SNL's 40th season is sucking it up

49,143 Views | 326 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Counterpoint
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't know how someone couldn't enjoy Jimmy Fallon

And I was cracking up in Samberg and Sandler's song about breaking in skits. You knew that a whole Fallon section was coming...

Also from that song,

"We were in a movie that bombed!"

"Why would you even bring that up??"
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:

Oh, it's quite possible.
I used to run with a bunch of Calvin Klein male models 25 years ago in DFW
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:

Oh, it's quite possible.

Harry being cynical... no way
HtownAg92
AG
Some of the classic clips had me rolling, even though I knew what was coming. "Jane You Ignorant ****" was the best example. I had forgotten the build up line from Curtin.

De Niro was painful to watch. When Keith Richards delivers his lines better than you, that's a problem. Nicholson, on the other hand, perfection.

The Martin Short / Beyonce musical montage was the highlight.

Miley's version of 50 Ways was good, but you have 40 years worth of musical guests to choose from and you go with McCartney, Simon, Kanye....and Miley Cyrus?
welborn
I was allowed to watch SNL at a very young age. Think it was around 1988 or so. Mom loved the show and let me stay up late for this program and Carson.

The myth that "your jr. high" cast will always be the best holds up to a degree, but there have been some awesome groups throughout my life time. The current bunch is flopping considering the standard that has been set over the years.

My jr high group was the 1993-1995 bunch and I have to say, the 95 cast was pretty freaking awesome.

On the 40th Special I was disappointed in only the musical guests. Paul has been done as a vocalist for years now, I cant stand Kanye, and people watch Miley for the next meltdown. They could have allowed the house band to perform and I would have been more satisified. Speaking of which, great to see G.E. Smith jamming once again.
LHIOB
AG
GE Smith looked like he had been dead for 6 months

I could have done without the music unless they did it like the skits where some artists got to jam. Maybe they should have done the after party show live. That looks like a blast.

Why not let Keith Richards play with the Pauls? That would have been awesome. Throw in Dave Grohl on drums?

I skipped over the musical acts because they didnt bring anything to the show.

I did love the segment on SNL and NYC. The city and the show are so intertwined.

I've never been a huge fan of the Californians so I would have loved for them to dust off another ensemble skit like Bill Bratski. It would have been epic to see Baldwin, Goodman, Ferrell, Murray, Akroyd, Martin, Fallon, Timberlake, Hanks, Sandler, etc etc each take a stab at a toast to BB.

I may be in the minority but I could have done without the Eddie Murphy BJ. Sure he was important to the show but to single him out over all the others? I would have much rather have seen Nealon say a few words about Jan Hooks who is the only big star thats died since the 25th show when they did tributes to Farley, Hartman, Radner and Belushi.

There were some pretty big names missing, even if they only played a small part - JLD, Christopher Guest and Harry Sheerer come to mind.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
I've never been a huge fan of the Californians so I would have loved for them to dust off another ensemble skit like Bill Bratski. It would have been epic to see Baldwin, Goodman, Ferrell, Murray, Akroyd, Martin, Fallon, Timberlake, Hanks, Sandler, etc etc each take a stab at a toast to BB.

That would've been awesome
welborn
Honoring Eddie was weird. I get it that he's important, but there's another time and place to do that. It appeared he felt awkward in "thanking" everyone. Didn't appear to want to do it either, but it happened and didn't seem like a huge deal.
Jacques
quote:
I may be in the minority but I could have done without the Eddie Murphy BJ. Sure he was important to the show but to single him out over all the others? I would have much rather have seen Nealon say a few words about Jan Hooks who is the only big star thats died since the 25th show when they did tributes to Farley, Hartman, Radner and Belushi.

No, I think everyone was disappointed by that. I think he just doesn't want to do the Hot Tub, Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood, Gumby stuff anymore. It's a damn shame. Not one of the other guys thinks that stuff is beneath them. But I think he does.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I made the comment to my wife last night that I wondered how much some of the actors loved dusting off old characters. Like does Will Ferrell love dusting off Marty Culp or is it just a beating from 15 years ago?
hurleyag
AG
quote:
quote:
While I liked the Californians when it was on back in the day, I thought it was a strange skit for the m to highlight. It wasn't a tentpole type sketch from back in the day to bring back.
Agreed. It wasn't a skit I recalled from the past nor did i find the Californian accent thing to be that funny of a repetitive joke, but Bradley Cooper making out with Betty White saved it last night
Buh Bye saved the skit.

