SNL's 40th season is sucking it up

49,130 Views | 326 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Counterpoint
FarmerJohn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Bowfinger was pretty good, hard to believe that was 15 years ago...

I don't know if it was good so much as not as terrible as every other movie he made from that era.

It seems to me that Eddie Murphy read too much of his own press and now takes himself way too seriously. Which would explain why he's as funny as Kanye.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I don't get why y'all are so pissed at Eddie Murphy. I'm not a fan of anything he's done since Beverly Hills Cop II, but he seems perfectly calm, polite and gracious.

His SNL stuff and stand up are still fresh to us thanks to reruns, but that really was a long time ago. His last stand up special was in 1987. Cant really blame him for moving on and not trying to relive his teens and twenties.

He's even said that once his kids came along, he wanted to do stuff that he could watch with them. If he's being honest, it was a conscious decision to shift his career into kid friendly stuff and give up his edge.
oragator
It's not that he's moved on, it's that he has been so over the top bitter about some jokes made about him. That's what SNL does. Heck even Sunday night they had Lovitz as part of the obituary, but Murphy has avoided all things SNL because of it. I mean the guy ( should have) more bank than anyone on that stage, he won and a lot of that came from his success there, where they gave him kinds of exceptions no one else got. He should let it go, jmo.
LHIOB
AG
Im a Norm fan so Im biased but this is just amazing

Linking from phone so I may f it up

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/norm-macdonald-eddie-murphy-was-to-be-cosby-in-celebri-1686686768?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Im a Norm fan so Im biased but this is just amazing

Linking from phone so I may f it up

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/norm-macdonald-eddie-murphy-was-to-be-cosby-in-celebri-1686686768?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

That would've been awesome, but I think that's pretty cool of Eddie to not kick a man who's down
schmendeler
AG
Fun bit of insider's info from norm
Gig-Em2003
AG
Why not ask Eddie to do something else that wasn't a jab at Cosby?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Eddie's star has fallen completely. He hasn't been relevant for 15 years, and maybe he's bitter about that and feels that if he keeps acting like he's above SNL, everyone will believe it.

I mean even Bill Murray did a skit, and everyone knows how much he avoids that kind of stuff these days. (Best part of the show, IMO.)
LHIOB
AG
In a room full of mega stars I think everyone there is still in awe of Bill Murray
LHIOB
AG
Here a little history on the Jaws song
Jacques
quote:

I think this was all being written pretty quickly. It sounds like they had a few people come in early to write it. They had something for the guys coming in later. Murphy's bit was going to be Cosby. He nixed it and they didn't have anything else for him.

That was a really great behind the scenes look. When the show ain't great you can understand why--it's being written quickly every week.
InternetFan02
AG
quote:
agreed. Knowing that whatever Eddie did would get the biggest applause on the show they should have made a bigger effort to make it work if he was indeed listening to pitches. But I'm sure they did and we only have Norm's perspective on it.

By the way I can't get enough of all the post-show commentary on this event. Feels like it was under hyped leading up and now all these great stories are exploding afterward.
InternetFan02
AG
I think best opportunity for Eddie would have been fake Stevie Wonder appearing with fake Sinatra
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Same here. The BS Report podcast with Seth Meyers was a really interesting look behind the scenes and into the afterparty.

From his and Fallon's accounts of it, sounds like one of the best afterparties of all time, better than Oscar ones even.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
By the way I can't get enough of all the post-show commentary on this event. Feels like it was under hyped leading up and now all these great stories are exploding afterward.

Same. I'd have given anything to be at that party.
LHIOB
AG
Eddie on Spade's joke

Im with y'all...the story of the night is more fun than the show its self. Ive been an SNL nerd since my dad introduced me to show when I was in 4th or 5th grade. This was before Comedy Central and VH1 would should old episodes. Most of them were from the 70s so I was really into that cast. I read all the books and watched every Saturday, like most of you.

The history of the show is just amazing, especially what comes out of the writers room and the stuff they did for fun. The story about Sandler, Spade, Farley and Rock all sharing an office is awesome.

I love that Norm stole the Jeopardy skit but waited to ask a SCTV alum if they could use it.

