Resurrecting THE PROJECTION LIST and I need some TexAgs feedback…

36,681 Views | 408 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by LeFraud
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Teddy Westside!
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Love the logo. Already have it bookmarked at work

Thanks! (though the url will change once we launch)

For the logo, we tried a hundred different versions of that basic idea. I was afraid it looked too much like an eye chart, or that the vertical T-P-L, H-R-I, etc were too close together, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. (The vertical lines represent the columns/lists on the site, if that's not immediately clear).

Free tip to anyone trying to design a logo: try to come up with a company name that's only one or two words. Your options dwindle considerably with three or more words. There were so many other cooler ideas, but we just couldn't make them work graphically with a name as long as "The Projection List."
Saxsoon
AG
Teddy Westside

Just a very clean look and if the rest of the site looks like the blog you will be golden. I do plan promoting this once you are ready to go live
Saxsoon
AG
I will open with

"Haaaaaave you met Ted?"
TCTTS
AG
Considering I actually live on the westside, I'll take it. I'll add it to the others I constantly get:

- Teddy Ruxpin
- Teddy Bear
- Teddy KGB
- Teddy Ballgame

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 7/16/2014 12:36p).]
TajMaballer
AG
I love the idea of letting people know when DVDs are released, are you also doing a Netflix release date? I don't know if they release info on that, but it usually coincides with DVD release dates.

Great job! Love the columns of movies for pictures!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great blog.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I love the idea of letting people know when DVDs are released, are you also doing a Netflix release date? I don't know if they release info on that, but it usually coincides with DVD release dates.

Unfortunately, Netflix is just too hard to track. And while some of their release dates coincide with DVDs, many of their release dates are actually two or three weeks behind retail, which would mean basically having to do a whole separate page just for Netflix. Then it gets more complicated because I'd have to clarify even further whether it's a streaming release or disc release, and it just becomes too much of a headache. Maybe down the line I can find a way to track Netflix better, if the site catches on. I'll of course be tracking/posting dates for most of their original shows, but that's it for now.

The Blu-ray/DVD/Digital page (titled RETAIL), will simply track the initial retail date for each title. Though, if something like iTunes has a first-run window for a release, I'll note that.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 7/16/2014 1:17p).]
TajMaballer
AG
Totally understandable. Excited for the launch!
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Just a very clean look and if the rest of the site looks like the blog you will be golden. I do plan promoting this once you are ready to go live

Thanks! The rest of the site is super-clean, and I think matches the blog in simplicity. It's a TON of release info/listings, of course, but the layout is as stripped-down and clean as we could possible get it.

We ultimately decided against offering a "condensed" view, which was only going to be the movie title, release date and IMDB/Trailer/Rotten Tomato links (that'll instead be the mobile view), as it left the site a little too bare when not in "expanded" view. But there is an option for the user to eliminate all limited releases and instead view wide releases only, which will streamline everything even more.

And yeah, any promotion would be hugely appreciated. I'll be sending out a clean, "announcement-worthy" email out to over 200 sites/bloggers/journalist/etc on launch day, plus contact every friend and family member I have, but any additional promotion would be amazing. I'll do a big post here in the forum and rally what promotion I can from posters. Cannot wait to get it out there!

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 7/16/2014 1:18p).]
Saxsoon
AG
Got to support that Aggie Network.

I have been slowly spreading word of mouth up here in Seattle about an Aggie opening up a BBQ joint here. Lots of people excited. A webpage should be even easier.

How are you going to market yourself as a supplement/replacement for IMDB?
BEaggie08
AG
I am so damn stoked for your site to be up and running. I just read half way through your blog, and I must say that I love the beautifully simplistic approach. I'll be a frequent visitor of the site and the blog. I'll spread the word among my community of movie lovers when you launch as well. Kudos!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just out of curiosity, do you plan on doing weekend box office reports? I frequent Box Office Mojo on occasion, but if you're gonna be doing that I'll just go to yours for that kinda info.
Pro Ag
AG
Already following on Twitter.

And I was looking to see where I could watch Rise of the Planet of the Apes and found a TV Guide site. I'm not suggesting you provide this type of details for older movies, but I thought it might give you extra ideas for down the line.

[This message has been edited by Pro Ag (edited 7/16/2014 2:55p).]
TCTTS
AG
quote:

Got to support that Aggie Network.

I have been slowly spreading word of mouth up here in Seattle about an Aggie opening up a BBQ joint here. Lots of people excited. A webpage should be even easier.