Granted I've never liked The Californians and only 2 or 3 of them could even get the Californian accent right.
Sex Panther
AG
Apparently it was Eddie's first time ever back on the show in any capacity since he left. Maybe he and Lorne don't get along? It was a little awkward, but he's a top 5 all time cast member.

Would've loved to see him do one of his classic skits though.
welborn
A simple "Oh tay" from Eddie would have won the moment.
Jacques
quote:
Apparently it was Eddie's first time ever back on the show in any capacity since he left. Maybe he and Lorne don't get along? It was a little awkward, but he's a top 5 all time cast member.

Would've loved to see him do one of his classic skits though.
They did have a fight over a skit that Spade did. Murphy was mad enough that he actually called Spade about it to gripe at him.

I know he's made what are supposed to be funny movies. But I think he's just lost a lot of the desire. John Landis said that when he directed BHC3 he just could not get Eddie to be funny. He had to send him away from the set for long stretches of time and just film other scenes.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Wookin' Pa Nub

MW03
AG
The only skit I saw was The Californians, and it had me laughing pretty good.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I'm not sure Murphy and Lorne ever had any relationship. Lorne and the entire original cast were gone when Murphy joined. He wasn't on as long as some of the other big name alumni, and Joe Piscapo was the only other star on the show during his run. Murphy also had pretty immediate, big time success away from SNL. I kinda think he just wasn't ever a part of the whole SNL fraternity thing.
ABATTBQ87
AG
I remember that tragic day when buckwheat was shot
Gig-Em2003
AG
FYI the new SNL app is pretty awesome.

oragator
Wasn't a big fan of the 40th.

First, crazy long.
Second, even though it was 3 1/2 hours, they only managed to work in what, 3 new skits?
The bummer they have Murphy was a total slap in the face to all of the other regulars.
The celebrity audience brought the energy way down, and made it seem more like a self serving awards show than SNL.
But to me the most annoying thing about the show was how they tried to work so many things in that of it got its fair due or was allowed to be funny.Emma Stone doing RRD for 5 seconds was pointless, as was Mcarthy's few seconds behind her, and the show was riddled with that stuff.

I did like a few of the things they did, thought the Seinfeld piece went well, Samburg's new clip was good and a few others. But overall it was dissapinting.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:

De Niro was painful to watch. When Keith Richards delivers his lines better than you, that's a problem. Nicholson, on the other hand, perfection.

This made me more upset than it should have. I don't get DeNiro. We're asking you to be a part of something absolutely enormous and not mail it for all of 2 minutes, can you be a professional? No, apparently not.
schmendeler
AG
how do you make it to adulthood in America without knowing "the sound of silence" or "cecila"?
LHIOB
AG
Yes, EM got pissed at a joke Spade did on Update about his career. It was a funny joke and completely onsides. I hate it when people think they are above being lampooned. Every politician who comes on there gets lampooned - they even do skits making fun of themselves. Its what the show was built on.

I did love Martin Shorts joke about only hosting once
cajunaggie08
AG
Yea, I really don't understand Eddie Murphy now. There is an entire generation who just knows him as the voice of Donkey from Shrek. That is the only successful role he has had in over a decade. I don't know if he thinks he is still above it all or if he really did just lose it. He really was great back then but as he once said in his special Raw, "EDDIE!!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY!" You are in the entertainment business Eddie. If you aren't entertaining, why are you even on tv?
ChipFTAC01
AG
I think Eddie just doesn't care.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
I would guess he is the richest former cast member, so he can afford not to care.
LHIOB
AG
More from the after party

This is a 9 minute video of Jimmy recapping the the after party concert. Its as epic as you would imagine.
TajMaballer
AG
Seth Meyers also gave his story of the after party
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Seth Meyers also gave his story of the after party
I always imagine a SNL after party looking something like this:
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Bowfinger was pretty good, hard to believe that was 15 years ago...
pb488
AG
quote:
quote:
I would guess he is the richest former cast member, so he can afford not to care.

off the top of my head, sandler, robert downey jr, mike myers are all worth more from franchises, and julia louis-dreyfus is a billionaire from her family business
Ryan the Temp
AG
I totally forgot about Julia Louis-Dreyfus' family.
LHIOB
AG
Yeah, I'd say Sandler is the top earner. He has his own production company and his movies make tons of cash. Mike Meyers also made some high grossing movies and Im sure he got more for Shrek than Murphy.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Love seeing Sudekis jump in for "What's Up With That?"
PatAg
AG
Always envious of the dance moves.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.