Resurrecting THE PROJECTION LIST and I need some TexAgs feedback…

36,692 Views | 408 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by LeFraud
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
How's it coming along? Need.The.Projection.List.

Still. Waiting.

I've given all my notes to the programmers (which was over a week ago), addressed every remaining bug, and am now basically just waiting for them to fix/finish the last 2% or so of the site based on those notes. I still have a decent amount of data entry to do myself, but I should be done by the end of the week (the TV section is taking WAY longer than expected).

The gist of the delay is that the designers are basically fitting this in to their schedule when they can now. As I've said before, I don't think any of us realized how much programming was going to be needed for this thing, and it's obviously gone way, way over schedule. Once the twelve-week contract date came and went, they've had a ton of other, bigger corporate projects they have to do, and so this is kind of a passion project for them now, squeezing in updates and fixes when they can. Which is only once a week sometimes, and maybe only for a few hours. So, yeah, whenever they get the time to knock out this last 2% or so, that's when it'll be done.

I'm talking to them again today, so I should have a better idea then.
BEaggie08
AG
Thanks for the update. I don't mean to pester, I'm just excited.

Sounds like it's going to turn out very nice.
TCTTS
AG
No worries. I definitely appreciate the enthusiasm!

As much the design team has gone above and beyond what I ever expected - and are still super cool and enthusiastic - I'm pretty sure they're absolutely sick of me, and are so increadibly ready to be done. They straight up told me I've been the most detail-oriented client they've ever worked with, and I'm sure I've been a pain in the ass to them that way, but I can't not strive to make sure this thing is as flawless as can be, at least within the confines of what we initially set out to do (like I said, I consider this version that's launching maybe 90% of what I envision as the true, final product, but there's nothing I can do about that right now). Anyway, point being, "very nice" is absolutely what I've been aiming for, and that has definitely been a big part of the delay as well. That said, it's an insanely simple and straightforward site (on the front end at least), so it'll be interesting to see how people respond. Either way, I cannot wait to be done, and just get this thing out there.
TCTTS
AG
Wow. As of this afternoon, it looks like Box Office Mojo has officially been absorbed by IMDb (who, in turn, is owned by Amazon). IMDb bought Box Office Mojo a few years ago, but still kept the site separate. Now, it looks like IMDb will try their hand at reporting/chronicling box offices figures themselves, and bloggers/journalist are PISSED. IMDb is one of the most complicated, overly-busy sites out there, and box office figures (like release dates) will no doubt get lost in the shuffle there. That said, Box Office Mojo was also a HUGE resource for release info, and I've seen multiple bloggers/journalists on Twitter wondering where they'll get their release info now. In other words, this may be perfect timing for a NEW release date resource to hit...
TCTTS
AG
http://www.thewrap.com/box-office-mojo-absorbed-into-imdb-com/
double aught
AG
Well then, you should get it done.
TCTTS
AG
We're close! The programmers made some progress this week, but still waiting on them to finish the last few things on the checklist...
bagger05
AG
quote:
We're close! The programmers made some progress this week, but still waiting on them to finish the last few things on the checklist...

They've had a little more than three hours since you posted this. I assume they have to be finished by now, right?
Saxsoon
AG

Nice Bagger

The most important thing of any venture is the timing in it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wow, crazy. I was just on box office mojo two days ago. Sucks it's gone.

This is a huge opportunity for you TC.
TCTTS
jeffk
AG
HURRY UP, NERDS!!!
TCTTS
AG
Cracking the whip on Monday. Like I've said before, the programmers have a ton of other projects going on right now, and I've been at their mercy, but it's time to start applying the pressure a more. All the bugs have been found and fixed, it's just a matter of implementing a couple more tiny features and then taking whatever final step necessary to prep for launch. I still have to finish the listings on my end, but I'm almost done. Will be in Austin the second half of next week, so hopefully we can launch the week after that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Box Office Mojo is back up.
TCTTS
AG
Saw that. Sounds like people *****ed so much that Amazon/IMDb decided not to do whatever it is they were trying to do. Oh, well. It was still good to hear how dissatisfied people are with IMDb and release coverage in general.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Here's for an October launch day.
schmendeler
AG
what if this whole website is just an epic troll and it's never going to be released?!?
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
what if this whole website is just an epic troll and it's never going to be released?!?
TCTTS
AG
quote:

Ha! I've honestly worried at times that people on here may actually think this.

