Resurrecting THE PROJECTION LIST and I need some TexAgs feedback…

36,669 Views | 408 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by LeFraud
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't know if I'd quite call it a dream. Rather, something I can hopefully turn into some extra $$$ while I continue to pursue my actual dream of screenwriting. Though, I guess I am pretty passionate about the site. Definitely psyched to finally turn this thing into a reality. I appreciate the sentiment, nonetheless.
Saxsoon
AG
Badass
Quad Dog
AG
Had this thought the other day: that you could have the generic site be free, but have the ability to customize the site be a paid subscription service. So I pay some amount per yer, but can add, remove, and reorder any columns I want. I'm not a huge fan of site subscriptions, but some people would pay it for site customization, and it would be a good source of money.
TCTTS
AG
^ Kind of like an IMDB / IMDB Pro thing. Gonna try the ad route first and see how that goes, but that's definitely worth considering.
Saxsoon
AG
I didn't even know there was an IMDB pro, they need to market that better.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, it's like $100/year or something. Basically lets you see a little more data. Agent info, random production info for movies a couple years in the future, etc.
Sex Panther
AG
This is awesome TC, can't wait to see the poject evolve and come to fruition.
TCTTS
diehard14
AG
Pretty cool idea. I have always enjoyed talking about movies, characters, and plots. I have always been a bigger fan of a well written movie over the ole big boob/explosion type movie.

I have been on TA for a while and just found the entertainment board recently. I have enjoyed reading everything.

As for the site, what a great idea. I would use it.
TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
Quick question...

Buddy of mine who works in the industry pointed me to this site yesterday:

http://www.movieinsider.com/
(click the "Upcoming" tab at the top for the actual release schedule)

I honestly feel stupid for somehow having never heard of this site. It's never come up in any Google search, and I've literally never seen anyone reference it in all my time following movie news (since roughly '97).

So here's my question... do you any of you who saw my mock-ups - or understand what I'm trying to do - think this is too close in concept? My buddy didn't seem to think so, he just wanted me to see what he currently uses as a "professional."

Granted, the whole point of my site is to be fun and accessible for everyone - not just industry types - and I do think this Movie Insiders site feels far more insider-y than I'd ever want to go. A little too technical (if not extremely cheesy-sounding). That, and it looks like it was designed in 1999. Nor does it cover TV or Trailer Dates, allow for iTunes-like column organizing, or feature many of the other bells and whistles my site will have (trailers available to view in-site, Rotten Tomato links, expanded/condensed view, etc.). That being said, Movie Insiders does cover Blu-ray/Netflix as well, in addition to featuring a very extensive and comprehensive list of upcoming movies (but none of the "projected" titles my site would feature).

Again, I think I'm fine. If anything, what I'm trying to do would be far more stylish, simple, straightforward, and accessible. And it wouldn't require near the same amount of navigating. Even something as comprehensive as Movie Insiders still falls in the same category of other release sites that are just too busy and confusing. Even I get lost trying to navigate this site.

Still, I just want to know - and please, be honest - if anyone think this site might deem mine unnecessary. In other words, would you start using this site now instead of switching over to mine in a couple months?

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 1/20/2014 1:25p).]
Sex Panther
AG
That site sucks, and your site is cool. Competition is good.
TCTTS
AG
Excellent.

Thanks, SP.
bagger05
AG
quote:
That site sucks, and your site is cool. Competition is good.

Agreed.
TCTTS
Btron
AG
That site looks like imdb looked like in 2005. And I have no idea what I'm looking at on that site.
You don't do either of those and you'll be fine.
TCTTS
AG
This is random, but...

I'm legitimately offering to PayPal $100 to anyone who's able to actually get me in contact with the current owners of theprojectionlist.com. I let the domain lapse a couple years back, and now it looks like it was swooped up by someone this past November, even though I checked before then and it was still owned by someone else.

This past Monday, I paid a fee to GoDaddy for them to try and track down the current owner and begin negotiations for me to re-buy the domain, but I haven't heard anything back yet (they'll attempt for 30 days). I also tried to contact the owners myself, but it's like they're ghosts. What's so weird is that the current theprojectionlist.com is so obviously some kind of generic placeholder site. As if whoever owns it specifically swooped in to resell the domain. But there's no contact info whatsoever. Not anywhere.

