SNL's 40th season is sucking it up

49,101 Views | 326 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Counterpoint
Prime0882
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The love song from Jaws!
Ambres
AG
Bill "Freaking" Murray!! Funny that they muted him for 1 bar.. wonder what he actually said.

Not sure if Eddie was suppose to actually do something..

Then they bring out Miley for the fail... they had Taylor Swift.. why not have her sing.. or Paul (S or M) ..
bagger05
AG
Never found any reason to familiarize myself with Miley Cyrus's music but that song was actually pretty good.
Silky Johnston
quote:
Never found any reason to familiarize myself with Miley Cyrus's music but that song was actually pretty good.

You do realize that is not miley Cyrus's "music", right?
LeonardSkinner
Paraphrasing myself from the GB thread...

On the SNL 40th Anniversary special,
Eddie Murphy: 1 minute
Chris Rock: 2 minutes
Miley Cyrus: a whole song (that's not even hers)
Ambres
AG
50 Ways To Leave Your Lover - Paula Simon 1975.. what does not make any.. ugg.. .. Paul is on the show. At least have him sing the song with her.
bagger05
AG
I did not. Makes much more sense now that it was good.
LeonardSkinner
Well. This pretty much sums up SNL recently. Skits that can be pretty funny, but occasionally hit or miss, and disappointing musical performances.
Average Joe
AG
quote:
Well. This pretty much sums up SNL recently. Skits that can be pretty funny, but occasionally hit or miss, and disappointing musical performances.

That guy Kanye made famous played a song that was good.
Post removed:
by user
VanZandt92
But you must admit, how would one get exposed to Simon and Garfunkel if you hadn't heard it when you were young? I even listen to a classic rock station out of New York and they don't play it. I can't recall hearing it on the radio since I was about 7. Yeah I own a bunch of their stuff, but that music, despite its greatness, isn't heard.
TajMaballer
AG
Loved the Jon Lovitz bit! Probably the hardest I laughed all night. I enjoyed the other sketches, but still have a dumb smirk from that Lovitz joke.
Sex Panther
AG
I enjoyed it a lot.

Yeah some of the stuff fell flat, and it's been cool to hate on SNL for a long time... But SNL is such an institution. That was nostalgic tonight no matter what age you are. It was so cool to see your generation paired with older and newer ones.

I'll never forget seeing "More Cowbell", "Dick in a Box", "Schwetty Balls" live etc... Tonight brought all that back.

And how incredible was it to see all of those people together live? Eddie Murphy, Bill Murray, Will Ferrell, Chevy Chase, Amy and Tina, Sandler and Samberg... SNL is truly one of the most influential and important shows in modern entertainment history.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
But you must admit, how would one get exposed to Simon and Garfunkel if you hadn't heard it when you were young? I even listen to a classic rock station out of New York and they don't play it. I can't recall hearing it on the radio since I was about 7. Yeah I own a bunch of their stuff, but that music, despite its greatness, isn't heard.

Every American adult should see The Graduate.
Jacques
quote:
Paraphrasing myself from the GB thread...

On the SNL 40th Anniversary special,
Eddie Murphy: 1 minute
Chris Rock: 2 minutes
Miley Cyrus: a whole song (that's not even hers)

I'm not sure Murphy wanted to be out there even that long.

This was a good show. That Lovitz bit was great. Good to see Wayne's world again.

One thing I don't get is DeNiro. He's awful. I've seen him on the show and all he does is read his lines. And he flubs them. Did the same thing tonight.

How he could be so bad is a mystery.
bagger05
AG
quote:
quote:

Wow. I am not bagging on you individually but this makes me super sad inside that you thought this was a Miley song.

Go listen to Paul Simon and Simon and garfunkel and thank us later.

Don't let it get you down. I just had never heard the song before. Doesn't go any deeper than that.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Bill "Freaking" Murray!! Funny that they muted him for 1 bar.. wonder what he actually said...
They muted "G-D shark"
GiveEmHellBill
AG
The show was everything we've come to expect from SNL:

Some classic stuff.
Some funny stuff.
Some awkward stuff.
Some flat stuff.
Musical legends.
Current popular singers that won't be remembered in another decade.

What this really did for me (and why I enjoyed the entire thing) was remind me of all the great sketches they've done over the decades and really made me want to go back and watch a lot of the older stuff. The original cast, the mid-late 80's cast with Hartman, Lovitz and Carvey, the early 90's era (my college years). I miss that stuff.
bigjag19
AG
The voiceover during Jeopardy had us rolling.