How are you going to market yourself as a supplement/replacement for IMDB?

That would be awesome!

I'm definitely not looking to replace IMDB by any means. That'd be suicide. This is only release dates and trailers, with just a little more additional info, presented in a way that's never been done before. In fact, every release listing on my site has a link to its respective IMDB page for further info, so I'm actively promoting them.

The idea is to market the site as release date resource, and nothing else. Ideally, if I'm lucky enough to have it take off, just like everyone thinks of IMDB for cast/actor info, Rotten Tomatoes for ratings, and Box Office Mojo for earnings, the ultimate goal is for The Projection List to be thought of as the go-to resource for release dates. Right now, there's no one specializing in dates, at least in the way I'm envisioning. And there's definitely no one aggregating all the various release platforms to one site. So the strategy is to basically point out that there's not a single, predominant release resource destination on the internet, and that any current release resource is basically a somewhat neglected part of a much larger brand.

Granted, the site will be fairly straightforward when initially launched, so it's going to take a while to get it to the same, professional-thought-of level. That said, there's not a site like it on the internet, and the whole point is do something that's far more simple, clean, and stripped-down, so distancing myself from the others in that way is a definite strategy as well.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 7/16/2014 3:05p).]
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Just out of curiosity, do you plan on doing weekend box office reports? I frequent Box Office Mojo on occasion, but if you're gonna be doing that I'll just go to yours for that kinda info.

I'm not. To echo my point in the previous post, I don't want to step on anyone's toes. The goal is not to replace any of the "big three" resources, but rather to fill a gap none of them are currently filling (or at least not filling well). I actively want them to keep specializing in exactly what they specialize in, and it'd be crazy to try and replicate what each of them do best. My goal is release dates only.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
And I was looking to see where I could watch Rise of the Planet of the Apes and found a TV Guide site. I'm not suggesting you provide this type of details for older movies, but I thought it might give you extra ideas for down the line.

Yeah, absolutely. Right now, I'm only concentrating on new movies. But if the site ever blows up, or by some miracle gets bought by someone, I'd absolutely love to expand the listings in anyway I can.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Great blog.

quote:
I am so damn stoked for your site to be up and running. I just read half way through your blog, and I must say that I love the beautifully simplistic approach. I'll be a frequent visitor of the site and the blog. I'll spread the word among my community of movie lovers when you launch as well. Kudos!

quote:
Already following on Twitter.

Much appreciated, guys! Thanks!
Saxsoon
AG
How much of this will take up from your time screenwriting?

What has been your initial feedback from people in the industry if at all? Do you have any connections that can spread the word in the industry itself to add legitimacy
TCTTS
AG
quote:
How much of this will take up from your time screenwriting?

What has been your initial feedback from people in the industry if at all? Do you have any connections that can spread the word in the industry itself to add legitimacy

While the actual development of the site has taken up the majority of my time the past few months, once I launch, it'll only take a couple hours a day - if that - to keep it updated. That's the beauty of it. It's fairly easy to maintain, as long as I have a system in place. So once this thing is finally out the door, I'll be able to get back to writing most of the day. Counting down the days 'til I'm not having to do data entry and/or work through bugs all day long.

My friends in the industry seem to think it'll be a hit, but who knows. I was sitting down with a friend of mine the other day who I hadn't seen in a while - who's worked for a bunch of big-name directors - and we were talking about everything we'd seen lately, and he literally said, "I wish I didn't have to go to a bunch of different sites to see what's coming out. There needs to be one that's all about release dates." I stared at him for a second, then asked if he was messing with me. He had no idea I was starting this site, and when I told him, he thought it was the coolest thing ever. And I know the studios have their own release schedules for employees, but employees have to log in to the systems, which are super-rudimentary. A friend of mine at Warner Bros. said she'd use my site over the studio's in a heartbeat. And I feel like I've had that basic conversation a dozen times or so with various industry people.

Honestly, I have enough friends who work in entertainment, for prominent companies, who have all said they'll pimp the hell out of the site, who know tons of other influential industry types. And like I said, I'm also going to send it out to over 200 bloggers/writers/sites/etc., and if only a couple of those guys with 10,000 followers tweet about it, I should be in good shape. Knock on wood, but I actually think it can catch on in the industry fairly quickly. It's the rest of America that's going to be the real challenge. Getting average-Joe-movie-goer in Iowa to use it on a regular basis, or even become aware of it in the first place, will be tough. Hopefully, that's where friends, family, and TexAgs can help out, just posting it all over Facebook/Twitter/Reddit, etc. I also have a couple publicists friends who can get it mentioned in magazines and what not, but I wanted to see how well (or not well) it does just by word of mouth first, before forking over money on "official" promotion.

