Resurrecting THE PROJECTION LIST and I need some TexAgs feedback…

36,662 Views | 408 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by LeFraud
israeliag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
if your site is named THE projection list, your domain should match.

Best would be to own both, like facebook did (and still does) in the early days, to help increase buy-in.

How's the site development coming along?
TCTTS
AG
^ I agree completely. Currently doing everything I can to secure the "The," including bribing TexAgs

As for the site itself, development finally, officially kicks off next week. It's taken a while for the developers to A) figure out exactly how they're going to build this thing, and B) deliver a few of their current projects in order to secure the time & team it'll take to get this thing done.

Speaking of, because the programming is somewhat of a challenge, once they really started looking at the nuts & bolts, they realized it's going to take a little longer than expected to build. Three months to be exact. That being the case, I told them I want to launch first week of May (the beginning of the summer movie season) and they told me that's doable.

I actually get the contract tomorrow (Friday), and we have our first development meeting scheduled for Wednesday of next week. At which point they'll actually start building the site. We've already had a few good conversations about logo/header ideas, and everyone in the office has gone over my mock-ups pretty thoroughly. So now all that's left is for me to sign the contract and give them a down payment. That, and as I mentioned earlier, I set-up an LLC today, which should become official next week as well.

So full steam ahead, aiming for release sometime between Monday, April 28 and Thursday, May 1. Can't wait to get this thing out there...

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 2/7/2014 2:15a).]
Earp16
Jim01
AG
quote:
Hey TC sorry to derail the thread a bit, but do you have any tips / books to read for beginning to write screenplays? I've had an idea bouncing around in my head for a while that I wanted to just get on paper to say I tried. Thanks in advance and good luck tracking down those domain squatters.

I am not a writer, though I keep meaning to, I have Final Draft installed on my computer, but a movie geek and have read a ton of film textbooks just for fun. All kinds of stuff from anecdotal (Bogdanovich's book), to directing, to editing, to screen writing.

The two books a lot of people pointed me to and I read were:

Story by Robert McKee

The Screenwriter's Bible

I will say it all changes how you view movies, but to me in a good way.

For instance there is the simple concept of "hiding the gun" that I think I first heard described by Chuck Palahanuik (author of Fight Club). It's simply the idea that if in the final act a character is going to pull out a gun from a desk drawer and shoot someone, that in an earlier act you need to show someone hiding the gun in that drawer. It's a simple concept but now watching movies with the wife I can spot things 10 minutes into a movie, "Well, someone is going to use that shotgun later..." It's amazing how many movie goers just take things as accidents or don't notice clear setups once you know what you are looking for.

Another example would be when my wife and I went and saw Benjamin Button in the theatre (a movie I still love BTW). Talking about it afterwards I pointed out how I noticed and like Fincher's user of hummingbirds and mirrors. She looked puzzled and I said that I noticed in numerous scenes hummingbirds are referenced, a hummingbird being something that scientifically isn't supposed to be able to fly, but does, just like Benjamin isn't supposed to be, but is. And how in numerous meetings between Pitt and Blanchet mirrors come into play (most noticeably at the dance studio). The mirrors of course noting the fact that they are mirror images of each other, one getting older, one getting younger. Those are things that the average viewer just doesn't see on a casual viewing. It's stuff I do notice because I have read so much about film and seen so many movies, and to me it makes it better

[This message has been edited by Jim01 (edited 2/7/2014 7:58a).]
Saxsoon
AG
You have a stable of beta testers right here willing to help out
TCTTS
AG
quote:
You have a stable of beta testers right here willing to help out
Redstone
AG
Although I'm not crazy about this resurrection, I'm willing to provide feedback....but not until April (2nd week or so) at the very earliest. My schedule is full, which is annoying...let me get with my boss tomorrow, however. A few things (though placed on Outlook) still need final approval and might fall through.
Redstone
AG
Slight correction: more free after April 19, so basically week 3 of the month.
TCTTS
AG
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2453609,00.asp
TCTTS
AG
Next month. Officially.

schmendeler
AG
sweet! to verify, what was the final URL? i just tried theprojectionlist.com and got what looked like a gossip site and then projectionlist.com brought back nothing.
TCTTS
AG
For now, it's just projectionlist.com. We're not hosting anything there currently, though. I might have the blog up earlier, but we'll see. Otherwise, the bulk of the site will go live hopefully either Monday, June 2, or Monday, June 9. Just depends on if there are any hiccups or not.

