Resurrecting THE PROJECTION LIST and I need some TexAgs feedback…

36,696 Views | 408 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by LeFraud
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Real quick, again - any ANDROID users experiencing issues, here's an email I just got back from the programmers:

quote:
Can you ask the Android users to send us a screen shot, or let us know what happens specifically when they rotate their devices? Do they start in portrait view? Do they see the message to rotate their devices? What are their devices and operating system? We tested the site on a ton of android devices and never saw this issue. Would love some more details so we can address it.

Would be a big help if I could just get even minimal info to pass along.

Thanks!
TCTTS
AG
Also, any other overarching issues???

Outside of the Adblock issue - which is currently being looked into - any Firefox problems? Any loading issues in general? We've got a window here to address some of this stuff, and I just want to make sure we get to it all today and tomorrow, if possible.
TCTTS
AG
I was going to wait and post this with the official launch, but this may help in testing as well. Essentially, it's a FAQ of sorts, or more accurately, a few basic "pro tips" for using the site...

http://www.projectionlistblog.com/prompt
Saxsoon
AG
Let them know I am using a droid razr maxx hd using Android 4.4.2 on Chrome. I do realize though that I have an update I need to do that may be causing it.

Also if I was already in portrait it was no problem. I couldn't do it earlier but I was able to reload the page and that seemed to fix the issue once in portrait.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Let them know I am using a droid razr maxx hd using Android 4.4.2 on Chrome. I do realize though that I have an update I need to do that may be causing it.

Also if I was already in portrait it was no problem. I couldn't do it earlier but I was able to reload the page and that seemed to fix the issue once in portrait.

Thanks a ton. Just passed that along.
Sex Panther
AG
I don't use Firefox but I'm playing around on it right now and I'm not seeing any problems.

Just want to reiterate how good I think the site looks. Very professional. You and your team did a great job.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Samsung Galaxy S4 here with Android 4.4.2, using Chrome.

When I open the page in portrait view, I get the message to rotate. When I do, the message does not disappear.

When I hit refresh, the site comes up.

When I rotate back to portrait, the message does not re-appear.

Opening the page directly in landscape view works fine.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I don't use Firefox but I'm playing around on it right now and I'm not seeing any problems.

Just want to reiterate how good I think the site looks. Very professional. You and your team did a great job.

Thanks, SP! That's so great to hear. Over the course of this thing being built, I've come up with so many little design tweaks and additional changes I'd like to see implemented, but can't yet since this version had to be "locked" way back when. In other words, what I see right now already feels somewhat old and riddled with design tweaks I'd like to make. It's hard releasing something I'm not 100% satisfied with (though I do absolutely LOVE what we've put together overall - I'm at like 92% right now). So it's really great to hear people respond to this version positively.
TCTTS
AG
Wow, thanks Brian. Just did a screenshot of your post and passed it along. That's super helpful.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Glad I could help.
Malachi Constant
AG
At a bar at O'Hare airport and looking at the site on my iPad and the guy next to me asked me what the site was.

I just said it was a film site "my friend" is working on.
TCTTS
AG
Ha! That's awesome!
Malachi Constant
AG
TC this site will be at the top of /r/movies when you decide to submit it.
TCTTS
AG
^ That would be amazing. I'm not a huge reddit user, but absolutely understand how much traffic it can bring. That said, is a link/post there best coming from me or someone else? In other words, do users respond poorly to people trying to pimp their own stuff? Or is better if someone else posts it and is basically like, "Check this out!"
Bunk Moreland
you won't have to worry about it. I don't use reddit enough to be real versed in it either, but i'd let it organically go on there and then shoot to the top.
Malachi Constant
AG
Posts like "wow I've waited for a site like this to come along for a long time- all the future movie listings in one place. It's awesome" seem to do the best over there.

Also, I give it one year until imdb offers you money for the site.
TCTTS
AG
Good to know. Out of all the people I'll be sending this to, hopefully it'll naturally make its way to reddit relatively quickly.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Also, I give it one year until imdb offers you money for the site.

Ha, knock on wood. That said, I'm not going to be coy about my intentions. Something like that is exactly what I'm hoping to do. After I get more feedback upon launch, I'll do another round of updates to the site (which you can find listed at the bottom of Prompt page), getting everything exactly where I want it, then I'll do some legit advertising spring-ish of next year. I'd like to then spend a year or so really building the brand on my own, then hopefully someone comes calling after that, or down the line. Who knows how this will all play out, though. Not getting my hopes up, but I also wouldn't have done this if selling it wasn't a final goal of sorts.
TajMaballer
AG
So should we start a pool for when IMDB buys this site? Freaking amazing TC!

Personally, I am partial for the artwork you used. Reminds me of a Wes Anderson film.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Thanks to The Projection List, I know about the existence of Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 and when it will be released!

(You may not want to include that in any advertising).

I use a few sites to fill up my Netflix queue with whatever I missed at the theater, and I think most of them make you go week by week and scroll through some titles maybe listed by box office or something. This format is much easier to look at and get the information I need. Looks good.

How did you decide on what TV series to add?
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Thanks to The Projection List, I know about the existence of Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 and when it will be released!

Saw a trailer for that two nights ago in Horrible Bosses 2. Didn't even remotely crack a smile. Hard to imagine that there are people that find that entertaining... And I actually kind of like Kevin James.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I use a few sites to fill up my Netflix queue with whatever I missed at the theater, and I think most of them make you go week by week and scroll through some titles maybe listed by box office or something. This format is much easier to look at and get the information I need. Looks good.