Granted, the site has to be cool/useful enough for people to even want to use it in the first place, so we'll see how the response is. It's basically iTunes in list view, as a website, but for movie releases instead of songs. I THINK it's going to go over well, but because it's so simple/different, who knows. Super-anxious to find out...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 7/16/2014 6:07p).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I have a good feeling it will be a hit. To be honest it's surprising this kind of site doesn't exist yet.
jeffk
AG
Seriously, I'm proud of you and your site already.

I know that that sounds trite online, but I really think this is a great idea and I really like the design and execution so far. I'll be looking forward to seeing it continue to progress and become a hit.

Let me know when you want to get down to brass tacks on that Batman: Beyond screenplay.
Saxsoon
AG
Beyond!
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I have a good feeling it will be a hit. To be honest it's surprising this kind of site doesn't exist yet.

I hope you're right! And yeah, same here. Every day that I work on this thing, I'm shocked it doesn't already exist.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Seriously, I'm proud of you and your site already.

I know that that sounds trite online, but I really think this is a great idea and I really like the design and execution so far. I'll be looking forward to seeing it continue to progress and become a hit.

Let me know when you want to get down to brass tacks on that Batman: Beyond screenplay.

Very much appreciated. It really is a cool feeling to finally have pulled the trigger after all this time.

As for Batman Beyond, we'll get back to it as soon as I can! I still think about it every once in awhile...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 7/16/2014 11:16p).]
israeliag
AG
Looking forward to the unveiling! Excited for you on this.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Very cool, TCTTS. Just followed on Twitter and will continue to look for updates on the site.
Good luck. We're all counting on you.
MW03
AG
The extra time you took to polish everything is apparent. Good choice. I'm a fan of the clean look, and I definitely wouldn't add comments at this point.
TCTTS
AG
Thanks, guys! Great to hear.

And yeah, I've definitely decided against comments. Thanks for the input.
Pro Ag
AG
How long do you plan on leaving the release dates up? My wife and I were trying to find something to watch and I wish I could look at movie releases from last fall. I don't want to just aimlessly look at Redbox/iTunes/Amazon, I want to find a movie then find where to watch it.
Redstone
AG
I'll need at least another month before I can provide feedback, although I'm trying to expedite some scheduling.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
How long do you plan on leaving the release dates up? My wife and I were trying to find something to watch and I wish I could look at movie releases from last fall. I don't want to just aimlessly look at Redbox/iTunes/Amazon, I want to find a movie then find where to watch it.

At launch, you'll be able to go back to January 2014, though I won't be going back any earlier than than (past release take up an insane amount of time to enter because there are so many). But in theory, I plan on keeping at least the past two years of releases available. So in January 2016, you'll still be able to see January 2014 releases. But once 2017 comes around, I may go ahead and delete 2014. Still trying to figure out the exact strategy. Regardless, any past titles from the year prior will definitely be available, starting in 2015.
Keegan99
AG
Love it! Just followed on Twitter.

How are you managing your Tweets and Facebook posts? One thing you'll want to do is make sure all are scheduled to reach audiences at peak social media viewing times. And include links.

Also, adding images (along with links) is a huge, huge way to increase visibility on Twitter. Content with media just receives so much more traction.
TCTTS
AG
Thanks!

My Tweets/Facebook posts will be posted whenever the news is announced. I totally agree about wanting to hit peak hours, but being timely is just as important, I think. News almost always drops at peak hours, though, so it's win-win. So, as long as I catch the news of a release when it's announced, I'll post/update the news within a couple minutes. And once the site is up and running, I'll be including the respective page urls; projectionlist.com/theatrical, projectionlist.com/tvseries, etc.

As for the weekly "this week" posts I've been doing with the pics, I post those on Mondays to kick off the week. Will be aiming for 10 Pacific / Noon Central-ish in general. Haven't decided if I'll add pics to the regular updates, though. Maybe for the big ones, because a lot of the smaller ones don't even have images yet since they're not even filming.
Keegan99
AG
quote:
Haven't decided if I'll add pics to the regular updates, though. Maybe for the big ones, because a lot of the smaller ones don't even have images yet since they're not even filming.

Then consider attaching a stock photo of the director or writer or star. Anything.

It sounds totally ridiculous, but it works on Twitter.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.