SNL's 40th season is sucking it up

49,109 Views | 326 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Counterpoint
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought Shelton was great. Give this show another couple of years and everything but the cold open, update, and music will be pre-recorded. The premade stuff is just soooo much better than most of the live stuff. Wishing Boot was a great example.
Joan Wilder
AG
They need to dump Jost on Update. The show comes to a complete screeching halt with his delivery and complete lack of chemistry with Che and the Update guests. I think Che could find his voice and rhythm without Jost.

The underlying writing is so weak - the Bachelor skit was fine but like the Deflate-gate PC, it was lazy and never hit anything original. They have some talent in the ensemble players and they're given nothing to work with.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
quote:
quote:
(where Moynihan's Riblet was head and shoulders above Jost and Che).
It's a longshot, but as I was watching it, I was hoping that the Riblet bit came about because the cast realizes how awful Jost and Che are, and there was some sort of challenge issued. Something along the lines of "you're just reading the damn cards - how hard is it to get it right?" And then to prove the point, a character like Riblet comes in and acts completely ridiculous right up until the exact moment when it's time to actually read the joke, and he nails it over and over.

The feud over Update probably isn't there, but that's how it played out in my head.

Had the same thought in a way. But I don't want Moynihan doing update. He has the best update characters. I definitely think though that, whatever the purpose, there was definitely a message sent by Moynihan going out there and killing it with two jokes better than Jost and Che have in a season.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
It was imperative that he read the jokes with no mistakes, and he delivered. I don't want him to be a replacement, but it's nice that he showed how easy it was.
aTmLoKi
AG
quote:
quote:
(where Moynihan's Riblet was head and shoulders above Jost and Che).
It's a longshot, but as I was watching it, I was hoping that the Riblet bit came about because the cast realizes how awful Jost and Che are, and there was some sort of challenge issued. Something along the lines of "you're just reading the damn cards - how hard is it to get it right?" And then to prove the point, a character like Riblet comes in and acts completely ridiculous right up until the exact moment when it's time to actually read the joke, and he nails it over and over.

The feud over Update probably isn't there, but that's how it played out in my head.
I was really hoping for something like this. Riblet was the best part about Weekend Update. The two they have now is a disaster, and Jost is the head writer for the show (I believe).
oragator
This is as good a place as anywhere.

Saw tonight that Eddie Murphy is finally coming back for the first time in 30 years, he will be there for the 40th anniversary special.
Professor Frick
AG
Remember, as it has been for a few generations, Jost as wu anchor, is also head writer. So that explains a lot.
israeliag
AG
Pretty good opening right now
nickstro66
AG
Wish they would get rid of Aidy. She's not funny and tends to play the same character in every role. Has it always been this obvious that they are reading straight from their cue cards?
Post removed:
by user
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Decent so far, but d'angelo is very underwhelming.
I sense a political statement is coming in his next set.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
Pretty good opening right now

Enjoyed them ripping on Seattles "12th Man".

"I've been a die hard fan from the beginning!! ...of 2013."
cr06gis
AG
whoever that older black lady is, she is ****ing awful
ashleyschaeffer
quote:
whoever that older black lady is, she is ****ing awful

She is terrible, just tall and loud. I looked into her last night because I couldn't fathom how someone like her got that gig.

She's 47, and the oldest person to make her debut as a cast member. She auditioned for the African American female part on The show and didn't make it, but got hired on as a writer. Again, not sure how. After an appearance on Update she was brought on as a cast member.

She's apparently been around for a long time, and was once booed off the stage opening for Jamie Foxx.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
SNL has left the building.
walton91
I thought the women's Super Bowl Activity Pack was the funniest bit of the night.

TajMaballer
AG
I liked last night! The Jay Z bit was hilarious and weird. Also the opening monologue was perfect. I could have watched JK Simmons rip into everyone for the entire hour and a half.
R0GUE
AG
Meh I like her better than a lot of the other cast. She has way more personality than the younger black woman.
Counterpoint
AG
She's really popular right now. She's one of the new Ghostbusters, I think.
aTmLoKi
AG
I've thought that about Leslie Jones since her first appearance. Definitely not funny...
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:
Wish they would get rid of Aidy. She's not funny and tends to play the same character in every role.
Maybe so, but for whatever reason that same character makes me laugh.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
I've thought that about Leslie Jones since her first appearance. Definitely not funny...
I think Leslie Jones is going to be the new Keenan Thompson when he leaves at the end of the season.
aTmLoKi
AG
quote:
quote:
I think Leslie Jones is going to be the new Keenan Thompson when he leaves at the end of the season.
What? Fat black guy?
The Milkman
AG
The Pushie/Clippy MS Word skit was hysterical.
R0GUE
AG
I definitely liked Pushie too.
aTmLoKi
AG
Murder Pushie
TajMaballer
AG
40th Anniversary Special tonight! The list of people showing up is insane! Can't wait to check it out!
Jacques
I'm glad to hear it's not just going to be a clip show. I can go back now any number of places and see old clips.
Prime0882
AG
Enjoyed the Jeopardy skit. Been a mix of clips from seasons past and new skits so far. Not too bad, but I wish there were less celebrities like Miley Cirus in the skits.
PatAg
AG
Just want to share that Leslie Jones is not funny
Connd
The showing of audition tapes was pretty great.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
Just want to share that Leslie Jones is not funny
Few black women are funny.
PatAg
AG
Dunno about few black women, but she has a big bag of nothing. simple comedy at best
Jackass2004
AG
who thing is terrible.
Ambres
AG
Will Ferrell, Dana Carvey and Adam Sandler are killing this musical skit. Some guys were perfect for SNL.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.