Exactly why I did it. Awesome that it's doing its job. Love hearing that.

quote:
How did you decide on what TV series to add?

The underlying theme is anything that's "cinematic," i.e. no network shows or procedurals. Mostly cable series; stuff that plays more like a long movie over 13 episodes rather than 24 contained episode over the course of a year. Basically any original series airing on any of these channels...

AMC
BBC America
Cinemax
FX
HBO
Netflix
Showtime
Starz

But again, I still have a whole lot more to add.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
So should we start a pool for when IMDB buys this site? Freaking amazing TC!

Personally, I am partial for the artwork you used. Reminds me of a Wes Anderson film.

Ha! Thank you!

As for the artwork, I had no idea how people were going to respond to it. I originally wanted something clean and straight-edged, almost like stark blueprint versions of those basic concepts/screens, but my friend who's an amazing professional graphic artist, suggested something a little more quirky, something that contrasted the starkness of the site little more. I was a little hesitant at first, but I ended up being pleasantly surprised at how well it works. The Wes Anderson angle never even crossed my mind. Makes me like it even more.

You can check out more of my friend's work here...

http://maxulichney.com

Really, he's phenomenally talented. He's worked on - and even won awards for - a lot of national commercial campaigns you might recognize. His most popular recent work is that sick Adidas spot that kept airing during the World Cup this summer...

http://vimeo.com/94715871
Sex Panther
AG
Cool stuff about your friend and his art. I like it as well and think it was a good choice for his exact reasoning. It pairs very well.

Never saw that commercial, but it is impressive.
TCTTS
bagger05
AG
Potential typos/minor errors (not sure if you've had proofreading done yet and figured it doesn't hurt anything to point them out):

On theatrical page:
Pacific Rom 2

On retail page:
Header for the projected dates for first quarter 2015 says 2014 instead of 2015

Is it weird to be "proud" of a person you don't know? Probably more creepy than weird, I guess...

Site looks fantastic. I know about a dozen people who will absolutely love this site (but I am showing restraint and not sending them the link). Anyone who likes movie trailers is going to bookmark this page.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Potential typos/minor errors (not sure if you've had proofreading done yet and figured it doesn't hurt anything to point them out):

On theatrical page:
Pacific Rom 2

On retail page:
Header for the projected dates for first quarter 2015 says 2014 instead of 2015

Is it weird to be "proud" of a person you don't know? Probably more creepy than weird, I guess...

Site looks fantastic. I know about a dozen people who will absolutely love this site (but I am showing restraint and not sending them the link). Anyone who likes movie trailers is going to bookmark this page.

You didn't see the first "Pacific Rom"? Really great movie.

Seriously, though, nice catch. Just fixed both of those issues. And I really appreciate the sentiment. Great to hear that friends you know will use it as well, and thanks for holding off on emailing them!
jeffk
AG
TC,

Can I send you $10 now and then get a huge check when you sell the site for $10 million?

Great looking site! Really easy to use and I love the format and simple design.
schmendeler
AG
Yes, now that all the hard work had been done, I'm interested in becoming a silent partner.
Saxsoon
AG
Should have a part of the site with a list of all our names/tags as intellectual partners/test monkeys in TPL
TCTTS
AG
Ha, if there was a way to include everyone in on this, I'd totally do it. That said, I seriously doubt any potential sale would be worth all that much, relatively speaking. In no way do I ever expect to get rich off this thing. Just wanted to try and make a little cash on the side through ad revenue, and then if I ever happen to sell the site and just make back my money plus a little more, I'd be happy. More than anything, I just wanted something like this to exist. It drove me crazy that it didn't.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Great looking site! Really easy to use and I love the format and simple design.

I love hearing that! Thank you!
TCTTS
AG
Good news / bad news...

I got some really great feedback from some industry friends this weekend, but it's feedback that's going to push the launch back a bit (I know, I know). Basically, one of my friends likes the site so much he got me a meeting with a big PR agency on Wednesday. He used to work with them, and they do all of Facebook's stuff apparently, and I guess their interest was piqued by what he showed them of the site on Friday. I have no idea if I'll be able to afford them, but my friend said they're worth every penny, can get me more hits than I ever thought possible, or, at the very least, could help strategize some kind of super-effective rollout if I do it all myself. I wanted to wait to officially advertise until after the next round of updates, but as a former PR guy himself, my friend insisted that I should do all that now with the initial launch, I only have one shot, etc.

He also ranted and raved about how dumb it would be to launch days before all of Hollywood shuts down for two weeks. I definitely agree, but after having to delay the launch so many times, I just wanted it out there before Christmas. That said, between this meeting and the fact that the programmers still haven't figured out the AdBlock thing, I'm basically forced to wait until the first week of January. So one last delay, unfortunately. At least it's actually up and running now, you guys can be using it, and I have a chance to get this thing out there in a far more legitimate way, potentially. Ultimately, I could run/update this site in my sleep, but when it comes to actually launching the damn thing, I know next to nothing. So hopefully this is a good thing, and it sounds like it is.

That said, PLEASE continue to keep the site close to the vest. Now that it's live, I know it's inevitable that someone's going to talk, or it's going to trickle out, but now that I also have a shot with this super-legit agency, it's more important than ever that it stay under wraps. I may even get the programmers to take it offline for now if they can, but that seems a little extreme. Will talk to them tomorrow, and keep you guys updated.
double aught
AG
Sounds like a good course of action. Hope it's even more successful.
Saxsoon
AG
Do what is best for you TC. Like your friend says, you have one shot at it and you should take it!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.