Anyway, below is all the information I can find on the current owners, who are apparently located in Australia. Their email is hidden via some kind of privacy act, and the phone number is a disconnected number out of New Jersey (which I already tried).

I've already registered projectionlist.com, so I'm good to go on that front if need be, but it sure would be nice to re-acquire theprojectionlist.com as well. I know it's a long shot, but seriously, if anyone knows some kind of work-around, and is able to actually get me in contact via a legit/working/authentic email for the current owners, and I DO establish contact with them, I'll seriously PayPal you $100.

Thanks, guys...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 2/6/2014 2:07p).]
bagger05
AG
cybersquatters
heisatouchdown
AG
Hey TC sorry to derail the thread a bit, but do you have any tips / books to read for beginning to write screenplays? I've had an idea bouncing around in my head for a while that I wanted to just get on paper to say I tried. Thanks in advance and good luck tracking down those domain squatters.
schmendeler
AG
have you tried reaching out to this "privacy protect" organization? they might be able to contact the owners for you.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Hey TC sorry to derail the thread a bit, but do you have any tips / books to read for beginning to write screenplays? I've had an idea bouncing around in my head for a while that I wanted to just get on paper to say I tried. Thanks in advance and good luck tracking down those domain squatters.

Save the Cat by Blake Snyder is probably my top recommendation. It's a double-edged sword, though, in that made me see movies/screenwriting in a whole new way, but it's also somewhat ridiculed in the industry for preaching a far too formulaic method. I'd say it's essential reading for knowing the basic structure/beats of the vast majority of movies out there, just DON'T become a slave to its teachings. Basically, it was the first book that showed me there's far more structure to movies/screenplays than just three-acts, and it helped my OCD brain be able to break down stories in an almost mathematical sense, but if you follow its "rules" too closely, you may not be allowing your story to be what it needs to be. In other words, it helps you to know the rules, but you also need to eventually learn how best to break them.

Other than that one, anything by William Goldman or Syd Field is a must-read as well. Though, the absolute BEST thing you can do is just read scripts. Tons of them. For movies already made AND unproduced. Seriously, if you really want to do this, there's NOTHING more important than reading script after script after script. It's really the only way to learn the "language."

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 2/6/2014 4:06p).]
TCTTS
AG
quote:
have you tried reaching out to this "privacy protect" organization? they might be able to contact the owners for you.

Yeah, I already filled out the request form on their site, so we'll see if that does anything.
TexasAggies06
AG
quote:
I've already registered projectionlist.com, so I'm good to go on that front if need be, but it sure would be nice to re-acquire theprojectionlist.com as well.

Worked out pretty well for Zuckerberg...
TCTTS
AG
Ha, definitely considering it. Thoughts from everyone else?

PROJECTION LIST

or

THE PROJECTION LIST

In this case, there's just something about the "The" that adds that extra needed sound, but I could potentially be swayed to drop it. Really hard to tell.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 2/6/2014 4:45p).]
TexasAggies06
AG
I actually like the "The", your post just made me think of that scene...
Saxsoon
AG
In this case I like the "The"

And that other site is more closely in line with IMDB that you will ever have to worry about.
TCTTS
AG
Thanks, guys. Really like the "The" too in this instance. Hopefully I'll be able to lock it down.
Simplebay
AG
definitely The. The the plays.
TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I agree, it sounds better with The.
schmendeler
AG
The name sounds better with the "the" but I don't know that I care either way regarding the domain name. That said, it'd be advantageous to have both for redirecting purposes.

[This message has been edited by Schmendeler (edited 2/6/2014 5:45p).]
Sex Panther
AG
"The"
TCTTS
Saxsoon
AG
What is your opinion TC if you have projectionlist.com but the website logo still is The Projection List? Obviously having both is nice as mentioned above for redirecting purposes, but I don't think you should sacrifice something you are attached to simply because you can't find the people who own it.

I simply believe that the "The" adds a bit of gravitas to it and makes it a bit more "definitive" than just projection list.
TCTTS
AG
^ I'll probably go with "The Projection List" for the site logo regardless. Especially since I registered "The Projection List, LLC" just this morning with the state via a lawyer (not that it ultimately matters).

Not having a "The" in the address won't be that big of a deal, should it come to that. Though, securing the other domain sure would help quell any potential confusion...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 2/6/2014 8:03p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.