Also loved Turn Down for What
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Whore Ads had me cracking up.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Le tItS now
VanZandt92
Ape tit
ChipFTAC01
AG
I missed the first part of the show last night and will have to go back and watch this week. I was thinking this morning about some notable missing people that I didn't notice were there. I also was relatively drunk by the end of the show, so maybe I forgot some of the sketches.

Somewhat notable cast members that I didn't see (This list ended up being a lot longer as I looked at the wiki list of cast members):

- Billy Crystal
- Brian Doyle-Murray
- Robert Downey Jr
- Nora Dunn
- Chris Elliott
- Al Franken
- Christopher Guest
- Chris Kattan
- Tim Kazurinsky
- David Koechner
- Julia Louis Dreyfus
- Mark McKinney
- Jim Brewer (actually now I remember seeing him sitting in the crowd on one shot, but I don't remember seeing any Goat Boy on stage)
- Michael Mckean
- Nasim Pedrad
- Jay Mohr
- Horatio Sanz
- Robert Smigel
- Harry Shearer
- Julia Sweeney

Like I said, I probably missed some of these and forgot some others. A lot of those were from the non-Lorne years.

I really enjoyed that show last night. My wife was getting mad at me for stepping all over the punch lines on stuff she'd never seen before. When Jane Curtain and Dan Akroyd were having their point/counterpoint she asked why I called Jane an ignorant **** before Dan got to his line.

boy09
AG
Solid show from beginning to end. I probably laughed the hardest at The Californians and Nick Ocean singing the Jaws theme.

Don't know how I missed the original Californians skit, but it was hilarious.

I'm sure I'm not alone, but the only thing I didn't like was Kanye. When he started singing while laying on the floor I thought to myself "this dude is just ripping off Sia now.." Then Sia came out... I wasn't sure what to think. The whole thing was just bizarre.
ChipFTAC01
AG
While I liked the Californians when it was on back in the day, I thought it was a strange skit for the m to highlight. It wasn't a tentpole type sketch from back in the day to bring back.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I liked Kanye. Probably always will. Dude is a huge tool and *******, but I like his music.

I also thought Californians was an odd one to highlight, but it's a great skit that can incorporate a bunch of different celebs.
Sex Panther
AG
Yeah I think the whole reason for the Californians was they could easily get a ton of people in it

I wish they'd have reenacted More Cowbell
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
I liked Kanye. Probably always will. Dude is a huge tool and *******, but I like his music.

I also thought Californians was an odd one to highlight, but it's a great skit that can incorporate a bunch of different celebs.

Guess so.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Eddie Murphy seemed like he didn't want to be there.

Bill Murray killed it as usual.

Chevy Chase looked lke he might not make it through the night.

Paul Mcartney should probaly just hang it up.

Best musical performance was Miley.

Dennis Miller and Victoria Jackson got themselves blackballed from the show I guess.
Sex Panther
AG
I saw Victoria Jackson on the pre show thing
Jacques
quote:
Eddie Murphy seemed like he didn't want to be there.

Bill Murray killed it as usual.

Chevy Chase looked lke he might not make it through the night.

Paul Mcartney should probaly just hang it up.

Best musical performance was Miley.

Dennis Miller and Victoria Jackson got themselves blackballed from the show I guess.

I think miller and Jackson were welcome back. But I also think not everyone wanted to do a bit.
cajunaggie08
AG
quote:
While I liked the Californians when it was on back in the day, I thought it was a strange skit for the m to highlight. It wasn't a tentpole type sketch from back in the day to bring back.
Agreed. It wasn't a skit I recalled from the past nor did i find the Californian accent thing to be that funny of a repetitive joke, but Bradley Cooper making out with Betty White saved it last night
LHIOB
AG
After Party

Does anyone on earth have more fun than Jimmy Fallon? Say what you will about him but it seems like every time you see him he is having a blast and laughing his ass off. In a world full of cynics its refreshing to see someone just enjoy themselves.

Also, he and Timerlake killed it with their open

More Jimmy having fun
TajMaballer
AG
That after party looks insane! Leslie Jones tweeted out a bunch of photos, but this one stood out to me and got me excited for Ghostbusters 3!
MW03
AG
quote:
After Party

Does anyone on earth have more fun than Jimmy Fallon? Say what you will about him but it seems like every time you see him he is having a blast and laughing his ass off. In a world full of cynics its refreshing to see someone just enjoy themselves.

Also, he and Timerlake killed it with their open

More Jimmy having fun
That's greatness.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.