It's real. I promise. And we're very, very close.

Word for word, here are two excerpts from the latest email exchange between myself and the head of the design company last week:

ME: I have no doubt you guys are crazy busy with other projects, but I was wondering when you anticipate having the final phase complete on your end? I've been concentrating lately on getting the blog content exactly where I want it, and I'll be out of town for the next four days, but will be ready to start knocking out the last bit of content on the main site come Monday. Is a launch the first week of November a possibility? I'd love to try and have everything ready to go by then.

DESIGN HEAD: As you guessed, we have been slammed and pulled in a million directions. I apologize for our delay. We're dying to complete TPL and get it online. I'm going to schedule a meeting this week to regroup, finalize the last phase, and come up with a quote and timeline. I will follow up with you about this. Thanks for your patience.

Since then, we've gone over a few final checklist issues, but still no date on their end. Honestly, I don't see how it can possibly be much longer. There's really not a ton left to do, save for the implementation of these final few additions. As of now, the site is 100% bug free. When I have a date, you guys will be the first to know...
Sex Panther
AG
I know your pain. It takes a much longer time than most people realize.

Unrelated, your sister's business looks really great.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, never in a million years did I expect it to take this long. Glad to hear it's not uncommon.

And thanks, SP. We were racing each other, seeing who could get their project/business up and running first. She beat me by a couple weeks, despite having far more headaches to deal with than I ever will.

Speaking of, I might as well do some cross promotion...

If any of you - or your wives/girlfriends, in particular - are ever in Austin, check out my sister's new boutique, FOUND, which opened this past weekend:

501 Oakland at West 5th
www.foundaustin.com
http://instagram.com/foundaustin
TCTTS
AG
Also, I finalized the blog url today for anyone who has it bookmarked...

www.projectionlistblog.com

Because Squarespace is on a different server than the one hosting the main site, we couldn't do projectionlist.com/blog or anything like that. We had to go with a completely new url instead.
BEaggie08
AG
a little help.

Found
TCTTS
AG
^ Wow, I left off the www. I'm an idiot. Coincidentally, it was actually down. I even texted my sister about it and she said someone was working on it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
HEy TC- the blog looks great. I really like the use of white space and the fonts on the blog. Very readable and I don't feel like giant banner ads are about to descend on me.

Now that I've buttered you up, do you know anything about a company called Lightbeam Systems that does hardware for visual effects? Starting some freelancing tomorrow for them and just curious if the ywere well known - their credential list has a lot of big action films on it.

TIA
TCTTS
AG
Thanks! Great to hear.

As for Lightbeam Systems, I've never heard of them, but I'm not all that familiar with effects companies either. Good luck, though. Sounds like a cool gig.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agree with MuckRaker, love the look. Very clean.
TCTTS
AG
Thanks!
TCTTS
AG
Alright, I know I've given dates before, but this one finally feels like the real deal. We know exactly what's left to do (which again, isn't much), and the programmers should have plenty of time to get it all done, given the timeframe they just gave me. They're getting back to work on the site this Monday for the final push, and say they'll be 100% finished by Friday, November 14. So that means a Monday, November 17 launch. As always, any number of issues could pop up between now and then, but again, we know EXACTLY what needs to be implemented, and it's all based on elements already in place, so there shouldn't be any further bugs/issues. Fingers crossed...
Saxsoon
AG
TCTTS
schmendeler
AG
Getting closer!
TCTTS
AG
As of this week, the programming/site itself is basically DONE. There's an issue with the font for the numbers we're still trying to work out (the overall font we had to use doesn't have monospaced numbers, and that's causing alignment issues - if that means anything to anyone), and then the icons/links along the bottom of the mobile version aren't responding on certain phones for some reason. Other than those two issues, the site is good to go, and sounds like everything should be wrapped up in the next couple of days.

That said, my roommate moved out at the end of the month, and getting this place ready for the next move-in has caused me to get backed up a bit on my end with data entry / listings. But I SHOULD be able to get the rest of it done by the 18th/19th. If I can't make a Wednesday the 19th launch, though, I'm not going to launch after that, that close to Thanksgiving, and I would instead launch on Tuesday, December 2. But I'm doing everything in my power to launch exactly two weeks from today, if not a day or two earlier, depending on how fast I can finish up.

Back to it...
MROD92
Look forward to it Too Close TTS!!
TCTTS
AG
Ha. Thanks!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.