215 Views | 326 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Counterpoint
COOL LASER FALCON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've had the same thought. The only thing I like about his new show is his bit with Fred.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I'm with Gramercy on this one. Seth Myers could've been great on Update but his politics kept getting in the way.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:
I've had the same thought. The only thing I like about his new show is his bit with Fred.
That's exactly what I told my wife. Fred makes me laugh, and then the show goes downhill.
Jacques
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think it's in real trouble now. There's just so much more on TV now than there was when the show previously hit bad spells.

It's kind of interesting to diagnose the problem. One problem is that previous seasons always had a couple of characters that the show could go to for a reliably funny skit. Does this cast have that? There's just all kinds of things missing.
i dont disagree with the last part, but i am curious about how you get to the conclusion that a 40 yr old show is "in real trouble now". it has no comp on Sat night and LM owns late night. the show isnt in real trouble. but it definitely isnt a great season.
Maybe not cancellation trouble. But relevance trouble for sure. It may not pull out of this funk as it has in the past. This may really be it for the show, as in the ceiling of where it will go.
twenty two ags
quote:
I've always felt Weekend Update worked better with a male and female anchor because there has always seemed to be more interplay and chemistry. Maybe it's just that Jost and Che don't have any chemistry to begin with, but while some parts are good, there's just something off about how it comes together.

Anyone else feel the same?

seth and amy were great.
tina fey and jimmy fallon were great.
but so was kevin nealon and so was dennis miller.
and tina and amy were also great together.

on the flip side, i think cecily strong is very funny, but she was not good on WU with seth meyer, also not good on WU with Jost.
corndog04
AG
Thought last night with Woody was by far the best of the season. The Bill Hader episode had some good moments, but also a few sketches that fell flat for me. Thought just about everything last night was pretty good.

A pretty minor moment overall, but Sam Smith singing Mexico duet with James Taylor had me in stitches.
Btron
AG
My favorite sketch of the night was the dating game with the three waiters and the daughter of the host. Second was two drinks looking to hook up at the end of the night.
im so horny but a gentleman, so I'll let you go down on me first.
wesag
AG
The Gap
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
My favorite sketch of the night was the dating game with the three waiters and the daughter of the host. Second was two drinks looking to hook up at the end of the night.
im so horny but a gentleman, so I'll let you go down on me first.
Two skits in a row (or maybe one-off) that used the same set?
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I've been meaning to post about the Harrelson episode too. I agree. Best of the season so far. The two drunk folks at the end of the night is a recurring bit....they've done it with Louis C.K. too.

Jost has to go. His Cake Boss joke on Update sums up his entire run on the show. Utterly immature joke that took no imagination, was seen coming a mile away, and most of all just not funny in the slightest. Hell, even Michael Che has already surpassed him on Update and this was a guy people were railing against just two months ago.
helgs
AG
Jost wrote this incredible sketch. Anyone this brilliant deserves to stay:

https://screen.yahoo.com/man-married-hot-dog-184214223.html

CrottyKid
AG
Cecily in that horny sketch tho.
TajMaballer
AG
Lorne Michaels was on the Bill Simmons podcast today. Fascinating listen if you got the time!
FtBendTxAg
AG
Jost is the worst
COOL LASER FALCON
John Mulaney was just on WTF with Marc Maron. Maron said the rumors were that Mulaney would have gotten Update if he hadn't gone off to do his show. That sucks. Mulaney would have been great on update and we could have been spared from his terrible show.
Jacques
quote:
John Mulaney was just on WTF with Marc Maron. Maron said the rumors were that Mulaney would have gotten Update if he hadn't gone off to do his show. That sucks. Mulaney would have been great on update and we could have been spared from his terrible show.

Yeah well, he'll be available soon. Would be best for both if he went back.
COOL LASER FALCON
Would love for him to go back, but I'm not holding my breath.
AG
A shame Nasim Pedrad left to do that show. I thought she was funny with Strong and McKinnon.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Cold opening to last nights show was pretty good.
TajMaballer
AG
I thought outside of the monologue, it was a solid show. My favorite was the theatre sketch
Mozart Paintings
AG
last night was not bad
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
last night was not bad
I agree. Much better than what we've been seeing this season so far. I got a really good laugh out of the "Black Annie" version of "Black Betty." It was well played.
R0GUE
AG
I laughed pretty hard at the animal show sketch.
Btron
AG
Grown man with baby body was my favorite. I'm a sucker for physical comedy and that actor nailed the baby actions.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
quote:
Grown man with baby body was my favorite. I'm a sucker for physical comedy and that actor nailed the baby actions.
Another recurring sketch. That's at least the third time they've done that one.
schmendeler
AG
yeah, they've done that one before and we always laugh. we have 2 kids, (one six months old) and those are just spot on.
FtBendTxAg
AG
The baby body boss is by far one of the best recurring sketches! I laugh out loud at each one. Beck Bennet is good and will definitely be a repertory player soon.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
quote:
I got a really good laugh out of the "Black Annie" version of "Black Betty." It was well played.

That almost made that sketch worth it, almost.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
quote:
I got a really good laugh out of the "Black Annie" version of "Black Betty." It was well played.
That almost made that sketch worth it, almost.
This, that sketch was so all over the place that I had trouble following it.
Al Bula
AG
That black Annie skit was the worst steaming pile of horsesh t I've seen in awhile. Black female comedians aren't funny. SNL caved to the diversity mafia and brought in two black females. Both severely inhibit the humor on the show.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Keenan Thompson is the least funny person on the planet. I've suffered through so many of that hacks skits without so much as a smirk it's ridiculous. That he continues collecting a pay check says all that needs to be said about SNL.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
And he makes me laugh. Funny how that works. Cheers to differing opinions.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Agreed. I like Keenan. Often, he will completely save a skit that is otherwise meh.
Though, I do think the writers rely on his confused face character too often.
wesag
AG
quote:
That black Annie skit was the worst steaming pile of horsesh t I've seen in awhile. Black female comedians aren't funny. SNL caved to the diversity mafia and brought in two black females. Both severely inhibit the humor on the show.

Seems a bit of a broad brush there
TajMaballer
AG
I also enjoy Kenan. Grantland wrote an article on him (and other castmembers) during the SNL tournament that took place earlier this year. Pretty good read!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.