Im so pumped about Live From New York
cajunaggie08
AG
Chris Parnell's story from the SNL 40 after party

quote:
Kevin and John Farley, Chris' brothers, were pretending to hump me.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2wgj6n/chris_parnell_thespian_ama/coqmt3f?context=3
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sounds like it's gonna be a cool documentary.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Im so pumped about Live From New York

Awesome. First I'd heard about that... I'll probably buy this book. Taschen puts together great stuff.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/02/see-rare-behind-the-scenes-snl-photos.html

Quad Dog
AG
If you're an SNL fan, I highly recommend this oral history book. They've been making updates to it ever since it was written, so make sure you get the latest version.
http://www.amazon.com/Live-From-New-York-Uncensored/dp/0316735655
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Apparently Chevy Chase wanted to host a few years ago but Lorne said he was too old.

Wow, even Lorne hates him.
Malachi Constant
AG
Would've liked to see Rob Schneider.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I finally read that Norm MacDonald twitter piece. Very cool
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Regarding some of the former cast members "missing" from the show....

Jay Mohr said that he was invited but he felt that his time on the show was so inconsequential, that showing up would make him seem like a "wannabe", so he respectfully declined. I actually really respect that. Seems like there were some other people there that could've used the same mindset (Finesse Mitchell for example).
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
Regarding some of the former cast members "missing" from the show....

Jay Mohr said that he was invited but he felt that his time on the show was so inconsequential, that showing up would make him seem like a "wannabe", so he respectfully declined. I actually really respect that. Seems like there were some other people there that could've used the same mindset (Finesse Mitchell for example).

Cool
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I also really want to address some of the Eddie Murphy disparagement from the past couple of pages. I think some of you may be too young to realize A) Just how BAD SNL really had gotten when he showed up and B) Just how HUGE of a celebrity he was in the 80's. Eddie was at THE tippy top of the A-list during the mid and late 80's. He was being mentioned in the same breath as Pryor as far as comedy in concerned. EVERYTHING he touched turned to gold back then.

There really can be no argument that Eddie saved SNL when he showed up. Hell, even Norm Macdonald said as much in his Twitter feed (he's a GREAT Twitter follow by the way). That show was circling the drain. Eddie not only saved it but introduced some of the most enduring characters and sketches in the history of the show. And like Chris Rock said in his introduction of him, many of those characters were one offs. They were THAT good. And that was BEFORE he was a household name.

I have ZERO issue with the "BJ" he was given on the special. I'm only disappointed by the fact that Eddie didn't participate more. He clearly doesn't care or need the money, but frankly I think him doing one or two of the classic characters may have been just what his career needs currently. There's no doubt it would have gone viral and introduced him to an entire generation who (as someone already stated) only know him as "Donkey" from Shrek.
BigRobSA
I saw that the SNL40 special was "On Demand" from my cable provider, and since I'd missed it, and used to be an avid watcher of the show (stopped watching after Fallon left, for the most part, though I still will catch a show every once in a while), I decided to check it out.

My God that was horrible. I made it to the weekend update crap, and just gave up and turned it off. And I had to force myself to make it THAT far.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Last night with The Rock was one of the funniest in a very long time.
MW03
AG
Michael Che is terrrrrrrrrrible on Weekend Update.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Rock Obama

The Bambi/Furious mash-up.
Counterpoint
AG
I laughed out loud at every sketch before Update. Loved it! Hated everything after Update though.
Fresh Off The Boat
Coco Knockout was amazing.

"HE HAS SO MUCH HERPES"
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
That's right!! I Catfished your ass!!!

That was a great skit.
Squirrel Master
AG
quote:
I laughed out loud at every sketch before Update. Loved it!

Pretty much came here to say this. The first hour of the show was basically as perfect as SNL can get.

Coco Knockout may be one of the funniest sketches I've ever seen. Also, the d-bag with the British girlfriend at the restaurant was hilarious. Her song killed me, also how perfectly the Rock nailed that part. The Rock Obama was a genius premise, with weak execution, but the reveal was worth the laughs.

I actually thought this was a very strong WU, relative to other Jost/Che efforts. Some very solid jokes. Che's throwaway line at the end of the Whites/Blacks bit about the Mexicans having a great farm system was great. Willie the Optimistic Neighbor is a hilarious character.
CrottyKid
AG
I liked it all. Great episode. Best episode in the last few years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.