SNL's 40th season is sucking it up

49,105 Views | 326 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Counterpoint
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I liked the orc sitting there eating his cheese
TajMaballer
AG
I thought it was another great episode this past week. Serial sketch, Trash singers, and even update were solid. Jost and Che I think are finally figuring it out. Hopefully when they come back next show (Kevin Hart) they keep on getting better.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Agreed. Best of the season so far. Dr. Evil was a really nice touch.
Jacques
The Barbie commercial was pretty damn funny. The cast and writers seem to be hitting their stride.
Counterpoint
AG
Reconsidering This Season of SNL
The Milkman
AG
The spoof of Serial was absolutely perfect. Everything from the interviews with Adnon, the defense attorney, and the hosts upspeak was spot on.

This past month or so has been great.
West Point Aggie
AG
The serial parody was so boring...though the chick did sound and had the mannerisms of the actual host...everything else...yawn!
FtBendTxAg
AG
I liked it and thought Cecily did a kickass job
Beer Baron
AG
quote:
The serial parody was so boring...though the chick did sound and had the mannerisms of the actual host...everything else...yawn!
Are you kidding? It had everything - Santa with Adnan's weird tone and vibe, Jingle the unreliable elf witness, Aidy Bryant doing Christina Gutierrez's god-awful voice perfectly, Dana and Sarah trying to recreate something, and finally, Dana doing the "Mail Kimp" thing. Most spot-on parody I've seen in awhile.
Al Bula
AG
For awhile SNL was getting better. The Kevin Hart episode is terrible. His monologue set the bar for a terrible show.

That Sia chick sure can sing though.

And can someone tell me why Michael Che is on weekend update? That guy blows goats.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Nobody blows more goats than Jost though. He's the worst thing to ever happen to SNL. This wknd update cast is the worst in the history of the show and it's not close.
Counterpoint
AG
I loved almost every sketch on the Kevin Hart episode!
Jackass2004
AG
Snl the show for those with nothing better to do or parents stuck at home with kiddos. Sucks either way.
TheCougarHunter
AG
People still watch SNL??

Holy crap I didn't even know it was still on TV
Quad Dog
AG
quote:
Snl the show for those with nothing better to do or parents stuck at home with kiddos. Sucks either way.
I record it and watch it in about 30-45 minutes on Sunday morning before football starts.
Joan Wilder
AG
There is no question to me that Jost is the problem. The writing is just awful, and he is nearly unwatchable on update.

They need to stop putting the young guy who stares zombie-like at the cue cards in sketches.
The Milkman
AG
quote:
They need to stop putting the young guy who stares zombie-like at the cue cards in sketches.
Yeah during the opening skit he never once looked away from his cue card.... it was bizarre
LawAg05
AG
Kate McKinnon is the best they have. Loved her Beiber commercials on the last episode.

Weekend update is the worst part of the show. Jost is robotic and Che can't read aloud. Seriously, how do you get the weekend update job when you can't read aloud? This isn't the actual news. He should at least be able to memorize the lines so his comedic timing is better.
Beer Baron
AG
quote:
For awhile SNL was getting better. The Kevin Hart episode is terrible. His monologue set the bar for a terrible show.
This is because Kevin Hart is very not funny.
Beer Baron
AG
quote:
Kate McKinnon is the best they have. Loved her Beiber commercials on the last episode.
"Clothes for my big wiener."
Counterpoint
AG
"The Wishin' Boot" is my jam!
aTmLoKi
AG
So, Blake Shelton was the worst of the season, right?
gravy97
AG
The 'A Few Good Men' spoof on Deflate gate was greatness
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:
I've only watched half of it so far, but I enjoyed it (with the exception of the Family Feud skit, because this cast doesn't have enough people who can do good celebrity impressions to pull of that kind of skit).
Complete Idiot
quote:
gravy97 8:14a LAG
The 'A Few Good Men' spook on Deflate gate was greatness

Really? SNL went movie quote parody, something I, an engineer failing to be funny, might do on Texags to a tepid response. Pretty low on the comedy scale.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
quote:
I've only watched half of it so far, but I enjoyed it (with the exception of the Family Feud skit, because this cast doesn't have enough people who can do good celebrity impressions to pull of that kind of skit).
and most of that skit was just the introductions.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
quote:
The 'A Few Good Men' spoof on Deflate gate was greatness
Wow. You're easy to please.

I agree that this was easily the worst of the season. Seemed like every sketch just droned on and on...even weekend update (where Moynihan's Riblet was head and shoulders above Jost and Che).
et98
AG
The deflategate/A Few Good Men cold opening was easily the best one within the past couple of years.

The Hee-Haw monologue was easily the best monologue in the past season or so as well.

The Wishin' Boot was my favorite pre-recorded bit they've done in a very long time, too.

I thought they came out of the gates swinging in this episode. The Family Feud was about as brutal as it always is when they do it, but the final joke about Adam Levine being gay made me laugh.

Of course, it all fell apart by Weekend Update, which was absolutely terrible. They seriously need to quit letting that young guy do stuff on the show. His Weekend Update spots always turn into disconnected ramblings with no punchline.

The old man writing a song about his dead wife was pretty funny, but I saw that joke coming a mile away. Everything else from the week was unmemorable, but I guess they can't all be winners.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:
(where Moynihan's Riblet was head and shoulders above Jost and Che).
It's a longshot, but as I was watching it, I was hoping that the Riblet bit came about because the cast realizes how awful Jost and Che are, and there was some sort of challenge issued. Something along the lines of "you're just reading the damn cards - how hard is it to get it right?" And then to prove the point, a character like Riblet comes in and acts completely ridiculous right up until the exact moment when it's time to actually read the joke, and he nails it over and over.

The feud over Update probably isn't there, but that's how it played out in my head.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
and most of that skit was just the introductions.
I'm usually ok with that, as long as every one of them actually does a good job. Unfortunately, I think the only one worth a damn this time was Kate (shocker, right?).
Btron
AG
quote:
quote:

Really? SNL went movie quote parody, something I, an engineer failing to be funny, might do on Texags to a tepid response. Pretty low on the comedy scale.
Btron
AG
I know this is a few weeks back, but Kevin Hart's James Brown bit was really really funny. Three dudes on the corner in a gentrification brooklyn was original and funny. I thought up something like that a while ago titled the "gluten free gangsta"
BigRobSA
quote:
quote:

ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
I know this is a few weeks back, but Kevin Hart's James Brown bit was really really funny. Three dudes on the corner in a gentrification brooklyn was original and funny. I thought up something like that a while ago titled the "gluten free gangsta"
I'll agree that Kevin Hart's James Brown was pretty awesome. Better than Eddie's.

I don't particularly like Kevin Hart either as an actor or a comedian, but that was pretty nails.
LawAg05
AG
quote:
quote:
(where Moynihan's Riblet was head and shoulders above Jost and Che).
It's a longshot, but as I was watching it, I was hoping that the Riblet bit came about because the cast realizes how awful Jost and Che are, and there was some sort of challenge issued. Something along the lines of "you're just reading the damn cards - how hard is it to get it right?" And then to prove the point, a character like Riblet comes in and acts completely ridiculous right up until the exact moment when it's time to actually read the joke, and he nails it over and over.

The feud over Update probably isn't there, but that's how it played out in my head.
I agree with this, to an extent. Although I'm not sure if it was an actual challenge among the cast or if Michaels wanted to have a trial run of possible replacements. Either way, I think there was some purpose behind having another cast member reading weekend update jokes on live tv.

I wish Riblet would take over weekend update for the remainder of the season. Weird as that is to say...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.