I tried and tried to secure the "the" url but whoever owns it now is a freaking ghost.
schmendeler
AG
gotcha
double aught
AG
Cool. Good luck.
TCTTS
AG
Thanks!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Looks good.
TCTTS
israeliag
AG
nice graphic!
Redstone
AG
I apologize for incorrectly projecting ahead concerning my schedule and ability to provide detailed feedback. I'm swamped until mid-May, when there will be be a temporary reprieve, for approximately one week. However, I can provide you my assurance that I'll add it to my agenda (I at present use Cozi, although a switch to another platform is feasible).

TCTTS
AG
Well, that June launch date came and went. We're definitely on the homestretch, but still at least a few weeks away from having this thing ready to go. Three weeks ago I'd hoped to be launching around now, so we went ahead and finished the blog, and I started updating the social media accounts, just so there'd be content at those sites once the main site did launch. But now, seeing as we're still at least another three or so weeks away, I don't want to keep posting in a vacuum, so if anyone's interested, I figured I'd go ahead and provide links to all the ancillary sites...

TPL / Blog
TPL / Twitter
TPL / Facebook
TPL / Instagram

The blog url is a temp one for now until we connect it to the main site, and I'm still trying to establish a rhythm with the social media accounts, so please don't share any of these links yet. Trust me, the day the main site launches, I'm going all out, and I'll need all the help I can get blasting this stuff all over the internet. But for now I'd rather keep the ancillary sites among TexAgs and a few close friends. I just wanted to start trickling this stuff out there, maybe gain a few initial followers, and see if you guys had any additional input as we put the finishing touches on everything.

The blog itself is meant to be nothing more than a super-clean, stripped-down, complimentary piece to the main site. It's only real purpose is to give The Projection List a voice; to provide an outlet where personality and opinion can compliment the more concentrated aim of the main site. As for the social media accounts, no offense, but on Twitter I'll only be following a "who's who" of bloggers/writers/directors/sites/etc as a directory of sorts, so I won't be following back. And on Instagram I'll only be following my personal account, since I'm only going to be using the TPL account for posting.

Still, I'd love to hear any feedback or thoughts in general on any of this stuff.

Thanks!
FL_Ag1998
AG
Love the look of the blog. Very clean and straightforward. I hadn't bothered to read anything about Boyhood yet, but after reading your post about it and then watching the trailer, its now on my must see list. Looking forward to the full site.
Redstone
AG
I will provide the promised feedback by August 1.
jeffk
AG
Looks good!
schmendeler
AG
would never have pegged you as a Ted.
Sex Panther
AG
I totally had you pegged as a Ted
TCTTS
AG
Thanks, guys! And good to hear, FL_Ag1998. That's exactly why I'm doing it. Trying to spread the word when it comes to stuff like that.

I've been toying with adding comments to the blog, but I really don't want to deal with all the idiots out there. It would probably increase traffic, I just don't know if it's worth it. Plus, I see fairly popular sites out there that may have only two or three comments per post, and it just comes across as depressing. Think I'll leave the discussion to TexAgs for now, but we'll see.

And the social media accounts will eventually get a little more elaborate, with a broader range of posts. Do the release pics each week help? Do the captions make sense?
Sex Panther
AG
I don't think I'd have comments. Movie trolls are some of the worst kind... but then again who knows? Maybe your site can rise above it.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
would never have pegged you as a Ted.

quote:
I totally had you pegged as a Ted

I've technically been "Teddy" my entire life, but use Ted for more formal stuff. Can no longer hide behind TCTTS, I guess...
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I don't think I'd have comments. Movie trolls are some of the worst kind... but then again who knows? Maybe your site can rise above it.

Agreed on movie trolls being some of the worse. Can turn people off pretty quickly. There are maybe two sites out there with truly great commenters, and the rest are just cesspools. The odds aren't in my favor. I definitely like the simplicity of no posts. Will likely keep it that way for now, though I may give it a shot later if it feels like the audience isn't a bunch of weirdos.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 7/16/2014 11:55a).]
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
if it feels like the audience isn't a bunch weirdos.

Well your core audience is coming from TexAgs so that's not a good start
Sex Panther
AG
Although if the site takes off, it would be amazing to see Redstone unleashed to a whole new unsuspecting corner of the internet.
TCTTS
AG
^ This is true.
Saxsoon
AG
Love the logo. Already have it bookmarked at work
Saxsoon
AG
DP

[This message has been edited by Marsuvees (edited 7/16/2014 12:13p).]
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
the simplicity of no posts

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.